PDA

View Full Version : Alfa P47D Build and Flight Log

alienx
07-06-2006, 02:48 AM
I'm sure the Chow Hound is a plane a lot of people have seen or discussed already. But it's new to me and I wanted to share my build and flight experiences with my friends in here. So I am starting this thread. I also would be happy to get any feedback I can from people that have built this one already!

First, let me say that I love the plane. It's an Alfa size and quality version of my favorite plane (E-flite P47D). I'm so used to looking at my Alfa P51D lately that it's a little weird seeing a plane that is for all intents and purposes, the same, but is actually a different plane all together. It's going to be pretty cool to see them side-by-side when this one is done (or to see the P47 in the air!!).

I have known from the beginning that I wanted a plane with invasion stripes. So I have that now. These are painted on nicely. It's a good thing too because as decals, they would have been a lot of work.

I planned to put one of my Esskay 400XT motors in this plane. I don't have the motor yet, but in spite of the listed size, I think it will be a tough fit behind the cowl. There seems to be only about 3/4" between the firewall and the cowl. But Hobby Lobby recommends the larger MP Jet motor, which is larger as described on their web site, so we'll have to wait and see once my shipment gets here.

Another thing I noticed is that the cowl is solid except for the motor shaft hole and the small hole at the bottom. I think the plane might need a little more airflow, so maybe the cowl will have to be trimmed between the fake cylinders. There also isn't a single outlet on the fuse, so maybe there is some need there too (though the P51 doesn't have any now that I think about it). At any rate, the cowl seems to be a little thicker than the P51 cowl. I think I will use double sided tape to secure this one from the inside so I don't peel the finish off like I did on the P51.

The battery hatch is held on with a unique system of wooden catches. It is also a more secure design because the hatch itself is plastic over foam. There is a picture below to help show this. Right now, I like this better than the flimsy latch and hatch on the P51. This one doesn't move around once on the plane.

Speaking of plastic, most of the bottom of the front of the plane is a piece of plastic. This should be handy for landings. The plastic bottom is a part od what seems to be the only fuse stiffener. There is a pretty robust firewall with some wooden supports behind it, but I don't think they go back too far. Actually, only far enough to hold tha battery tray, which is already installed. The only other structural support is a piece of wood glued across the fuse and attached to the plastic bottom of the plane. It is the piece that the wing bolt screws into but I think it also adds lateral support. The entire rear of the fuse (aft of the wing) is a hollow tube of foam. It seems pretty solid though.

The kit comems with all the usual Alfa small parts, including a pilot. It looks like the canopy is only tacked onto the hatch. So I guess you can pop it off and glue your pilot in place. It also comes with a nice spinner hub but I don't think it will fit a prop adapter for a 3mm shaft. That is, the hole in the supplied washer that the spinner mounts to, seems to be smaller than the prop adapter shaft. I haven't ried this yet, but if it doesn't fit, I bought a couple MP Jet spinner nuts that look the part. one of them will fit I'm sure.

I think this is going to be a great plane. I'm looking forward to starting the build on Friday or Saturday. As I mentioned, I would be happy to get any advice or comment from anyone that has one built already.

In no particular order, here are some picture.

Thanks. Andy

alienx
07-06-2006, 02:49 AM
More pics.

ForestCam
07-06-2006, 03:04 AM
Nice looking bird! I think you may be right about the motor clearance, I was checking out the detail pics at HL and they have the cowl trimmed around the MP Jet and it's sticking through.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/images/alf20904.jpg

alienx
07-06-2006, 03:45 AM
Great tip. You know, I saw that picture someplace before (probably one of the 1077 times I looked at that plane on the website!!). It mentioned enlarging the prop shaft hole, but it never dawned on me that that is what they meant.

Depending how bad the Esskay fits, I may do some surgery on the firewall to try to keep the nice clean look of the plane. Who knows, I'll have to wait to see what the fit is like.

barmonkey
07-09-2006, 04:03 PM
When using the MP Jet motor, you need to flip the firewall mount around.

I sized up the 400x and I believe that if you notch out the the original hole in the firewall and glue another peice of ply directly behind the original firewall, there will be no need to cut the cowling. Cutting the cowl may not be such a bad idea for the sake of cooling though. However, due to the irregularity of the molded motor it will be tough to get a clean cut. I have seen some other's...and honestly they looked pretty bad. So therefore, I am mortified at the idea of performing a hack job!
One tip I remember, is to maiden without the cowling on. That way if you have a bad hand toss and dork the plane to the ground...the flimsy cowl will be saved.

alienx
08-04-2006, 02:07 AM
OK, I'm back from vacation and made some progress on my bird. I was really agonizing over the motor mount, but I think I got it to where I won't have to cut the cowl.

The tail linkage was pretty simple and straight forward. I just glued the linkage tube to the side of the fuse and hot glued the servo in place. I had to use a larger Dubro connector link because I dropped the screw for the Alfa wing one into the wing and it disappeared without a trace. Kinda like hitting a whiffle ball into a bush when you were a kid. The sad thing is that I knew it was going to happen because I was too lazy to take the control arm off the servo and start the threading. But I've done it before and always was able to shake the screw out of the wing and start over. Not this time!!

As far as the motor goes, the 400XT is small! It looks small anyway. I did as best I could to measure the distances inside the cowl to the firewall, and the length of the motor and whatnot, and it just seemed like I needed about another 1/8" clearance. I knew the diameter of the motor was smaller than the MP Jet motor, so even if I had to cut the cowl, I should be able to do a smaller hole than the one in the HL picture. But like Barmonkey said, it would be tough to get a clean round hole.

Even more thoublesome was the location of the prop adapter. I just felt like it stuck out to far from the cowl. You can see it in one of the pictures. And if you look closely you can see that the cowl wasn't even seated all the way on the fuse. So I wanted the motor to be mounted deeper.

I thought about mounting the motor behind the firewall and even envisioned how I could do it with some nice nylon screws that I could CA in place. I could always cut or drill them off later if I needed to replace anything. And they would be light. But I would have had to cut away the battery tray behind the firewall to allow the motor mount to sit right. I ended up settling for a front mount with the benefit of a routed firewall. I ended up getting about an extra 1/8" clearance like I wanted, and there is still about 1/8" of firewall left to mount the motor into. The firewall isn't the hardest wood but I think this will work OK. And if it ever pulls free, I'll just rotate the mount and use the whole firewall and just cut the cowl like I might have done from the start. I think this will be fine though.

I would have drilled it and mounted the motor tonight but I want to have a clear head to check my alignment first. Then I just have to put in the elctronics. I may even be able to fly it this weekend.

barmonkey
08-05-2006, 04:52 AM
Excellent! I am glad to see you post again. I have been on pins and needles waiting to see what you came up with. Looks like you have the right idea. I have looked mine over and over and figured that routing the firewall out is the best option also. You may be able to cut some ply to glue dirctly behind the 400xt's mounting screws.
I have flown mine with the speed 300 and gearbox but I think that my pinion has let loose...so I will be taking your lead.

alienx
08-05-2006, 02:12 PM
You may be able to cut some ply to glue dirctly behind the 400xt's mounting screws.

You are exactly correct! I realized this just after I finished routing. I figured I should have just routed all the way through and glued up some ply behind the new openings. But there must have been a reason I did it the way I did. I think it was that I was worried about the prop clearance of the cowl. I think mounting the motor all the way through the firewall (on other plywood) would make the clearance pretty tight. But it is probably smart to glue some stronger ply behind the firewall for the screws to grab. I think I am going to be OK like this, But if it ever tears out, I will do that myself. The Alfa wood is light, but not very robust!

I got most of the build finished last night. I flew my P-51D and E-flite P-47D this morning, but the wind was gusty so only two batteries and back in the car. The landings were a treat in the wind though. Slow approaches with lots of lift!

Here is a few more pics of the progress. I have a prop drying in the front room (yellow on black of course!). You can see where I put my electronics. Nothing special, but this seemed to work for me. I routed the antenna out a hole I drilled in the very back of the plastic piece on the bottom back of the fuse (that second exhaust port or whatever it is). Then I taped the antenna in a couple spots all the way back to the bottom of the rudder.

I am really happy with the motor mount now that I think about it. It seems to clear the cowl well and is virtually dead-center! I think it is going to look very nice with the prop and spinner on. If you look at the picture with the cowl, you'll see that the opening in the cowl is very small. I think I am going to sand it open a bit with my rotary tool before I fly it. I think this will let is breath a little better without detracting from the clean look of the finished cowl.

The only other thing that bothers me (and I had the same problem, from the opposite direction, with my P-51D) is that I can't get to the battery if I put it where it needs to go to balance the plane. I am sad to say that I may add a 1/4 oz of weight to the nose to allow me to keep the battery closer to the opening under the cockpit. You can see I have set up a velcro strap where I want the battery to be. I did a quick weight check last night when I was trying to balance her, and the weight was only about 14.25 oz with my heavier version of the 1350 mah lipo I will be using. My TP 1320 is about a 1/4 oz or so lighter. So worst-case, I should be about 14.5 oz. I think that is less than Alfa says it should be, and only about 1/4-1/2 oz heavier than my Mustang.

I fly the Mustang with an 8x6SF and make more than enough power, so I am going to bench test that prop on this motor. I never used a 400XT before, so I'm not sure what the draw and power will be like with different props. If I am close to the 10 amps and a power level I feel good about, I probably won't look any further. But I am really curious to see what other combinations will do (just too lazy to balance and test more props!).

That's it for now. I hope to be able to button her up for a maiden later this morning. Hopefully the winds will come down a little.

Stay tuned.

Andy

Grasshopper
08-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Looking good Alien! Can't wait to hear about the maiden.

alienx
08-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Looking good Alien! Can't wait to hear about the maiden.

Thanks Grasshopper!

Well, still waiting out the breeze. Maybe tonight. But she's ready to go! Actually, I still have to do a final balance and put her in my radio. The radio part caused me to kill my first E-flite P-47D when I put my Mustang in it. Hopefully I'm smarter (or luckier) now!

This is a really good looking bird to me. I guess it's wierd because I've stared at it on-line in posts and on the HL site for months. So now it is in my house and looks exactly the same. I am anxious to see if it is moe balanced in flight than the Mustang, and if it shares any of the great flight characteristics of the E-flite version.

The 400XT with 8x6SF made 130 watts at 11.5 amps or so. That's peak obviously. The amp draw fell back to around 11 after a while, and up to a few clicks before WOT, I wasn't near 10 amps. So I guess I will work with this prop. On my P-51D with the MP Jet (blue) motor, I made about 137 watts at 11.96 amps. So pretty close to the same results. The ESC in both cases is a Thunderbird 18 from Castle Creations.

AUW is 14.35 with my heavy battery (14.60 if I need to add the nose weight). That works out to a fairly healthy 144 watts/pound, more or less. My Mustang is overpowered at these levels (although I do enjoy flying it that way), so I am assuming the P-47D will be in the same boat despite the somewhat fatter body.

alienx
08-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Well, I thought things were going great, but I cannot get the plane to balance without adding about 3/4 oz of lead to the cowl. This is pretty troubling. But even worse is that fact that the battery has to be shoved all the way under the fuse past the cockpit opening to get the plane to balance, even with the extra weight. This means that I can't strap the battery in place (or even really get my fingers on it). You can see the location of the battery in the picture. The picture is actually deceiving. The battery is completely outside the hatch opening. It actually needs to be about an inch further forward to balance without the weight.

I'd be curious to know what Alfa designed this thing to be flown with. There is no way that a heavy enough motor, to allow the battery to be accessible in the hatch opening (by keeping it back away from the nose), would allow you to keep the plane under the recommended AUW. This seems to be a design shortcoming.

