PDA

View Full Version : Electrified Ace Simple Series F4U Corsair

dimadee
06-26-2006, 10:56 AM
I maidened my Simple Series F4U Corsair today.

It is built up basically as per the instructions, except that I covered it in 1.4oz glass and water based polyurethane. The paint is acrylic artists paint, followed by a coat of clear enamel to seal it. Some of the balsa in the kit was more like pine :mad: , so I replaced a number of parts with lighter balsa, especially focusing on bits down the tail end to make sure it would balance! The final AUW is 660g (23.5oz) - this is a bit heavy, but I wanted something that was stable in a bit of breeze, so it is just right!

When I was applying the decals, it was all going so well :D until I realized that I had put the star decals on the fuselage upside down :mad: (apologies to the USAF).

It runs an Esskay 400XT, APC 8x8 prop, Electric Power 10A ESC and a Kontrol Freak 1700 20C 3S1P LiPo battery.

I used a bungee to launch it as the wing loading is around 17oz/ft2, and I didn't want to dork it on the first flight. It seemed a bit sensitive on the elevator on it's first flight, so I landed and added a bit of lead to the nose. The elevator linkage was just rubbing on the elevator servo, so we bent that away as well. The second flight was even smoother than the first. Flight speed is surprisingly quick for this little motor, and I found it was happy to shoot around on 3/4 throttle. Rolls are pretty axial, and turns are nice and smooth.

I think this plane is going to be heaps of fun! I can't wait to get some more air time with it so I can really see what it will do. As you can see in the pics, it is getting a bit steamy :eek: in the cockpit sitting in the sunshine, so I will put a small hole in the canopy to dehumidify things a bit.

Sky Sharkster
06-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi Tim, Welcome to Wattflyer! Great job on the Corsair, it looks like a fine finish and very realistic. Nice touch putting the aileron control horns on top, saves servo gears from stripping. Now all you need is a couple of Zeros to chase!
Good Flying,
Ron

Twmaster
06-26-2006, 05:55 PM
That is just spiffy. How well does the 400XT do? I mean does it seem 'just right' or is it too much or not enough power? I ask as I have a built Ace Simple Cap or Extra or something like that in need of some electric power and I have a few 400XT motors just sitting here.

The Corsair looks fine other than those odd fuselage markings! ;)

dimadee
06-26-2006, 11:42 PM
That is just spiffy. How well does the 400XT do? I mean does it seem 'just right' or is it too much or not enough power? I ask as I have a built Ace Simple Cap or Extra or something like that in need of some electric power and I have a few 400XT motors just sitting here.

Hi Twmaster,

The 400XT does a surprisingly good job - I would say it is just right. With the 3S pack and and 8x8 prop it is pulling about 13.5A static, however it will unload a little in flight. A friend has a Crazy 8 running a 400XT with a 9x6 on 3S 2200 pack (14.5A static), and it happily runs at full throttle for the entire flight duration. This motor never ceases to impress me.

I ran some numbers through MotoCalc and it suggested that the 8x8 prop would allow me to run at 75% throttle while still moving around at a good speed. Based on yesterdays flight, that is exactly the case. It covers ground very quickly, so you need to keep your eyes on it!

Just a comment on MotoCalc, I have found it very difficult to duplicate my measured numbers in MotoCalc. To get even close you need to fudge the prop constant quite a bit. I have used a couple of different sets of numbers from others, as well as tried to generate some myself with limited success.

Best regards