PDA

View Full Version : Great Planes Electrifly SE5a

Pages : [1] 2 3

wattman
07-14-2006, 02:37 AM
Anyone else seen the Tower add for this new biplane ? :)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LNMSH7&P=G

This is the radio controlled, electric powered, almost-ready-to-fly,
ElectriFly by Great Planes S.E.5a WW1 Park Flyer Sport Scale Airplane

I am anxiously awaiting one of these :D

WWI Ace
07-14-2006, 03:10 AM
I've seen this!!! Looks interesting. Maybe a good Allied plane to go up against all my Fokkers!!! Wonder if any more planes are in the works? Steve.

Twmaster
07-14-2006, 03:36 AM
Oh darn them! I love the SE5a.

<insert grumble about buying more planes here>

It's a sickness man. :D

WWI Ace
07-15-2006, 03:13 PM
I know what you mean!!! You convince yourself that you have enough planes and they come out with something better!!! Steve.

WWI Ace
08-28-2006, 03:21 AM
I've also seen pics of a Fokker DVII done in Lt. Raben's colors that will be available soon!!!! Steve.

wattman
09-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Yes I also saw the add at the LHS for the new Great Planes Fokker D VII
wow it just keeps getting better .......

t. edwards
09-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Great Planes SE5a is now available at Tower Hobbies. Tom

wattman
10-01-2006, 02:02 AM
I have here at my home the new SE5a , it is nice :)
Everything unpacked and weighed on my digital postal scale came to 13 oz , thats everything from in the box :)
The plane feels so light , nice packing for shipment , all covering smooth and laid down well , nice wheels and landing gear , the batt hatch is a perfect fit and held closed with magnets ....all installed already .
It is like both of the Super Sporters from GP , only better and lighter it seems , I am pleased , so far .;)
Cabane struts are flat painted METAL , also the interplane struts and the landing gear is flat painted metal , feels pretty strong , of course they could be bent if enough force was applied . The cabanes fit in strong box slots ........and are really , really , tight fitting , had to use a fingernail clipers fold out file thingee , to open the slots up just a smidgen , no need to glue them in ....they are tight .
I am anxious to complete and fly , but , it may be a little while :eek:
If the Fokker is like this , they both will be some nice WW1 birds for us :)

rcers
10-01-2006, 05:14 PM
wattman - we need pics!

Mike

wattman
10-02-2006, 01:55 AM
From the table here , just looking at the pieces...........................:)

tommytorino
10-03-2006, 01:49 PM
My only gripe on this plane is the mount they use for the motor. Hey if thats the worst I can say it must be pretty good!

Saw one of these fly at NEAT, very nice indeed in dead calm conditions.

Enjoy!

Tommy D

rcers
10-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Mine is almost ready to fly. Cabanes LG and ailerons are all I have left......

Hyperion 2213/20 motor spinning a 9x5 prop on 3s. About 140w so it should go with autority.

I am very close!

Mike

rcers
10-12-2006, 03:08 AM
This is one of the best ARF's I have ever built - 6 hours ready to fly!

Well guys I flew mine this afternoon. I was worried, small bipes can be an HANDFULL. Well any of them can really.

Well no reason to worry. This is a fine flying airplane. CG was right on with the battery in the center of the tray. Use the control throws they recommend. Low rates make this docile and easy to fly.

It is remarkably fast with the Hyperion 2212/20 motor and GWS HD 9x5 prop....That setup on 3s draws about 14 amps. PLENTY of power. I was surprised at how well it carries speed, most bipes almost drop out of the air without power.

A keeper for sure....

Mike

max-nix
10-13-2006, 01:04 AM
Here is a web site of the restoration of a SE5a with lots of pictures of the real thing (for all us "propellor heads):D

http://storage.mfa.free.fr/SE5Auk.html

rcers
10-13-2006, 01:11 AM
max - what a fantastic site, thanks for sharing!

Mike

rcers
10-14-2006, 09:03 PM
My scale details are pending (Pilot, manifold, pipes guns etc....)

But thought you guys might like these shots Ronnie took this am....

N3CLI
10-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Max

You made my day! Thanks for sharing buddy.

vax6335
10-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Max

You made my day! Thanks for sharing buddy.

Me too. Those are beautiful. Makes me want to get one. Anyone know what kind of E-flite motor would be a good one for this plane?

rcers
10-15-2006, 01:16 AM
I am using the Hyperion 2213/20 motor a 150+ watt motor and I fly it at under 50% throttle.....

So I would say a 400-450 park outrunner would be great. The Hyperion I use is more in line with the 450.....

Mike

Uncle
10-16-2006, 01:38 PM
I just got mine together and took it for it's first flight yesterday. There was a bit of a mishap due to (er-huh) pilot error... But after a short minor repair I was back up again. Man it is a sweet flying plane.

I built it with the recommended 'RimFire' motor and Electrifly ESC and it has nearly endless climbs rates.

I have a question for anyone who has come up with a drag tail for theirs - I see Mike has a good looking solution for him. With out a mod I find the rudder drags on the ground. I have a pice of wood taped back there now and it works, it's just not very elegant looking....

It is a great plane though - Will try and get some pictures later.

rich

rcers
10-16-2006, 02:21 PM
It does need a larger tail skid - and one more "scale" shaped....

I will add to mine to get it to the correct shape.

Mike

alienx
10-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Can we get a picture of the stock tail?

rcers
10-16-2006, 07:16 PM
alienx - if you look above at the in flight pics you can see the green stock tail portion as well as the 3" or so length of CF rod stock I added to keep the rudder from catching.

The scale one can be seen at the full scale site, but in essence where the GP skid angles back towards the bottom of the rudder the full scale actually angles the other direction creating a skeg that drags on the ground. Easy to recreate, I will just add a piece of ply where you see air inbetween the CF rod and existing skid.

Mike

alienx
10-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Oh, I see what you are saying. That rudder IS a low one!! And large from front to back as well. Doesn't leave a lot of room up the fuse.
Thanks.

