PDA

View Full Version : Flash 60e hotliner

Jason T
07-22-2005, 12:59 AM
This is my Flash 60e hotliner from NSP. (http://nesail.com/detail.php?productID=1300) I am using an Aveox 27/26/1.5 with 4.4:1 Maxon gearbox, 14.5x14 RFM prop, 10 cell pack of GP2000's and a cc80 esc. Puts out about 600 watts at about 65 amps when the battery is hot off the charger. This thing is a blast to climb to about 1000' feet and dive straight down. :) I painted the wingtips and v-tail myself because it was all white on top and hard to see.

Jason

Jason T
07-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Here is a hotliner video (http://http://atltaylor.com/files/Downeym-Xray-flight1.wmv) (~5.5MB) of the X-ray from http://www.soaringusa.com. (http://www.soaringusa.com)

redgiki
09-21-2005, 03:28 AM
And here's the real fixed link for the above:

http://atltaylor.com/files/Downeym-Xray-flight1.wmv

Jason T
09-21-2005, 03:45 AM
Oops :o:)

redgiki
09-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey, it's all cool, I was just excited to watch the video of the hotliner in action. It handles remarkably well. I was a bit under-impressed with the vertical performance, though, compared to a hotliner I saw performing out in the salt flats near my house. I found myself trying to figure out if I could shove a bigger motor and more batteries into the thing immediately :)

But the price of the kit puts it beyond my means at the moment. Maybe next year...

Jason T
09-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Did you see the video I posted in the F5B practice video thread?
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1257

It is not a hotliner but it is high performance sailplane. :)

redgiki
09-21-2005, 05:42 PM
That's more like what I'm talking about :) The laps video was excellent: gain 200 feet, bring it around unpowered, do it again. Very cool.

A sailplane is on the list for completion this building season. Not sure which one yet. I love electric power with LiPos enough, though, that it will have to be a folding-prop version. I love the thought of hunting for thermals, but I love the thought of being able to recover from losing them without having to do a hi-start again more...

Jason T
09-22-2005, 03:00 AM
Here is a link to my Flash 60e hotliner video. Not as impressive as the Surprise 10 in the last video. http://www.atltaylor.com/files/Flash60E.wmv

Tahoebum
10-14-2006, 02:13 AM
After watching the video of your Flash 60e, I decided to buy one. Any build tips/recommendations? Can't wait to get this baby up in the air. Any suggestions fully appreciated.

Jason T
10-15-2006, 01:08 AM
I painted the tops of my wingtips to help with orientation and that made a big difference. For the V-tail I used a single HS85MG servo for elevator only instead of a full fuctioning V-tail. Below is a pic of how I connected the two V-tail surfaces together. This was not a pic of my V-tail but is how I did mine. I also included a link to a PDF (http://atltaylor.com/files/Flash-60E-Instruction-Manual.pdf) file of the instructions for the Flash as mine did not come with any. However, a friend of mine had them and sent them to me.

Tahoebum
10-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the instructions! Any way possible to send pictures of the inside showing elevator servo mounting and battery? Are you using Lipos or 10 cell (will it fit???)?

Jason T
10-16-2006, 05:26 PM
I will see if I have any pics of the servo install. I sold the airframe recently as I had "borrowed" the power system out of it for my thermal glider.

I was using a 10 cell pack of GP2000 cells in the 2 sticks of 5 configuration, if that makes sense.

Tahoebum
10-17-2006, 04:13 AM
Jason T, thanks in advance.

I'd like to see how it all fits.

Tahoebum aka Juan

Jason T
10-17-2006, 04:28 AM
Here are a few photos. Unfortunately, nothing to detailed. One shows the servo layout in the wing. The second shows the servo leads when they were routed out of the wing. I then used the 4 connector mini Deans connectors for a quick release connectors when removing the wing. The last photo shows the CROW setup I started with on it. I have a few pics of the elevator linkage that I will post tomorrow. There is no great detail in them either but I try to write up in detail what I did.

Tahoebum
10-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Any photos will help. Nice colors. I see you have flaps. I didn't plan on having them, just spoilerons. I guess having both will definitely help landing in smaller fields. I have HS-81s laying around. Good enough for the wing control surfaces? How about the elevator servo(s)? I know it has to be small, tight fit in the fuselage. Not much "extra" room.

