PDA

View Full Version : Spacewalker 2 ARF from Atec Models

nexgenarf
06-20-2006, 02:38 PM
One of the most recognizable designs of the homebuilt arena is the Spacewalker 2. Now you can take flight to the electrified skies like never before. With our exclusive NexGen ARF™ assembly, you won’t spend much time at the bench. Most modelers can go from box to field in as little as 1 hour.

This balsa and lite plywood model is expertly covered with UltraCote, and features preinstalled stabilizer, fin, rudder and elevator control surfaces with control horns and pushrods pre-installed, a two piece wing with ailerons and control horns installed, a painted lightweight fiberglass cowl, molded cockpit with windscreens installed, and even a landing gear with wheels and painted fiberglass wheel pants installed. Just assemble the six parts, drop in an Outrunner brushless motor with controller, your favorite micro radio system and a 2-3 cell LiPo battery pack and head to the field.

Specifications:
Wingspan – 43-7/8” (1110mm)
Wing Area – 332 square inches (21.4 sq. dm)
Fuselage Length – 29” (736mm)
Flying Weight – 22.1 – 28.4 ounces (626-805 grams)
Requires: Outrunner Brushless Motor, Motor Controller, 2-3 Cell LiPo Battery Pack, 4 Channel Micro Radio System with 4 Micro Servos

Available at select hobby retailers or direct at www.atecmodels.com (http://www.atecmodels.com)

Twmaster
06-21-2006, 01:45 AM
I'd like to see better more detailed pictures.

Doppelganger
06-21-2006, 02:58 AM
Wow, your planes are extremely expensive. I agree that more pics of the planes would be nice. I'll do the dirty work myself to save money.

Steve

qban_flyer
06-21-2006, 03:16 AM
Wow, your planes are extremely expensive. I agree that more pics of the planes would be nice. I'll do the dirty work myself to save money.

SteveYou ain't kidding.

The Mercury caught my eye, that is until I saw the $120 admission price for a 33 3/4' model. Sorta make SIG ARFs look inexpensive by comparison. :rolleyes:

Doppelganger
06-21-2006, 04:25 AM
You ain't kidding.

The Mercury caught my eye, that is until I saw the $120 admission price for a 33 3/4' model. Sorta make SIG ARFs look inexpensive by comparison. :rolleyes:

Amen Brother!

Steve

qban_flyer
06-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Amen Brother!

SteveI paid $100 (delivered) for my gel-coated fuselage, built up balsa wing and tail feathers Little Luscombe (made in Bulgaria) three plus years ago. 36" wingspan and a beautiful flyer at that. :o

nexgenarf
06-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Hello everyone,

I certainly appreciate your comments, and really appreciate having the opportunity to try and answer your questions and concerns.

First of all, as for more images, here you go. If there are other images you'd like to see, let me know and I'll be happy to post them here for you.

As for pricing, I don't think it's fair to compare one manufacturer's product exactly to another's unless that other product is exactly the same as ours. Sort of like trying to compare the well known apples to oranges. The Spacewalker 2 ARF is truly unique with its NexGen ARF assembly concept. This model can easily be ready for the field in as little as one hour. Now I know that some modelers don't mind aligning stab assemblies or hinging control surfaces, and for these modelers this may not be the right airplane for them. However there is also a slice of the modeling public who either a) don't have the basic modeling skills or b) don't have the time to build a traditional ARF model. I've seen some ads from other ARF makers claiming assembly time in 3-4 hours. That's not too bad, but what is your time worth? If it takes 2-3 less to build a NexGen ARF as compared to a traditional ARF, is your time worth it? That's a question only you can answer.

One other issue we've faced with our products is freight. Due to the completeness of our assemblies, our boxes are generally larger than some other traditional ARF airplane kits. If you've ever ordered a large kit, you probably know all about oversize carton fees charged by the various freight carriers. Depending on the box size and distance shipped, this added freight charge can be as much as $15-20 per kit on our electric models, and much more on some of our glow powered models. We can't get around that, but if you buy one of our kits from a local hobby shop or even direct from us, you don't incur any of these higher freight costs. I guess we could advertise a low-ball price to hook you in, then sock it to you with a high shipping charge, but we don't work that way.

I really appreciate your thoughts and comments, and will try to surf on a Watt Flyer on a regular basis for your comments. If you want to send me a private note, please do.

Larry King
Atec Models LLC

simibill
06-21-2006, 03:55 PM
I have the Atec Spacewalker 2 and can vouch for the quality and completeness of the model which can easily be ready for flight in a couple of hours even for a dyslexic like me. As for the price, I think it's in line with the quality and ease of assembly.

Doppelganger
06-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Larry, you make a very good argument. I'm sure your planes will find their niche. I hate building, but, if it costs me 40.00 less for a quality ARF, I'll gladly buy it and build it. Your planes do appear to be of good quality. But I stick by my first thought. Those planes are expensive. My Hangar 9 Pulse XT cost me 159.00. The tail feathers bolt on, (no aligning required)and the wing is a two piece job with a carbon spar. Wingspan is 63". It is a very beautiful high quality ARF that I'm told flies extremely well. ( I havent Flown mine yet.) I understand we are talking apples and oranges. But look at what I get for 20 extra dollars. I have the electronics, motors, and batteries for both, but I get so much more with my Pulse. So when I say it is expensive, I mean it is too expensive for what I get out of it. Not saying they aren't quality. If you ever sell ARF's that require a little more building, I'll probably have one or two of your aircraft in my hangar. I appreciate your response and look forward to more dialogue in the future.

Steve

Twmaster
06-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Larry, thanks for the photos. Also thank you for taking the time to address the concerns expressed here. It's great to see vendors actually participate rather than just toss out marketing blurbs never to be seen again until the next new model comes along.

I'll be looking at these as I am one of those people who has little time for building. (I like working on my planes, just never have the time)

philster44
06-28-2006, 02:41 AM
I'm trying to buy my "2nd" plane.
Using RealFlight I love the way the giant electric spacewalker flies.

Can anyone comment on how the Spacewalker II flies?
And what motor, esc, battery are you using?

simibill
06-28-2006, 02:47 AM
I haven't had time to put my Atec Spacewalker 2 together yet. I agree the RealFlight Spacewalker flies nice though.

thebluemax
09-18-2006, 04:49 AM
I purchased one and it arrived last week. Very nice ARF. I put it together in two evenings. It would have been done in one but I had to modify it a little to get my Himaxx 2025-4200 brushless can motor and gear box onto the firewall. Not hard to do, just a little time consuming. If I had an out runner it would have been done in one.

I flew it today and she is a real winner. She will loop and roll and comes in nice and slow. She is actually one of the first electrics I have flown that seems to fly like a glow/gas airplane. I don't know what it is but the other electrics I have don't seem to feel the same way.

As for the value and price, last year I purchased an Alfa Models FW-190 from Hobby Lobby (see photo below). This is also a good flying plane. Really fast. The plane goes for $126 plus another $8 for shipping. The plane is all foam. The Atec is $139 shipped. So for about $5 more you get a covered in Ultra-cote all built Balsa/plywood plane vs all foam.

To me the Spacewalker 2 was a real good deal. I do not think you will be disappointed.

I added a crude picture to show what I did to modify the firewall. I cut out the area in red and I glued a 3/8 x 1/4 stick across the top. Then I was able to bolt the motor mount for my gear box. Really was easy to do and I can always take it out and add an outrunner if I want.