PDA

View Full Version : To many Trex model.. Which one to get?

Tomcat
07-07-2006, 03:11 AM
Am planning to get a Trex but am not sure which one.. Theres a 450, 450X CDE (what's CDE stand for)?, 450XL HDE (HDE?), 450XL CDE eCCPM? and SE?..:confused: X,XL is it abt the size or something?

I know 450 is the standard one and the 450SE is the full upgrade.
and also is it all the Trex eCCPM?

Fly Away Ohm
07-07-2006, 10:59 AM
From what I can gather,

450X is the basic original.

450XL is a bit bigger with a longer boom which means you can run bigger blades.

450XL HDE is the mechanical mixing version. Supposed to be easier to set up for a beginner (this is what I have got and if this is easy, I'm glad I didn't get the hard version).

450XL CDE is the CCPM version (similar servo/swashplate arrangement to the BladeCP and HoneyBeeCP where the servo links directly to the swash and mixing is done electronically at the transmitter). Harder to set up than the HDE, but the direct connection between the servos and swashplate theoretically means less slop and quicker reaction. Apparently you need to be an experienced flyer to tell the difference between the HDE and CDE.

450XL CDE SE is the same as the above but with all the blingy bits already supplied. Doesn't fly any better but looks prettier when you crash it.

600 The DADDY! It is BIG and only recommended for those with immensely deep pockets. The li poly batteries alone are 140 each! Can't wait to see the Align Aluminium Carry Case for this baby! It will have wheels at one end and a tow hitch at the other! One day.......

Tomcat
07-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info:D

Helitown
07-07-2006, 10:42 PM
From what I can gather,

450X is the basic original.

450XL is a bit bigger with a longer boom which means you can run bigger blades.

450XL HDE is the mechanical mixing version. Supposed to be easier to set up for a beginner (this is what I have got and if this is easy, I'm glad I didn't get the hard version).

450XL CDE is the CCPM version (similar servo/swashplate arrangement to the BladeCP and HoneyBeeCP where the servo links directly to the swash and mixing is done electronically at the transmitter). Harder to set up than the HDE, but the direct connection between the servos and swashplate theoretically means less slop and quicker reaction. Apparently you need to be an experienced flyer to tell the difference between the HDE and CDE.

450XL CDE SE is the same as the above but with all the blingy bits already supplied. Doesn't fly any better but looks prettier when you crash it.

600 The DADDY! It is BIG and only recommended for those with immensely deep pockets. The li poly batteries alone are 140 each! Can't wait to see the Align Aluminium Carry Case for this baby! It will have wheels at one end and a tow hitch at the other! One day.......

You nailed it down pretty good!

Sleepstalker
07-12-2006, 01:57 AM
A new Trex option on the market is Horizen's exclusive Trex 450SA it is the ONLY Rex that is an ARF and has the same layout and dimensions as the top of the line SE. The frame and main rotor assy are a mix of aluminum and composite that is supposed to rival the se as far as performance and toughness , not quite the visual bling of anodized aluminum..all aluminum is grey on this girl. However add some good servos and good gyro and a hot motor setup and you got some serious 3D dude! You also save about $200 bucks and a fair amount of build time.....:cool:

Tomcat
07-12-2006, 03:28 AM
It is nice :eek: Ill wait till they have all the stocks and compare em :)
Thanks!!

toecutter
07-18-2006, 02:37 AM
you might wanna add the G4 rotoworkz frame for the HL models. its sweet..........direct Eccpm, beautifull frame:D

I'm gonna build my HDE around this frame;)

BeenThere
09-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Kinda like buying some movie DVDs.
Do you want the WideScreen or Pan and Scan, Director's Cut, limited edition release, with deleted footage, in the special case with the mail in coupon for the "Initial release only" poster....

Many of the TRex owners I have spoken with say to stay away from the SE unless you are really confident with flying. All the "Bling" parts are more expensive to replace then the normal ones when you crash. You can always upgrade to SE spec afterwards.
Remember, Plastic is a bit more likely to flex and bend in a hard landing and metal, more likely to bend and break.

redgiki
09-11-2006, 05:50 AM
I fly a T-rex 450XL HDE deluxe edition, and am in love :)

The basic tradeoff between the CDE (eCCPM) and HDE (mCCPM) version is this: do you want to spend more time configuring your radio, or more time configuring mechanical linkages? The HDE will have you tinkering with your model more to set it up, and the CDE will have you spending more time clicking buttons on your radio. Both can be flown equally well by experienced pilots. I measured my linkages, and my HDE flew without a single click of trim in any direction on the maiden voyage. And I've seen quite a few flyers really tear it up with an HDE.

