PDA

View Full Version : A-10 Project begins... She's ready to Fly!

firemanbill
07-07-2006, 03:08 AM
Well my A-10 came in today so I will be starting the build at the beginning of next week. We are going out of town this weekend so I can't get started for a couple of days anyway:( .

This time around I will be putting in two park 400 inrunners in it so no more struggling for power!:D

I plan doing a few things from the start, lessons learned from the first one, may she rest in pieces:eek: , like a foam filled nose cone, rudders, and reinforcements around the nacelles.

Will post pics along the way...

Twmaster
07-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Bill,

This sounds like a perfect time to try out silkspan or very very light glass and WBPU (Water Based Polyurethane) for those reinforcements.

Should be a neat project. I saw an A-10 fly at the local club last summer with 300 motors. Was anemic in flight. But sounded cool! ;)

firemanbill
07-07-2006, 03:27 AM
Already have the silk and the WBPU ready to go Mike. Very good idea!;)

I had it for the first one but never got around to doing it. I used the poly on it and it seemed to harden it up enough on its own. It could have used it though so I plan on doing it right this time.

My first one had the 300's and it was anemic as well on the nimhs but when I hollowed out the battery compartment and put in the 11.1 v lipo wow:eek: she did pretty good. Too bad it crashed since I would have liked to seen how long those motors would have lasted:rolleyes: . As it was I flew it about 3 months with them so they were probably about dead anyway.

Not this time though!

DetroitHawk
07-08-2006, 02:34 AM
Let me know how this build goes, i was looking at the A-10 and it seems pretty awesome. I would like to build one myself.

firemanbill
07-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Well I just got back into town form our weekend jaunt to St. Michaels and Tilghman Island MD over on the Eastern Shore. Had our 20th anniversary getaway and had a blast. Got to do some sailing on the oldes Skipjack in the world, was built in 1886!

Anyway I'm back now so I'll be getting started tomorrow. Looking forward to getting it going!

Bill G
07-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Well my A-10 came in today so I will be starting the build at the beginning of next week. We are going out of town this weekend so I can't get started for a couple of days anyway:( .

This time around I will be putting in two park 400 inrunners in it so no more struggling for power!:D

I plan doing a few things from the start, lessons learned from the first one, may she rest in pieces:eek: , like a foam filled nose cone, rudders, and reinforcements around the nacelles.

Will post pics along the way...

I poked holes in the inner fuse bulkheads and ran CF spars the entire fuse length on both sides, epoxied in place. Keeps it in one piece. I also came up with a shceme to make the steerable nose gear easily removable and use the aileron servo for steering, eliminating the need for an extra servo. The drawing is a bit crude and had to be broken up to make filesize, done when I just started this posting stuff. Using a GWS aileron steering pivot, an arm connects to the aileron servo horn, goes throught the wing. An easily installed/removed pushrod goes from there to the nose wheel. A piece of fuel tube is captured in a piece of aluminum tube which is glued above the nose wheel steering pivot, for nose wire friction fit. Pics always worth a thousand words, though. Works well and is easily accessible.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365381
Worth a look Bill.
Bill

firemanbill
07-11-2006, 03:25 AM
Hey Bill I like the idea but I am going to put rudders on this one and share the servo for them with the nose wheel.

I didn't get much at all done tonight. Had to cut a fellas yard for him while he's out of town so that took up some time. He's the one who climbed the tree to get my Bipe down so didn't mind helping him out at all! I would have anyway but that's beside the point. anyway after that we had a softball game so didn't get in til late but I did sand off all the dimples from the molding marks. I found that Scotch Brite pads work really well for that as opposed to sandpaper as it doesn't mar the surface at all. I get mine at a auto body shop supply store to work on the Beetles bodies and such...

I cut some foam to put in the nose. One thing I learned about the first one is that there is no meat in the nose at all. They should take lessons from the beaver in that area. I have placed them in temporarily until I'm ready to get it together and will cut in a channel for airflow to the battery area. This addition add 2 grams to the fuse halves so the weight gain is negligible but the benefit to keep from teraring up the nose is a good idea.

Crash Test Dummy
07-11-2006, 05:45 AM
FiremanBill,

I see your back at the A-10, bravo!! Maybe you can inspire me to start on my new slope kit that has been staring at me for the last 5 months. I got a bunch of mods I want to do. Dual aileron servos to start. Then I'd like to mount a servo in the side of the fuse and go with a direct control rod to the elevator. No more thin wimpy elevator wire!!

If you recall my set up is with a single outrunner pushing her around the sky. I need my battery as far forward as possible to compensate for the outrunner hanging off the tail, so I can't fill the nose with foam.

