PDA

View Full Version : reno racer

budweiser
06-15-2006, 11:07 PM
anyone have the hobby-lobby reno racer. just purchased one do they fly like it says they do.

flypaper 2
06-16-2006, 02:38 AM
They need 2 to 2 1/2 in. dihedral under each wing to fly stable, otherwise they're a little squirrly. Just came back from an afternoons flying. Managed to knock the rudder off and leave a few prop scars on the stab of my buddies plane. A bit of hot glue and back in the air. Maybe we should use streamers. :D Both are using Little Screamer motors with batts. 6 to 900 MA. Keep the weight down as it's a high wingloaded plane but works well. A good knock around. The wheelpants can go but the landing gear works well. Hope this helps.

budweiser
06-16-2006, 03:40 PM
they need 2 to 2 1/2 dihedral. thats seems like to much. seems like the plane would come down like a rock. but its true and the plane flys then ok.

flypaper 2
06-16-2006, 04:00 PM
It was an experiment to make it fly better than it did with the flat wing as shown. It flies fine with the 2 1/2 ins. Try it at 1 or 1 1/2 just to experiment. After the first flights when it didn't fly to well, I pried the aluminum wire out of the bottom of the wing, slit the centre glue joint, propped the plane upside down on the workbench with a couple of paint cans under the wingtips and glued the wire spar back in and centre joint. Crude but worked fine. Not hard to pry the wire out and change it. Good plane to cartwheel down the runway with.:D Have fun .

budweiser
06-16-2006, 04:07 PM
alright. it has an alumimum rod for the wing spar. could you use a carbon rod instead

flypaper 2
06-16-2006, 04:18 PM
I was thinking about that too but I kind of like the aluminum. If it got wacked with a prop I think it would bend the wire and break the prop. Carbon rod is pretty brittle and may shatter if hit with a prop. I'll stick with the wire till it proves unsatisfactory.:p

budweiser
06-16-2006, 04:30 PM
is their a forum about these things somewhere. will the e-flite 370 outrunner motor be alright for these things.

flypaper 2
06-16-2006, 04:43 PM
370 might be a little much for it weight wise. I have an Eflight 300 to try in it. Weighs the same as the Screamer and swings the same prop at the same amps, but have to try it to say wether it's any good or not. Eflite weighs more than wice as much. Screamer flies around fine at half throttle for aerobatics. Full throttle for combat. Do you have anyone to fly combat with? That's where the fun starts.