Maiden on hold until I can figure this out.

alienx
08-07-2006, 02:08 AM
I think I fixed the problem. I toyed with the idea of building a ply battery box, and then balsa to save weight. I started to carve some balsa pieces that I thought could channel the battery. But I couldn't figure out how I was going to glue everything in. Then it hit me ...my other P-47D has a foam battery channel in it that works out pretty nicely. So I took the idea and one side at a time I shaped some rails out of an old piece of VCR packing foam. Then I put a balsa stop on the nose end. Then I built a plug for the top side. It aint pretty, but it seems to work well. AUW is now balanced at 14.39 oz. That's .09 oz more than before I put the battery cage in.

In the process, I also jockeyed the receiver and ESC around a little. I moved the Rx up about 4 inches, which goes against my better judgement, but it weighs 1/2 an ounce so I'm sure it helped. I could only get the ESC forward about an inch, but I also pulled the motor wires and connectors through the firewall for a little extra forward weight.

So no lead, and no worries on securing the battery.

Now I just need lighter winds. But no hurry I guess.

PS. Man I hope I don't crash this thing!!

alienx
08-09-2006, 08:13 PM
It's on! The winds are less than 5 right now. I'm going to try to get out of work early and head to the field for the maiden. I have three batteries charged (which may outlast my transmitter!). That should give me plenty of flying for the maiden.

I've never been nervous about a first flight before. Maybe I've had too much time to think about this one!

Stay tuned.

barmonkey
08-10-2006, 02:18 AM
I hope the maiden went well...I have been fooling with my GP Corsair and installed the 400xt in it. I didn't modify the firewall yet, so the motor stick out a bit. It performed well with a GWS 9x5 HD. Today it flew with the same 8x6 HD you are using and it flies even better. The Corsair is about an ounce heavier than the P-47, so you should get even better performance than I had.

alienx
08-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Ah, no maiden yet. I couldn't get home from work early enough so I went out this morning before work. I was doing my pre-flight, waiting for the sun to come up so I could see, and one of the ailerons made a popping sound and then stopped working in the up direction. I figured the linkage pulled but the aileron would move down, just not up. Maybe that's what happened. I'll have to take it apart tonight to fnd out.

But there was vitually no wind, so I ran home and got my P51. It flew like a champ this morning. I guess it's been breezy here lately because that's the first time I've flown in still winds for as long as I can remember. What a treat!! I got two flights and had to come home to go to work. Incidentally, I was toying with the idea of wrapping the antenna to deal with the wobbling of the plane. But I learned once and for all today that the wind is the culprit, not the antenna. The Mustang was rock solid today. And conversely, it was really wobbbly my last time out, which was a gusty day. It definitely seems to wobble in relation to the amount of wind you fly in.

That XT seems like it's gonna be a good motor. For $17 bucks too! I've actually been using the APC SF's, but in 8x6 and 9x4.7, so pretty close to the GWS's. And I too got a lot more power out of the 8x6. Something like 112 watts versus 137. It transformed the Mustang for sure. Good luck with it.

Bigfoot21075
08-11-2006, 03:02 PM
What about using a micro antenna on that plane?

alienx
08-11-2006, 03:41 PM
What about using a micro antenna on that plane?

The look of the antenna never really bothered me. Maybe someday I will get to the point where I go scale enough that I don't want to see it trailing. Then I would check out some type of micro antenna. But I hope it doesn't come to that.

I've already spent far too much time trying to get an Alfa in the air. I think that is a character flaw (perfectionism??). I guess you have to keep it simple and just get them in the air.

Anyway. I think my aileron problem was an unglued control tube on one side of the wing. The wing was making a lot of noise when I put the servo in (a groaning sound of sorts), but I chose to ignore it because everything seemed to be working fine. I think this may have contributed to the failure of the glue holding the control tube in the wing. It may not have been routed properly or something and put undue stress on the glued point. Man am I glad it popped during the preflight and not the actual maiden. I think it would have been uncontrolable.

HL suggested trying to reglue it, so I will open up the servo hole a little tonight and see if the tube is accessible. If so I'll just glue it back to the wing. That should get me back on schedule to actually fly this darn thing. I can't believe what a project I've allowed this simple plane to become already. It's embarrassing!

alienx
08-17-2006, 02:31 AM
Well, I had something a little more sinister than a loose linkage tube happening. For whatever reason (and I didn't open the wing to find out) the pushrod on one side was not moving the aileron. You could hear the pushrod coiling up inside the wing instead of coming out the aileron side of the tube.

Hobby Lobby sent me another wing, which came tonight. It's got a few dings in it, and it doesn't really line up with the fuse like the original wing did, so I wonder if it was lying around the shop for some reason. Other than that though, it should work I guess. I glued the servo back in tonight so I should be able to dial it in tomorrow, in time for a Friday morning dawn maiden if the weather is good.

It looks a little weird without the decals on the wing, but I guess that makes mine a stealth fighter right!? Either way, I think this plane has taken the wind out of my Alfa sails. I've wanted to build a GWS Corsair anyway, so maybe that will be my next purchase. It's a little larger if I remember correctly, which is a good thing to me. I scored a MP Jet red motor and another 400XT today in the HL sales event, so i should be good to go.

I hope to be able to report a succesful maiden and a happy ownership experience in another day or so.

Andy

Bigfoot21075
08-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Mine weighed in at 14.79 oz, just slightly higher than the allowed 14.75oz with my 3 cell lipo and blue jet motor. It flew GREAT. I hope you have success on your flight!

alienx
08-18-2006, 03:50 AM
I don't think 15-16 is too heavy for these. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for the good wishes. I've never been nervous about a maiden before. I guess this Mustang crash has me wigged a little. It's on again for 5:30AM tomorrow.

I put it all back together tonight. Balanced AUW with the 400XT and the heavier Apex 1350 is 14.30 oz on the button. I can drop that down to 13.70 oz with the TP 1320 I have (but I'm not sure that it will balance anymore!). Both batteries will see duty as long as the balance isn't too different. In comparison, my P51 was flying at around 14.65 oz, so only marginally heavier.

I'm a little dissappointed with the new wing. I wonder if HL just sent me a returned part. I put a picture below to see the gap it fits with. Hopefully it flies well! At this point I just want to get it airborn!

Stay tuned.

alienx
08-18-2006, 02:01 PM
She flew like a champ!! I feel really good right now.

The maiden was crazy. I launched it and the plane went almost vertical (Werner, I know how your Mustang crashed!!). It was all I could do to keep it from looping behind me. But I was ready because my P51 flew the same way. I got into A LOT of down stick to try to keep the plane out in front of me and it was a challenge with the little roll it was trying to mix in. I finally got my finger on the trim tab and dialed in a lot of down. When I looked at the trim after the flight, I was almost maxed out on my elevator.

Anyway, I got out of the throttle because I was already high and didn't want to have things happening so fast at this point. So the plane leveled off and I could dial in the fine tuning. It took a little aileron trim too, but then I was able to get my heart rate under control and realize that the plane was now stable and flying level.

To make a long story short, it flies very very nicely! As a matter of fact, it flies just like my E-flite P47, only in an Alfa fashion (smaller and lighter). I must say that I think I have found a favorite warbird. I suspected this after I got my E-flite, and this plane seems to confrim the theory that the P47 is a rock solid flier. Once trimmed, it is truly a hands off plane.

I really grew to love my P51, but in hind sight, that was in spite of its flaws. It really had a tendency to want to nose up any time it got flying faster than its trimmed speed. This plane has the same tendency, but not nearly as badly. It goes where you point it, just like the E-flite. I read someplace a while back where someone made fun of someone else making that claim. But it is absolutely not true of all planes, as this person made it seem. I had to constantly fly the Mustang. Contrarily, the P47 only needs input to change its direction. Then it stays where you put it.

I got two flights in zero wind this morning. I got a little long on my first landing (it's a floater!) and bumped into a plastic garbage can at the edge of the field. You can see it behind my car in one of the pics below. No real damage other than the battery taking out my forward battery stop. But the foam rails I built are tight enough to hold the battery in place so I put in a second one and had some more fun. When do you get to the point where you can stop saying things like "nothing really bad happened, but ..."

The second launch was a dream. The plane left my hand and tracked horizontally like a dart! I will say that along with being extremely stable, this plane is simple to do aerobatics with. I did a ton of these two things I don't know the name of. In one, you pull up to vertical, roll a 180 so the belly is facing you, and then pull back down until the plane is belly down and coming towards you. The other is similar but you pull through half a loop and then roll out of inverted on the down side of the loop. It was really effortless. In the P51, I had to power up and sneak up on the manuever. Otherwise, the plane wouldn't hold a heading. I could do these things in the P47 from any position in the sky. And even if I was a little off heading, I could correct it mid-move. The rolls are also very nice with no elevator, but I'll have to work on nice slow ones now. With the little elevator I was having to mix in in the inverted position with the P51, you get that weird, kind of non-axial flop at the end of the roll.

Oh yea, That 400XT is the bomb. I found it very hard to believe that that motor could fly the plane like the big MP Jet would, especially after actually holding one in my hand. I was wrong. They make a slightly different sound, but I couldn't tell them apart from the performance characteristics. And for $17 bucks, what a bargain!

Well, I don't really know what else to say. The plane is great in spite of the ill-fitting wing. It is a treat to launch, once balanced. I had to be fast to the sticks with the Mustang because of all the down elevator I had to trim into it. I did have what I think are two separate drop-outs in the motor on the second flight. I've never consciously had a glitch of any kind before, so this was either that, or something else the motor didn't like. It was a hiccup of sorts that didn't seem to be a real problem, but it made my heart skip. I'll have to watch out for that though going forward.

To sum it up, I would say that if you have never flown a P47, do it. The plane really seems to be a truly great airframe to fly. Here's a pic before and after the flight. Nothing special, but I had to commemorate the event!

Andy

PS. Anybody have any decals for my wing??

casedit
08-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey AlienX, just read this post and just found this site.. I just received my p47 razorback.. starting to put it together this week. I've wanted an alfa p47 for a while but decided to start flying on an EZ-star which I think was wise.

So now i'm ready for this plane hopefully... your post was helpful.

I'm in NJ, monmouth county... where r u?

alienx
08-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey AlienX, just read this post and just found this site.. I just received my p47 razorback.. starting to put it together this week. I've wanted an alfa p47 for a while but decided to start flying on an EZ-star which I think was wise.

So now i'm ready for this plane hopefully... your post was helpful.

I'm in NJ, monmouth county... where r u?

Man, I'm honered, your first post!!

You are wise to start where you did. I'm not sure an Alfa is a good second plane either, but that's up to you. As far as your choice goes though, you made a good one. I really think this P47 airframe is rock solid. So, one of the best choices in warbird!! You'll like it alot. I wish I got the razorback but I couldn't wait.

Don't let my thread bother you either. I made a bit of a project out of it. It really should have been a straight-forward build. But that's how my mind works. I like the detail. Done again, I would bolt the motor to the front of the firewall, cut the cowl, and go flying!

Let me know how you make out with yours. Any motor choice yet?

Good luck, Andy

PS. I'm up around 135 on the Parkway. Been flying in empty schoolyards mostly. But I surf all over your county (the watery edge of it anyway!!), so I've had my eyes open when I travel down there.

alienx
08-28-2006, 07:12 PM
Well, since I'm here, I guess I should update my flight log right!?

