PDA

View Full Version : Went tree hugging with my Ultimate

firemanbill
06-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Well I finally got bit by the jumping tree.:( I went out Thursday with my son and his friend and we were having a blast. The Ultimate was flying awesome as usual and I was on my third battery this particular flight.

I was doing laps shooting touch and goes and all was well. The light was good and the wind was lite. At the far end of our church grounds we have a big tall stand of trees separating our church softball field from some houses. I thought I was on our side of the trees and was coming around for a long easy approach and all of a sudden it happens. I made a perfect 3 point landing in the top of a 80' Sycamore tree:( At least I think that's what it was anyway... Ugliest dang tree I have ever seen!

I went over and stood there staring up for the longest time trying to figure out my next move, worrying about the lipo battery sitting in top of the tree with my plane.

A buddy of mine came out johnny on the spot with his climbing spikes and tried to get to it. It got dark on us so we had to leave it be. We went back Friday after work and went at it again. We cut down a real small sapling that was about 20 feet tall but only about 3 inches at the bottom and up he went again. When he got high enough I sent the sapling up to him by rope and he maneuvered it into place to begin poking at it trying to dislodge it. We found out that is really hard to do to a plane sitting atop the canopy of the tree.

We finally got it out. When we started it was not damaged at all but trying to get it down tore off the vertical stab and the top wing. Everything else is OK.

Now the part I was really worried about. The Lipo was plugged up from about 5 pm on Thursday until 6 pm on Friday.I thought it would be toast. When I got it home I put the meter on it and read about 1.2 volts per cell. I figured what the heck let's charge it and see what happens. Well I have a perfectly happy fully charged lipo again.:D

Flew it this morning in the Funtana and charged it again without incident.

Now I just have to get the Bipe back together and the world will be right again.

Now if I can just find my chainsaw:eek: :rolleyes:

Don Sims
06-18-2006, 12:34 AM
Glad you got the plane down in one piece with minimal damage. Watch that tree though, once they get a taste of a plane they develop an insatiable appetite for R/C Planes. Especially foamies!

Old Toad
06-18-2006, 01:23 AM
I've heard some trees are trained to snatch rc planes out of the sky!
Next time take your heli with you just in case.