PDA

View Full Version : Herr Pitts Special?

Mistral
08-26-2005, 05:00 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the Herr Engineering "Pitts Special" to electric? I'm converting their AquaStar now, and I have to say, the quality of their kits is amazing.

phlatlander
10-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Have you finished your Aquastar yet?

Ribcracker
11-30-2006, 02:37 AM
Mistral,
Did you build the Herr Pitts Special? I've had my eye on it for a long time. The info on their site doesn't mention electric power systems but I don't see why it couldn't be done. Are there any issues I should be aware of before I order it? I'd sure like your feedback.
Thanks, Rib

flypaper 2
11-30-2006, 05:43 PM
I have a Herr Pitts sitting on my fridge with a an OS .12 glow engine in it. It would be a bit heavy for electric unless you did a lot of lightening. When I ordered the glow version, the hobby shop made a mistake and ordered the rubber powered version. Slightly smaller but built a lot lighter. Might be a better version for electric. This was a few yrs ago so check if they still show it.

buzzltyr
11-30-2006, 07:16 PM
If you are interested in a Pitts, designed for electric, you might look at this one:
http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=6

I built one when they first came out a couple of years ago. It's a very nice build. Flew wonderfully on a CDRom motor. Unfortunately, my flying skills were not up to its capabilities, and I killed it after about 5 or 6 flights.

Mark

Ribcracker
12-01-2006, 02:44 AM
Gord,
The Herr Pitts that I covet uses 4 servos, spans 30" w/ an area of 301sq."
Weight is 26 oz, loading is 12.5oz/sq'. Recommended engine is .074 to .15.
Is that the one you have? These parameters lead me to believe that it would perform well with a 480 size brushless outrunner.

Mark,
The Pitts you've suggested would be too small and light for what I have in mind. Thanks for your input, though. I enjoy the little planes but my first love is aggressive aerobats in the 20 to 30 ounce catagory.
I'm trying to narrow down my winter build choice but I'd like a little feedback on the Herr before I commit.
I'm sorry about your loss. Been there. Hate it!
Peace,
Bud

flypaper 2
12-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Bud:
That's the one I have. Without the motor and servos,etc. mine weighs 19 oz. I also put ails. on the top wing as the narrow ails. on the bottom wing didn't have enough roll rate for good aerobatics. It is fairly fast as the OS .12 is a hot little motor. It's one of the few planes I have that will do a good Lomcevac.:D (sp).

Ribcracker
12-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Gord,
This just dawned on me. The specs mention 4 servos but the plane was intended for glow use which would need a servo for the throttle. Is it then fair to assume that that ailerons are controlled by one servo? I would prefer individual servos for the ailerons. Also, you mentioned modding the upper wing for ailerons. Did you slave the top trailing edges to the bottom trailing edges with pushrods? If so, how did you connect them? Oh, and what is a Lomcevac? That's a new one for me.
Thanks for your patience and good nature.
Peace,
Bud

flypaper 2
12-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Bud:
There is one servo for the bottom ails. on the upper side, inside the fuse with short torque rods to the strip ails. The wings are held on with rubber bands so I didn't like the connecting pushrods. I mounted the upper wing servo on the underside of the wing with the same torque rod setup. At one point in the lomcevac the plane is actually going backwards:D There are different ways of getting into it. I have it moving fairly fast in level flight at full throttle. Pull up vertically with a slight right bank. All at the same time shove full left rudder, left ail and down elevator. It should do a rolling tumble to the left and depending on its inertia, it will flip with the tail facing the direction of travel. A very light plane cannot do it because of the low wing loading. I'll see if I can find a better explaination with a google search.:p

Ribcracker
12-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Gord,
Terrific idea! I'd rather run 4 ailerons w/ 2 servos than 2 with one. At least I won't be running 4 ailerons w/ one servo. Perish the thought! I'm concerned about slop as it is.
The lomcevac sounds like an impressive manuever but quite complicated. A bit out of my realm of expertise, I'm afraid. I'm still trying to get a good blender and I can't get a decent flat spin to save my life.
Thanks for your advice and encouragement. I'm going to go ahead and order the plane. Wish me luck!
Peace,
Bud

flypaper 2
12-03-2006, 03:10 AM
bud;
Takes an exceptional plane to do a decent flatspin. I have an old beater 40 size coroplast plane with a piece of aluminum channel for a fuse. Pull it up into a stall. shove the rudder over only and it wil do the flattest spin you've ever seen with a very slow decent. Takes an old beater like that to teach you stuff because your not afraid of breaking it.:D

Ribcracker
12-06-2006, 03:06 AM
Gord,
When you say it takes an exceptional plane to flat spin, are you talking about physical characteristics? What are the characteristics of your coroplast beater that make it flatten so well in the spin? Rudder only? Do you use any throttle to keep the nose up? No elevator?
The last time I saw a guy do a perfect slow descent flatspin, his plane looked like a standard pattern plane, e.g. Giles, Extra, Yak, Cap, etc.
Maybe the balance has to be further back.
I usually start with a stall, pull full left rudder, full left aileron and up elevator, feed in about one quarter throttle to get the nose up, and then neutralize the ailerons. When that doesn't work (and it doesn't), I slowly add in some right aileron to slow the spin.
I swear I've tried every combination with a half dozen supposedly appropriate planes. Nothing! I guess it's just not meant to be.
Thanks for letting me whine. I think I'll go eat worms.

flypaper 2
12-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Hi Bud
Planes are like people, to many different personalities.:p Good, bad and ugh. I have an electric Twist 3D 40 size that will do a decent flat spin but you need elev. to get into it. Pull into a stall with anything above half throttle and spin procedure. Left rudder, as much rudder throw as you can get,left ail.,up el. Move the ail over slowly, if you go to far it will snap out of it. Takes a couple of trys to find that magic spot just before it snaps out. Different for every plane. Then ease the elevator up to neutral. That's how it works on this plane. Raising and lowering the throttle increases and decreases the spin rate. This plane pulls out on its own when you neutralize rudder. some planes need opposite rudder and down elevator to get out of it. I've had a couple of Goldberg Chipmunks that would get into an inverted flatspin and not pull out no matter what you did. As you say a rearward CG also helps.I have a Super Zoom I'm playing with now and can't get it to flatspin YET. Need to find the right combination. Have fun