PDA

View Full Version : Direct drive or geared?

raych
08-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Buying my first 3D EP ARF, one of the Flatouts from Great Planes.
What are the pros and cons of the direct drive motors such as the rimfire brushless outrunner compared to a geared brushless inrunner such as the park 370 from E-flite?
First glance tells me direct drive is lighter and has fewer moving parts to wear out.
I'd like to see what "packages" are being used with the Flatouts.
Thanks

EpoweredRc
08-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Buying my first 3D EP ARF, one of the Flatouts from Great Planes.
What are the pros and cons of the direct drive motors such as the rimfire brushless outrunner compared to a geared brushless inrunner such as the park 370 from E-flite?
First glance tells me direct drive is lighter and has fewer moving parts to wear out.
I'd like to see what "packages" are being used with the Flatouts.
Thanks

Well with geared if you hit and breck something most likely you will just bend or breck a shaft that you can fix,or a gear maybe( I have never broke one) if you have direct drive then theres more pressure on the shaft and if you breck a shaft you cant fix it yourself you have to send it in and depends on what brand it could take a while to get it fixed or a new one.

although some of the cd rom motors like lensrc has a deal where if you breck it he will replace it for free,I dont think hes ever had to replace one thats how good there are.I run Himax motors geared and have only broke or bent shafts.

nova801428
09-11-2005, 08:03 AM
what kind of flatout did you get and di you get it off online