Jason T
10-17-2006, 08:41 PM
When I bought mine it was the last one NEsail.com had and it came with flaps. But it will land just as well with spoilers. Using HS81's will be fine on the ailerons. The main reason I used HS125MG's was because the flaps would drag in the grass if I was not quick enough to retract them after landing so the servo gears had to take that abuse. The HS125' are also thinner but I think the 81's will fit in the aileron bays. I used an HS85MG on the elevator since it was controlling both V-tail surfaces. However, you could probably use a smaller servo for this. The HS65 would probably work and would be easier to fit inside the fuse.

Tahoebum
11-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Is it safe to run the antennae inside the fuse of the Flash 60e and out the tail?

Jason T
11-03-2006, 03:42 AM
Is it safe to run the antennae inside the fuse of the Flash 60e and out the tail?

It should be safe since the fuse is fiberglass. I think I ran mine outside but I wasn't worried about interference. If it was a carbon fuse I would run it outside.

Sorry I have not gotten back with the v-tail connection explaination, I have been swamped. Basically, I took a carbon tube (3/32" ID) and for the servo side I took a piece of 3/32" push rod and put a Z-bend on one end for the servo are and put a 90 degree bend in the other end. Then I cut the 90 degree bend really short so that I slip it inside the carbon tube. On the servo end of the carbon tube I taped it up and drilled a small hole only through one side. Then I covered the push rod that I bent with 5 minute epoxy and stuck it inside the carbon tube so that the short 90 degree bend came out of the hole. Then I took a smaller piece of push rod wire and jammed it inside the carbon tube next to the larger wire to force the short 90 deg bend into the hole. This is hard to describe without pics. :)

On the v-tail end, I did the same thing but with two pieces of push rod wire (one for each v-tail). On the v-tail side of the carbon tube I taped the tube up and drilled a small hole through both sides of the carbon tube. Then I inserted the two v-tail push rods with expoxy on them. Next, I took another piece of wire can jammed it between the two v-tail push rods so that the short 90 deg bends or forced into the holes drilled in the carbon tube. On both ends of the carbon tube (servo side and v-tail side) I covered from the hole in the carbon tube to the end with epoxy and then wrapped both ends with kevlar thread to prevent the rod from splitting.

On the v-tail push rods I soldered on two wire to thread brass fittings so that the v-tail ball sockets could be thread on.

Inside the tailboom of the fuse I small piece of balsa with two thin pieces of balsa ply glued on. This is block was mounted close to the v-tail section of the carbon tube in the fuse to prevent the whole push rod system from flopping around when the servo was moving the v-tail surfaces. I have tried to make some sketches of these items below.

Tahoebum
11-17-2006, 06:40 AM
Ok, I was able to visualize what you did. Sounds good and very strong way to put it all together. I will do just that. I hope to have it flying within a week. I've been distracted with other things but now the weather is getting really nice here. Time to zoom and dive. :)

Thanks for the help and info.

Tahoebum
01-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Finally got my Flash up in the air and it goes like stink. Powered by a Neu motor and 3s lipo it becomes a dot in seconds. I just love the whistling sound it makes on a low pass. I just need to lower the throws and increase expo. I wrung it out and it handled the somewhat violent rolls, inside and outside loops fairly well. My friend thought he saw the wings flex pretty good, but they didn't depart the airframe :o) Jason T, thanks for the advice and info.

Jason T
01-13-2007, 12:53 PM
No problem. I am glad you are enjoying it. It is a very fun airframe and very strong.

BTW, what Neu motor, battery and prop are you using?

Tahoebum
01-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Neu 1105/2.5/4.4, TP 3S 2100, Aeronaut 13x10, CC 45.

Any recommendation/suggestions for making it go high faster and whistle louder? ;o)

Jason T
01-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Only recommendation would be more power. :)

Sounds like the power system you are using will work pretty well.

Tahoebum
01-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Mmm, more power... :D

I will be looking around for a big brother to the Flash. How about a carbon ship or kevlar enforced one.

Tahoebum
01-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Oh oh...Flash got a boo boo :eek:

Too windy to go flying...takeoff was sporty so I knew landing was going to be a handfull. On landing the wind took the plane, inverted it and slammed it to the ground at ten feet of altitude. Kinda like a short order cook flipping pancakes at Denny's. Yikes. No recovering from that manuever, no response time at all. Fuse cracked in many places, wing cracked in two places near the root. All insides are good (whew!) and v-tail intact. Can be fixed but will require lots of work.