PS. I'm looking forward to seeing someone's flight video. It looks like a nice flyer on the promo video, but GP videos are terrible if you are trying to get e real sense of the plane itself.

rcers
10-16-2006, 07:38 PM
PS. I'm looking forward to seeing someone's flight video.

I know the review on eZone should be done fairly quickly - I can assure you it is a sweet flying airplane - MUCH better than I expected.

Mike

max-nix
10-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Can we get a picture of the stock tail?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

See post # 14

Uncle
10-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Some pics of my S.E.5a and pilot....

WWI Ace
10-24-2006, 01:00 AM
I'm not a fan of the SE5A but I have to say that yours looks very good!!! Steve.

kahloq
11-06-2006, 03:19 AM
My gripe is the engine mount like already mentioned. I have several motors I could use, just fabricating a motor mount in place of the "specifically designed for Rimfire motors" one is a pain. I ended up just ordering a Rimfire, but of course this is what GP wants you to do.

Uncle
11-06-2006, 04:20 AM
A couple of mods I made to the battery box have helped me out. I glued a small piece of wood across the opening to the motor as I found the battery can slide forward enough to rub against the spinning motor.

The other mod was a simple piece of electrical tape folded at the end to make opening the magnetic battery door much easier. The door fits snug against the landing gear and I found I needed to try and dig a fingernail under the lip to get it off - now much easier with the tape.

max-nix
11-06-2006, 03:53 PM
What size li-po are being used? I am asking because the battery compartment is rather restrictive, especially limiting battery thickness. Most 3s 1p are too thick.
Please give mah number of cells & physical size.

Thanks
Smasher Bob

Ck out this pilot figure on ebay!
RC Model Pilot 1/10 WW1 head & shoulders Petes Pilots (http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Model-Pilot-1-10-WW1-head-shoulders-Petes-Pilots_W0QQitemZ190048752407QQihZ009QQcategoryZ340 56QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZpete1141QQhtZ-1
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif

rcers
11-06-2006, 04:54 PM
I am using the TP 2000 pro lites they fit well....

Mike

kahloq
11-06-2006, 06:22 PM
What size li-po are being used? I am asking because the battery compartment is rather restrictive, especially limiting battery thickness. Most 3s 1p are too thick.

Thanks
Smasher Bob

RC Model Pilot 1/10 WW1 head & shoulders Petes Pilots (http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Model-Pilot-1-10-WW1-head-shoulders-Petes-Pilots_W0QQitemZ190048752407QQihZ009QQcategoryZ340 56QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Why not just use the pilot figure from Hobby-lobby. Its already pre-painted, is lighter then those resin ones on e-bay and costs only $4.10
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pilots.htm

Many ppl on rcgroups are using the TP 1320 3s battery. Some are using the TP 3s2000. The 2100 prolite will not fit(too long). I am not sure why your saying most 3s1p batts are too thick to fit. The Thunder Power 3s batts fit fine and the E-flite batts fit easy as well(these are thicker then the ThunderPower).

max-nix
11-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Hi Kahlog & Mike
Thank you for the good suggestions & quick replys.

I much preferred a 10c 2000mah battery as I did not need a 20c battery & did not want the extra & un-needed expense. But------
TrueRC lists:
TrueRC 1500mAh 11.1V 3S1P pack Up to 15A Continuous & 22A Max burst

(which, although only 1500 mah is compact & economical @ $27 ea).This is a good compromise but Nachurly they are sold out at the moment.:mad:

The pilot head refered to is very tempting, but I would prefer a WW1 1/10 scale pilot if practical, I only suggested it as someone else might feel the same way. I will may end up with the painted head, as I doubt that I could do justice to painting something that intricate.:rolleyes:

kahloq
11-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi Kahlog & Mike
Thank you for the good suggestions & quick replys.

I much preferred a 10c 2000mah battery as I did not need a 20c battery & did not want the extra & un-needed expense. But------
TrueRC lists:
TrueRC 1500mAh 11.1V 3S1P pack Up to 15A Continuous & 22A Max burst

(which, although only 1500 mah is compact & economical @ $27 ea).This is a good compromise but Nachurly they are sold out at the moment.:mad:

The pilot head refered to is very tempting, but I would prefer a WW1 1/10 scale pilot if practical, I only suggested it as someone else might feel the same way. I will may end up with the painted head, as I doubt that I could do justice to painting something that intricate.:rolleyes:

The Langley 1/12th scale pilot at Hobby-Lobby is WWI. You can easily wrap a small piece of fabric around the neck area to give the scarf appearance.
Regarding battery selection. The TrueRC one seems like a decent deal, but the C rating is less then I normally like to have simply because I have a wide range of different types of planes I fly that require different motor setups. The TrueRC is good up to 15 amps which gives it a 10C rating more or less. I dont buy batteries specific for only one application. I have many planes, so a battery needs to be able to be used in more then one plane. Example, I can use the TP 1320 3s batteries(13c 17A cont) I have in the SE5a, GWS Corsair, GWS ME-109, GP Corsair and 2-parrelled with Seagull Extra 300, GWS A-10, and PA Katana Mini. Most of my other electric planes run TP 2100's.That TrueRC 1500mah bat probably could be used in any of the planes I listed, I just dont know if theyd get too hot. If your wanting to save a few dollars still, TrueRc does have 1200mah 3s batteries for $24. This would be fine too for the SE5a

max-nix
11-07-2006, 11:12 AM
kahlog
10-4:cool:

kahloq
11-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Ok just checked size on the 1/12th Langley pilot from Hobby-Lobby. It is too small for the SE5a. I have one lying around and I put it in the cockpit and it requires a "high chair". So, the 1/10th Jack would be the right size if you dont wanna paint the pilot figure that comes with the kit(I cant hand paint for anything).

max-nix
11-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Excellent info!
http://www.theaerodrome.com/

(http://www.theaerodrome.com/:D)

kahloq
11-11-2006, 01:39 AM
Here is pic of actual cockpit interior of a real vintage SE5a:
http://www.ivyandmartin.demon.co.uk/martinphotos/se5a_f938_sample.htm

Here is a site that has a lot of info regarding the stats of the plane
http://homepage.eircom.net/~frontacs/DOAcharts/Aircraft/SE5a.html

lennyshotgun
11-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Did anyone do a firewall mount on the motor? I'm planning to use a park 450 outrunner and wondering how I would mount it.

kahloq
11-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Did anyone do a firewall mount on the motor? I'm planning to use a park 450 outrunner and wondering how I would mount it.