I have found a product that is very strong. After I glass my A-10 with .75 FG cloth and min wax, I'll paint it. After the paint is dry and cured, I'll apply a coat of Envirotex. I got this stuff at Michales Craft store. It is the same stuff that they put on wood bar tops or wood tables. In that application, they pour it on the table and let it run over the edges. When it is cured it is about 1/8 of an inch thick. I'll bet you could shoot a BB gun at this finish on a GWS A-10 and it would bounce off!! Try that with a glass only A-10, LOL.

In our application it would be brushed on in a thin layer to save weight. I did a test patch on an old Stryker Fuse and it takes more than 24 hours to fully cure!! However when it was dry it made a rock hard surface and it drys crystal clear with a high gloss finish. Epoxy and finishing resins all dry with a yellow cast, yuck! I figure putting the Envirotex over the paint Will also protect my nice paint job, that is if I do a nice paint job in the 1st place, LOL!

Rudders also sound like a good idea. Anyway, good luck with yours.

CTD

Bill G
07-11-2006, 06:10 AM
Hey Bill I like the idea but I am going to put rudders on this one and share the servo for them with the nose wheel.
I cut some foam to put in the nose. One thing I learned about the first one is that there is no meat in the nose at all.

That would be a bit tough to hook the rudders up too, with my setup. I'll figure out a way:eek: . The obvious would be another external removable pushrod, which would stink.

I have a can of expandable foam laying around. I glassed the nise inside on mine, but I'm sure it will still explode, if it. I think I'll try your idea with the foam. Just have to not shoot in too much, or I'll be hogging out the batt hatch again. My cocpit floor is the sticker, and its pushed up a bit. Did this to get a 3s-1320 up far enough to balance, and still needed 3g in the nose. I had to go on an upward angle hogging it out, since the darn steering pivot, with my tubing and retaining cap take up the lower space.

firemanbill
07-11-2006, 12:29 PM
I did that with the foam fill on the last one Bill after I had the nose disentigrate when it hit a little hard on landing once.

I like that idea and was going to do it again but my foam had dried up and I didn't have another can. I was going to go get one and thought hey I got all this foam laying around I might as well use it. Save me a trip...

the pushrod for the rudders is the only drawback looks wise but it sure does make it easier to fly. besides you can't see it in the air anyway!:D

firemanbill
07-13-2006, 01:38 AM
Ok A bit more tonight. I got the nose wheel setup done and was able to set it up where the control rod does not come out the bottom of the plane. The wheel and strut are from a E-flite Cessna that may have finally made it's last flight. (more on that later:o ) The control horn comes out right under the cockpit floor and I am using a dubro micro connector to hold in place there as well as on the servo. I heated a control rod and pushed it through the fuse as you can see in the photos. The control rod is long enough to come out the back of the plane which will be the rudder hook up as well. I also got the battery compartment widened enough to hold my Common Sense 3s 1650 Mah Battery. Awesome batteries too by the way. I have to piuck up a collar tomorrow to hold the bottom of the gear in place and then the fuse can be glued together.

Got the wing started as well but it is basicall by the book so not much need to post on it.

firemanbill
07-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Well I may be on hold for a day or two. I decided to go with balsa ailerons and elevator for added stiffnes. Especially in the ailerons...

Any way I had the all cut out and I was predrilling the holes for the control rods to go in and somehow i managed to stab my left index finger with a pushrod:eek:

It went in under my fingernail and came out below knuckle of the first joint.

DANG THAT HURT!!!!!

I pulled it back out and have managed to stop the bleeding and get it wrapped up.

On the bright side I got all the motor wiring done and test ran them for a minute to see how it does. This thing is going to be one heck of a strong flier. I was going to put the watt meter on it later and get some readings but I think I'll wait til I quit crying to do that... lol

Crash Test Dummy
07-14-2006, 02:44 AM
OUCH!! That hurt just reading it!!:eek: I hope it's now as bad as it sounds!! Just the other day I did a stupid thing. I was drilling a control horn out, it had a CR attached to it with a steel clevis. Well the drill bit twisted the whole thing in my hand and the clevis put a nice gash in my thumb!! DOH!!!! I hope you heal fast. I can't wait to see a video of your A-10. I actually pulled mine out Sunday night and sanded the nubbs off the wing. Not much progress but progress none the less.:D

CTD

firemanbill
07-14-2006, 02:50 AM
oh it hurts alright!:eek: It is still kind of numb now. It will hurt like H#@&^ tomorrow...

I'll be back at it though. I went ahead and finished getting the ele ad ail ready to mout to the wing. I am going to cover the wing and tail for extra strength before I do that htough.