I took my bird out the Saturday morning after the maiden and got 5 good flights using all of my 1350 mah battery packs. Actually one of them is a TP 1320. The plane floats and flies nicely at 14.30 oz, but with the TP battery in it it comes in at 13.70 oz. Now that is a light plane!!. It flies really really well. I've got a little bit of what might be motor glitching, so I may jockey the receiver around a little. But I think that should be fine. It doesn't seem to be near any danger zone as far as balance goes.

I did back the elevator from 65% to 60% on my low rate setting. I never fly in high rates, so 60% is my setting for elevator and ailerons. Been windy or rainy here since these flights though, so I am really starting to get cranky!!

Oh yea, I took a really good look at the wing to try to see what was going on. It IS in fact a bad wing. Bad in the glueing anyway. It appears that the belly of the wing is glued on as a separate piece. Mine is skewed to one side. It doesn't seem to affect the flight, but it looks a little odd.

casedit
08-28-2006, 07:12 PM
thanks. I went with the rec'd blue outrunner. I also flew the PTS Hangar-9 mustang and was comfortable so i'm hoping i'm ok with this plane..but it seems it may be a little tricky early on... we'll see!!

Yah - i'm in colts neck, joined the jc fliers who have a field there but have been sticking to local parks and electric...so much easier and quicker!

I'll be sure to post my flight log, hopefully it takes more than 1post!!!

alienx
08-28-2006, 07:18 PM
thanks. I went with the rec'd blue outrunner. I also flew the PTS Hangar-9 mustang and was comfortable so i'm hoping i'm ok with this plane..but it seems it may be a little tricky early on... we'll see!!

Yah - i'm in colts neck, joined the jc fliers who have a field there but have been sticking to local parks and electric...so much easier and quicker!

I'll be sure to post my flight log, hopefully it takes more than 1post!!!

I think you'll be fine! It is good that you got a taste of an aileron warbird. The plane doesn't have bad habits, it just allows things to happen quicker. Keep it off the ground pretty far and you can get comfortable with it. The landings are long and not so fast (at least that's how they feel to me). The beauty of the two Alfa's I've had is that even if you get anxious on the landing (because it keep flying forward), you can still get some lift out of it for a flare later on. What I mean is that I've felt like it was time to do my final flare, but the plane still have enough lift to pop back up in the air. If you ease the stick forward to correct, the plane is light enough to still get some flare the second time around. Just keep the wings level and relax!!

Have fun with it.

PS. I grew up in East Bruinswick. That's a nice area down there!

Oh yea. I think a lot of people (and HL) recommend a 9x6 for these. It will be a rocket that way. I use an 8x6 and still have more power than I need. I started flying my first Alfa with a 9x4.7 SF. That seemed to be a good choice for a more mellow flight with plenty of power not to really get in trouble.

casedit
08-28-2006, 07:45 PM
Good tips, thanks. I'm hoping to build this thurs night, and hopefully maiden soon after that - i'll try and get some video or at least some pics. I've always loved the p-47, i was impressed with the looks of the alfa but man - it looks so delicate and lightweight, like the slightest breeze would carry it away, but time will tell.

I'm just psyched to have a warbird with none of the gas headaches and a fraction of the time to setup and fly! Sweet bird it is.

Over.

Grasshopper
08-28-2006, 08:15 PM
You guys are really making me sad with all this P-47 talk. My E-flight P-47 has been down for 5 weeks now waiting on a replacement ESC from Castle Creations. I absolutely love flying my P-47.

Good luck with the maiden casedit!

alienx
08-28-2006, 08:37 PM
You guys are really making me sad with all this P-47 talk. My E-flight P-47 has been down for 5 weeks now waiting on a replacement ESC from Castle Creations. I absolutely love flying my P-47.

I know what you mean!! I've been looking at mine on the floor for about 12 days now. BAD WEATHER!

Incidentally, I flew both my P47's back-to-back last time out. I guess I got used to the Alfa's because that E-flite felt way faster. I guess it didn't feel faster as much as it felt like I needed a bigger park (if that makes any sense). It was nice though.

casedit
08-28-2006, 08:45 PM

Thanks!

arck
08-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Reading the thread makes me think to buy this plane for my next project,,,,

alienx
08-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Reading the thread makes me think to buy this plane for my next project,,,,
I thought I had enough Alfa's now but if it goes on sale, I may have to buy the razorback too!!

Grasshopper
08-29-2006, 10:12 PM
I thought I had enough Alfa's now but if it goes on sale, I may have to buy the razorback too!!

Come on Alien. Go ahead and buy it. Don't wait for the sale.

alienx
08-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Come on Alien. Go ahead and buy it. Don't wait for the sale.

I'm going to be older in two weeks. Maybe someone else will hook me up!!

casedit
09-05-2006, 02:17 AM
well i planned on maidening my alfa p-47 today, but Ernesto threw off my interest thinking it wasn't going to be nice out so I delayed some of the build.. then today was beautiful!!

The build is taking a little longer than expected, i'm a slow builder and meticulous, which is a bad combination.

Thoughts so far...Damn! I epoxied the cowl on.. it was too late when I realized, what if I need to get to the motor? Lets hope not..

Also - this is by far a dumb-a$$ question but this is only my second plane.. but the prop should rotate counter-clockwise correct?

Hopefully finish her up this week.

alienx
09-05-2006, 03:37 AM
well i planned on maidening my alfa p-47 today, but Ernesto threw off my interest thinking it wasn't going to be nice out so I delayed some of the build.. then today was beautiful!!

The build is taking a little longer than expected, i'm a slow builder and meticulous, which is a bad combination.

Thoughts so far...Damn! I epoxied the cowl on.. it was too late when I realized, what if I need to get to the motor? Lets hope not..

Also - this is by far a dumb-a$$ question but this is only my second plane.. but the prop should rotate counter-clockwise correct?

Hopefully finish her up this week.

I have equally bad but different stories of my own (as does EVERYONE in here I'm sure!).

Prop rotates like you said, if you are looking at the front of the plane. The easiest way to tell the correct way to put the prop on is to put the side with the size or brand stamp facing out. I had to ask the same question!!

You may get lucky with the cowl. when the time comes, just start squeezing it in different spots (gently) and see if you can break the seal. Or, take the prop off and try to stick some padded object up through the prop hole and push outward. Worst case, just cut around the motor. You may already have had to put a fairly large hole in it anyway, depending on how you mounted the motor. I've seen one guy in here somewhere modify an E-flite. He cut the hole radial part out of the cowl I think. He put some vents in the nose to allow the air to pass through the cowl easier and gain some aerodynamics. It didn't look bad. Also, my Corsair that's on the table now has an "open" cowl. Nothing but motor and prop!

I too expected a bad wind weekend (but flew Saturday anyway). Put one flight on my E-flite P47 and almost lost it in the wind and sun. I consider myself very lucky. I am nearing completion of two other planes, and I thought I was going to remain true to my no more than two planes in the flight-line approach to piloting!!

Keep us posted. Good luck with the maiden when you get there.

casedit
09-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Alienx - Thanks for the info, your pics are also really helpful, i'm not looking forward to trying to place my battery!

You flew Saturday?? You're a nut! :eek: It poured by us in monmouth cty all day long...

alienx
09-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Alienx - Thanks for the info, your pics are also really helpful, i'm not looking forward to trying to place my battery!

You flew Saturday?? You're a nut! :eek: It poured by us in monmouth cty all day long...

I just realized I lied. I flew Sunday morning. It was calm at my house and got blowing by the time I got to my park. You could see wisps of low clouds blowing in and over the top. A mistake.

I wouldn't sweat the battery just yet. You cockpit hatch may be in a better place than mine. Plus, your motor is heavier than mine by 1/2 an ounce!

Glad the thread is helping.

arck
09-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Hey Andy the Alfas are a success, HL increases the price, now is difficult for me to buy one, hope its on sale in graves store for christmas .,,,,:(

alienx
09-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Wow! That's a shame. I don't need another one now ...

I guess $7 dollars isn't going to make me quit the hobby, but I already had to wrestle with the price tag.

I'm sad to see this happen.

Hey Werner, check out a GWS. I'm not trying to advertise for them, but I got a slope Corsair for $26.99 from Tower Hobby and it has been a great project so far!! I've been wanting to glass something for a while, and painting it to my own satisfaction is going to be fun too. It's by no means an Alfa kind of plane, but I think when it is done, it will be a great plane to own. It is also 36" or so across the wing, which is great in my mind. It comes with everything you need in the box, and even has redundant parts, which I've been able to use for other planes. It has taken me a while to build mine, but that is because I've been feeling my way through it. I'll put up some pics when it's done. You can't beat the price if you don't mind doing all the building yourself. But i've seen your skills repairing that P51, so this should be a walk in the park for you!!

arck
09-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Wow! That's a shame. I don't need another one now ...

I guess $7 dollars isn't going to make me quit the hobby, but I already had to wrestle with the price tag.

I'm sad to see this happen
Hey Werner, check out a GWS. I'm not trying to advertise for them, but I got a slope Corsair for $26.99 from Tower Hobby and it has been a great project so far!! I've been wanting to glass something for a while, and painting it to my own satisfaction is going to be fun too. It's by no means an Alfa kind of plane, but I think when it is done, it will be a great plane to own. It is also 36" or so across the wing, which is great in my mind. It comes with everything you need in the box, and even has redundant parts, which I've been able to use for other planes. It has taken me a while to build mine, but that is because I've been feeling my way through it. I'll put up some pics when it's done. You can't beat the price if you don't mind doing all the building yourself. But i've seen your skills repairing that P51, so this should be a walk in the park for you!!

yea,,,I will stay in touch with you and the GWS, seems fine for me to replace the P51 for the moment,,,,,

casedit
09-07-2006, 03:57 AM
well got the servos installed, i've got 7hrs into this plane already... it would probably take me years to build a topflite... i guess thats why these e-foamers make so much sense to me.. i don''t have years to wait to fly!

some pics so far, nothing new to those who own but something to look at

alienx
09-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Looking good! It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like you are going to have a more forward battery hatch on yours. That will be a help. You can probably strap yours right in place there.

I do like that razorback!

casedit
09-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Looking good! It's hard to tell from the pics but it looks like you are going to have a more forward battery hatch on yours. That will be a help. You can probably strap yours right in place there.

I do like that razorback!

Thanks! So you used a velcro strap? I was only planning on using the supplied velcro but thats a good idea...where'd you get it?

alienx
09-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks! So you used a velcro strap? I was only planning on using the supplied velcro but thats a good idea...where'd you get it?

I think others use just the supplied velcro too. I just never felt good about that. That's all you need is an aggressive manuever to peel that thing off in flight. For one thing, your COG would be finished. Also, it will be bouncing off of all your other components. Maybe that is an unfounded fear, but I try not to test it.

In the Jug, I didn't need it (couldn't use it actually) due to the position of the battery in relation to the hatch. But in my other planes and P51 Alfa (before I crashed it), I used the velcro strap. The base velcro holds the battery from sliding, and the strap holds the battery on the base velcro.

They sell velcro "wire-ties" at most hardware stores, but I had a piece of strapping left over from some other product I bought. I've been cutting strips about 1/4" wide out of it and using that in my models. The ready made ones are lighter duty but I think that would be perfect for this application. They are also less rigid than my homemade ones. That makes it easier to get it snug around the battery.

alienx
09-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Well, the USPS has control of my plane right now. I boxed it up to ship to Florida so I could do some flying with my dad. He's never flown before. This was the simplest bird to ship, so his maiden will have to be a P47. I got him G3 to practice on a while back when he was recovering from some surgery. So we kind of hatched this plan before he went into the hospital. Hoepfully all goes well. We are actually going to be flying with a local club in his retirement community, which will be a first for me (more people than me in the air, that is). Oh, incidentally, I do have a trainer cord that we will be using. Maybe somebody at the club will have an easier plane to use for his first flight, who knows.