I was going to use a Park 400 outrunner, but trying to come up with a motor mount was more trouble than I wanted to do so I just got the Rimfire

sokrdz
11-14-2006, 01:35 AM
hi i really want this plane and was wondering if i could but a bp 12 cd rom outrunner brushless motor in this plane? would that give me enough power to get it airborne? i also was wondering if thi splane is realitivly easy to fly.

rcers
11-14-2006, 02:14 PM
hi i really want this plane and was wondering if i could but a bp 12 cd rom outrunner brushless motor in this plane? would that give me enough power to get it airborne? i also was wondering if thi splane is realitivly easy to fly.

Sokrdz - welcome!

What are the specs on the motor - max amps/watts?

I would not fly it on less than about 100-110w....

Mike

sokrdz
11-14-2006, 09:28 PM
it has a max amps. of 12. is this plane easy to fly?
here is the motor:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A1190097&pid=U635171

rcers
11-14-2006, 09:56 PM
Although it is right in the power range, it is rather high kV and so you need to use smallish props. With bipes you want pretty good thrust (larger diameter props) generally. I use a smallish 9x5GWS HD prop and would not want any smaller.

But it may work ok, I would just worry about pitch speed with less than a 5" pitch prop and the plane does like a bit of speed.

It flies very VERY well and I think it is very easy to fly. But it is NOT a beginner/trainer plane....as it is fairly fast, does not have any self righting characteristics and if you are flying on grass you have to keep the airspeed slow or that axle grabs the grass and you do a nice ground loop.

What is your flying experience?

Mike

sokrdz
11-14-2006, 11:01 PM
well i have a gws slow flyer 9x7 prop would that be enough? and i own a sdm cub that i can successfully fly and a tiger moth that i can also successfully fly. i also have a hobbyzone firebird freedom that i cant get off the ground and a e starter that i totalled with the motor i am thinking about using for this plane. i dont plane on buying this plane soon. probably around chrismas i might buy it so i will get some more expierience with my cub.
thanks

rcers
11-15-2006, 02:00 PM
It would - but it will cook your motor, ESC or battery or all three. They say a 8x4 prop. You can't go from there to 9x7 without something cooking.

This flies MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than a tiger moth. It is nothing like that. I would wait until you are comfy with the cub then comfy with a low wing or mid wing plane. Then you will be ready for this.

Mike

sokrdz
11-15-2006, 09:57 PM
what plane whould you think get me ready for this plane?

rcers
11-15-2006, 10:11 PM
what plane whould you think get me ready for this plane?

Next get a shoulder wing plane with ailerons...

Like this one:
http://www.mountainmodels.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_29_76&products_id=224

Then a GWS Formosa...

Then you will be ready!

Mike

Elfwreck
11-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey now,
A coupla thoughts and comments:
I found this plane to be very easy to fly, but then I'm one-o-them extreme areobatics fiends:D
This model just kinda pokes around the sky, nice and easy. If you can fly a high wing mmodel with ailerons, you can fly this one. I'm running a no-name out runner in mine, drawing 15 amps with a 10-4.7 APC slow fly prop and 1320 T.P. LiPos (3s). I don't get huge vertical, but then the original didn't either. It does nice scale stunts; immalmans, cuban eights, tight loops, barrely rolls, and snaps. Hey, it'll even turn fairly flat with just rudder and elevator:) Although it isn't my normal style of flight, I *am* seriously enjoying this little plane.

On the motor mount issue: I used another brand that wouldn't work on this mount, so I got out some scrap 1/8" ply, laid the original over it so I could mark the bolt holes and center cut, then I marked the holes to mount my off brand motor. Drilled them out on the drill press (could have done then "free hand" just as easily) and bolted the whole thing together.
This way I didn't have to worry about angles or spacing. Took all of ten minutes, but then it only took three hours to "build" the whole model.

Another guy at my field has one of these and we're planning on "dawn patrol" manuvers this saturday. I can't wait till the Fokker comes out and we talk some folks into buying that one, mock combat here we come!

Yeah, I *love* this model...
Anybody know where I can find a tiny Lewis gun for the top wing?
RobII

rcers
11-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I *love* this model...
Anybody know where I can find a tiny Lewis gun for the top wing?

Yea how deep are your pockets?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6213033&postcount=84

Mike

WWI Ace
11-16-2006, 11:19 PM
You might try www.wrightbrothersrc.com (http://www.wrightbrothersrc.com) and see if they have the scale you need. They aren't too expensive. Steve.

dmmalish
11-16-2006, 11:33 PM
any pics on that motor mount setup i also am using a no name motor would like to see how you did it cant wait to fly this baby it is my brothers but he wants me to maiden it for him i just got my fokker in the mail monday will start it this weekend we will be doing some dogfighting before to long:D

rcers
11-17-2006, 01:51 PM
any pics on that motor mount setup i also am using a no name motor would like to see how you did

No pics but just take the old mound mark the three outer screws and then use your motor to make the new holes...

So in essence you must make your own mount for your motor using their mount as a pattern. Simple.

Mike

Elfwreck
11-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey now,
That's it. Simple. Mine is triangle shaped, easier to cut, with the three main mounting holes traced from the stock mount along with the center hole. I then just marked where the holes for my motor went and drilled them out. Quick and sleazy, works well.
RobII

Twmaster
11-19-2006, 08:38 PM
Elf: Could you -please- post a photo of your mount?

rcers
11-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Guys good news - I have a buddy that is laser cutting a Lewis gun for us....

I just saw the prototype and it looks great - it will be much more affordable than the Arizona Models one....

Stay tuned....