I am doing some test on some new material that Grasshopper sent me to se how it works out. So far it looks promising and seems to be much easier to work with than silk. I'll let you know tomorrow when the sample peices dry.

Depending on how black and blue my finger is I'll get busy this weekend! It's supposed to rain here saturday so I may be stuck inside but at least I'll be busy.

Don Sims
07-14-2006, 03:09 AM
Ouch Bill! Hope your tetanus shots are up to date!

Bill G
07-14-2006, 05:01 AM
Well I may be on hold for a day or two. I decided to go with balsa ailerons and elevator for added stiffnes. Especially in the ailerons...

Any way I had the all cut out and I was predrilling the holes for the control rods to go in and somehow i managed to stab my left index finger with a pushrod:eek:

It went in under my fingernail and came out below knuckle of the first joint.

DANG THAT HURT!!!!!

I pulled it back out and have managed to stop the bleeding and get it wrapped up.

On the bright side I got all the motor wiring done and test ran them for a minute to see how it does. This thing is going to be one heck of a strong flier. I was going to put the watt meter on it later and get some readings but I think I'll wait til I quit crying to do that... lol

Once I picked up a bunch of .015" music wire, and a bunch of other things. I felt the wire go in, but couldn't immediately see where, and which way. Basically had to just "freeze" after making it a bit worse, drop everything, and figure it out. Not a fun time. Damn lucky no infection. Basically no effects, as the 15 thou wire is pretty much the same thing as a hyperdermic needle.
I then remembered a lecture about this possiblity in an engineering class lab. I knw why the instruction was so adamant about it now.

ForestCam
07-14-2006, 05:13 AM
Sounds like you need a

http://home.comcast.net/~forestcam/NT-06.jpg

Bill G
07-14-2006, 05:16 AM
Sounds like you need a

http://home.comcast.net/~forestcam/NT-06.jpg

Problem was it went in my hand.

firemanbill
07-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Well I'm back at it. My a/c went out and it's just been to danged hot to do anything. We have all been hanging out in the living room by the one window unit I have! It's been cooler today so I got braved the garage and got busy.

I got the main wing and tail covered today. will get it all trimmed up tomorrow after everything is good and dry.

I have been trying out some material Grasshopper sent me. It is a kind of spun material as opposed to woven like silk. It is really light and tough as nails! It goes on easy and blends in well to the molded surfaces. laid it on with a layer of wbpu then put it down and put another layer on top.

I played with a few scrap pieces first and I'll tell you this. I had to really work toe tear a piece of foam one it was dry and the weight difference is negligible. I am looking forward to seeing how it all turns out tomorrow.

firemanbill
08-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Ok I finally got my A/C fixed so I can go back into my garage and get back to work now!:D

I got the ailerons on it tonight. Decided to put balsa on it for strength. One lesson learned on he first one was that the foam tended to flex quite a bit and the wire that goes into it developed a lot of slop very quickly. This setup seems to be rock solid. I did it like this on my C-130 as well and it is as strong now as it was the day it went together.

The fuse is together as well and the motors are in the nacelles, tomorrow i will mount them to the fuse and get the tail on

jamesdr
08-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Hi Bill

I finished a GSW A-10 a few weeks ago. I love it and think you will enjoy it also. Two structural mods on mine -
1) Typical GWS is real fragile at the wing saddle. They have you glue a bamboo rod on the ventral side on the fuse. I opted to run a CF rod (AKA arrow shaft) from the battery box to the end of the fuse. The fuse is now very stiff. There is just enough room for the aileron servo (I also did dual but no nose servo).
2) After cracking the elevator on landing due to the bottom of the rudders hanging down, I retrofitted by sliding a thin CF rod the length of the elevator. Again, made the part much stiffer and added virtually no weight.
Good luck - will be following your build and maiden.

Jim

firemanbill
08-12-2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks Jim, good tips! How did you power yours? My first one was stock but am doing the brushless route this time.

jamesdr
08-12-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm being daring and running the stock motors on 3s. I did a water break in and try to keep it off WOT for the first few minutes of flight. The 300H motors are rated 3200KV and unless you go with a higher KV BL motor, power will be a wash and you have to drag around a second ESC. If/when they burn up, I'll have to think what to replace them with. The only thing I would do different now is to place the esc in the battery compartment since the battery is actually in a hogged out area forward the battery box.
Jim

firemanbill
08-12-2006, 06:57 PM
I did that with my first one, stock 300's on a 3s. It flew pretty good that way... for a while anyway. I am putting park 400 inrunners on it this time.

jamesdr
08-12-2006, 08:27 PM
The eflite Park 400's are a good fit it the DF hubs?

