PDA

View Full Version : Aerovan crash

aggey00
08-27-2005, 05:14 AM
My Aerovan is a twin speed/400 model aircraft and was flying it for its second flight when after about 3 minutes in the air the motors suddenly stopped it dipped its nose vertidally down and with no control function crashed into the tarmac, on inspecting the wreckage I discovered that the battery connector had become so hot that the ground wires from both sides of the terminal had become unsoldered. The connectors are rated at 40amps. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this, the first flight was perfectly uneventful. This is my first foray into electric models.

EpoweredRc
08-27-2005, 06:00 AM
My Aerovan is a twin speed/400 model aircraft and was flying it for its second flight when after about 3 minutes in the air the motors suddenly stopped it dipped its nose vertidally down and with no control function crashed into the tarmac, on inspecting the wreckage I discovered that the battery connector had become so hot that the ground wires from both sides of the terminal had become unsoldered. The connectors are rated at 40amps. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this, the first flight was perfectly uneventful. This is my first foray into electric models.

how many amps do you think your pulling?What size battery and motor and stuff? what kind of conectors? That would do the trick for a crash to have your wires come undone.Some conectors maybe say there good for up to 40 but arent maybe thats this case? or did you not do a good solder job? some people think they can solder but really have no clue to what there doing. Not saying this is what happend just saying things that could. Sorry for your loss.

Smeghead
08-27-2005, 06:42 AM
Its most likley you had a bad joint in the connector and the heat generated by this bad connection made the solder melt and disconnect. Was it a deans or a mini tamia?

aggey00
08-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Thanks for your thoughts on my disaster. lol The model is a design published in the Radio Control Models and Electronics designed by Tony Nijhuis in England, it is powered by 2 speed 400's which draw 12 amps through a common 30 amp esc, the battery is a 1900 mah 11.1v Lipo. On retrieving the battery from the remains it was warm but not hot, however the Deans ultraplug which is rated at 40 amps was almost too hot to hold. I can only think that as the first flight was near perfect with no heat anywhere that I must have had a faulty soldered joint which sucks as I have been soldering for over 40 years not only as a hobbyist but proffesionally. oops black mark bently. lol I'll have to learn to add pics to my forum too

pgrts
06-26-2008, 08:59 PM
Hello Aggey - long time ....
It seems that my AeroVan finally will be ready för test flight.
I finished some blue solatrims and checked the RC-functions.
http://www.mfksnobben.se/galleri/Hugo/080626-01.JPG
I am still looking for a pilot - it will be a Snoopy figure but i have not yet found anything to fit the cockpit.
My first choice was 3-blade counter rotating props - but it seemed a little overkill. When i found the place to order it was a decision. Now i found it neccesary to build some gear to protect the prop when landing the plane and there was more to modify on the plane.
You will find som more pictures on the bulid link (http://www.mfksnobben.se/galleri/Hugo/aerovanII.htm).
I will hopefully be able to get something on film later on.
/Patrik@mfksnobben.se

aggey00
06-26-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi.
You did a good job there. it looks terrific and will fly just great if anything like mine was, I had my ESC go bad and caused it to crash and it was totaly destroyed. good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy this model. I'm currently building another of Tony Nejhuis designs, the 11ft lancaster.
Alan

pgrts
07-02-2008, 08:18 AM
11 ft ! - I had to cut off a few inches from the Aerovan wingspan to get the wing to fit in my car.
The ship has made her maiden flight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UykX0j0PXsU
Starts at half throttel but no extreme speed. I think i need a little smaller propeller with more pitch to get a little speed from her. I have tried a 9*6 on the workshop but got the 9*4 3-blade right now. It seems a little to big as the rev stops to increase at about 75% throttle. The engine sound is next to nothing - the passengers seems pleased ;-).
The scale looks had been a lot better with a smaller prop ( and 4-cell battery) and shorter gear.
/Patrik

FlyingMonkey
07-02-2008, 12:20 PM
holy old thread batman!

aggy, you even still reading this one?

will I be seeing you at the meeting thursday?