If she comes back in one piece, I hope to get some more flight info up.

casedit
09-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Good luck from the flight deck. sounds like a good time and a great thing to do for your pop.

alienx
09-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Good luck from the flight deck. sounds like a good time and a great thing to do for your pop.

Thanks!

Yea, my dad actually got me involved in this hobby about 35 years ago. He used to take me and my brothers down to Jamesburg to watch the flying. He always wanted to do RC but just never got it to happen. Now we have a plan!!

Stay tuned. Hopefully you won't see the black cloud of smoke to the South on Friday!

arck
09-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks!

Yea, my dad actually got me involved in this hobby about 35 years ago. He used to take me and my brothers down to Jamesburg to watch the flying. He always wanted to do RC but just never got it to happen. Now we have a plan!!

Stay tuned. Hopefully you won't see the black cloud of smoke to the South on Friday!
Congratulations Andy for the idea, for sure your father will be happy of flying with you, send him a greeting on my behalf, see you when you return,,,,
werner

alienx
09-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Congratulations Andy for the idea, for sure your father will be happy of flying with you, send him a greeting on my behalf, see you when you return,,,,
werner
Hey Werner, Thanks! I'm sure my dad will be happy to know he has friends as far away as South America!!

PS. I have a new project in mind. I think you may like this one too. I just need to do a little more research. Stay tuned.

casedit
09-12-2006, 03:16 PM
alienx,

quick ?. The pilot that comes with the alfa.. do you trim the excess, then cut him in half and try and glue together the thin profile that's left? What's the method? thanks!

arck
09-12-2006, 03:26 PM
alienx,

quick ?. The pilot that comes with the alfa.. do you trim the excess, then cut him in half and try and glue together the thin profile that's left? What's the method? thanks!
In my last Alfa I did what you said,,,,,although I didn't install it in the plane,,,
wm

alienx
09-12-2006, 03:28 PM
alienx,

I'll tell you what I did but if you saw my pilot up close you might ask someone else instead!!

Actually, I'm happy with mine. I use a pair of those sharp curved grooming scissors you can get at the drug store or supermarket. I first cut him in half and then trim the halves. Trim a little further outside the place you think the line is. Then you can put the halves together and see where you are at. Then keep trimming until you have the two halves making a relatively symetrical body. The halves don't line up for me very well at the edges. I think I generally stick the back half slightly into the front half. when you get it lined up in your fingers, tack it with a drop of thick CA and spray the activator to lock it. I use thick CA because it fills the seam a little. In general, I just try to line up the goggle strap and then make sure the two halves are pretty straight from top to bottom. That is, that the bottom or top is not sticking out to far.

I think you'll be very happy with the results. With my painting abilities, I've always been happy with the qaulity of the bust.

I use a piece of styro wedged into the bottom of the bust to glue the pilot to the plane. I have a box of scrap foam and wood. The foam came from a VCR I bought. I just break pieces off as needed for different projects. It cuts very nicely with a razor saw or sharp Xacto blade. Once it's in the bust, you can sand it so only about 1/16" is sticking out. Then, one drop of CA does nicely to glue him in the cockpit.

For such a small step, it really sets the plane off I think!!

casedit
09-12-2006, 03:45 PM
thanks Arck & Alienx... so did you remove the canopy from the cockpit and glue him in...or did u cut in from the bottom?

arck
09-12-2006, 04:46 PM
thanks Arck & Alienx... so did you remove the canopy from the cockpit and glue him in...or did u cut in from the bottom?
I only glued the canopy with hot silicone so it could removed easily to install the pilot,,,,

alienx
09-12-2006, 04:48 PM
I only glued the canopy with hot silicone so it could removed easily to install the pilot,,,,
Werner has a good idea. I used canopy glue, so mine is more permanent. But Alfa only tacks the canopy in place with a rubbery glue. Don't be afraid to squeeze and pull it a little. It should come off with no damage.

casedit
09-12-2006, 04:50 PM
great. thanks for the quick responses, it's like having personal coaches, lol.

alienx
09-12-2006, 04:54 PM
great. thanks for the quick responses, it's like having personal coaches, lol.

This IS a great site!! I knew that from the first noob question I posted. Very friendly people.

arck
09-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Hey Werner, Thanks! I'm sure my dad will be happy to know he has friends as far away as South America!!

PS. I have a new project in mind. I think you may like this one too. I just need to do a little more research. Stay tuned.
This is great ,, ,,,,,tell me what are you thinking for our next project,,,,,my workbench in attention,,,,

alienx
09-12-2006, 06:24 PM
It was this:

http://home.fuse.net/ryan/p-47.htm

It's a Jim Ryan P-47. The Jim Ryan part doesn't mean anything to me but I stumbled across his planes in another thread and immediately loved the P47.

It's actually smaller than I wanted, but it is a balsa skinned kit that is meant to be glassed. These are the two things that I liked about it. I like the look of a sheeted model, and like the whole process of glassing. I originally though it came with a foam core wing, but it turns out that the P47 is his only kit that is built up wood with no foam.

I have it on hold now though. I swapped a few emails with Jim and he explained the size and build decisions that went into the design. But he also suggested I have a few kit build under my belt first.

I think if you take one look at the razorback, you'll know why I liked it so much. It looks gorgeous to me. I liked it so much I was willing to settle for a smaller-than-Alfa size too. But it's just not in my future anymore now.

Take a look, I think you'll like it.

casedit
09-13-2006, 01:20 PM
alienx - just get the alfa razorback! it sounds like you will eventually anyway - why wait?

TODAY, if the conditions are good, I will be maidening after work, 6pmish... I was trying to arrange to have a friend video it but doesn't look possible. Everything's done except the decals, pilot is in though. I like getting one flight in before doing too much detail in case she 'goes in'

9/13 Late-Day Sorty is on the chalkboard

alienx
09-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Best of luck!!

Take a good look art the elevator. If anything, I think you may want to be slightly down. Both mine went almost vertical on launch at full throttle until i could trim the elevator. At least, be ready to get some down stick in!! It will be interesting to see if yours is trimmed like my two. Good luck.

casedit
09-13-2006, 02:31 PM
thanks for the good words.

So you launch with full throttle? I was thinking around 3/4, based on my zero experience with these models of course.

arck
09-13-2006, 03:10 PM

So you launch with full throttle? I was thinking around 3/4, based on my zero experience with these models of course.
Be ware of the elevator, slightly up or your plane will make a loop near the ground don't ask why I know,,,,
Hey Andy did you put the 2mm up in both ailerons to reduce the climb incidents?
wm

arck
09-13-2006, 03:13 PM
It was this:

http://home.fuse.net/ryan/p-47.htm

It's a Jim Ryan P-47. The Jim Ryan part doesn't mean anything to me but I stumbled across his planes in another thread and immediately loved the P47.

It's actually smaller than I wanted, but it is a balsa skinned kit that is meant to be glassed. These are the two things that I liked about it. I like the look of a sheeted model, and like the whole process of glassing. I originally though it came with a foam core wing, but it turns out that the P47 is his only kit that is built up wood with no foam.

I have it on hold now though. I swapped a few emails with Jim and he explained the size and build decisions that went into the design. But he also suggested I have a few kit build under my belt first.

I think if you take one look at the razorback, you'll know why I liked it so much. It looks gorgeous to me. I liked it so much I was willing to settle for a smaller-than-Alfa size too. But it's just not in my future anymore now.

Take a look, I think you'll like it.
Good project I will search in the web about his performance and characteristics,, could be my friend,,,,,,

Bigfoot21075
09-13-2006, 03:16 PM

I launch at 3/4 and use a medium no step toss about 10 degrees up into the horizon. What was said about the up elevator and loop is VERY true, and it happens fast :rolleyes: Keep the elevator straight till you see where it is going.

Also I ran about 50% expo on elevator and rudder to start with.

alienx
09-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Good to know we all agree on the launch. I think 75% is going to be plenty (What prop??). And it will take some of the vertical out. I found that if I trimmed the plane on the ground using my eyes, I still ended up having too much up elevator. It didn't seem to be visible, but the planes seem to have it inherently.

Werner, I did use a solid 2mm on the ailerons, but who knows if that did anything. Maybe a little washout effect, but I don't know if it softened the climb at speed.

Jim Ryan emailed me one more time and told me he knew a guy near me that would build it for me. But I think that seems like building my own plane and then asking someone else to maiden it. That just seems wrong!! But I want one still, so maybe it will be the project that takes forever for me to finish. I'll just buy it and hack my way through a little at a time. The beauty is that it is supposed to be somewhat more robust than other models due to the sheeting and glass. I guess that's a trade-off for the slightly heavier plane! Let me know how you make out. I'm virtually done building the GWS. I just need to glue the ailerons on and then paint it. The elctronics should only take one night.

PS. I always launch at full throttle. I guess I figure that I don't own any planes that are really "overpowered", so why not use all I have to keep it from dropping. Don't be afraid to launch horizontally like Bigfoot said. It has plenty of power, and unless you built it with an inherent tendency to dive, it will climb out!!

Bigfoot21075
09-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Good to know we all agree on the launch. I think 75% is going to be plenty (What prop??).

I am running a 9 x 6 E prop. The problem I have with full juice at launch is some mean torque roll with my Blue MP Jet.

This really is a GREAT flying plane!

arck
09-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Good to know we all agree on the launch. I think 75% is going to be plenty (What prop??). And it will take some of the vertical out. I found that if I trimmed the plane on the ground using my eyes, I still ended up having too much up elevator. It didn't seem to be visible, but the planes seem to have it inherently.

Werner, I did use a solid 2mm on the ailerons, but who knows if that did anything. Maybe a little washout effect, but I don't know if it softened the climb at speed.

Jim Ryan emailed me one more time and told me he knew a guy near me that would build it for me. But I think that seems like building my own plane and then asking someone else to maiden it. That just seems wrong!! But I want one still, so maybe it will be the project that takes forever for me to finish. I'll just buy it and hack my way through a little at a time. The beauty is that it is supposed to be somewhat more robust than other models due to the sheeting and glass. I guess that's a trade-off for the slightly heavier plane! Let me know how you make out. I'm virtually done building the GWS. I just need to glue the ailerons on and then paint it. The elctronics should only take one night.

PS. I always launch at full throttle. I guess I figure that I don't own any planes that are really "overpowered", so why not use all I have to keep it from dropping. Don't be afraid to launch horizontally like Bigfoot said. It has plenty of power, and unless you built it with an inherent tendency to dive, it will climb out!!
I read in other thread that the GWS didnt have much space for the batteries, I was looking the me-109 (http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/airfly/me-109.htm), the plane looks so cool but is made for brushed so we need to reinforce all the plane that means a lot of weight, and need to be trimmed to locate the power, what about yours did you trimmed the bottom to install the battery? I think I will buy another red mpjet for this kind of plane,,,,

alienx
09-13-2006, 04:25 PM
I read in other thread that the GWS didnt have much space for the batteries, I was looking the me-109 (http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/airfly/me-109.htm), the plane looks so cool but is made for brushed so we need to reinforce all the plane that means a lot of weight, and need to be trimmed to locate the power, what about yours did you trimmed the bottom to install the battery? I think I will buy another red mpjet for this kind of plane,,,,

I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised!! I did have to carve the battery opening. It is made for a nicad or nimh (a flat battery). I set mine up like my Alfa's, using the 1320 or 1350 Lipo's. But with the fuse halves separate, it is easy to mark it up and hollow out the battery compartment. Then you glue the halves together. And as far as weight goes, if you have to, you can open the battery compartment forward into the cowl as well. There is no stick mount in the way like on my E-flite. I think this is going to be very useful in balancing the plane!

