PDA

View Full Version : Multiplex Easy Glider

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
08-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Are there serious Multiplex Easy Glider owners out there?

I'm interested in discussing these topics:

I just put in a Astro 20 brushless motor/gear system and a 3 cell lipo battery. I'm now using a high quality 11 by 8 folding prop. Has anyone done this?
Will the wings handle it okay? (I have this terrible feeling that they will crack or pull apart in a heavy pull) Should I reinforce them somehow?
I also did not use the built-in antennae because of the battery and wing servo leads on top of each other. (I just went out the side with the antennae lead) Will that cause me problems?
Any other suggestions to professionalize the Easy Glider?Thanks!

Singlin
10-19-2005, 09:28 AM
I flew my Easy Glider electric this week-end for the first time and noticed the climb slow with the standard motor.
Let me know how yours flys with the Brushless motor.
I am thinking of painting mine(don't like the tacky stickers that came with the glider-makes it look too much like a toy)

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
10-19-2005, 08:33 PM
It's a different plane. Flies great with more power and speed. Fun to buz around, fly upside down, etc. I can also fly in any wind.

However, it is heavier with the Astro 20 brushless motor. I cut off the nose a little bit to help balance it, but I still needed some weight on the tail, which adds to the overall weight. I also dug away some foam around the motor as well as around the battery pack to allow some air flow as things are tight in there. Finally, I ran the antennae out the side of the fuselage instead of through the tubing as I cut away part of the tubing for air flow.

As I said it is a different plane, now. The gliding is also different with the additional weight, so it depends on how you want to fly it.

With the looks... I also didn't like the decals, so I renamed it to Electric Glider instead of the Electric Easy Glider, by cutting off some of the decals, and didn't use all of the curved lines. I also used a permanent black magic marker on both sides of the ailerons, the rudder and elevator, as well as the fuselage top. (My friend said that you can also use a bottle of black shoe polish. and it works great). In addition, I pasted a bright red line over the front of each of the leading edges of the wing. Now it looks great! Like a professional glider. And, it is fun to fly!! Don't think I would paint it.

Good luck!

Heidelberg Germany Flyer

Singlin
10-20-2005, 12:07 AM
Just painted mine this evening.
I will take the tape off tommorrow and see what it looks like:confused:
How do you set the Aileron differential to 20mm up and 12mm down, my Laser 6 does not let me do that?
Happy Flying:)

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
10-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Just painted mine this evening.
I will take the tape off tommorrow and see what it looks like:confused:
How do you set the Aileron differential to 20mm up and 12mm down, my Laser 6 does not let me do that?
Happy Flying:)

I set my aileron differential and spoilerons through the transmitter. However, look through the posted Easy Glider threads and someone tells how he set his aileron differentials mechanically. I think he attached the ailerons to off-centered servos. The spoilerons work great on the Easy Glider! Be sure to set them to at lease 30 mm up and to add automatic down trim to the elevator.

By the way be sure to secure your fuselage top. Mine came off several times. I stuck a rod over the top back side of the top through a small piece of tubbing in the fuselage. Shape it like a number 9 so you can slide it out and in without any trouble.

One more thing don't catch your hat on the aileron wire when you start off. I did it twice! Once the hat caught on to the aileron and stayed there. Didn't last long though, as it dived and crashed. So, hold it up high on the start.

Attach a picture of your painted glider...

falingtrea
10-20-2005, 07:49 AM
Multiplex is supposed to be releasing a drop in brushless motor for the Easy Glider in November.

I also got some info from Multiplex on the motor included with the model. It is the Permax 400 6V and the prop is a 6x6 folding, in case you want to run numbers in a motor calc program.

I am about 1/3 complete on my Easy Glider and am planning to run it on a 3s lipo pack.

Singlin
10-20-2005, 08:54 PM
I painted my Easy Glider last night only to find the paint peeling off when dry this morning. I was lucky that the paint just peeled off so it was not too much work stripping it off. I then decided to colour it in with red indelible marker pen and the result is ok.
See attached fotos.
Happy flying:)

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
10-21-2005, 08:37 PM
Multiplex is supposed to be releasing a drop in brushless motor for the Easy Glider in November.

I also got some info from Multiplex on the motor included with the model. It is the Permax 400 6V and the prop is a 6x6 folding, in case you want to run numbers in a motor calc program.

I am about 1/3 complete on my Easy Glider and am planning to run it on a 3s lipo pack.

For adequate air flow, you'll need to make more room for a 3c lipo. Suggest you run your antaenna out the side of the fuselage so you can cut away part of the tubing for more battery/air flow space. (I also didn't like the battery and servos being so close to the antaenna.)

You'll like flying the Easy Glider. It's fun to fly.

By the way if the brush motor is for 6v, will it handle an 11.1/12.6v 3c Lipo?

