Approx. flying Weight - 3700-3900g
Engine - 120 4-Stroke

The setup installed is

AXI 4130/20
APC-E 15x10
2 x 4S2P 500mAh Shark Power 12C lipos (Enerland) in series as 8S
Jeti opto 77 - hard timing
AUW 4.2Kg or 9lb 2oz

Flew great, the sound in the air was something else up high it was almost silent but on a low pass the low hum of the AXI was something else.

Video here ......

http://www.jameshindle.net/anon_ftp/pub/Giles_24-6-6(Converted)

Please post comments if you view the video.

arrio
06-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Fine job on your conversion! Watched the video. (Its good practice to just turn off the auto focus when filming flight, if you have that ability on the camera.) Looks like it has an abundance of power.
How many watts did it put out? Would like to get an idea of your weight to watts ratio.

bert269
07-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Hi Jimmy

I have a question.. How long flying time do you get from your setup with only 500ma lipos? I received my G202 in last week and plan to put the AXi 4130/16 in there.

I have the trainer .60 from the same company converted to the 4130/16 motor and I run it with 8s 4000mah and I get about 15 minutes flying time.
Let me tell you, the 'nitro guys' looked strangely at me the first few times, but they soon started to talk to me after they saw the performance...

Also, what servo's did you put in your G202?

Thanks
Bert

Jimmy_h
07-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Fine job on your conversion! Watched the video. (Its good practice to just turn off the auto focus when filming flight, if you have that ability on the camera.) Looks like it has an abundance of power.
How many watts did it put out? Would like to get an idea of your weight to watts ratio.

Hi sorry for not getting back sooner, just run her up and she kicks out 1042W (37A)

Jimmy_h
07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Hi Jimmy

I have a question.. How long flying time do you get from your setup with only 500ma lipos? I received my G202 in last week and plan to put the AXi 4130/16 in there.

I have the trainer .60 from the same company converted to the 4130/16 motor and I run it with 8s 4000mah and I get about 15 minutes flying time.
Let me tell you, the 'nitro guys' looked strangely at me the first few times, but they soon started to talk to me after they saw the performance...

Also, what servo's did you put in your G202?

Thanks
Bert

Bert,

sorry about that it was a typo my lipo's are 5000mAh and I get a good 15 minutes flying out of them.

as for servos I used S3003 for all except the rudder where I used a JR 527 for a bit more torque.

Cheers

bert269
07-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Last question...
Did you actually glued your wings together? And if not, please explain to me how do you manage to keep them seperate (makes transport easier), but still manage to fit them tightly to the plane? And if you did keep them seperate, how did you manage to add/remove the piece of the body that is below the wing in place.

You know the setup of this plane and how it all fit together, please share your experiences of the project with me, if you don't mind.

As you can see, I want to keep my wings seperate and need some ideas how to do it with this plane. If the winghalves were not together, I could have bolted them onto the body, but since they are tightly together(according to the plan) - do you have any ideas of how I can fix them tightly without glueing them in place/together?

Thanks again
Bert

Jimmy_h
07-24-2006, 08:04 AM
Bert,

I did glue my wings together and without structural alterations to create a joinining box cannot think of a secure method of joining, I'm looking into another plane for conversion and the hangar 9 funtana is on the list, this kit leaves the wings separate for transport so may be a better option for you.

I'll have a think about it, I think the easiest way would be to replace the aluminium wing joiner which fits pretty loose with an thick carbon spar, this will require 2 half moon infill pieces and be very fiddly but will exusre the wings are jopined square ?

bert269
07-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks Jimmy for the feedback.

Well I currently have the setup like this, but I would like to know what you think about it.
On each wing, on the edge where it would join the other wing, I have tape a 2" wide piece of packaging tape all around the edge of the wing. I did this on both wings. Then I placed them tight together, with the aluminum rod slide inside both wings and tape the two pieces together with another round of packaging tape. Then I screwed the bolts into the wings, holded in place by the piece if hardwood that is supplied with the kit.

It looks pretty steady to me but I'm not sure if it will be able to take the strain and force during flight?

I have seen this been done with huge (I mean 12' +) gliders and they keep their wings together.

This way, I can remove the tape that hold the two wing pieces together and transport them seperately. Keeping the first piece of tape on each wing half for easier removal of the 'joining piece'.

Do you think it might work, or am I playing with a "flying rock" here...? ...LOL

I am thinking maybe of getting a stronger tape to, those that is woven with thread(or something) in them. I know that is pretty strong and will not easily snap....

