PDA

View Full Version : RANT trader/Seller/thread etiquette

darkside212
06-29-2006, 03:21 PM
What a joke! I'm seriously thinking about leaving wattflyer.....the reason why I've posted so much here is because I really thought it was a "free" place to discuss RC without hidden agendas.

In any thread where there was even a remote chance of someone realizing I'm a distributor I mentioned it....I didn't claim to have a "hook up" with some back alley HS, or where ever. I straight up typed "I'm a distributor so take this with a grain of salt" or something to that effect.

I think it is absolutely WRONG to allow someone start a "build thread" on a product that has been out for 5 years (but is in new packaging) with no intentions other than profit. If you read further down the thread you'll see that this person was a distributor all along even though it appeared at first to be an honest attempt to unveil a "new" product.

It is especially wrong to ostracize those who have read all of the posts and figured out for themselves (by reading) who the dishonest people are.

SHAME ON WATTFLYER, the moderators who let it happen, and persons involved: you know who you are.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7237

Bill G
06-29-2006, 04:18 PM
It is kinda cheesy. He's a regular at the RCG GWS Vendor Forum. I wouldn't take it that seriously, though. It would be like me posting, "Buy toilet paper online from Bill G". Now c'mon, who would bother, they can get s*** paper right down the street. Its pretty much as silly as that, to me.

darkside212
06-29-2006, 04:25 PM
Either way he/she should know better, and I hope that this would open the eyes of the uninformed.

The sad fact is people were probably already taken by the scam.

I see it too many times by "vendors" typically they are from another country trying to make a sale, but the veterans jump down their throats instantaneously (thankfully).

This is a case of someone exploiting a service, and it is wrong!

HermitRiver
06-29-2006, 05:44 PM
What a joke! I'm seriously thinking about leaving wattflyer.....the reason why I've posted so much here is because I really thought it was a "free" place to discuss RC without hidden agendas.

Dark. It's certainly not a "free" place to discuss RC or anything that has a view of your own not the same as a few. It's one where you better agree with the clique. One where there are rules but the rules only apply how and to whom the mods wish them to.
I put my website on my signature, same as you, same as some others. If someone would like to click and look, fine. I don't play the "sell" game in a thread as some have here. There is a for sale forum for that, but rules are only for some, not all. It's ok though, their clique, ahhh I mean family. Hermit

darkside212
06-29-2006, 05:53 PM
true dat'

its funny I had my sig non-hyperlinked and they told me to hyperlink it.....LOL

Either way...I'm not bashing anyone I just think there is a time, and a place for everything. I have jumped in on threads exclaiming that "I'm a distributor and I'll cut you nice deal ...pm me" or something to that effect.....but I never started a thread (without stating I'm a Dis.) to simply sell a product.

Don Sims
06-29-2006, 06:37 PM
If Roberts a vendor then he's violating site policy by not having his URL in his signature or user ID on the left. I'll PM him.

Thanks for bringing this forward, we don't know unless you folks let us know about it!

Don Sims
06-29-2006, 06:44 PM
BTW, I moved the thread to a more appropriate forum.

darkside212
06-29-2006, 07:35 PM
I give up

Rugar
06-29-2006, 10:01 PM
I just don't understand what this rant is about. :confused:
He has had his company URL in his sig for over a month now.
Build threads ARE permitted according to the WattFlyer policy.
POSTING ADVERTISEMENTS:
This is a forum of ideas and discussions. We do not wish to have the readers of the forums overwhelmed with advertisements but realize that posting announcements or interesting new product information is information our members want. To balance this need for information and the need to prevent spamming of ads in our forums, we will allow the following to be posted:

Any vendor/company may post one announcement with product information or news no more than once every week (7 day minimum between announcements)
Commercial announcements must be made in one forum only and the forum must be applicable to the topic of the commercial announcement thread
Members may reply to these threads and vendors may follow up with answers, support or additional information.
"Build Threads" are permitted
No "sale" ads or graphical ads allowed. This is for dissemination of product announcement, market research or pertinent news strictly.
No bumping is allowed. Companies should use common sense discretion when adding information so they don't aggravate their customers
Full disclosure of company affiliation is required for these posts.
Companies may answer within ongoing threads whether providing direct answers to questions about their products & support or adding pertinent product information such as specs, photos, videos, inventory status for example.

watt_the?!
06-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Dark. It's certainly not a "free" place to discuss RC or anything that has a view of your own not the same as a few. It's one where you better agree with the clique. One where there are rules but the rules only apply how and to whom the mods wish them to.
I put my website on my signature, same as you, same as some others. If someone would like to click and look, fine. I don't play the "sell" game in a thread as some have here. There is a for sale forum for that, but rules are only for some, not all. It's ok though, their clique, ahhh I mean family. Hermit

hmmmm...im not aware of a clique here at all. Do you have any examples? If this is the perception i am sure that we'd like to clear it up. For a matter of fact one of our mods moved on because the team questioned some responses he made early in the piece. It was fairly innocent, but we were worried about the perception. He chose to leave as a result (under no bad feelings or animosity).

so if it we question our ''own'' then pelase let us know your basis for the comments.