Mike

jimx5000
11-20-2006, 05:41 AM
This is from my post over at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=577829

I have an axi (2212) on mine and I just used two screws on the stock plywood mount. Mine developed a bad wobble above half throttle. I can fly without going above full throttle, but it's not as fun.

So, I put in some quality drill press and dremel time and here ya go:

http://james.kubiak.com/mount1.jpg
http://james.kubiak.com/mount2.jpg

Will give it a try tomorrow. Weight is 9 grams. I think we can handle that.

Oh and these are for sale. Limited time only. $50 a piece! http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Elfwreck
11-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Hey now,
Wow. That looks just like mine, except mine is 1/8" plywood.
Of course yours being aluminum would be well worth the fifty bucks, if i wasn't up to cutting my own:rolleyes:
RobII

rcers
11-28-2006, 02:32 AM
Great news an affordable Lewis gun - all laser cut for us!!!!

Check it out:
Guys good news Kyle has just finished with a laser cut Lewis gun for this - check it out!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6457878&postcount=312
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6457912&postcount=313

Mike

jimx5000
12-11-2006, 03:49 AM
I went and had some ply motor mounts laser'd up. This is a direct replacement for the stock mount. It is designed to accept the bolt pattern of an AXI 2212 or any of the Chinese motors with a 16mm x 19mm pattern.

These are $5 shipped.

Please P.M. me for payment details if you are interested. I will accept paypal, check or money order.

Mkay?

http://james.kubiak.com/mount.jpg

Twmaster
12-11-2006, 05:16 AM
Oh yea. I want one. PM sent.

dmmalish
12-29-2006, 12:27 AM
here is a video of my brothers se5a
www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=c48fbf47535e888c02ae (http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=c48fbf47535e888c02ae)

Solid Hit
01-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Very nice video!

Well I just came in from my SE's maiden flight. After fooling around with different motors I relented and ordered the Rimfire. I picked it up today and thought they made a mistake - it was a lot smaller then I thought it would be.

The model numbers matched so I took it home and mounted it up. I was somewhat annoyed that I also needed a prop adapter and that the adapter could not go all the way back on the shaft or it would interfere with the cowl. Oh well, I put it on and made sure it was good a tight then out to my driveway for her first flight.

Holly smokes this is definitely the little engine that could! All fears of not enough power were put to rest in the first few minutes. Even at 2/3 throttle and low rates there was enough for some fairly nice rolls and loops. Inverted took a little elevator input. I didn't want to push it right off the bat so I did a few laps, some split S's, and set it up for a landing. It was easy enough to land with a little power and came to rest right side up even on the rough gravel.

All in all this is not a beginner's plane. It is more intermediate if flown easy but it sure can take some power if need be. I can see this one becoming a favorite. Now that I know it flies (more correctly - that I can fly it) I'll spend a little time putting some scale touches to it.

Now I want the Fokker!

rcers
01-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Now I want the Fokker!

I like it even better!

Mike

WWI Ace
01-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Got the DVII. Can't wait to fly it!!! Steve

Spoonwasher
01-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi Guys
I too picked up on of these beauty's from Great Planes. I equipped it with the recomended Rimfire & GP's 25 amp esc.Bench tests showed plenty of power.The plane is almost finished( probably by the weekend as I didn't have the servo extension wires to install so I had to wait to get restocked. We haven't had any flying weather with out 20/30 km winds as yet, so I figured if I didn't finish it, I wouldn't be tempted to fly it. LoL..The shots posted here of it flying are everything I expected.I was very happy with the finish of the model and I'm adding a few scale details now. I made up some aluminumn skis as usually we have snow...crazy year and don't have any as yet,warmest jan on record here in Ontario Can.
Myself and a few other guys went up to our club field New Years day and got a flight in.With 25 km gusts we didn't fly anything new, just got our planes up ,did a few curcuits and got them down in on piece.I figured I leave this project in almost finished state and I wouldn't be tempted to fly it too soon before the weather breaks.I'll get a morning or evening with calm winds soon.I hope
I figured this little plane should fly well. My father( flying buddy too) bought one of the same planes and his is finished waiting for a test flight.We'll fly them together at the field and look for fokkers on the dawn patrols...lol. It looks like a nice plane guys and should be enjoyable to fly.
Don from the Long Sault Flyers

Flyer 1
01-05-2007, 11:13 PM
You'cn relax about the wind conditions - these handle wind very well and trim out easily. In fact, until you begin doing aerobatics you'd think you were flying an aileron trainer. When you rev up that motor and start tearing up the sky, though - it's a blast!
Flyer

Spoonwasher
01-08-2007, 09:35 PM
:) Good to hear that it flies as good as it looks and light winds are not much of an issue. It's such a beauty that I didn't want to get it out before I really should.Very tempting though.I'm looking forward to flying it all summer as it's sounding like it will become a favourite quite quicly. I did decide to finish the model and have it ready for the first available chance I get. I have an old drive-in theatre that I can ROG of it's pavement then have a 10 acre field of long grass next to it , if I need to bail..( I'm really wimping out with this little beauty :rolleyes: )
I'm also pleased to find this thread and all the other ww1 rc nuts because this proves he who dies with the most planes wins ! :D I think Ive managed to build 6 different bipes and looking at the fokker for no#7.-3 moths, a Curtis Jenny , 2 E flight flat outs, a Waco, the SE5a.... oops...I guess the Fokker will be..no#9...my mother's Lucky no#....There's got to be room for one more somewhere.:eek:

Flyer 1
01-08-2007, 11:45 PM
I felt similarly about both my Fokker D-VII and SE5.
They were just too darned pretty to risk flying. No foam to be easily repaired - a simple crash and ker-WHAPCRACK!!! Balsa shreds and covering everywhere (in my imagination!). So, they stayed earthbound... for a short while.
Finally I dragged the SE5A out one fairly decent flying day and didn't even consider a rog - just a handlaunch. I actually talked to it as I was preparing to launch, and I've been flying almost 30 years!
As I was winding up for the throw, I told it "You ran fine at home, now let's see you do the same in the air. Now GO!"
Well, things were kinda anticlimactic. It smoothly flew straight ahead gaining altitude and didn't misbehave in any manner whatsoever.
Needless to say, I was a happy camper!
Flyer

