PDA

View Full Version : Not flying but still R/C!

firemanbill
07-10-2006, 02:13 AM
Saw these guys over on Marylands Eastern shor this morning as we were heading home.

Electric R/C Sailboats having a little regatta!:D These boats had to weigh a minimun, of 24 pounds to compete!:eek: My little brain could not compute R/C and 24 pounds in the same sentance...

They were really cool though and these dudes could sail those boats!

Don Sims
07-10-2006, 02:18 AM
They are cool looking boats. The Battleships that shoot rounds and sink each other are also interesting.

firemanbill
07-10-2006, 02:22 AM
:eek: I wouldn't want to lose that battle! lol

These are replicas of the Skipjacks that used to fish for oysters and crabs on the Chesapeake Bay, some still do

ForestCam
07-10-2006, 02:29 AM
Dad had a 1m sailboat in a box in the basement when I was growing up, something he got in trade for some R/C stuff back in the 60's. This thing actually still had the lead acid 6v battery in the kit and the instructions showed linear servos. About 12 years ago I almost got the bug to finish it untill I found out what radio gear would set me back.

Don Sims
07-10-2006, 02:32 AM
http://www.rcwarships.com/rcwarships/ is a link Bill. They use CO2 to shoot ball bearings at each other.

Cam, with the cost of gear going down, would it be economical to finish it now?

ForestCam
07-10-2006, 02:37 AM
I honestly don't know what happened to it. Either it got sold at a garage sale or tossed when mom and dad moved to Florida 9 years ago.
All I do know is it wasn't in the garage when my oldest brother and I went through dad's R/C stuff after he passed.

firemanbill
07-10-2006, 02:38 AM
That's cool Don. I still know I wouldn't want to lose!

These guys today were using radios like the Hitec Laser 4 and some other older looking Futaba gold boxes with a wheel and a stick instead of 2 sticks. The Hitecs looked like any other radio. I don't know what they had inside them but in this case the boats looked more expensive than the radios.

I'd say it's like anything though and that there is 2 ends of the spectrum on this hobby as well. I think I was looking at the "park sailors" today. :D

TLyttle
07-10-2006, 04:26 AM
I have only built one boat, a model of a San Francisco ferry from the 1850s. It's a sidewheeler, walking beam engine (what a history to those), the model is electric but unfinished. It needs detail trim and a radio.

It isn't exact scale, so I took the liberty of renaming it for my mother; she loved it so much that I only got it back a few years ago (I bult it in the early 80s). I recently found a boat club, so I am now inspired to finish it off...

With luck, I will post a picture or 2

Bill G
07-10-2006, 05:45 AM
I have a Dumas cabin cruiser that I started reworking several years ago. Now seaworthy with all the electronics in it, but still unfinished. Glassed the hull and has a skim of bondo that needs sanding. Got in to these planes, and it got put on shelf 13.

TeslaWinger
07-30-2006, 03:04 AM
I had a small one yrs ago and had a ball with it. 3 channel, ready to sail- and it sure did! Yeah, Bill, the taller they are, the heavier that deep keel is! Mine was not very large but had about 5 lbs on that keel!

The secret to the sailboats is the giant super servo that reels in the sail line (sets the angle of attack relative to the wind/heading.)

I think of soaring and sailing as very similar- in that soaring is vertical climb away from gravity, sailing is often about going upwind at as close an angle as possible, considering the heading vs the wind direction.

Want to Always Win at sailing? A 'Caterpiller Drive' with a brushless motor driving a pump and a small hole fore and aft will put your honor in dire straits indeed! Try not to luff (flap) the sails too badly as you scream upwind to your competitors astonishment... and your unceremonious dunking by a tx waving mob! :D

T, ya gotta love a sidewheeler- this one is a treasure! The Band do a great riverboat song on The Last Waltz DVD, called Evangeline, a Robbie Robertson song. A video of her in action along with that song would be great... course you would have to sink it to keep up with the story! Thats show biz... :D

By the way, Nikola Tesla invented the RC model- and his first effort was a boat!

Nowadays RPVs fly and carry cameras, guns and missiles and make transoceanic flights and interplanetary spaceflight complete with joyrides on Mars. I'll bet he knew about my RC Video Duck too!

TW