Heidelberg Germany Flyer

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
10-21-2005, 08:39 PM
I painted my Easy Glider last night only to find the paint peeling off when dry this morning. I was lucky that the paint just peeled off so it was not too much work stripping it off. I then decided to colour it in with red indelible marker pen and the result is ok.
See attached fotos.

Thanks for the pictures, Singlin... It looks nice. Are you going to put some of the decals on it?

Heidelberg Germany Flyer

falingtrea
10-22-2005, 07:06 AM
By the way if the brush motor is for 6v, will it handle an 11.1/12.6v 3c Lipo?

Heidelberg Germany Flyer

It will probably burn out faster, but only if I run full throttle a lot. Eventually will go either brushless or maybe a 480 brushed.

qban_flyer
10-22-2005, 07:57 AM
See attached fotos.

Very nice color scheme and paint job. I love that red canopy idea and the way you patterned the bottom of the sailplane.

falingtrea
10-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Got some more info on the drop-in brushless package Multiplex will be offering next month. It will be one of the new 400 series that they just announced. The BL-400 4 turn with 4.4:1 gearbox to be specific. I believe that their brushless ESC are repackaged Castle Creations units.

Singlin
11-01-2005, 07:44 PM
I have replaced my 8 cell nimh Battery pack with a 3 cell 1700mah li-po pack with great success.
I have also i think balanced the glider again but i am experiencing pitch oscillations, the glider pitches up and then down and then up and down etc.
Can anyone help?
Happy flying.:)

qban_flyer
11-01-2005, 07:54 PM
I have replaced my 8 cell nimh Battery pack with a 3 cell 1700mah li-po pack with great success.
I have also i think balanced the glider again but i am experiencing pitch oscillations, the glider pitches up and then down and then up and down etc.
Can anyone help?

You'd better check and make sure the plane is balancing at the factory recommended CG exactly. Replacing an 8 cell pack with Li-Pos usually makes the airplane tail heavy and rather "pitchy".

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
11-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Can anyone help?

How did you fit the 3c battery in? It's very tight in there. Did you run it over the antennae inserted in the tubbing? If so, you can be getting glitches from the battery current. I suggest running the antennae out the side of the fuselage back to the rear of the plane, keeping it away from the battery cables. With that arrangement you can dig out some foam by breaking off some of the empty tubbing to move the battery pack back a little to help balance the plane. Now, you can also dig out some space around the battery for better air flow to keep the battery from getting too hot.

I would also check if the motor is mounted tightly. Does it only oscillate when the motor is running at full throttle? Did you glue it in or pry it in? With the additional power you may need to secure the motor with silacone.

HGF

RiverPlane
11-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi
I like to know if you did break-in your EZG stock motors. I did my maiden flight and didn't break the motor, so I wander if is worthwhile, or if I'm still can do this.

sikorsky
11-09-2005, 12:11 AM
@Heidelberg Germany Flyer

you can widen the space of the Elapor-foam with a soldering iron. This area will get then "glassy" and hard. So you have to sand it a little bit, to get a smooth area.

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
11-09-2005, 06:59 PM
@Heidelberg Germany Flyer

you can widen the space of the Elapor-foam with a soldering iron. This area will get then "glassy" and hard. So you have to sand it a little bit, to get a smooth area.

Good idea! I like the concept of making it glassy.

Thanks

I used a hack saw blade to cut out space as needed... wrapped some tape around it to make a handle. Works great!

HGF

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
11-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Hi
I like to know if you did break-in your EZG stock motors. I did my maiden flight and didn't break the motor, so I wander if is worthwhile, or if I'm still can do this.

I'd suggest that you buy 1 or 2 stock motors (as they are dirt cheap).

An unscientific approach...Keep on flying what you have and try to keep track of how much life this motor gives you. Do a rough recording of the number of cruise hours, total hours or even the number of flights with the current motor. When you're ready to replace the motor use a new motor that is broken in and compare the two to decide if it is worth it.

There are a number of threads on the advantages of breaking in brush type motors in the power section, as you are supposed to get more power and speed, and it's supposed to last longer.

I finally decided to go brushless with a 3cell Lipo and a better folding prop! It's a heavier glider, but the power and speed is nice. It's also nice to be able to fly on windy days.

Be sure to connect a small capacitor to each of your motor wires with each new motor. I would also consider using a better folding prop as the stock one is not very good.

Good luck!

HGF

sigepkev
01-25-2006, 05:00 AM
Hi,

Rather than start a new thread on the same topic, Ill just add this in.

I am flying the eassy glider electric and want to get some more power for better climb rate. I am currently looking at brushless motors but do not know much about them. Can anyone give me some guidance on brushless motors for this plane?

My set up is currently stock with a 8 cell 2/3a nimh 1100mah bat.
would a 400xt motor be too small? Is the 450xt available anymore?