As far as motor goes, I am using a 400 XT. The stock GWS motor mount fits the 400XT perfectly, so you have a factory mount of your brushless, using the stock stick mount that comes in the kit (all for $27 bucks!!).

I wish I was home and not trying to catch a plane to Florida, I would put up a build thread now. You'll have to wait until I come back.

Oh yea, as far as reinforcement is concerned, I don't think you need any! Period. I glassed my ailerons and elevator halves, but that is because the felt flimsy. But I don't think I had to do it. Everything else should be good to go!!

EDIT: The only thing that gave me trouble was the torque rod aileron set-up. I love it. It is very clean (all hidden), but with the bent gullwing on the corsair, it was tough to get them done. Second time around, I'm sure I could do it very easily. With the ME109, I don't think you have the problem. The wing should be straight!

arck
09-13-2006, 04:59 PM
I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised!! I did have to carve the battery opening. It is made for a nicad or nimh (a flat battery). I set mine up like my Alfa's, using the 1320 or 1350 Lipo's. But with the fuse halves separate, it is easy to mark it up and hollow out the battery compartment. Then you glue the halves together. And as far as weight goes, if you have to, you can open the battery compartment forward into the cowl as well. There is no stick mount in the way like on my E-flite. I think this is going to be very useful in balancing the plane!

As far as motor goes, I am using a 400 XT. The stock GWS motor mount fits the 400XT perfectly, so you have a factory mount of your brushless, using the stock stick mount that comes in the kit (all for $27 bucks!!).

I wish I was home and not trying to catch a plane to Florida, I would put up a build thread now. You'll have to wait until I come back.

Oh yea, as far as reinforcement is concerned, I don't think you need any! Period. I glassed my ailerons and elevator halves, but that is because the felt flimsy. But I don't think I had to do it. Everything else should be good to go!!

EDIT: The only thing that gave me trouble was the torque rod aileron set-up. I love it. It is very clean (all hidden), but with the bent gullwing on the corsair, it was tough to get them done. Second time around, I'm sure I could do it very easily. With the ME109, I don't think you have the problem. The wing should be straight!
The 400xt motor moves the plane like the mpjet? For that price I think I will give it a try,,,

alienx
09-13-2006, 05:08 PM
The 400xt motor moves the plane like the mpjet? For that price I think I will give it a try,,,
YES!! I make 137 watts with the big blue MP Jet and 8x6SF. I make 130 watts with the 400XT. Keep in mind that I tested them at different times, so the battery used was different too. To me, the are virtually indistinguishable. But the 400XT is small to mount, weighs less, and costs about 1/3 as much. How can you go wrong? The shaft is the same size, so I use the MP Jet prop adapter.

EDIT 9/29: When I was im Florida with my parents, I was showing my dad the watt meter I have. So I ran the 400XT back up to speed. I got 134 Wp at about 11.9 Ap. So I shaved a little more than half of the power difference to the MP Jet off with this run-up. I have to put the two motors at virtually equal in terms of power and handling. Not for nothing but I also get about a comfortable 12 minutes out of the 400XT in my Jug. I had my timer set to 10 minutes when I was running the MP Jet in the P51. I would think the amp draw should show any quicker drain, btu I seem to remember them being about equal. I'll have to check my log to see for sure.

arck
09-13-2006, 05:30 PM
YES!! I make 137 watts with the big blue MP Jet and 8x6SF. I make 130 watts with the 400XT. Keep in mind that I tested them at different times, so the battery used was different too. To me, the are virtually indistinguishable. But the 400XT is small to mount, weighs less, and costs about 1/3 as much. How can you go wrong? The shaft is the same size, so I use the MP Jet prop adapter.
Hey 8x6 or 9x6, I think my 9x6 will stay in the box for a long time,,,,,

casedit
09-13-2006, 05:39 PM
thanks guys. I'm running the blue outrunner also. I'm planning on 3/4 throttle, 10 degrees up, and a nice toss with a slight favor to the right, and oh yeah - into the wind!

We'll see, I think i'm actually more nervous for this plane than I was with my hangar-9 p51 gasser. Probably because it seems so lightweight and sensitive...

We'll see.. oooh rahhh

alienx
09-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Hey 8x6 or 9x6, I think my 9x6 will stay in the box for a long time,,,,,
Yes, 8x6. I'm someday going to test some other 8x6's as well, like the GWS. That is a very light prop. It will be interesting to see if it makes more or less power. I think it will spin easier, but it is also more flxible, which I think would result in less thrust. There is also a an 8.5x6 out there that I want to try. But the APC 8x6SF is more than enough. And it draws less power than the 9x6.

arck
09-13-2006, 06:48 PM
thanks guys. I'm running the blue outrunner also. I'm planning on 3/4 throttle, 10 degrees up, and a nice toss with a slight favor to the right, and oh yeah - into the wind!

We'll see, I think i'm actually more nervous for this plane than I was with my hangar-9 p51 gasser. Probably because it seems so lightweight and sensitive...

We'll see.. oooh rahhh
You will see casedit that the Alfa Planes are awesome and they handle very good in different wind conditions best of all they are good looking and have a great performance with different setups,,,,,,,
Good luck with the maiden,,,,

Yes, 8x6. I'm someday going to test some other 8x6's as well, like the GWS. That is a very light prop. It will be interesting to see if it makes more or less power. I think it will spin easier, but it is also more flxible, which I think would result in less thrust. There is also a an 8.5x6 out there that I want to try. But the APC 8x6SF is more than enough. And it draws less power than the 9x6.
Alright 8x6 will be my best option,,,,

casedit
09-13-2006, 09:10 PM
winds are picking up... looks like 10mph gusts - Crap!

2hrs to flight time

casedit
09-14-2006, 03:06 AM
well no maiden tonight - winds were gusting a bit and the tops of the trees were swaying way too much.

Instead I did the decals... hopefully tomorrow will be calm but there's a chance of rain.

eander6655
09-14-2006, 03:58 PM
I maidened my Alpha p47 Yesterday and on launch it also climbed like a scalded cat. Luckily I was halfway expecting it because of what I read in this thread. After trimming it though she flew like a dream. The performance was great. It flies like a much bigger airplane than it is. After landing I could see a little down trim on the elevator. This is my first electric airplane and definetly not my last. I enjoy flying this plane as much or more than my gas powered airplanes. It was so nice to pull up to the field plug it in and start flying. Now I have to decied what Gas airplane I have NIB that I should sell to fund my next alpha warbird. I am using the mp jet motor and a 9x6sf prop. From what I am reading maybe I should get a 8x6sf and see how it does on that.

Bigfoot21075
09-14-2006, 04:12 PM
OUTSTANDING!!!!! My P47 is my favorite flyer as well. I have been running the 9 x 6 since I got the plane, I get about 12 minutes mixed flying with my Thunder 1320 packs.

My airframe is getting rather old, I need to add a rare earth magnet to keep the hatch in place - other than that is is doing GREAT!

Makes me want to add the Corsair to my collection! I happen to have a spare blue MP jet and Jedi laying around!

eander6655
09-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Im considering getting the corsair also or maybe the wildcat. This time Im going to try the 400xt motor and see how it does. I noticed hobby-lobby raised the price of the alphas 6 dollars. But they have the speed controllers on sale now.

casedit
09-15-2006, 01:08 PM
I AM AN IDIOT

I maidened my p47 yesterday and committed the cardinal sin. I think it was monday night when I reversed my aileron servo since it was behaving backwards, well with other stuff on my mind, I accidentally reversed channel 1, the elelvator - being way too confident I didnt even check the behavior after that.

Yesterday - everything was perfect (so I thought), added a little downtrim on the elevator, launched it - she went about 20ft and i added a little "UP" elevator, which was really down, then over corrected for the plane now nosing down and wound up going straight into the ground!!

Damage: broken prop,bent prop adapter, firewall appears to be slightly bent, couple of hairline fractures in the foam around the cockpit.

I should be able to repair no problem, the toughest will be getting the thrustline back with the bent firewall.

It was soooo stupid I can't believe it - live and learn

arck
09-15-2006, 03:09 PM
I AM AN IDIOT

I maidened my p47 yesterday and committed the cardinal sin. I think it was monday night when I reversed my aileron servo since it was behaving backwards, well with other stuff on my mind, I accidentally reversed channel 1, the elelvator - being way too confident I didnt even check the behavior after that.

Yesterday - everything was perfect (so I thought), added a little downtrim on the elevator, launched it - she went about 20ft and i added a little "UP" elevator, which was really down, then over corrected for the plane now nosing down and wound up going straight into the ground!!

Damage: broken prop,bent prop adapter, firewall appears to be slightly bent, couple of hairline fractures in the foam around the cockpit.

I should be able to repair no problem, the toughest will be getting the thrustline back with the bent firewall.

It was soooo stupid I can't believe it - live and learn
Sorry to here that, I did that ones in my p51 when I forgot to change the memory in my radio, the good thing is that the alfas permit epoxy and is easy to repair, be careful to wipe the excess with alcohol or your fuselage will see like this:
wm

casedit
09-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Looks like my problems are a little more than skin deep after the crash on the maiden.

I've repaired all cosmetic damage and evened out the thrust line of the motor, and I topped off my battery to take her out again.

Well when I was doing a dry run of the motor with the plane on the stand, I noticed the motor only wanted to spin at what felt like 1/8 of throttle when the stick was at full..in other words it wouldn't spin faster than 1/8 throttle... I guess my motor is shot?

Also though, I noticed my battery got a little swolen - I did watch out for an over charge but could the battery itself have been damaged? Or maybe it's the speed controller which I doubt was damaged.

i guess i'll have to start with replacing the motor...not cheap.

alienx
09-18-2006, 02:00 AM
Eander: Co gratulations on the great maiden! We have a nice little squadron forming.

Casedit: I was really disappointed to hear about yours. I have to say that my first E-flite P47 is dead becasue I didn't know how the pre-flight was supposed to be used!! If anyone can help, Arck has rebuilt his P51 several times with success, before it drowned! He has much better advice on that than I do. As far as the motor goes, It may just be your battery. But I'll defer to others on this. I'm sure that is no better than the motor being busted though.

Well, I got one more really good flight on my P47. This one was in Florida. The long and short of it is that my dad didn't get a chance to fly. The post office did their best to destroy my P47 on the way to Florida. If you saw the box, you'd be shocked that the plane wasn't crushed. I still can't figure it out. But a few nicks and dings were all I could see. So we tried to get my RX set-up as a trainer system using his Futaba simulator controller. Turns out all you can do is pass your RX signal through the controller to the PC. It can't be used as a buddy box. So we set up the plane and headed for the field the next morning anyway. I figured I could bum a student radio off someone at the field. I did, but couldn't get my radio to allow the other one to control the plane (gonna have to post for some help on that!). So that was problem 1.

Well, the morning was PERFECT otherwise, so I launched and flew a short battery. The flight was flawless except for a little trim I had to add. It turns out after landing that the post office had done just enough crushing to get the horizontal stabilizer to pop free from its mount. I had no glue, no tape, and no trainer system of radios, so that was the only flying my dad and I did that day.

But the day was not a loss. I got a TON of great experience flying at a legitimate field. It was great to work into the mix and try to fly what turned out to be a very fast plane amongst slow ones! Most of the other people were flying slow sticks and e-starters. But that was great for my dad. I think we now know what plane should be his first.

