PDA

View Full Version : Great Starter Airplanes

Snowplane
08-27-2005, 05:40 AM
If you're looking for a plane that is immensly durable that you can teach yourself with, I HIGHLY recommend the EasyStar RTF. I've nosed mine into the ground countless times with only slight damage that a few drops of CA took care of and back up it goes!

I just upgraded to the Begin-Air RTF because it has 4 channels (ailerons). I've never seen a plane out of the box take off as straight and gentle as this one. I hand-launch because I have a grassy field I fly in but, it is very capable of solid surface take-0ffs. I've had perfect landings with this plane as well...shut off the motor and it glides itself slowly to the ground.

I did upgrade the battery packs to Poly-Li because 15 minutes of flight just isn't enough for me.

The reason why I put this post here is because everyone claims to have a plane you "can practically fly yourself without experience". I found that to be false in most cases.

Both of these planes are great starters, though the Begin-Air claims it's for intermediate pilots, I find it to be just as good and just as forgiving as the EasyStar.

The major difference between the two is that the EasyStar can't do rolls however, it does some major loops. The Begin-Air does both loops and rolls. I can actually fly the EasyStar inverted much better than the Begin-Air.

I just thought I'd share my 2 cents worth for anyone who wishes to join in the fun but is confused as to which type of plane to get.

Both kits are approximately $179.00 in the RTF version.

I don't want to qualify these two planes as the "absolute best" there is, I only want to let you know what I had legitmate success with, with no prior experience.

AEAJR
08-27-2005, 06:15 AM
Great post.

I would say your experience with the Easy Star put you up to a level where the begin-aire works well for you. You are no longer a beginner if you are flying the easy Star inverted.

DesertGringo
08-27-2005, 06:57 PM
I got my Boy a J3 cub from parkzone..150 bucks complete down to the rubberbands n Batteries ....... we flew it on the way home..:D

AEAJR
10-07-2005, 02:36 AM
If you want to soup up your Easy Star, here are some ideas:

Mods, upgrades and more
http://www.mpx-easystar.de/ (http://www.mpx-easystar.de/)
Adding ailerons
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350408&goto=newpost (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350408&goto=newpost)

Duster52
10-07-2005, 08:06 AM
The reason why I put this post here is because everyone claims to have a plane you "can practically fly yourself without experience". I found that to be false in most cases.

I don't understand your point here. How did you find their advise to be false on most cases? Your plane is certainly not the easiest to start with as a beginner. It just happened to be the one you were able to start flying with. I have found there are many fliers out there who claim the one they started with is the "best" and is the one they recommend. They will even spend time arguing down others recommendations.

In reality, there are several good "starter" electrics available to choose from. It is usually a matter of personal choice as to which is the "best". There are several factors that will make one better for one person and a different better for someone else. Your experience with yours is great information for beginners to read and consider. Just keep in mind there are people who can pick up an RC plane and fly it the first time and every time and others who take quite some time to get the hang of it.

I started with the AeroBird Challenger and had NO problems with it for three days! I had never flown an RC plane before! I was 52 at the time and hold a commercial pilots ticket. I started having trouble with it after three days and almost drove me nuts before I figured out the tx was defective! I crashed it several times after the third day and that thing held up great! It took a lot of abuse! It just would dive into the ground while I was flying straight and level, for no apparent reason. The first three days I discharged the battery three and four times each day without crashing and I was doing loops the first day.

Since then, I have always recommended getting your own radio system and starting with a slow ARF, if you don't have an instructor to help you. It is so easy to get discouraged with cheap electronics, that are sometimes defective, that come with some of these RTF's and can make you think it is your flying that is the problem.

My favorite, still, is the GWS Slow Stick that I keep with my other planes. I fly it more than the others because I can fly it here next to my house and I can't with the others. The Slow Stick is extremely easy to fly for many people, and is cheap to replace if you do too much damage.:D