We'll do our best to nip this one in the bud.

Tim

darkside212
06-29-2006, 11:02 PM
"I just don't understand what this rant is about. :confused:
He has had his company URL in his sig for over a month now.
Build threads ARE permitted according to the WattFlyer policy."

If you don't understand the ethical issues now.....you never will......I'm done if you don't get it I guess it's too bad

Rugar
06-29-2006, 11:14 PM
What I do get and maybe you don't, is that we as Mods don't write the WattFlyer Policies. We just enforce them. What you, or I, or anyone else considers to be "Ethical" is not the point. The point is if he is within the WattFlyer written policy. Which he is. Something you might want to consider is in the PM that I sent to you earlier.

darkside212
06-29-2006, 11:29 PM
I am done

Don Sims
06-29-2006, 11:49 PM
Gerald, I don't see Bill's URL in the signature area or his left hand profile in his posts...:confused: :confused: I wear trifocals and can see a white blob on his avatar. Is that a URL or something?? If it is, it isn't easily readable.

darkside, the policy has been the same for months, build threads are permitted by anyone. Is it in the best interest of a vendor to do their own threads?? IMHO the members make that call and as long as the vendor is up front about what they are then they have to run the risk of ethical perception from the members who decide to spend their hard earned money at their business.

Twmaster
06-29-2006, 11:59 PM
It's not just you Don. I don't see a URL in Robert's .sig or left hand profile either. Not sure what the thing under the Zeke in his Avatar is.

firemanbill
06-30-2006, 12:03 AM
neither do I and I had no idea he was a vendor when he started posting!

Rugar
06-30-2006, 12:15 AM
For some reason (I have no idea why) his signature does not show up in the first few pages of the above mentioned thread. But if you go to the last few pages of that thread he has three links showing in his signature. The first one he has listed is his claimed web site. You can also go to his user profile and see that he has his signatures listed there.
Link to his profile: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=4523

After searching back through his previous threads, Its looks like his signature starting showing up on his posts on or around May 28th.

Edit: Make that May 31st

watt_the?!
06-30-2006, 01:17 AM
DarkSide....i think that WF has beena good thing for you. We do our best, lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. hang around. íts good that you are here.

Tim

Mike Parsons
06-30-2006, 01:50 AM
That is strange that it doesnt show up earlier in the thread. However at some point he did add it. Even if he did add it at a later date (usually after a mod requests it), it should update all previous posts.

Darkside,
if there is something that you would like me to address specifically, please PM me and we can discuss it. I fail to see anything that breaks WattFlyer policy. Even if you carried GWS zero's in your online store (for example) and wanted to start a build thread, you would be entitled. Even though the product has been out for years.

-Mike

darkside212
06-30-2006, 03:03 AM
watt_the?!,
I really appreciate that! I will stick around, I'm not going to let a little tiff ruin anything.....I just meant I was done with the rant :D

Mike P,

This really started as a simple rant in trader talk...... I totally agree that anyone can do a build thread......but when an ulterior motive is obvious (without being obvious) I have a problem with that. I think all cards should be on the table.....just what I think is right.

This obviously was more trouble than it was worth, and if I had only been flyin' instead of typin' I would have been better off.;) It usually isn't my style to do something like this, but when you see it so many times something has got to give.

To those who may have been offended I apologize, to those who have gotten something out of it...I'm glad

thanks
Paul

Twmaster
06-30-2006, 03:06 AM
No offense taken Paul. Sometimes venting is good. Thanks for being here. WF is better with members like you.

:D

Don Sims
06-30-2006, 03:11 AM
Thanks Paul. When Robert PM'd a reply to me all three of his links are in his signature. No clue why they don't show in the beginning of his build thread. Hopefully other Vendors out there will see this thread and make sure folks know up front who and what they are.

Something I personally can't stand is vendors using shill accounts to make posts asking a question then answering their own question. We have a product announcement for folks to do stuff like that without using a shill account.

darkside212
06-30-2006, 03:39 AM
Thanks guys....now lets move on...I was thinking about converting a freeflying drone to rc :).....watch out for the build thread......LOL!

Mike Parsons
06-30-2006, 03:55 AM
Fair enough! :).

Mike Parsons
06-30-2006, 04:10 AM
I am going to close this thread, but I agree with Don that it hopefully will serve as a reminder to all commercial members to make their affiliate identities known upfront.

-Mike