PDA

View Full Version : LiPoly Batteries for Acsent

NWIBuzzard
08-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Made a maiden flight today with an Ascent I picked up at a swap meet. I made many of the mods listed in this and other forums and it flew well. Now, I'm curious - if I wanted to convert to Lipoly batteries to reduce the weight what size do I need and will I need a different esc (now using 7 cell Nicads and 20 amp esc)?
Thanks in advance,
Jim Deck

Jason T
08-28-2005, 01:26 AM
Jim,

What motor and prop are you using?

NWIBuzzard
08-29-2005, 05:24 AM
6-3 folder- just replaced stock prop's blades - stock motor - 7 cell NiCads.

Jason T
08-29-2005, 12:31 PM
If it is the stock brushed motor then you will want to go with something like a 1320 2s thunder power pack or equivalent. The only issue may be getting it to balance with the weight reduction.

U2Steve
08-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Actually, it might help. My Ascent was a tad nose-heavy with 7 KAN 1050's. I moved to a 2s 2100 Thunder Power and was able to get rid of the 14 grams of lead I put in the tail.

TimOBrien
08-29-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm using a 2S 1500mah lipoly pack and it works great.

1/2hour flights are no problem with plenty of power.

Be sure to read the other thread here on the Ascent; he used a 3S pack and is getting motor overheating.

I would also suggest you replace the prop blades with Graupner 6x3 folder blades (they are a drop in replacement for the stock blades, which are too large for the standard motor and may also cause overheating.)

NWIBuzzard
08-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The very first thing I did was to put 6-3 blades on the prop. If I go the 2S 1500 LiPo route, will I need to replace my 20 amp ESC? BTW, I flew it today and found it climbed out very nicely.
Jim Deck

U2Steve
08-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Your ESC should be set for Li-po low voltage cutoff. If it doesn't have that feature, you should replace it with one that does, or add something like the Li-Saver or some such that will prevent you from over-draining (and ruining) your Li-po packs.

Edit: Found ESC's at Great Planes (Electrifly brand) that have a Li-po-safe voltage cutoff, and they're not too expensive!

nakelp86
11-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Made a maiden flight today with an Ascent I picked up at a swap meet. I made many of the mods listed in this and other forums and it flew well. Now, I'm curious - if I wanted to convert to Lipoly batteries to reduce the weight what size do I need and will I need a different esc (now using 7 cell Nicads and 20 amp esc)?
Thanks in advance,
Jim Deck
Make sure that ESC you have handles Lipos, otherwise you are looking for trouble :-)

ragbag
11-16-2005, 12:09 AM
I picked up an Ascent the other day at the local hobby shop. Waiting for a receiver. Reading this thread made me go out and try some stuff. Stock setup, eight 800 MAH NIHM, Castle Creations Pixie 20 ESC.

12 amps, 86 watts, 8500 rpm, abt 24.1 mph

Graupner hub and 6x3

9.6 amps, 68 watts, 9600 rpm, abt 27.2 mph

Stock hub Graupner 6x3 blades

9.6 amps, 66 watts, 10600 rpm, abt 30.1 mph

Polyquest 2s1p 850, Pixie 20, Stock hub, 6x3 Graupner blades

8.5 amps, 56 watts, 10100 rpm, 28.6 mph

Kokam 1500 2s1p, stock hub, Graupner 6x3 blades

8.7 amps, 54 watts, 9800 rpm, 27.8 rpm

Looks like the graupner blades and either lipo will serve me well. On the bench the only time I had a heat problem was with the stock blades and NIHM battery's. The motor and the battery's were warmer than I would like, for all the longer that it was run.

The stock hub is larger than the Graupner which changes the actual diameter of the prop and their blade is a little thinner.
Some of the numbers don't all make sense, but it gives me something to do while I wait for my receiver to come in.

By George

TeslaWinger
12-10-2005, 10:23 PM
I flew my ascent for 3 yrs with a 3 cell Kokam 1500 and a 7.2V S400- but went thru 5 motors due to heat. There is plenty of room to balance the 3 cell 1500- all the way aft, as I recall. Expect the motor to be shortlived at this power level but still good for several dozen flights.

The latest combo was a Thunderpower 2 cell 2100 maH with a 6V S400. As I posted recently in the Ascent Overheating thread the secret is to get cooling air THRU the motor- holes in the mount- no amount of blowing air on the outside of it with scoops etc will really solve it- but a few extras on hand will easily get you flying again quickly- and $10 for a month (for a new S400) of flying until it fries is still a good deal! The 2 cell version was very light and it soared nicely despite the less than spectacular power output and still climbed ok. Use only 6x3 props for a S400 direct and learn to love this sweet lil bird!

For an ESC I got several FMA Direct Super 20 ESCs and they have been flawless in every application.

The only other flaw of the Ascent is the tendency of the stabilizer to warp- maybe cause I took it everywhere for a quick toss in a hot truck...? A sealing iron, a bit of coaxing and a sharp eye will fix that nicely

PS: Adding nearly a pound of lead to the tail is a sure sign one would need to need to rethink the pack size for this small lightweight bird! It will fly- but it wont soar at 2 to 3 times the normal weight!

Quik
12-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks in advance,
Jim Deck
I use both nicads and li-pos. With a FM 20 brushed esc.
Changed to the mandatory 6x3 blades.
nicad is the recommended 9.6v 8 cell 700 mAh
lipo is a TP 2s 2100 mAh
Both work well.
Stock motor overheats with both, but what the heck .. at about $8-10 bucks, you can afford to replace it 1-2 times a yr.
Great Park motorized glider.
Quik