It's also useful to be aware of the various editions. The "Deluxe Edition" of the above has large parts pre-assembled, including the head, frame, and tail assemblies. All you have to do is add some ball links and attach your linkages for many of these. I put my 450XL HDE Deluxe Edition together in about 6 hours, and it was my first try :)

The Deluxe Edition also has a bundled motor and ESC: 420L for the CDE, and 430L for the HDE. Both with 25A ESCs by default. A lot of heli sellers mix-and-match, though, so you end up with all kinds of cool combinations like the XL CDE with 430L motor and 35A G-series ESC.

The way I decided was:
1. SE, XL, X, or X version 2? The original X is very cheap now, but has some well-known problems. I decided on the XL because I liked the idea of a longer tail boom.
2. Deluxe Edition or Separates? I decided on Deluxe Edition because it saved a good deal of cash versus getting the ESC and motor separately, and had the motor I wanted (430L).
3. HDE or CDE? It's really, truly, six of one, half-dozen of the other. If you're planning on using your current radio and it doesn't have a CCPM heli mode, you almost certainly want HDE. If you have electronic mixing on your radio which can handle CCPM, you probably want CDE. In my case, the HDEs weren't selling as well at the local hobby shop as the CDEs, so the shop owner marked down the HDE price $30 and it had the more powerful motor of the two. Sold!

I also opted to put a separate BEC on my bird. One day I may want to run 4S, and I had one laying around. They're cheap, they dramatically reduce the amount of heat put out by the ESC, and they deliver very consistent voltage and control surface response from the start of the battery to the end, unlike most ESCs. What's not to like?

RUSH
09-12-2006, 12:49 AM
A couple more points regarding the CDE vs. HDE. The CDE uses all 3 servos to move the swash plate for elevator/roll AND pitch. So they all share the load equally. On the HDE, there is a separate servo for pitch, which must take a heavier load than either of the elevator/roll servos. The HDE is pretty much just like a Raptor, if you're familiar with those.

Also, the swash servo arms tend to rub on the CDE canopy - it seems like the CCPM version was just an afterthought by Align. So, most people have to modify the canopy to keep the servos from rubbing on it. I used the washcloth under the canopy, then heat with a hair-dryer trick to reform it myself.

It's a great flying bird, whichever version you choose to buy. Enjoy!

Dimension
09-21-2006, 04:02 PM
From what I can gather,

LOL

Tomcat
09-21-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the replies :D Its been 2 1/2 months since I started this thread.. I got myself an HDE XL its really smooth but when you crash you practically breaks all the plastic parts :( and theres a huge slop between the swash and main shaft (you can literally move the swash up and down using your hands unlike an SE/CCPM it wont move unless the servos move) But all I can say is that any version of TREX great, parts is cheap, parts is all over the internet and LHS, but quality is kinda :mad: and its good for Learning :)

Heres some pics w/different set-ups :D

comets8518
10-26-2006, 05:25 AM
so, I bought a new Tx that has heli capabilities thinking I "needed" it. So am I to understand that if I got a CDE eCCPM then I needed it, but if I got the HDE I could have used my regular 6ch radio w/ everything but heli mode

RUSH
10-26-2006, 06:11 AM
No, you still need a heli radio for the HDE since you have to be able to set pitch/throttle curves and idle-up, etc. Your Tx just has to be able to do 120 degree CCPM mixing for the CDE.

Tomcat
10-31-2006, 10:25 PM
After so many Upgrades.. Here she is now :D

comets8518
10-31-2006, 10:47 PM
looks good. did you setup/build yourself? or help from friend and/or lhs?

Tomcat
11-01-2006, 01:43 AM
I build it myself :) Trial and error :)

Tinman
01-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Do they make a TREX that is RTF, or one that comes ARF with a transmitter?

Mato
01-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Tomcat, cool looking bird! I love that canopy.

Here is my baby:D