Oh yea, I forgot to tell you about the field. For whatever reason, my parent's retirement community has a polo grounds. It is like a country club that is immaculately groomed. They flying club uses one of the polo fields as their flying field. It was gorgeous!! It was truly like flying at a country club. It had a manicured hedgerow that people park near and use as a stand for their planes and gear. Then, the flightline is about 10 feet away at the low barrier that lines the polo field. What a cool place. The wind was dead calm all 4 days I was in Florida too. The landing was awesoe with the manicured grass. The little Alfa settled into a sweet 10 foot skid to a gentle stop!

So we got my dad embedded into the group (very nice people!!), and I think he is ready to work with me over the phone to get a plane and build it and take it out to the field with my mom for support. He had been to the field and talked to the people a few times, but to get to help fly my bird and be a part of the flying really helped get him closer to pulling the trigger for himself. So all worked out in a weird way, but probably for the best. My Alfa had me tense with all the planes in the air, so he'll be much better off flying an e-starter or the like. I just wish I could be there for the maiden. Well, I guess I can build a Florida plane and leave it down there for when I can get back.

Here's a couple shots of the layout. My dad and I are the ones with the Alfa.

Andy

Grasshopper
09-18-2006, 02:13 AM
What a GREAT looking field! That would be sweet to fly on every day.

alienx
09-18-2006, 11:23 AM
I forgot, the field is all electric, and you have to be a resident, so the crowds are light. Very nice set-up indeed.

casedit
09-18-2006, 04:03 PM
thanks arck / alien. I'm replacing the battery and have done all repairs. Reenforced the entire firewall and cockpit area with my favorite: masking tape with CA over it - makes like plastic when dry.

I will make my maiden mulligan late this week (waiting for parts)

Alienx - looks like you had a good time down there - nice field / pics - If you could blow up that one flyby i bet it would look real nice

alienx
09-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Casedit: Good luck on the remaiden. You will really enjoy the plane once you get it trimmed in flight!!

Werner, I couldn't help it, I pulled the trigger today on that Ryan P47.

I've never built a wooden plane in my life, so it will likely make me quit the hobby for good. Just think of all the money this plane will save me.:)

Anyway, in spite of Jim Ryan's own advice, I bought the plane anyway. I couldn't get away from it. But I am a stubborn person, so maybe I'll be able to work my way through it!

As soon as my GWS Corsair is done (going into the paint booth tonight!), I may just have to start another build thread. I'm sure I'm going to need a lot of help with this one!! I can't wait to see the kit now!:D

arck
09-20-2006, 04:53 AM
Casedit: Good luck on the remaiden. You will really enjoy the plane once you get it trimmed in flight!!

Werner, I couldn't help it, I pulled the trigger today on that Ryan P47.

I've never built a wooden plane in my life, so it will likely make me quit the hobby for good. Just think of all the money this plane will save me.:)

Anyway, in spite of Jim Ryan's own advice, I bought the plane anyway. I couldn't get away from it. But I am a stubborn person, so maybe I'll be able to work my way through it!

As soon as my GWS Corsair is done (going into the paint booth tonight!), I may just have to start another build thread. I'm sure I'm going to need a lot of help with this one!! I can't wait to see the kit now!:D

Hey Andy you have a nice field there and your Dad seems to be a future Rc flyer, I will do the same with mine, is a great idea,,,,,

arck
09-20-2006, 04:56 AM
thanks arck / alien. I'm replacing the battery and have done all repairs. Reenforced the entire firewall and cockpit area with my favorite: masking tape with CA over it - makes like plastic when dry.

I will make my maiden mulligan late this week (waiting for parts)

Alienx - looks like you had a good time down there - nice field / pics - If you could blow up that one flyby i bet it would look real nice

Good luck with the remaiden, this Alfa have more than seven lives more than a cat so go a head,,,
wm

casedit
09-27-2006, 03:06 AM
Finally glad to report, a successful 're-maiden'. Fixed her up pretty well, and even with a thrust line that looks horizontally to the right, plane flew excellent and barely needed any trimming.

got in 3 flights - no inflight pics, just a few after-shots

alienx
09-27-2006, 03:37 AM
Congratulations!! So is the plane everything we've been saying!?

You did a great job with any repairs you had to do. Can't really tell where. She just looks like a true warbird now.

Oh yea, most people would probably say that that is the right amount of right thrust to have anyway!

Good job.

arck
09-27-2006, 04:36 AM
Finally glad to report, a successful 're-maiden'. Fixed her up pretty well, and even with a thrust line that looks horizontally to the right, plane flew excellent and barely needed any trimming.

got in 3 flights - no inflight pics, just a few after-shots
Congrats for the maiden, your plane looks pretty well, you did a great job repairing it,,,,
Hey Andy I'm due my work in Chile right now here is a store that has the p47, maybe I will come back to my country with a brand new plane HEHE..
wm

Bigfoot21075
09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
WEll Done!!!

This has turned into one of my all time favorite flyers.

alienx
09-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Congrats for the maiden, your plane looks pretty well, you did a great job repairing it,,,,
Hey Andy I'm due my work in Chile right now here is a store that has the p47, maybe I will come back to my country with a brand new plane HEHE..
wm
Hey Werner, what model is it? I am looking for any other choices I can get my hands on. So I think you should get it!!

casedit
09-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys.

Yes the plane was sweet. Fast, responsive, and looks awesome.

Some things I did note though were that it's really quiet, wow - I can barely hear it. Do wish it was a little louder to monitor rpms'. I'm running a 1250 lipo and I think I only got like 8mins or so out of it... should I be discharging? If so, how? my viper charger doesn't have a discharge.

I also found that this plane gets small in a hurry! really have to keep her in a tight area, at least for me.

But overall - love it!!

alienx
09-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Yea, I use 1350's and a 1320 in mine. I set my timer to 11 or 12 minutes depending on my mood. But that's with an 8x6, so if you have a 9x6, you are drawing more amps.

I agree on the sound too. But I think that's great. I fly in the Summer in a small school field surrounded by houses. I could never get away with that if I was making any noise.

It's also the first thing that everyone wants to know if they see it flying. They wait until it lands and ask me how it was flying. "Is that gas powered?" Then they are surprised (and somewhat at ease) when I tell them it's electric.

I haven't done anything about "conditioning" my batteries yet. I just creep up on what I guess is a safe amount of drainage during use, by watching how many mah i put back in during the charge. I guess about 70% capacity usage seems like a good amount. In actuality, I think I could probably get more than 12 minutes on my packs without hitting this number. But I would have to check my battery log to see what I'm putting back in.

I hope a lot to be able to fly this weekend. Last weekend was a wash/wind-out!!

casedit
09-27-2006, 07:19 PM
I was also surprised at how little throttle was needed, i was cruising at under 1/2 throttle the majority of the time... really moves out when needed though.

casedit
09-28-2006, 08:18 PM
whats the strongest gusts you guys will fly these alfa's in? It looks like 10mph today..wondering if this is too much

alienx
09-28-2006, 09:24 PM
whats the strongest gusts you guys will fly these alfa's in? It looks like 10mph today..wondering if this is too much

I hate to fly in wind. But man that seems like all we get. I wouldn't say it's gusty everyday, but I can't remember that last time I walked from the train to work and it wasn't breezy!

I've been flying in up to what I guess is about 15mph. But that makes me very uncomfortable. As a matter of fact, both of my last two trips to the park have been a short flight each.

I would hold out some hope for dusk though!

casedit
10-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Just a little update on my razorback p47... after 6 very successful flights, i've had another crash...

Looks like the battery was jarred loose on landing.. see i have a bad habit of landing, kind of just to practice, before the battery is about 1/2 way thru..then I relaunch for another flight.

I need to stop doing that because the landing jarred the battery loose - not knowing I relaunched and now had a center of gravity like bowling ball on a tray.. she took off - wanted to climb, stalled - dove, I saved it into another climb - dove again hard and into the ground.

Damage: broken prop (of course), and the entire tail section including rudder,elevator made a clean break and broke off

Pretty easy to fix...I epoxied the hell out of the tail section, a good 3 layers worth and now I use to plastic electric ties on the battery. No visible damage really left. How the hell could velcro be expected to hold these in place?

I'll probably fly her tonight.. we'll see how she handles

alienx
10-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Just a little update on my razorback p47... after 6 very successful flights, i've had another crash...

Looks like the battery was jarred loose on landing.. see i have a bad habit of landing, kind of just to practice, before the battery is about 1/2 way thru..then I relaunch for another flight.

I need to stop doing that because the landing jarred the battery loose - not knowing I relaunched and now had a center of gravity like bowling ball on a tray.. she took off - wanted to climb, stalled - dove, I saved it into another climb - dove again hard and into the ground.

Damage: broken prop (of course), and the entire tail section including rudder,elevator made a clean break and broke off

Pretty easy to fix...I epoxied the hell out of the tail section, a good 3 layers worth and now I use to plastic electric ties on the battery. No visible damage really left. How the hell could velcro be expected to hold these in place?

I'll probably fly her tonight.. we'll see how she handles

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear it. But you have pretty good building skills I guess. I still have a pile of P51 on my hallway floor.

Was that just using the velcro on the bottom of the battery? Either way it sucks to crash. Looks like a beautiful day out though. You know, Maybe we can fly together some time. I need a video buddy too. Might work out for both of us.

casedit
10-09-2006, 09:10 PM
I was only using one plastic tie at the time... so it wiggled sideways I guess.

Thats a good idea - it'd be cool to fly a couple of 'em and get some pics/video... lets try and arrange something before the weather gets too cold...

casedit
10-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know if Alfa sells replacement fuselages? Mine's flying ok but definately showing some weird tendencies due to the firewall being bent...

I know the e-flite p47 sells replacement parts..that's a really good bonus about that plane..hmmm

hopefully alfa does the same

alienx
10-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Does anyone know if Alfa sells replacement fuselages? Mine's flying ok but definately showing some weird tendencies due to the firewall being bent...

I know the e-flite p47 sells replacement parts..that's a really good bonus about that plane..hmmm

From what I understand, HL has a "bone yard." The may have your fuse available. But I am sure if really needed, they could get one. I saw someone else on the web selling Alfa's too. Do a google search and maybe that would be a good source too.

arck
10-11-2006, 05:19 PM
From what I understand, HL has a "bone yard." The may have your fuse available. But I am sure if really needed, they could get one. I saw someone else on the web selling Alfa's too. Do a google search and maybe that would be a good source too.
Hi Andy I'm Back from Chile and didn't bought the warbird due they only carried the gws brands, I told the man in the store to open the box What I saw was a fragile plane under my expectations, so I'm still waiting for an Alfa sale, instead I bought a flatana 3d to try indoor and some spare parts,,,,,andddd a buggy,,,,,what madness,,,,,,,,

alienx
10-11-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi Andy I'm Back from Chile and didn't bought the warbird due they only carried the gws brands, I told the man in the store to open the box What I saw was a fragile plane under my expectations, so I'm still waiting for an Alfa sale, instead I bought a flatana 3d to try indoor and some spare parts,,,,,andddd a buggy,,,,,what madness,,,,,,,,

Hey Werner, it's good to see you got a bunch of toys!!!

Did you see this yet today??

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LR9460&P=DS

What a great deal.

Anyway, I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the GWS. I felt the same way when I saw all the "cheap" looking white foam in tha box. But when you put all the pieces together and get some paint on it, it feels like a lot more plane. Certainly up to the task anyway. Someday you should get one anyway. they are cheap!

PS. You're very lucky to have some place to fly indoors. My weather is sooo windy here now.