Jim

firemanbill
08-13-2006, 02:52 AM
yeah they fit pretty good. Thers is a small gap around the motor but I put some shims in just for the heck of it. they fit real tight when screwed in using the supplied mounting ring.

firemanbill
08-13-2006, 03:33 AM
well got some more done today. I now have the tail pretty much done. Will have the control linkages for the rudders set up tomorrow

Grasshopper
08-13-2006, 03:58 AM
Looking good Bill! Can't wait to see it completed.

firemanbill
08-13-2006, 04:03 AM
Thanks Tom, Have you noticed any of the material in the pics?;)

Grasshopper
08-13-2006, 04:35 AM
I have. I was curious how it was working for you.

firemanbill
08-13-2006, 04:38 AM
it is working well. It seemed a bit bulky on the wingtips and the bottoms of the vertical stabs. Probably just not used to laying it just yet. I shaved them down and will recover those sections before paint. A couple of places seemed to have worked themselves loose but resecure pretty easily. The real test will be laying it to make a secure bond between the nacelles and the fuse.

so far so good though.

Grasshopper
08-13-2006, 04:41 AM
I never did get it to get very hard on the magpie. I put 2 coats of Olympic WBPU on it. It's really tough but still somewhat spongey.

firemanbill
08-13-2006, 04:54 AM
I think it will always be a bit spongy but it still ads a lot of strength to it. You still want it to be able to flex a bit. if it is hard as a rock it is more apt to snap if a huge loads get put on it.

Grasshopper
08-13-2006, 05:08 AM
I think it will always be a bit spongy but it still ads a lot of strength to it. You still want it to be able to flex a bit. if it is hard as a rock it is more apt to snap if a huge loads get put on it.

Good point. You mean a huge load like good old mother earth?

firemanbill
08-13-2006, 05:11 AM
;) well you could say that... LOL

aircruiser
08-16-2006, 10:46 PM
OMG BILL!

Man I would love to build and fly one of those!!!

A10s are my favorite military jets of all time!!!

I have loved 'em since I was 5!

Thanks for a link to that site!!!!

When I get better at flying and building, I'll be sure to buy something from there!!!

Good luck with the project!!!!

I can't wait to see her finished!! :)

Or is it a he? ;)

-Grant

firemanbill
08-17-2006, 12:04 AM
Thanks Grant.:D The A-10 has always been one of my favorites as well. If you ever get to see one in action and actually see that big 'ol 30mm cannon firing you'll appreciate it even more!:eek: Unless you happen to be the unlucky yahoo on the receiving end of it's fire power!

Haven't got much done this week, have been a bit under the weather but am getting back up to speed and will have her finished soon!

And yeah it's a she!;) cause as much as I've sanded and caressed it it sure ain't no guy:eek:

alienx
08-17-2006, 02:36 AM
I like this bird too so I've been watching your thread! Looking forward to seeing it done. EDF and a twin are two things I haven't wanted to tackle yet.

I like this plane because I saw one fly at a local airshow when i lived in NH after college. It was the coolest thing I think I have seen in the air. The pilot was doing these really really slow runway passes and then pitching the plane into crazy turns. Kind of square turns if you can imagine it. It seemed like the plane could fly in any direction without having to speed up. That's the way I remember it anyway!

Keep the pics coming!

Crash Test Dummy
08-17-2006, 02:50 AM
I got my A-10 flying, heres 2 links to some videos of it. I'm running a E-Flight 480-1020 KV outrunner in the tailcone. Then I put running lights on it and flew her at dusk. That was my 1st mistake. She went in hard and compressed the foam in the wing saddle. I dont think I'll be able to get it put back together and still get the wing in there rite.

I have my orignal A-10 fuse with the 2 speed 400 pusher motors, so I think I will cut the front of the fuse of the old one and mate it with the new wercked one. Frankin A-10 will fly again!!

I would love to have rudders on mine although I don't know if it would work with the pusher set up. I'll have to look at how Bill sets his up.
BTW, looks good Bill!! Lets see those rudders!

http://media.putfile.com/slow-pass--climb-out
http://media.putfile.com/A-10-480-outrunner

CTD

firemanbill
08-17-2006, 02:55 AM
Thanks X and hopefully she will be done this weekend.

My A-10 story goes way back to my early days in the AF and being stationed at Eglin which was and still is a test base for munitions. We would go out on the ranges in our fire trucks and stand by until the missions were over and then go in and clean up there mess so to speak... wow were they ever something to watch.