Spoonwasher
01-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Hello Flyer1
Your reply is most encouraging. I'm mostly considered a good flyer as I've been flying about 16yrs myself. Starting to get heavier into electrics now.Until lipo's came along, the weight penaty of multipull cells really didn't impress me so I stayed away from electrics although I tried a couple of projects.Couldn't beat the power to weight ratio of 2 stroke glow engines.Now that brushless is more reasonable along with their controlers, I 've jumped in right up to my neck.Started with slow flyers and park stuff getting to know things and now micro indoor stuff and currently in the process of coverting a 118in Bird of Time glider adding folding prop and motor.It will have 4200 mah battery,brushless outrunner(arc welder)40amp esc. Should take the big bird up for some relaxing sunday soaring.The best thing will be when you drop out of the thermal, hit the throttle and back up we go again for more.One of the advantages of electric I like. Anyway,I've got away from ww1 stuff here so we'll swing back by comenting on an earlier post to say I used a longer 1300 mah battery by polyquest in my SE5a as it was the only brand available to me when building started, so I dremelled ot a hole to the rear of the former to allow the battery to stick through.Applied some extra velcro on the battery to keep it in. I was first concerned that the rear of the battery would interfere with the leading edge of the lower wing, but it clears and things balanced out well. So If people are concerned with the longer battery, just make enough room through the former and allow it to protrude further rearward into the fuselage. Not a big deal.
I haven't put a wattmeter on the recomended Rimfire motor & APC prop I installed but intial testing shows ample power.Impressive for a model this light and a motor so small.Throttle management will be included in the flightplan when we test fly it in better weather.
The other little thing of note was the pull tab on the hatch, good mod as I've noted how tight the magnets hold the hatch in.I'm installing one as soon as I quit typing and log off.
Great thread here boys and good tips.Keep up the great imput
I look forward to reading your replies.
Yours in Flying...Don from the Long Sault Flyers
:)

Flyer 1
01-09-2007, 01:05 AM
I used a bigger battery myself, the 3S1500 Electrifly pack. It's marginally longer than the recommended 1250 one, but a few careful slices with the X-Acto knife and all's well.
Flyer

kahloq
01-09-2007, 02:49 AM
A TP 3s 1320 fits in there with extra room left over.

Solid Hit
01-22-2007, 04:56 PM
I inadvertently flew mine last weekend. The wind was pretty bad here but we were out there anyway. I flew my Space Scooter and the MUS since I'm pretty comfortable with them and know they can handle the wind.

Well about 4:30 the wind started to die down so I took the SE up the line. I had on a neck strap for the first time (I think I like it). Anyway I was really undecided about flying her since the wind was starting to pick up and the sky was a grey color that I felt would be a problem. I range checked the plane and decided not to fly. As I was walking back to the SE I had my head down to the wind and somehow I unknowingly hit the throttle. I heard some noise and looked up to see my SE heading down the runway and leaping 3' into the air!

Oh well, decision made! I flew her a couple of laps but was having a hard time with her bottom color against the sky so down she came for another non-descript landing. This is a nice plane that has a mind of her own and wants to fly.

Spoonwasher
01-22-2007, 09:53 PM
Hello Solid Hit (or Bill) .....Some things we do and not know why we do them...LoL...I tried new years day with one of my flat outs first, wind tore it in half so I kinda new it wasn't a good day. THEN TRIED MY 2 METER GLIDER, had some great sucess, a flight anyway to cellabtate the new year coming.Otherwise I've been trying to learn to hover with a flate out "e" bipe indoors.Still not a lot of sucess although I have hovered for maybe a total of 3 min, and 4 rebuilds.With no room for error and even less time to trim out, even windy days are starting to look enticing.There was little wind sunday, but it was minus 29 c ..... so we headed for the school gym and bounced a few 3d'er's off the floors,walls and I hung mine in the ceiling rafters.I find there's not enough room toop through the beams cross structure .so I find out.... I'm beginning to wonder just how many planes one needs before we get this indoor 3d stuff going better....Oh for a sunny warm day.... Still hiding my SE5a in the warmth of my shop...(Chicken...or maybe a moment of good sense..)
Don

Solid Hit
01-23-2007, 01:09 AM
Don, prudence is the better part of valor. No point in taking a chance on a nice plane when it's cold, windy, and otherwise miserable outside.

With any experience at all you should have no trouble with this little bipe. She is well behaved with no bad tendencies. I'm still flying her on low rates and her rolls are spot on.

Spoonwasher
01-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Well, thanks for the pep talk Bill...I think I've got cabin fever already this winter. I very most likely have enough experience, I'll just build something else to bide my time until better weather. I made up a set of aluminumn skis for the SE5a, just incase we get enough snow base to fly from in March..LoL.I think I might need..ahh...let's see..um...maybe a Sopwith......hummm..That miht do...or maybe a Dr1.....LoL....Don

kahloq
01-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Well, thanks for the pep talk Bill...I think I've got cabin fever already this winter. I very most likely have enough experience, I'll just build something else to bide my time until better weather. I made up a set of aluminumn skis for the SE5a, just incase we get enough snow base to fly from in March..LoL.I think I might need..ahh...let's see..um...maybe a Sopwith......hummm..That miht do...or maybe a Dr1.....LoL....Don

Your in Canada and your worried about enough snow base to use skis on an r/c plane? Hell, im in northern Colorado(a location in the state that normally gets little snow) adn we have gotten over 2 ft of snow since late Dec. and at least half of that has not melted since the Blizzard. Normally, it snows one day...then 2 days later its back to 50 degrees.

BTW, I know what you mean with cabin fever. I havent been able to fly for 2 months now(unusual here) and I've built 4 planes and starting on another one. Some flying weather better show up soon or I'm gonna end up with 10 planes to maiden by Spring.