Take care
Bert

Jimmy_h
07-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Bert,

Using Tape I'd go for Ductape (threaded stuff, the white looks quite good and very very strong !

My only worry would be the potential for twist, unless mine was defective as the wing tube was a very loose fit, maybe a couple of dowel locator holes would be good.

I'm trying another setup in the Giles at the moment

AXI 5320/28
CC 110 HV
10S 4350 flighpower lipos

Unfortunately I'm having problems with the ESC as at 70% throttle the motore drops power and there is a slight whine, apparently its quite common but nobody has told me how to sort it out yet !

Can I see some picture please

Cheers

Jim

bert269
07-24-2006, 05:17 PM
Jimmy

Thanks for the prompt feedback. That gives me some better assurance. Yes, I will certainly go with the white threaded tape (Duct tape). Luckily my aluminum pipe is very tight in the holes. It looks like it slides into another fiberglass pipe in each wing - so I think it's pretty strong and steady that way. I really think the two part wing is the option to go, It just makes the storage/transport so much easier.

I am currently in the office and do not have any pics with me. I'll take some tonight and send them

Take care and best of luck with your conversion - it sounds temping/interesting. I also have some 'glitch' with my RX setup in the G202. I notice interference a couple of times hwne I tested my setup out. It is a FMA FS5 RX. But I really don't trust it at all. I think I'm going futaba like the rest of my RX's. I'll send that FMA stuff back because I really are having glitches with it. When I tried it out Sat afternoon on my lawn, the motor was idleing and suddenly, with no apparent reason speeded up into full throttle and run away. THe servos also twitches and moved all the time, in all directions...Luckily it run straight into bushes with no damage! (another luck is that I did not had the wings mounted yet, else it certainly would have takes on!!!!...

Best of luck, will send the pics tonight!
Bert

Jimmy_h
07-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Bert,

I had a myriad of glitching problems, tried ferrite rings, foil over the RX everything until I changed frequency, we fly 35MhZ in the UK and I was on the upper range at 83, when I changed to 63 the glitches disappeared ?

Its a strange and annoything thing glitchinjg, grounded me for a month !

Jim

bert269
09-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Hey Jimmy

Sorry I have not send the pictures yet....Darn, Just not get time to get my cam out....I will see when I can get my camera working again...

Any luck with the conversion to the new AXI 5320/28 motor? Why did you do it, was the AXI 4130/20 a bit under-powered? Please let me know, since I have not yet send mine up...waiting for the weather to give me a break - but first need to get some advice from the expert...

Thanks
Bert

Jimmy_h
09-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi Bert,

I've not yet flown it with the 5320, the rason being that we have suffered some large model crashes at our flying field recently and the causes are yet unknown.

I found the giles wanting a bit more in large verticals etc so decided to put a bigger motor in it, plus I have a razzle which was idceal for the 4130

I'll let you know when I've flown it

Cheers

Jim

flypaper 2
09-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Don't know if it will help but I just put together, can't say I built it as it's an arf, a Hangar 9 Pulse XT. The wing is in two halves with an aluminum tube joiner. Each half has a dowel at the leading edge that plugs into the former at the front of the wing. Trailing edge has a nylon bolt that goes through a ply plate across the fuse. in the conventional manner. There is a dowel in the root rib of one panel that plugs into a hole in the opposite panel for alignment. Just robbing Peters idea to pay Paul.:D

Nigel Thomas
12-11-2006, 08:43 AM
[quote=Jimmy_h;90580]Bert,

I had a myriad of glitching problems, tried ferrite rings, foil over the RX everything until I changed frequency, we fly 35MhZ in the UK and I was on the upper range at 83, when I changed to 63 the glitches disappeared ?

Its a strange and annoything thing glitchinjg, grounded me for a month !

Jim,
hi, nice video. I had a CM pro 50 giles that I converted to E but my power system was too powerful ( and heavy). It flew like a pig untill I crashed with too much tip stall in wind.
I have now put the system into a 65inch wing Staudacher and it really flies well ( approx 1550watts) with 15x8 APC-E, Hyperion 4025/16 and 8 lipo cells.
My problem is glitching at full throttle which happened in both planes. I have tried just about everything except what you have suggested about the frequency. In Aus we fly 36Mhz and I am using 010. I I understand you correctly, I should just change the crystals to say 36.080 or so?
Let me know what you think.
greatly appreciated.
NT