My favorite story of the Mighty Warthog comes from my participation in Desert Storm. I was assigned to a little airbase in the north western region of Saudi Arabia. A week or so after the fighting started we got alerted to a A-10 coming in with flight control problems. We thought it odd since we were a Fighter base with F-15 Eagles, (another cool plane) and a regiment of British Tornado's, (another very very cool plane) ...

anyway, when this dude pops into view we see him trailing smoke and having a generally difficult time of keeping her flying straight. He touches down in the center of the runway but doesn't stay there long since all of the tires were flat, that was the least of his worries though as he had been shot up by aaa fire over Iraq, he popped over a hill into a barrage of guns that weren't supposed to be there and they opened up on him. He one engine out, one gear wouldn't come all the way down both ailerons were all but gone as was one rudder and elevator. Numerous other rounds punctured every fluid line the plane had and just about brought him down.

So we get him squared away and out of the plane and start chatting with him next to his smoking aircraft and he is like Maverick out of top gun hooping and hollering like Hot Da#& you should have seen their eyes when I circled around and let 'em have it!:eek: as shot up as he was he went back and exacted his revenge with a shot up airplane... The wildest sight was the bullet entry hole in the lower left side of the canopy and the exit hole in the upper right!. the round couldn't have missed him by more the 2 feet! All total there were over 300 holes in the bird.

anyway... the crew for the bird flew in and began the repair process. the fixed the internals, put tape over the holes on the externals and the same guy flew that bird out of there and back to his base.

Now that's a BAD A## in my book!

alienx
08-17-2006, 03:02 AM
That is a cool story. I may need to get one now!

Crash Test Dummy
08-17-2006, 03:05 AM
Great story Bill. I liked that he turned around and waxed their asses!!! Good for him and thank God he made it back. I have seen pictures of A-10's that were shot up real bad and still made it home to base. I have loved the A-10 ever since I 1st layed eyes on one.

CTD

aircruiser
08-17-2006, 05:29 AM
I got my A-10 flying, heres 2 links to some videos of it. I'm running a E-Flight 480-1020 KV outrunner in the tailcone. Then I put running lights on it and flew her at dusk. That was my 1st mistake. She went in hard and compressed the foam in the wing saddle. I dont think I'll be able to get it put back together and still get the wing in there rite.

I have my orignal A-10 fuse with the 2 speed 400 pusher motors, so I think I will cut the front of the fuse of the old one and mate it with the new wercked one. Frankin A-10 will fly again!!

I would love to have rudders on mine although I don't know if it would work with the pusher set up. I'll have to look at how Bill sets his up.
BTW, looks good Bill!! Lets see those rudders!

http://media.putfile.com/slow-pass--climb-out
http://media.putfile.com/A-10-480-outrunner

CTD

That's it, I'm gettng one when I get the funds. :D

Keep us posted Bill! This is extremely interesting!

firemanbill
08-18-2006, 03:48 AM
Got the rudders done tonight. Still need to get them line up but here is some pics of the setup. I have one long control rod going from the nose wheel to the rudder horn with a micro connector at the servo to hold it there. The conrol rods are high enough to allow full elevator movement. It is no the best look right now but once it gets paint it is hard to tell it's there.

here is a video of it in action...

http://media.putfile.com/GWS-A-10-Rudder-setup

Hopefully will have her read to maiden this weekend. That may be pushing it though so may have to wait til next weekend. we'll see

firemanbill
08-18-2006, 03:55 AM
well it kicked me out before I could put the pics in, something about the database being too busy... so here they are.

jamesdr
08-18-2006, 05:01 AM
Wow - that's a lot of work, hope it is going to be worth the effort.

Jim

Crash Test Dummy
08-18-2006, 06:00 AM
Bill,

Thanks for the post!! I have always said this plane needed a rudder. I hope it works, did you have one on your other GWS A-10?

Looks great. I was worried about that CR getting in the way of the elevator but in the video it looked like it will work out fine. I think my A-10 needs a rudder too!! I'll have to see if it can work with my pusher set up, I hope it does.

CTD

SkunkWorks
08-18-2006, 06:16 AM
Awesome, I really like how you added the rudder. Cant wait to see it in the air.

firemanbill
08-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the comments fellas. Yes CTD I had them on the first one. I have refined this one a bit in the nose wheel area, got rid of the cheesy thin gear wire supplied by gws. plus put a dubro control horn on it on the top side so it doesn't show beneath the plane. The main advantage of that is the front to rear control rod has a straight shot now. no bends!

It really isn't that much work and it was well worth it on the first one. much easier to control on takeoff and landing.

Can't wait to get off work today as the motors will be going on tonight! After that she is pretty much done except for the paint.

Crash Test Dummy
08-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Great Bill,

I can't wait for a flight report. Will you be able to do a video? I looked at my A-10 last night and I think I might be able to mod mine too!!