Spoonwasher
01-25-2007, 01:19 AM
:eek: ....I'm having sorta the same problem...If I build anymore planes I'll need an addition on the house....I've seen the blizzards down south of us here in ontario and think the world is on tilt this year.... and you got our weather . I finally had a weak moment and my wife caught me off guard...I said " Yes Dear"...now I'm booked on a flight to the Carribean this Friday....Things could have been worse...she tried to pack me in the cargo bay when I tried to pack down a model to bring with me....I'm only allowed swim shorts...ah well...see you guys when I get back...:cool:

Solid Hit
01-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Did you ever hear of a wing called the Carbon Falcon? It folds up into a nice little package that can be stowed away in a suitcase. Perfect for flying on the beach!

Vintauri
02-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Hehe lots of talk about packable planes this time of year. My buddy just got the okay from his wife to pack the T-rex for their vacation to Mazatlan. He was nice about it but said "hey... it's my vacation too".

I can't wait for the weather to warm up. My SE5 is a great flying plane and just fun to toss around. Snoopy fit well too. I'll have to dig up the pics of him flying but here are a couple from the maiden.

Steve

Spoonwasher
02-07-2007, 05:27 AM
Hey Steve
your SE5a looks great...:) ... a lot like mine...LoL..:rolleyes: ...and glad to hear someone's getting some flying in. It was minus 20 here with windshield factored in, minus 32 c...My wife told me If I brought any rc stuff with me last week on vacation, she would burn it, along with some other body parts of mine I need not mention here.So, the only flying fix I could get was up in a para-glider, soaring over the beach.Coulding find the ailerons though...:eek: ..
I need a nice day out here soon as the shops really getting full of planes.Also I think I've found a good use for my glow fuel, in the fireplace on cold nights.I don't think it will even light at minus 20 outside.
take care, keep the rubber side down and the shiney side up and give Snoopy a dog biscuit..:rolleyes: Don

Old Fart
03-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Anyone run a gearbox motor in this? My Tiger Moth 400 is about due for retirement (it's been my "first plane of the day" for several years) - would like to move over the 2025-4200/6:1/11x7 SF to the SE5a

Spoonwasher
03-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Hello Jeff.....Sorry haven't put a gear drive in my SE5a but I've run a geared 5:1 using 11/8 prop ,10amp esc that works well and a 4:1 geared 11:8 brushless from ST models on my slow stick.Both worked ok in other models about the same weight as the SE5,but I went to a Drirect drive 2 cell BM24-09,inexpensive Tower pro combo from RC Hot deals, in those models That far out performed the geared motor set ups. Using a 9/5 prop also ,which gave me more ground to prop clearence off the grass.
I would think the hassel of creating a mount for your gear box and model may not be worth the effort. The plane is already to go for a Rimfire Brusshless that bolts in easily. Some guys have tried an Axi motor and fabricated a mount system, I think you may have your hands full shoe hornig the gearbox in the way the motor mount is constructed in the model presently. But anything is possible.
Was your moth a Foam GwS 400 model ?...Currently I'm converting one from a gear dive GWS 400, to direct drive brushless, Tower pro combo , 2 cells ,running a 9/4.7 prop. it's pulling 85watts on the meter,at 5.1 amps,this should give me lots of power and plenty of reserve for good long flights.When I get better weather here, I'm going to get my moth uptoo.It flew well on a canned 400 geared and even a canned 350 geared GWS. The canned motors eat up batteries and don't have much efficiency for battery duration.Comparing that to the brushless combo's out today, it's almost not worth putting a canned motor in. Please note that this is just my prefence with the setups I've tried. Your geared set will most likely wwork for you if your trying to re-use the system in the SE5a, and if you do some rework for a mount you should have lots of room for your gear drive.I would think you biggest challenge will be making a mount up to line the output shaft of your gear drive to the cowl opening for the prop in a scale fashion.I think most of yur work will be there creating a mounting systen to work for you. Good luck with it and send a pic of your plane showing the mounted gear box and motor.Keep us posted Jeff.
Don :)

Old Fart
03-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Don,

You hit the nail on the head - only reason I'd pick a geared motor system is that I already own it - as I fly with one of the "Little Screamers" boys (Bob), I'm sure I could easily go that route (or the Rimfire). Like the big props that a gearbox allows though.

Looking at the aluminum mount that e-flightline sells, I might be able to make it work ok - need the dimension from the edge of the front fuselage to the firewall if anyone's got it handy. No hurry, as the TM 400 is still flying (of course, Friday's time at the field might change that) :)

Spoonwasher
03-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Hello Jeff
I've been a little side tracked here at home, daughter was showering and tub wouldn't drain...Septic system was full.Had to get a crew with jackhammers to dig the septic tank lid out,,,still minus 15 here and the frost is down 3ft, today it gets pumped. What a mess...It wasn't what I planned for the next few days. I'll try to get the firewall measurement for you later today. Just have to remove the prop and cowl cover and I should be able to get you a measurement to work with.It's not a big task, just a little busy with a sh__y job if ya know what I mean.Neighbours been great though allowing us to drop in and use their facilities.I'll treat them to a night out with dinner when It's all done.The joys of owning your own home!
Now, thinking of your choice to use up motors & gear boxes, I dabbled into fanfold building a little and made a couple of light foamy's using them as a test bed for gear/prop & battery setups.Our RC club started racing the GWS warbirds.Critera for race planes was any GWS warbird, stock 350 can motor,any unmodifies GWS Prop, 2 cell lipo.Basically this was to keep the racing to piloting skills, and costs to race minimal,not who had the deepest pocket book, but what difference some set ups made. In a short 15 lap race around Pilons 75ft apart, you could fall behind 3 to 4 laps.It became very evident what the short comings were of brushed motors & brushed esc's.Our club really enjoyed the venture and we are racing again this season.I Placed 5th for my first season last year.The Crimson Corsair will be back!...LoL...It's brought us some new members and intrest in the club which we desperatly need to keep expenses down maintaining a flying site.
Well, I'm kinda rambling here so we'll sign off for now and see if we can get a measurement for you Jeff
Don

kevo
03-13-2007, 10:55 PM
They have finally arrived in Australia so I picked mine up on the weekend.
Just got to put it together now. I'm really impressed with the finish.
They did a good job on this one.
I have an ultrafly frio 12 motor sitting in the cupboard. Should be ok if it fits. Will soon find out.

