PDA

View Full Version : Great thermal flight

Jason T
07-13-2006, 11:57 AM
I had a great thermal flight last weekend with my Bingo (Pulsar 2.5m). Thought I would share the flight log. I only climbed about 30-35 seconds.:) I wish I could get this lucky everytime.

Tucson Don
07-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Very interesting. It looks llike fun!
Tucson Don

Crash with Pride
07-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Jason,
What altimiter are you using? I like the graph record of the flight.
About seven years ago I was flying a hangglider and we had a
variometer/altimiter that we carried with us on our glider control bar, but is to heavy and bulky to use with an R/C airplane.
Jon

Crash with Pride
07-17-2006, 01:58 AM
Jason,
variometer/altimiter that we carried with us on our glider control bar, but it would be too heavy and bulky to use with an R/C airplane. It was also able to be plugged into a computer at the end of a flying day and printed out a graph showing altitude,time elapsed,rate of climb or decent,time of launch, landing, ect.

Jon

Jason T
07-17-2006, 03:50 AM
Jason,
variometer/altimiter that we carried with us on our glider control bar, but it would be too heavy and bulky to use with an R/C airplane. It was also able to be plugged into a computer at the end of a flying day and printed out a graph showing altitude,time elapsed,rate of climb or decent,time of launch, landing, ect.

Jon

Jon,

I use the RAM+ (http://home.epix.net/%7Ercbrust/) by Soaringcircuits.com. There is another good one called Zlog (http://www.hexpertsystems.com/zlog/).

Crash with Pride
07-18-2006, 02:22 AM
Thanks Jason,
I think I'll contact one of these outfits and ad another gadget to my airplane!!! I'm doing some aerial photography and it would be handy to be able to state what altitude the picture was taken from.

jooNorway
08-19-2006, 09:37 PM
I have used the RAM2 for a while, and it is nice because the small size.
I use it both for DLG to check height on different launghing techniques, and also to test the climb-rate when i review electric setups ;) Since it can log as much as 9 hours it can sit in a plane for the whole weekend and I know I have all the datas for every flight.

On my larger gliders I use a Picolario, it is a telemetry system which sends vario-signals and height to a receiver on the ground. Costs a lot more than the others, but nearly every day when we do sailplane-towing and there are thermals I can fly for 1-2 hours, landing just because I have to get a cup of coffee :D