CTD

firemanbill
08-18-2006, 06:01 PM
Yes I plan on doing the video. I am really looking forward to getting in the air with it!

aircruiser
08-20-2006, 07:20 AM
Dang man, you pretty much got every plane I'd like to have!

A10, C130.. what's next, a P-38? :D

firemanbill
08-20-2006, 11:15 AM
As a matter of fact.... Yup!:D

aircruiser
08-21-2006, 01:02 AM
:eek:

I'm Speechless

Is there an F16 anywhere in there?

Keep it coming!

I love the write up!

Thanks for the updates too!

-Grant

firemanbill
08-21-2006, 02:38 AM
Will do...:D I didn't get as much done as I wanted to this weekend but I did get the motors in and the nacelles on and the wing is done so all that's left is final wiring and setting up the cog and balance and paint. Well that and of course the gun for the nose!:D :D Wouldn't be an A-10 without a gun. She will definately be ready next weekend.

Crash Test Dummy
08-21-2006, 02:44 AM
Bill,

I did a gun for mine just for fun, however I'm running mine as a belly flopper so the gun couldn't be mounted except for pix. Did you see the picture I posted?

CTD

firemanbill
08-21-2006, 03:12 AM
Yeah I just looked at it again...:eek: That thing is huge! looks good. Mine is a bit more scale size so even if I do go gearless it should still be ok.

I want to try to get it mounted tomorrow but it will look a lot like tail number 001 like in this photo

Crash Test Dummy
08-21-2006, 03:18 AM
Yea It wasn't excatly scale. I was looking at some cocktail straws and some light ply and just tossed them together. How and what are you making yours out of? If i could make a gun that would work with the belly floper that would be cool.

CTD

aircruiser
08-21-2006, 03:19 AM
The only smiley I could find for your plane is this.

http://broncozone.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/wub.gif (javascript:emoticon(':wub:', 'smid_37'))

lol

firemanbill
08-21-2006, 03:26 AM
ctd I have no idea:o My boy got the gun of of one of his old toy action figures and we hacked it up enough to make it fit! It is 12mm across and 34 mm long. I carved out just enough of the bottom of the nose to set it in there and then covered it with lightweight spackle to smooth it over.

firemanbill
08-27-2006, 03:49 AM
Well fellas I got her done tonight. Have been ill this week so have not been able to do a whole lot until today.

All that's left is paint now. If the weather is good tomorrow I am going to taker her up after church.

Did a couple of run ups and the thrust this thing has is incredible! I am really looking forward to getting it airborn! I am drawing right at 20 amps total on a CS 3s 1650.

Here are the pics of the gun mounted in front. Had to get that finishing touch on it!:D

Crash Test Dummy
08-27-2006, 05:31 AM
Looks great Bill. I'm going to have to look at the local toy store for an A-10 with a small gun for my next A-10. I'd like to do one with gear.

CTD

aircruiser
08-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Wow Bill!

Sweet Plane!

Man I'm jealous!

jipp
08-27-2006, 09:29 PM
great looking plane. the hog is a great plane. also enjoy your story, iv read many like it.

chris.

Warden
08-27-2006, 10:24 PM
I watched a show on the military channel several nights ago that featured the A10. Did you know that:

1. The airplane was actually designed around the gun; they started with the gun and then built the airplane around it!

2. The recoil of the gun equals the thrust of the engines!

3. The gun is slightly offset so the firing barrel is exactly in the center of the fuselage so the directional stability of the plane is not affected by the recoil.

4. The pilot is sitting in a "tub" of titanium that is 1.5 inches thick to protect him from ground fire.

Quite an airplane and it was a very interesting show.

Nice job on the model there, Bill!

firemanbill
08-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I have not had a chence to get it out today. Too many family things going on to get the time to get out.

Hopefully tomorrow. I have the cg all set, those brushless motors seem heavier thatn the stock ones.. had to add a bit of weight int he nose even with the 3s 2200 lipo in the nose

I had the opportunity at Eglin AFB to watch them test fire the gun while the plane was chained down to the ground. they shot into a big bunker full of sand. MAN THAT THING IS LOUD!:eek: it sure did put a strain on those chains too.

jamesdr
08-31-2006, 06:51 AM
And???????? How was the maiden?

firemanbill
08-31-2006, 10:18 AM
I'll let you know as soon as I get a chance to do it!

Got swamped under honey do's last weekend and now it's raining, and raining hard. A little thing called Ernesto... It is supposed to be cleared up by this weekend so I am very hopeful for Saturday.

Grasshopper
08-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Good luck Bill! I'm sure it will fly great.