Good luck with the new stuff!

arck
10-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Hey Werner, it's good to see you got a bunch of toys!!!

Did you see this yet today??

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LR9460&P=DS

What a great deal.

Anyway, I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the GWS. I felt the same way when I saw all the "cheap" looking white foam in tha box. But when you put all the pieces together and get some paint on it, it feels like a lot more plane. Certainly up to the task anyway. Someday you should get one anyway. they are cheap!

PS. You're very lucky to have some place to fly indoors. My weather is sooo windy here now.

Good luck with the new stuff!

He He your are!!!!%^&*$ ,,,I need to look again in my wallet to find some money for that plane, my wife will kill me!!!I make you responsible for that,,,,,I'm Killing,,,hehe
BTW, some of us have spoken with the principal of one school so that he allows us to use the coliseum in the afternoons and Sundays, so we have permissions to fly indoor and try some 3d, I'm newbie but it could be a good experience,,
wm

casedit
10-12-2006, 12:51 PM

Just an FYI... I contacted Hobby Lobby and they can get brand new fuselages, just like they'd come in the kit for 55% of the kit price.

Not a bad deal IMO

alienx
10-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Just an FYI... I contacted Hobby Lobby and they can get brand new fuselages, just like they'd come in the kit for 55% of the kit price.

Not a bad deal IMO

It IS nice to know you're not working without a net!! And the fuse is such a complete unit, that you can just swap out your wing and servos. You already solved all the mounting and balancing problems, right!?

Werner, let me know how the indoor stuff goes. Maybe put up a pic or two so we can see what's going on! And on the planes, think of it this way. If you come home with a GWS and tell your wife it only cost $26 bucks, she will probably hug you!

arck
10-12-2006, 07:15 PM
It IS nice to know you're not working without a net!! And the fuse is such a complete unit, that you can just swap out your wing and servos. You already solved all the mounting and balancing problems, right!?

Werner, let me know how the indoor stuff goes. Maybe put up a pic or two so we can see what's going on! And on the planes, think of it this way. If you come home with a GWS and tell your wife it only cost $26 bucks, she will probably hug you!
Yeah, she probably will not longer believe me since she found my HL magazine (ARGGG) with the prices and saw the price of the alfa P51 with all the staffs, don't worry the plane will cost me a dinner and some weekends, hehe.... this is the wonderful of the hobby no?

alienx
10-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah, she probably will not longer believe me since she found my HL magazine (ARGGG) with the prices and saw the price of the alfa P51 with all the staffs, don't worry the plane will cost me a dinner and some weekends, hehe.... this is the wonderful of the hobby no?

Rule #1: Always burn the evidence!

arck
10-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Rule #1: Always burn the evidence!
Yeah, your are rigth, BTW did you make a video of the GWS?, you have made me think about the plane,,,,,
wm

alienx
10-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah, your are rigth, BTW did you make a video of the GWS?, you have made me think about the plane,,,,,
wm

I did not, but CASEDIT and I are going to try to fly together sometime. Then we can take turns on the camera.

You should absolutely get any GWS. Unless there is something inherently off-putting to you about the look of the models, GET ONE! You will love it. For $26 bucks, you can't afford not to. I'm sure as soon as I get my new housing worked out and finish my first kitbuild, I am going to loop back around to another GWS. I just can't make up my mind which one to get. I want the Zero, the Tiger Moth, The Cargo Trans, and the Spitfire.

alienx
10-18-2006, 03:30 PM
And the P38.

arck
10-18-2006, 05:16 PM
And the P38.

I did not, but CASEDIT and I are going to try to fly together sometime. Then we can take turns on the camera.

You should absolutely get any GWS. Unless there is something inherently off-putting to you about the look of the models, GET ONE! You will love it. For $26 bucks, you can't afford not to. I'm sure as soon as I get my new housing worked out and finish my first kitbuild, I am going to loop back around to another GWS. I just can't make up my mind which one to get. I want the Zero, the Tiger Moth, The Cargo Trans, and the Spitfire.
Buy all hehe, what about the A10, I saw in chile and it could be a good choice, one friend in this forum puts two cheap Blss in it, the plane flys fast and stable,,,,,,my other choice could the me 109 altought is a little shorter than the spit,,,,

alienx
10-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Buy all hehe, what about the A10, I saw in chile and it could be a good choice, one friend in this forum puts two cheap Blss in it, the plane flys fast and stable,,,,,,my other choice could the me 109 altought is a little shorter than the spit,,,,
It's true. I love the A-10, but I haven't wanted to hassle with EDF and a twin just yet. Soon enough though.

I think the ME-109 will be an aggressive flier like the P51 was, but it just looks plain to me in the air. No character. I guess the spitfire is "overdone" to some people (me too a little), but I liek the way it looks when it does a sloooow roooollllllllll. So I guess sooner or later I will have to buy one.

Pick the one you like and build it and then try to tell me you don't like it!!

arck
10-18-2006, 09:07 PM
Check this (http://www.hobby-lobby.com/sale-october.htm), something in mind?
werner

alienx
10-18-2006, 09:17 PM
I got a couple more motors. They haven't put a plane I'm interested in on sale for a long time. I'd like to have the Mig, but it's just not worth $138 to me.

arck
10-20-2006, 08:32 PM
I got a couple more motors. They haven't put a plane I'm interested in on sale for a long time. I'd like to have the Mig, but it's just not worth $138 to me.
YEAH Right, I'm waiting for a less 100 dollars Alfa sale as my ex p51 was, look my new project, I hope the maiden tomorrow,,,,

alienx
10-20-2006, 09:58 PM
EDF ...I'm jealous!!!

Good luck on the maiden!

alienx
10-27-2006, 09:47 PM
What a great day today. I took off from work and headed to the legitimate field that I bought a permit for in the Spring. I got there early (like 8:30) before the glow crowd. It was dead-calm. I put 5 more batteries through the P47 in very still conditions. This plane is great!!

I finally got around to gluing the tail back in place after my return from Florida with it. I guess you can consider that a remaiden. And in spite of my efforts to put some down elevator in at the linkage this time, it still climbed agressively on the first launch. But then it got trimmed out again and flew at least as good as it ever did.

A cop came down the gravel road to the field to use the porta-john. He gave me a nice friendly wave and then stuck around to watch me fly a little. It's nice not to have to feel like public enemy number one just because you enjoy non-mainstream hobbies!

So I put all 5 of my smaller lipo's through it at about 12 minutes each. Then I took out my E-flite P47 and got two more flights. By this time, some glow guys had showed up and we all flew together and talked about all our planes. I could see that one of the glow-only guys was very impessed with the way the Alfa flew. He made all the expected glow comments about the price of a foam plane and whatnot, but he couldn't take his eyes off it. And I flew very well, so I felt like I held my own. There is really something confidence inspiring about being at a legitimate field, with nothing but swamp and trees around you, to ease your fears of crashing into someone's property (or their moving car!!).

What a great day out of work. All-in, I got seven flights and about an hour and a half of airtime, including two re-maidens. Oh yea, I had to remaiden the E-flight too because the last time I flew it I put my Tx on the tailgate of my car afterwards. I think the antenna touched the cable that holds the tailgate on and caused some really heavy glitching. My servos all wound up until they physically couldn't turn any further. And after I got a fresh battery in and turned it back on, everything had found a new "center." Now I try to take the battery out as soon as I land.

Well, that's it. The Alfa is still one of my favorites. If I wasn't trying to relocate, I would probably buy the F4F that's on sale at HL now. After all, I DID get two more 400XT's!!

Andy

arck
11-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi Andy how are you
werner

alienx
11-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi Andy how are you
werner
Hey Werner. All is good but crazy! I'm still looking for a new home. But as as soon as I get settled, I am looking forward to building some more planes. It's also getting cold and windy up here though, so it's hard to fly much. I think I am ready to dig in and do all the building I have been waiting to do. I am also going to set-up one of my wheeled planes with skis so I can fly in the snow. Should be pretty cool!

What have you been up to? Any new planes? How did that EDF maiden work out?

K CLOSE
11-04-2006, 03:29 PM
I am also going to set-up one of my wheeled planes with skis so I can fly in the snow. Should be pretty cool!

Here in the N/E having a ski plane is a must. My GWS Beaver is my beater, with wheels, floats and skis. Poor thing is beat half to death now (while learning floats I crashed and it got attacked by a swan! ) but skis are a hoot. Last winter I got a few days of ice cold dead calm weather. Spent hours full throttle taxing around the local soccer fields like she was a car. Total blast - just dress warm.
Cheers

alienx
11-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Here in the N/E having a ski plane is a must. My GWS Beaver is my beater, with wheels, floats and skis. Poor thing is beat half to death now (while learning floats I crashed and it got attacked by a swan! ) but skis are a hoot. Last winter I got a few days of ice cold dead calm weather. Spent hours full throttle taxing around the local soccer fields like she was a car. Total blast - just dress warm.
Cheers

This is my first Winter. I started in the hobby in February, so by the time I launched my PZ Cub, I think most of the snow was gone.

The thing I think will be cool is that it seems like it will open up some additional areas to fly in ...places others can't go. or that didn't have access before the snow covered it. Should be interesting!!!

arck
11-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Hey Werner. All is good but crazy! I'm still looking for a new home. But as as soon as I get settled, I am looking forward to building some more planes. It's also getting cold and windy up here though, so it's hard to fly much. I think I am ready to dig in and do all the building I have been waiting to do. I am also going to set-up one of my wheeled planes with skis so I can fly in the snow. Should be pretty cool!

What have you been up to? Any new planes? How did that EDF maiden work out?
Hi Andy you should try indoor planes, they are great, mine still in the box waiting for building, I have the same problem like you due I was promote as harbour master 1000km north far a way from my actual home in Paita PORT , so I'm packing all my staff, kids and wife to a new home for two years,,,,,too hot but is good for me,,, for that reason I'm not flying all the weekends,,,,this Saturday will make a video of EDF so you could see the performance,,,,

alienx
11-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi Andy you should try indoor planes, they are great, mine still in the box waiting for building, I have the same problem like you due I was promote as harbour master 1000km north far a way from my actual home in Paita PORT , so I'm packing all my staff, kids and wife to a new home for two years,,,,,too hot but is good for me,,, for that reason I'm not flying all the weekends,,,,this Saturday will make a video of EDF so you could see the performance,,,,

Well, congratualtions on the new job!! I am trying to see this as a good thing. A change long overdue anyway. Maybe your family will like the adventure. So where are you moving to?

I have no place for an indoor flyer (I wish I did!). I really want to be back in Florida. It was great flying down there. But I may try to take my cub or cessna with skis over to my field in the Winter and try to fly them. Who knows, maybe all the planes with wheels that I can't land on grass will be my winter planes with skis!!

arck
11-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Well, congratualtions on the new job!! I am trying to see this as a good thing. A change long overdue anyway. Maybe your family will like the adventure. So where are you moving to?

I have no place for an indoor flyer (I wish I did!). I really want to be back in Florida. It was great flying down there. But I may try to take my cub or cessna with skis over to my field in the Winter and try to fly them. Who knows, maybe all the planes with wheels that I can't land on grass will be my winter planes with skis!!

Oh I made a mistake, i live in this moment in Lima the capital, my next home will be Paita, 1000km aprox from here, 70 km from the Piura department,,,,100km from Ecuador, sun all the year and beautiful warm beaches,,,,,I will sent you pics when I arrive,,,,,I read that your place is full of snow, that would be fantastic for my kids, put the skis to one plane and sent me a pic,,,,
werner

alienx
11-06-2006, 11:58 PM
Oh I made a mistake, i live in this moment in Lima the capital, my next home will be Paita, 1000km aprox from here, 70 km from the Piura department,,,,100km from Ecuador, sun all the year and beautiful warm beaches,,,,,I will sent you pics when I arrive,,,,,I read that your place is full of snow, that would be fantastic for my kids, put the skis to one plane and sent me a pic,,,,
werner
Wow, sun and beaches ...sounds like a great place!