stevecooper
03-14-2007, 12:59 AM
mySE5a Bubs:::I lost her against the treeline, close to dark, too dark as it turned out, She'll be fine by fri, I'm re covering the bottoms of the wings TRAFFIC YELLOW!!!My eyes are a far sight from what they used to be, and Mickey don't look under there much, anyhoo, For you guys an gal's ,a look inside without flatspinn'in in the dark like I did ,I wanted her to land:::crash:: on her feet but the soild land'in gear a might stiff for such nonsence, epoxy&drier sheetson the insides an she'll be better than ever, ya'l bub, steve, P,S, hers a peek under her skirt! the fundango on the wall was a dumb-thumb, sorry,

K CLOSE
03-14-2007, 03:16 AM
They have finally arrived in Australia so I picked mine up on the weekend.
Just got to put it together now. I'm really impressed with the finish.
They did a good job on this one.
I have an ultrafly frio 12 motor sitting in the cupboard. Should be ok if it fits. Will soon find out.
KEVO-
Please post with how the frio works out. I finshed my SE5A a while ago (yet to be maidened tho'), and I bought a 10-10 frio because it was $20 USD. I thought about putting it in the SE5A, but the general concensus seemed to be stock was best- so I chickened out and bought a rimfire for more than twice as much. Seemed like a natural home for the Frio though, so good luck.
Cheers

stevecooper
03-14-2007, 04:08 AM
I'm putt'in a reg (bell forward) back in mine after auger'in in, got the template ready , time to brake-out the demel! ya'll's bub, steve

stevecooper
03-16-2007, 01:00 AM
I'm recovering my SE5a after nearly lose'in her when below the tree-line,(orreantation issue, old eyes I guess) tops white ,bottoms yellow, she's gonna be differant, Anyhoo, I'm try'in to get the old off intack in-case any of my bub's out need patch'in that matchs & save ya buy'in a couple of whole roll's, First come first, post-email-P.M.- and I'll mail it to you, ya'll's bub, steve,

BradT
03-20-2007, 07:49 AM
I just finished my SE5a last night, with just enough light left to taxi test in my front yard, so no maiden yet. Maybe Wed. evening, If I get done work soon enough. I'm using an AXI 2212/34, since that's what I had at hand, with a 10x4.7 APC SF prop, and Flightpower EVO 1800 3S pack, again, that's what was handy. With Whattmeter and tach, I measured 9.5A, 11.5V, ~110W, and 6500 rpm. It feels like more than enough power for this type of model.

I had to do the motor mount mod for the AXI, as others have done earlier in this thread, and enlarged the battery bay to accept the much larger pack, by raising the platform much higher in the fus., allowing the pack to extend rearward above the front wing holdown former. I was worried about CG with the big pack, but it worked out perfectly, since some of the extra weight is further back in the model. Finished weight, pack in, is 26 oz., per my fish scale. I didn't see anyone else's weights posted in this thread, so how porky is my plane?

The only build issues I found occurred right at the end of assembly, screwing the landing gear together. I managed to strip one of the tiny screw heads for the rear brace attachment to the main leg. The screw started OK, but then jammed in the hole, and stripped the Phillips head as soon as I added a little more force:mad: . It's still in place, but I'm worried that it may pop out on a landing, and damage the gear. Where the heck do I find a replacement flathead machine screw that tiny? The other problem occurred when I taxied the model. In only a few yards, the right wheel fell off. it appears that either the inside lock nut was ommitted when the gear was assembled at the factory, or it spun loose as soon as the plane rolled on the grass. I had to spend ages searching through boxes and bottles of screws, nuts, and bolts, before I found a match to the fine thread of the gear axle bolt.

The rest of the build went exactly per instructions, and I must say that this is the nicest arf, in terms of fit, finish, and instructions, that I've assembled in 10 years of modelling. No pics attached, since it looks exactly like every other SE5a in this thread.:p

Brad.

stevecooper
03-20-2007, 04:00 PM
BradT::Like you, I got a "monday-morn'in" SE5a, After strip'in her I found a Bulkhead in fuse missed the fitt'in slot and bulging out the fuse, 17 unreinforced butt joints, landing gear attachment block on wing wasn't gluled-CA'ed or anything,and sloppy clabane supports on fuse,calabane attatchment on top-wing forward right side was'nt glued or C.A.'ed( glue was there they missed the joint) I sent them an E-mail an offered to send pix's of what I was have'in to do to her but all I got back was " we'll tell our superviser" so don't expect any help from great-planes as they don't seem to care,your bub, stevePS my wheels did'nt fall-off so I guess it ain't all bad1( they seem to fly well,watch the roll rates )

Bil2
03-20-2007, 08:03 PM

Thanks
Smasher Bob

I wonder if this is about the same size as the one that comes with the SE-5A from GP?
Thanks,
Bil

dmmalish
03-28-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm recovering my SE5a after nearly lose'in her when below the tree-line,(orreantation issue, old eyes I guess) tops white ,bottoms yellow, she's gonna be differant, Anyhoo, I'm try'in to get the old off intack in-case any of my bub's out need patch'in that matchs & save ya buy'in a couple of whole roll's, First come first, post-email-P.M.- and I'll mail it to you, ya'll's bub, steve,

recieved the covering steve thank you very much the se5a will be in the air again soon:)
your new friend Dave

kevo
04-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Does anyone know where I can get the Rimfire motor and prop adaptor in Oz or overseas if a decent price. Plus I need a new radiator for the plane and I haven't even flown it yet.:(

I put a new Ultrafly Frio 12 motor in it as I had it doing nothing at the time. Made a ply mount for it and put the recommended (by ultrafly) 9 x 4.5 prop on.
Decided to test the install today and get it ready to fly.
Ran up the motor slowly and only got to 3/4 throttle when the motor shaft broke and sent the prop bouncing around the workshop:eek:
In the process it shattered the radiator cowl:mad:

Any help would be appreciated.