Tom

firemanbill
09-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Well we managed to get out for a while this morning before getting back to cleaning up storm debris. (We really needed a break!)

Had a good maiden but the landing was a bit hard. So shell need some repairs before we go back out. The problem came in when I had to change batteries... The one I had in it to set up the cg did not want to run the motors right at the field so I put in a different one which was a bit lighter. I did not think about rechecking the cg. That turned out to be a real big mistake as apparantly it was off by quite a bit.

Boy she really screamed on takeoff though and climbed out almost vertical with no problem. Once I leveled off she really dropped the tail and did not want to fly level no matter how much I tried. I was bringin it around to set her down and it tip stalled on me and nosed over and went in pretty hard. It won't take too long to repair though and she'll be good as new.

I will certainly do a better preflight next time.

jamesdr
09-15-2006, 12:26 AM
I think I have five or six flights on my Hog. It is a stock setup with 3cells for motivation. You have to fly it, not enough reserve power to just pull up incase of a problem. Bill, have you repaired her yet?

Jim

firemanbill
09-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Yes Jim I have.

I did get sidetracked a bit... I picked up a used Yak55 3d and have kind of got caught up in playing with it...

I did refocus last night and finished her up sans the paint. I decided to go without gear... sort of. If you look at the real thing with the gear retracted the main wheels are not fully up in the wing so I had a thought... I don't like the look of the gear hanging down in flight so I put the wheels in the up position but they still roll. I have toughened up the bottom of the nose with epoxy and put a skid on the tail. I'll still hand launch it but it should land pretty good this way... we'll see... Hopefully the weather will cooperate for Saturday to give it a try.

firemanbill
09-15-2006, 01:05 AM
I'm going to quote Old Fart here with this

"And remember, when you ask a prop to increase airspeed, it says "Yes sir!" When you ask an EDF to increase airspeed, it says "I'll get around to it""

That is the best thing I have ever heard concerning EDF and airspeed!

jamesdr
09-15-2006, 10:27 PM
I like the quote - and is is very true for EDFs. That is the thoughest part in flying them - energy management now plays a big part.

Nice work with the wheels - I seriously thought of putting them on mine but I opted to install some CF plate skids instead.

Jim

firemanbill
09-15-2006, 10:45 PM
I like the quote - and is is very true for EDFs. That is the thoughest part in flying them - energy management now plays a big part.

Nice work with the wheels - I seriously thought of putting them on mine but I opted to install some CF plate skids instead.

Jim

Yeah I've been kind of on the fence on which way to go. My first one had gear and stock 300 power and it did ok... I wanted gear but I also wanted the look of gear up. So this seems to work pretty good. we'll see... winds are pretty gusty today so hopefully in the morning I can get it out.

mr.sneezy
10-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Hi guys,

Nice thread, love all your work.

I have an A-10 (with EDF-55 V2's) still in it's box. I have some cheap brushless gear to power it with so I'm expecting reasonable thrust. One of the reasons I bought the A-10 was to get some experience with twin power plants, so I had the thought of using the mixing on my radio to vary the thrust of either motor proportionally using the regular rudder stick. Given that my setup will possibly need to be pegged back to less than 100% throttle for regular flight, I may be able vary thrust between the EDF's and still retain the same average thrust. A bit of fiddling, but may work.
The result hopefully maybe smooth co-ordinated turns, especially wingovers or stall turns.
If it does work I'll let you know, but that won't be till the new year at my building rate.

I like the retracted wheels idea. Will be using that on mine maybe with a similar nose wheel or maybe a drop off cradle (for ROG).

Martin

Joseespy78
10-13-2006, 09:23 AM
What thickness balsa did you use for the ailerons, you think it would work for the elevators too. How did it end up flying, do you got a video of it?

firemanbill
10-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Hey Martin thanks! Intersting ideas you have there. let me know how it works for you.

Joseespy78 I used balsa on the elevators as well and it does work well. It gives it a lot of extra strength over the foam ailrons and elevator. On my first one the control rods would work themselves loose inside the foam so that is why I went that route.

I took the foam pieces with me to the lhs and picked out a aileron size that matched up, I can't tell you what size since I really don't know, just kind of eyeballed it and picked 'em out. That made it easier since they were already pre tapered.