I'll put up some new pics of things when I get settled in someplace. I flew the P47 again yesterday in zero winds. I think it is my favorite plane now (one of them!!). I must be getting better because the plane flies so smoothly now. And it isn't any different than when I built it, so it must be me right!?

arck
11-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Wow, sun and beaches ...sounds like a great place!

I'll put up some new pics of things when I get settled in someplace. I flew the P47 again yesterday in zero winds. I think it is my favorite plane now (one of them!!). I must be getting better because the plane flies so smoothly now. And it isn't any different than when I built it, so it must be me right!?
Great to hear that you fly time was good, one of my friends have one .15 SU-31 (http://www.fly-model.com/cp_detail.php?id=16230&nowmenuid=1243&cpath=0262:&catid=262)new in box, I think this will be a good choise to electrify,,,,,They sell the ARF for 80 dollars,, what do you think,,
werner

alienx
11-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Great to hear that you fly time was good, one of my friends have one .15 SU-31 (http://www.fly-model.com/cp_detail.php?id=16230&nowmenuid=1243&cpath=0262:&catid=262)new in box, I think this will be a good choise to electrify,,,,,They sell the ARF for 80 dollars,, what do you think,,
werner

Looks like a baby 3D plane! I think you should get it. Kind of a gift to celebrate the job promotion!! :D :D :D

Hey, My dad made his maiden flight this morning. He's now a pilot! He finished up his E-starter and got one battery (all he has so far) of flying in with the help of a really good guy at his club field (the polo grounds), using a buddy box. He went with a Spektrum DX6 and figured out how to set everything up on his own.

He called me and could hardly talk. He had that overwhelming joy you get after a great flight or maiden. And in his case, it was his very first flight.

I think he is hooked!

arck
11-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Looks like a baby 3D plane! I think you should get it. Kind of a gift to celebrate the job promotion!! :D :D :D

Hey, My dad made his maiden flight this morning. He's now a pilot! He finished up his E-starter and got one battery (all he has so far) of flying in with the help of a really good guy at his club field (the polo grounds), using a buddy box. He went with a Spektrum DX6 and figured out how to set everything up on his own.

He called me and could hardly talk. He had that overwhelming joy you get after a great flight or maiden. And in his case, it was his very first flight.

I think he is hooked!

I told my buddy to sell the plane, he will bring it this weekend at the field,,,Great!!!!
Glad to hear that your Dad is now an RC PILOT, congrats for your Dad and to you too for your great idea,,,,,
werner

arck
11-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Here is the video (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595044)of my profile EDF,,,,
wm

alienx
11-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Great Video. Did you son take that?

That plane looks like a lot of fun. It flew nicely and seemed very stable. Looks like an easy build too.

Good work!!

arck
11-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Great Video. Did you son take that?

That plane looks like a lot of fun. It flew nicely and seemed very stable. Looks like an easy build too.

Good work!!
Yes thanks, my son took the video,,,I have the plans if you want,
werner

alienx
12-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Well, I haven't killed a plane for a while. I think it was Spring the last time. But my mighty P47 is dead. :( :( :( :(

I'm not really sure why, but I lost power in a low and steeply banked turn setting up for my landing. I tried to power through the stall to get the nose up but it landed virtually like a lawn dart, right on the road into the field. I imagine some people in here could rebuild it, but I think it is over for me. The only really damage due to the low speed was the crushing of the front-end. But it virtually disintegrated.

Anyone want to offer an idea of what happened to lose power like that? It felt like LVC but the battery still had 11.24 volts after I "landed." The battery was not even warm. The air temp was about 36 F. I've had trouble with motor drop-outs for a split second at a time on this plane. I chalked it up to a bad solder joint on the ESC, but because it behaved consistently, I was lazy about getting around to actually doing something about it. This was either a terminal case of motor drop-out or something else entirely. I throttled back up to full when it happened, but the motor must have been off when it hit because it didn't spin the motor leads all up.

The only other thing I can say is that the TX battery alarm was going off. I was still into what I assumed was a safe voltage, because I've watched this thing power itself all the way down before. I wanted to see how long and how fast the voltage fell off, so everytime it goes into alarm mode, I land and then leave the TX on and watch the numbers. When I get to about 4.4 volts it is very fast, but I was still at about 6 volts and maintaining a steady decline. Well, I hope this wasn't another lesson I was too stupid to learn the easier way! :o

This was absolutely a great plane and great set-up the way I had it. I was amazed this morning at how much relative power that little 400XT was making in this 14oz or so airframe. I would build it again this way. I guess I have to watch for the next big HL sale now.

Anyway, here are some pics for posterity.

Thanks for any ideas. Andy

pd1
12-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Andy, sorry about your plane.
It does look repairable, at least from the photographs.

Did everything stop working? Or just the motor?

alienx
12-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Thanks bud.

You know, I can't really say. The plane stalled, so it was tough to tell if the control surfaces where responding but just not accomplishing anything. I didn't test them on the ground afteward. I don't remember the plane doing anything odd as it powered off, you know, like a glitch. Maybe everything did shut down. it nosed almost vertically in, so I guess it's possible none of my input was doing anything. It may have just pointed the heavy end at the ground and went.

EDIT: I am beginning to feel more stupid, like I caused this. I knew my TX battery was good for one more flight when I launched. All last night I was thinking about how long I've had my lipo packs charged and felt uncomfortable with it. I was thinking I was going to have to discharge them if I didn't get to fly them today. So I guess that was weighing on my mind as I was trying to squeeze a full flight on a TX battery that was beeping at me. I guess I should have just landed early and called it a day!

pd1
12-30-2006, 05:39 PM
If you think the P-47 is a write off, repair it anyway. You can always learn something from repairing.
Also if it doesn't look pretty, you can always use it for questionable radio equipment.
Fly a suspect radio in a not liked airplane until it proves itself reliable again.
Good luck,
Paul
ps Did you see the forum on the AK Mustang, $50 all balsa construction. Flies real nice too.

alienx
12-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks Paul. It's a good idea. I am sure I will have to walk around it in my apartment for a while before I do anything.

I did see the AK. I was interested in the Spitfire too but haven't done anything about them. I am involved in a group buy of sorts over on the other forum. I will be getting a green Ultrafly P40 soon. I thought that plane looked nice and scale, so it should be a lesser covered aircraft, and good to own. I also dug my GWS Corsair out of my storage bin today. I want to tweak the wing/aileron set-up. That should keep me busy for a while!

Off to lunch!

Grasshopper
12-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey Andy,

Really sorry about your P-47. Bummer! You should glue it back together and fly it. Once they're kind of damaged goods, you'll fly it harder and push your skills.

I'd like to see your P-40 when you get it. I've been eyeing the Ultraflight P-40 also. It's one of the only "close to scale" looking P-40s I've seen in the size I'm after.

Keep us posted.

Tom

alienx
12-31-2006, 02:20 AM
I think you guys are right. I fished the cowl out of the car (thought I lost it). So I will probably build some type of foam or balsa firewall that will hold the nose in shape. I just have to see if I can piece the firewall into a complete enough unit to trace for a new one.

I'm looking forward to that P40. The more I look at people's posts, the more I want it and like it. I did think it looked pretty nice. And I opted for a painted green/gray one. I originally wanted to paint it myself but the green really grew on me.

I'll put up a thread when I get it. I'm guessing mid January.

Thanks for the condolences!

Grasshopper
12-31-2006, 02:43 AM
Where did you get your P-40?

barmonkey
12-31-2006, 05:43 AM
Grasshopper, looks like you found your P-40. I can't wait until they get here...I have been wanting that plane for a long time.

Alienx, man that's a bummer. Did you have that Eagle tree logger in it when you crashed?

alienx
12-31-2006, 01:13 PM
No, I ordered it Friday.

PS. We're going to have too have a group build thread. Should be cool with everyone attacking it from a different perspective.

Pappy
06-24-2007, 01:55 AM
Hey Fellows could you tell me if the alpha p47 balances right side up or up side down Thanks a bunch in advance. Pappy

alienx
06-24-2007, 02:04 AM
Hey Fellows could you tell me if the alpha p47 balances right side up or up side down Thanks a bunch in advance. Pappy
It has balance marks molded into the bottom of the wing. If I remember correctly, they are about 3/8" long slots in the middle of the molded gear door.

Pappy
06-24-2007, 02:24 AM
So it dose blance from the bottom of wing and not the top

alienx
06-24-2007, 02:25 AM
So it dose blance from the bottom of wing and not the top
Yep! Wouldn't matter though. But the marks are already in the bottom so why try to mark-up the topskin.

Pappy
06-24-2007, 02:42 AM
Thanks Alienx i ame doing the maden in the morning .. Hope it flys as good as it looks..I put a 400 brushless in it ..will let you no if it workes

alienx
06-24-2007, 03:12 AM
Thanks Alienx i ame doing the maden in the morning .. Hope it flys as good as it looks..I put a 400 brushless in it ..will let you no if it workes
Good luck and enjoy it. It's a great bird. Be wary of the elevator on the maiden. My two Alfas went skyward on launch.

Pappy
06-24-2007, 05:08 PM
well the maiden went fine got 5 flights out of it and enjoyed every one..Will have to try the outher kits thay got..The hobby lobby 400 brushless is a litt to much for my buddy but i liked the power it's got..Thanks for the help Pappy

alienx
06-24-2007, 05:46 PM
well the maiden went fine got 5 flights out of it and enjoyed every one..Will have to try the outher kits thay got..The hobby lobby 400 brushless is a litt to much for my buddy but i liked the power it's got..Thanks for the help Pappy
You're welcome. She was one of my favorites, and the only plane that I put in that I didn't actually cause the crash (as far as I can tell!).

Everyone seems to think the Wildcat is a good flyer. I just never liked the plane. The new D9 is another that is calimed to be a great flyer. If you look at the video on the site, it seems to be true.

Have fun with the P-47!!!:)

Bellakelpie
06-26-2007, 10:46 PM
My Alfa P47, built 2003, (and crashed and repaired many times since) powered by the original Graupner Speed 300 brushed motor and MP JET 5: 1 gearbox died last Sunday.

I put it down to the fact that the model was more epoxy than foam and subsequently had become to overweight to fly with that power set up.

At launch it stalled and did a swan dive (with pike?) into the ground.

This was one of the 1st release olive green versions, with split fuselage behind the battery/radio compartment

Now its a toss up between getting "Chow Hound" or the new Spitfire LF VB as a replacement.

alienx
06-27-2007, 12:01 AM
My Alfa P47, built 2003, (and crashed and repaired many times since) powered by the original Graupner Speed 300 brushed motor and MP JET 5: 1 gearbox died last Sunday.

I put it down to the fact that the model was more epoxy than foam and subsequently had become to overweight to fly with that power set up.

At launch it stalled and did a swan dive (with pike?) into the ground.

This was one of the 1st release olive green versions, with split fuselage behind the battery/radio compartment

Now its a toss up between getting "Chow Hound" or the new Spitfire LF VB as a replacement.
If I was going to get another Alfa soon, I would get the razorback this time. The Spitfire is tempting but I have a GWS that is keeping me in fun flights right now. But the Alfa looks like a nice bird in its own right. I don't think you can go wrong.