PDA

View Full Version : My first in flight video

firemanbill
07-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Well I finally got me one of those Oregon Scientific ATC-1000 cameras. It is really cool.

I picked it up at best buy and promptly took it back since it did not work.:( After the geek squad guy looked at it and said "yup it's broke" I got another one and it works fine:D

I have been playing around with it for a bit now and flying it on the slow stick. It carries it quite nicely with the 400xt and a 7.4v commonsenserc lipo.

Here is the video, no sound dubs but I did cut the first part that showed my sweaty mug making sure everything was lined up right!:o

http://media.putfile.com/Aerial-Vid-from-my-Slowstick

aviatordave
07-04-2006, 05:27 AM
Looks good,

now you got your feet wet with aerial video, you can show us more of VA.

Did you see that guy in the orange shirt? He had one sweaty mug!

Dave

Nitro Blast
07-04-2006, 06:06 AM
Those cameras dont dissapoint for the cost do they?!

firemanbill
07-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Yeah Dave that was one sweaty dude!:D lol. It was 92 degrees with typical VA humidity, heat index was like 105 or something. I just had to try it though:rolleyes:

Vid would have been longer if i would have remembered to put in the sd card:( I will for the next one.

And yes nitro for the money it is a really cool camera! I don't care much for the editing software that came with it but it works...

What do you use to edit yours?

aviatordave
07-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I just use Windows Movie Maker. If you have Windows XP then it is on your computer already, if not its a free download.

Foamaholic
07-05-2006, 02:08 AM
I have one of those cameras too and they certainly do a nice job.

ForestCam
07-05-2006, 04:19 AM
Your SS sounds just like mine! LOL

firemanbill
07-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Your SS sounds just like mine! LOL

Isn't that odd:rolleyes: ... they make a neat sound when that 400xt fires up and vibrates throught the aluminum fuse. I loves the sound of it flying.:D

Dave I am still trying to figure out the windows movie maker program. I tried cutting my clip and trimming it both but I keep ending up with sound and no video on the part I want to keep.:( I just get a black screen. I am absolutely 100 percent certain I am doing something wrong... but I'll figure it out eventually.

and yes foam it is a really good camera for the money. I like it a lot!

aviatordave
07-05-2006, 06:18 PM
What kind of file does your camera create? (mpeg, avi, mov, asf ....)

Some file extentions might not work with moviemaker, but we can convert it easy enough to one that will be compatible.

Dave

firemanbill
07-05-2006, 07:02 PM
they are saved as .avi files. Might have something to with it you think?

aviatordave
07-05-2006, 09:14 PM
no, I have used AVI files before......it should work :confused:

have you started over? maybe just delete everything out of moviemaker, restart the computer and drag the file back in. Maybe one of your video transitions is on top of the video file......try to not use transitions and see if that works......then slowly add transitions to see what gets screwed up.

hmmm......keep at it!

<Maybe Kosh will chime in here, he's made his share of videos>

Dave

Kosh
07-07-2006, 05:32 AM
Dave's advice is pretty sound, I run windows XP and love to play around with the movie maker without problems. Check you updates because there are a few just for it as well as the windows media player. Always start on a fresh reboot with as few programs running in the background as possible as rendering a video sucks up all the computer resources.

I liked your vid and know you can do better with your setup, Use throttle sparingly and just slow down once at hight for video. Its all about keeping it above stall speed (Less Vibration) and big slow turns to see the whole big area. I really want you to try a few more a little slower and see what comes out as I'm sure we will all be impressed. :)

firemanbill
07-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks Kosh, great advice!:D I will definatley do more in the near future. We are getting ready to go out of town for a few days so won't be able to any til next week but stay tuned. I will give all your pointers a try and see how it turns out.

Nitro Blast
07-12-2006, 09:23 PM
And yes nitro for the money it is a really cool camera! I don't care much for the editing software that came with it but it works...

What do you use to edit yours?

As mentioned, I too use Windows XP Media Movie Maker. Simple, I didnt have to read anything, and it works.

firemanbill
07-13-2006, 02:29 AM
Good to hear and I hate to admit it but I must be really dumb. AZnd I'm usually pretty good at figuring out this computer stuff... When I drag the bar across to trim it the rest of it goes black. It still plays the sound but the vid is gone. I have no effects on, I've checked that, it just goes away no matter what I try...

O well, I'll keep at it.

Kosh
07-13-2006, 02:44 AM
Just use the split feature instead then, play to the point your ready for a cut and you can go frame by frame till you get to the right spot then hit the split button next to the camera on the viewer. After spliting it just go to the next spot where you want to start and split again. This gives you a whole segment that can just be deleted. Use as many times as needed till you have the footage your after. Hope that helps a little.

firemanbill
07-13-2006, 02:53 AM
I haven't tried it that way yet. I'll give it a shot if I can get my cat off kj vbls jk kehy uc dang keyboard.....:D