And it is flying great by the way now. Once I worked out the cg issue it is flying awesome! I don't have any video as of yet but may try to get some this weekend if the weather permitting.

dmmalish
01-11-2007, 12:53 PM
hey bill lets see some video :( PLEASEEEEE!!!!!!

firemanbill
01-11-2007, 03:43 PM
oh ok... lol To be honest I forgot about doing video. I'll get some this weekend. Weather is supposed to be nice.:D

mr.sneezy
01-11-2007, 10:23 PM
oh ok... lol To be honest I forgot about doing video. I'll get some this weekend. Weather is supposed to be nice.:D

Hi Bill, I could be speaking to the converted here, but when you use your video camera 'please' set it to infinite focus so it doesn't hunt.
If possible can you get footage of a launch or ROG and a landing too. I think I learn a lot from watching how it does both, more so than fast flybys. Perhaps also get a close in shot of a very slow spool up so we can hear the EDF's wail too :) .

My A-10 project is still safely boxed up :mad:
I ran out of building time over Xmas because I have a Gulp SR-T 60" slope racer on the work bench still.

Martin

firemanbill
01-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Will do Martin but only if you promise to get yours out and build it!:D

mr.sneezy
01-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Will do Martin but only if you promise to get yours out and build it!:D

Yes, I promise. Even though the new GWS P-38 kits are looking so nice in the store window.....

Here's a shot of the current model production line holding up the start of the A-10

firemanbill
01-13-2007, 03:07 PM
well here is why I haven't been real active with mine either... not GWS but an FSK model...

CHELLIE
01-14-2007, 07:25 AM
Hi Bill, Nice P 38 , did you get that from Hobby World ? I was looking at a P 38 there, Just Looking though :rolleyes: :p ;)
Still Waiting to see Video of your A-10

Take care, Chellie

firemanbill
01-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Chellie that is the flying styro kit (FSK) from Hobby-lobby.

Too windy yesterday, I am hoping it stays nice til after church today, no wind right now...

Mr. Baggins
01-14-2007, 03:41 PM
You going to the field with that bird today Bill?

firemanbill
01-14-2007, 05:26 PM
Just got in form Church Bill, and yeah I'm planning too here shortly...:D

PerlAddict
01-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Make sure to take that video camera with you! :D

Mr. Baggins
01-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Was at the field with Bill earlier and he should have got some pretty good video from the air. Saw some of it. He's a madman with the airliner. :D

firemanbill
01-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Yes I did Bill! and Thanks!:D That airliner sure is fun to fly!:D

I think I toasted one of Wades Lipos though...:o

Should have it up here pretty soon...

Mr. Baggins
01-15-2007, 02:15 AM
I ran up that big electric of Al's tonight. Got about 1/3 throttle and chickened out. Had to come inside and let my nerves calm. This thing is gonna be a beast. Running 5S2P 4200 20C and a 14x6 wood prop. Looking forward to your video.

firemanbill
01-15-2007, 02:19 AM
Holy Smokes!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: What a beast!

Just got the first one done...

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=9f6a3e0b23b80a5b2e4c

Mr. Baggins
01-15-2007, 03:04 AM
I love that smack and go on take off and the fact that you left in.

Here's vid of the motor at less than 1/2 throttle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNEFDLRxUs

firemanbill
01-15-2007, 03:48 AM
hey I don't have anything to hide!:D I never admitted to being a good pilot!

That thing can really pump out the power. Have you put it on a wattmeter yet?

Here's the second vid.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=08640a4a6da2389772a7

CHELLIE
01-15-2007, 04:10 AM
Cool videos Bill, and with music too :) I think you need a wider runway :)
just kidding, take care and have fun, Chellie

firemanbill
01-15-2007, 04:21 AM
No you are right on... I do need a wider runway!:eek: That 130 is real squirelly for some reason here lately. I gotta look at my gear and see why she's doing that.

Mr. Baggins
01-15-2007, 04:41 AM
Have not checked amps yet. Too scared to stand that close yet. I never made it to half throttle on it and the video in no way conveys the power like standing in the same room with it.

dmmalish
01-15-2007, 11:00 AM
I love that smack and go on take off and the fact that you left in.

Here's vid of the motor at less than 1/2 throttle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNEFDLRxUs

what motor is that? and what esc,prop size,battery size ect. are you using and last but not least what plane is going to get abused with all that power :eek: that looks like it will be incredible

firemanbill
01-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Have not checked amps yet. Too scared to stand that close yet. I never made it to half throttle on it and the video in no way conveys the power like standing in the same room with it.

I bet! Would like to get a reading on it though when you get it all set up!

Mr. Baggins
01-17-2007, 02:48 AM
Surpisingly enough she topped out at about 51 amps. I think the Wood slimer props are robbing power/rpm so a trip to Stream is in order for some big APC E props

firemanbill
01-17-2007, 03:15 AM
Surpisingly enough she topped out at about 51 amps. I think the Wood slimer props are robbing power/rpm so a trip to Stream is in order for some big APC E props

Could be. Let me know when you get the props. I'd like to come by and watch you run it up!:D