PDA

View Full Version : Newbee to gligers - good first glider

lennyshotgun
07-13-2006, 03:49 PM
I've been flying electric for about 9 months - and I was thinking I'd try learning something new.
So - what is a good 1st plane?
The Easy Glider getting lots of attention, would you recommend for a beginner?
Thanks
Lenny

Don Sims
07-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Yes Lenny, a newbie could fly it, there are several threads here about it.

Sky Sharkster
07-15-2006, 01:36 AM
Hi Lenny, Welcome to the Sailplane Forum! I haven't flown the "Easyglider" myself but have seen it fly and it is a good first glider. It's durable, thermals easily and has a decent climb. I prefer balsa gliders myself but the "Easyglider" is one of the better foam ones.
Good Luck!
Ron

AEAJR
07-15-2006, 05:31 AM
We have a bunch of Easy Gliders and Easy Glider Electrics at our field. Wonderful plane!

jooNorway
07-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Although I have flown gliders for decades I have a lot of fun with my EG, and there are 6-7 others in my club who bought EG`s after they had tried mine both on the slope and high-start. It flies as a trainer, but it like it hard on the slope too if you are used to use the rudder!
Here is a short video I made when a friend of mine (sailplane newbie) played with it on a very small slope: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8624215605816521429&q=%22jooEasyGlider1%22+playable%3Atrue

To add weight in heavy winds I put a threadened (8mm) rod inside the wingrod. This adds 300 gram.

AEAJR
07-30-2006, 05:21 PM
jooNorway,

Great video. What were the conditions, do you recall?

jooNorway
07-30-2006, 06:41 PM
I think the wind were appr 5-6 m/sek. The ridge is really small, only 60 meters long and 10-12 meter height. But it works great 6 out of 7 days during the whole summer, thats why we use it so much. And the cars are parked 3 meters from the slope :)
Even a nice landingspot 30 meters to the right, there have been flown 3,5 meters WingSpan gliders here!

AEAJR
08-19-2006, 05:27 AM
I've been flying electric for about 9 months - and I was thinking I'd try learning something new.
So - what is a good 1st plane?
The Easy Glider getting lots of attention, would you recommend for a beginner?
Thanks
Lenny

So, did you get your glider?

lennyshotgun
08-19-2006, 02:28 PM
I decided to start with a unicorn wing - bout half way built :) thanks for all the advise
Lenny

EZ1
09-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Any input on a Cirrus 2M sailplane? Just got one and don't know all that much donchaknow? *S*

AEAJR
09-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Is it an ARF?

My friend has one. Very similar in design and flying characteristics to a Spirit. His was an ARF. Came with the spoilers all ready to go.

EZ1
09-09-2006, 02:29 AM
AEAJR,
Yep! ARF...Haven't built anything from scratch since before I was a teenager. Just hafta put the wings and tailfeathers together and install electronics. Originally was going with the Multiplex electric glider cuz I kinda know how rudder and ailerons are supposed to coordinate. But figure rudder and elevator would be a good place to start out, so I swapped ailerlons for the installed spoilers.

AEAJR
09-15-2006, 12:28 AM
The Cirrus will be fine as a first glider. Once you get it set-up, bring it to the field for some test glides.

Be sure you have set the CG correctly, have all the surfaces properly centered and that all the surfaces move in the right direction.

You won't need the spoilers for the first flights so if you don't have 'em ready, bring it to the field anyway. Just install the servo that works the servos, then balance the plane and we will do some test glides over the tall grass.

Do you have a hi-start?

AEAJR
01-06-2007, 11:35 AM
I decided to start with a unicorn wing - bout half way built :) thanks for all the advise
Lenny

How did the wing come out? Pictures?