Not too pretty to look at anymore.

Jason T
01-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Sorry about the incident. I had many cracks on my first Flash fuse but repaired with glass cloth and epoxy and still flew great.

Tahoebum
01-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Jason, what do you think about the wings? The skin cracked on both sides near the root, top and bottom. No spar damage, just the skin. Looks like torn paper. You think it can still pull G's after "patch" work? A little worried now about the wing folding. :( I didn't worry about it before. How do you post pictures so I can show you?

Jason T
01-24-2007, 04:14 AM
I had a crack in the top skin of my Flash wing near the leading edge. I just wicked some thin CA in the crack and the skin seemed pretty strong. Later I took some 30 epoxy and microballoons and covered the crack and sanded smooth again. The spar is really strong so I doubt that you damaged it but its hard to tell since you can see it.

To post photos click on the "Go Advanced" tab under the text box. Then below the text box there will be a section called "Additional Options". In that section there is a button called "Manage Attachments". Click on it and you will be able to browse to a photo you want to upload. Once you browse to the file you can then click the "Upload" button in that same dialog box. After the file is uploaded you can close that dialog box. Finally, right under the text box click the "Submit Reply" button. Let me know if you still need help with this.

Tahoebum
01-24-2007, 07:58 AM
I did just that. Mixed in some very light fiberglass cloth, microballoons, and epoxy. Dried almost smooth. Just need to sand down small pimples :). I think she'll fly again. Whew!

Do you remember what expo setting you flew your Flash with? EPA, D/R? I just can't seem to dial this in. Maybe the crash was due to the strong winds and me over controlling. I still say it was the windy conditions, not my ham-hands :D

Thanks for the ongoing help.

Tahoebum
01-24-2007, 08:01 AM
I also took the Neu motor out and put in a multiplex motor I had laying around. I want to have a more "tame" powerplant, less wattage to see how the wings perform.

Jason T
01-24-2007, 11:13 AM
I do not remember my expo, D/R or EPA settings exactly. This all depends on how much control each surface has. I know I used 50% aileron differential and then I had the flaps set to travel 50% of the ailerons. On the V-tail I had to dial the elevator down a lot because it was very sensitive. For my setup I think I had the elevator at about 70 or 80% travel and then probably 70% expo it. For the ailerons I probably had about 40% to 50% expo.

I wish I would have written my settings down. I probably need to do that for my other models. :)

Tahoebum
01-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Flash up and flying again. I definitely need to adjust the control settings a lot more. Aileron differential should help the violent mini barrel rolls, and smaller deflections. Wings and fuselage held up great. Then again I wasn't really pushing it. Not pretty to look at when I'm holding it but can't tell when it's whistling by at 100 mph.

What are you flying nowadays since you sold your Flash?

Jason T
01-24-2007, 05:14 PM
I am flying a Zoom Race (http://www.soaringusa.com/products/product.htm?product_id=16256&category_id=262) sold by SoaringUSA.com. You can see it here (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80) in the first post of this thread. I fly this one F5B style. I also am waiting to build an F5D pylon model as well.

Tahoebum
01-26-2007, 07:28 AM
Nice. What are you thinking of getting for F5D flying? The Zoom is definitely a step up from the Flash. Looks like you got it set up nicely. :)

I'm still kicking around with a Twin Jet modified with a single brushless motor. It's pretty fun to buzz around with.

Jason T
01-26-2007, 11:26 AM
For F5D I am thinking about the Demon. (http://www.soaringusa.com/products/product.htm?product_id=16675&category_id=265)

Tahoebum
01-28-2007, 01:06 AM
That's stepping it up from the Flash :D

Tried to send photos of repair, but I don't know what happened. Anyway, it flies probably better than new since I "fixed" the little things that needed tweaking. I will work on the looks of it now that it flies again.

I'm trying to start a flying club here but the economics is a big hinderance.

markusvt
10-09-2009, 03:50 AM
Anyone have the manual anymore for this?

I painted the tops of my wingtips to help with orientation and that made a big difference. For the V-tail I used a single HS85MG servo for elevator only instead of a full fuctioning V-tail. Below is a pic of how I connected the two V-tail surfaces together. This was not a pic of my V-tail but is how I did mine. I also included a link to a PDF (http://atltaylor.com/files/Flash-60E-Instruction-Manual.pdf) file of the instructions for the Flash as mine did not come with any. However, a friend of mine had them and sent them to me.