Spoonwasher
04-09-2007, 11:23 AM
hi Kevo...I picked mine up from Tower hobbies.com in the states, not sure what the shipping costs to you would be in Oz, not cheap I'd expect.Great hobbies.com has them too here in Canada now.You can order online and have them shipped...the faster you want them..the more shipping cost, so It'd how bad you want it to how fast I want it.Now the rimfire has great power,mine is on a1500mah 3cell apogee lipo, The plane would basically hover when I tried it in the basement.I havenot had any weather here in peterborough canda that would allow me amaiden flight.WHEN i'VE HAD A CLEAR DAY, THE WIND WAS TOO HIGH...BEEN A REAL BUMMER...sorry had to vent a little bit.Try a google search for those hobby shops online and check your pricing...I hope it's fair enough t

Bil2
04-09-2007, 04:02 PM
Or, go to UnitedHobbies.com and seek a motor with similar or same specs as the rimfire. I prolly don't have a plane with the mfgr's 'recommended' motor - usually there's a monetary reason for the recommendation....
Bil

dmmalish
04-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Or, go to UnitedHobbies.com and seek a motor with similar or same specs as the rimfire. I prolly don't have a plane with the mfgr's 'recommended' motor - usually there's a monetary reason for the recommendation....
Bil

here is the motor i am going with i used a 2836-10 from headsuprc originally but am now swapping it out for this one eBay: 2408-21 Outrunner Brushless Electric Motor (item 220099592847 end time May-04-07 19:31:11 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/2408-21-Outrunner-Brushless-Electric-Motor_W0QQitemZ220099592847QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3405 6QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem) hoping it will fly slower and more scale like the 2836-10 i think way overpowered the plane if you are going for speed and aerobatics the 2836-10 would be the one but hang on it will scream it jumped off the ground in about 6 feet

Spoonwasher
04-09-2007, 10:27 PM
well I had one or two motors I could have used but I though for once I'd try the recommended one...lol

kevo
04-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the info.
Looks like Tower have the motors in stock but not the cowl yet. Might have to wait. Couldn't find anywhere else listing spare parts.

Spoonwasher
04-10-2007, 11:42 AM
if I see any parts listings while searching I'll post it here for you Kevo. I was kinda wondering myself if I could get parts if I needed them.
Don

The MacDaddy
04-11-2007, 02:41 AM
Hey all, I thought there was a post about the true difference in a bi plane and a ???? plane, which has one wing smaller than the other?? any help finding it would be appreciated.

Mac

gutsandglory
04-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm not sure where the aileron extensions are supposed to hook into the Y from the receiver. On the Fokker there was a hole cut out of the center of the wing. On this plane, am I supposed to make my own cut? Through the covering? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

stevecooper
04-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Gutsandglory:::On the top of the bottem wing feel around in the middle till you find about a 3/8's hole, that'll be it, I'll look for a pix's, Here you go, your bub, stevecooper PS you do'nt need a long "y" as the receivers close

kevo
04-13-2007, 07:15 AM
Finally got the rimfire motor on the way.
Its supposed to have a 10x4.5 SF prop and a 3 to 5mm prop adaptor according to electrify.

Anyone know who makes this size prop with a 5mm hole?

Spoonwasher
04-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Hi Kevo...I used a 10x3.8 by apc...which is very close, and will draw a little less in the amps .Don't forget the hub adapter for the 5mm props like I did when ordering .I had to search high and low for one in our LHS's around here.I think e flight props are 10x4.5, but I could find one in stock.

stevecooper
04-13-2007, 02:57 PM
kevo::I mostly drill & counter-sink one side but if you dont mind gray APC's props come with a half dozen adp's, I prefer e-flite cabon props but theses composte props work well and you can put em on anything, your bub, stevecooper

Bil2
04-13-2007, 05:09 PM
A drillpress works well for me, but at the field I use my electic hand drill to bore out the hole(s), and a prop balancer to make sure they're still in balance. Since the holes are predrilled, when you are drilling them out, I've found they rarely go out of balance.....
Bil

Spoonwasher
05-04-2007, 12:33 PM
well, weather was fair, so we maiden'd my greatplanes SE5,even with the aileron travel reduced the ship was very sensitive to input,but we managed and it flew well.I'm going to change recievers and radio's and use DR rates and some expotentional mixing.The rimfire outrunner motor provided good power and the 3 cell apogee 800mah 20c batttery gave me around 15min of flight.It was windy once over the treeline at our club, about 12km, then it diminished labout an hour later. The plane does handle a little wind but probably would have been better if the ailerons were less sensitive. I'll make ajustments and fly it again,but what a little beauty in the sky, I almost got caught admiring it fly past, forgetting I was piloting for a brief moment,it looked so magestic.
I will have to go on a cross contry and find that DR1 of Franny's down south...lol
Don

Spoonwasher
05-04-2007, 12:36 PM
SE5 finished and ready to go....maiden'd may 3/07
successfully!:)

Bil2
05-04-2007, 03:51 PM
well, weather was fair, so we maiden'd my greatplanes SE5,even with the aileron travel reduced the ship was very sensitive to input,but we managed and it flew well.I'm going to change recievers and radio's and use DR rates and some expotentional mixing.The rimfire outrunner motor provided good power and the 3 cell apogee 800mah 20c batttery gave me around 15min of flight.It was windy once over the treeline at our club, about 12km, then it diminished labout an hour later. The plane does handle a little wind but probably would have been better if the ailerons were less sensitive. I'll make ajustments and fly it again,but what a little beauty in the sky, I almost got caught admiring it fly past, forgetting I was piloting for a brief moment,it looked so magestic.
I will have to go on a cross contry and find that DR1 of Franny's down south...lol
Don

I'd like to know your settings on your SE5a, so I can set mine at that or a little less. We've got a ton of wind in Central Florida coast this time of year. In fact, this WHOLE year so far!
Thanks,
Bil

stevecooper
05-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Bil2:: Try dremel'in out the slot a-bit and lower'in the throw's on the servo horns, You can drill a lower hole on the horn if need be. Mine's a might more tame now, your bub, scoooper

Bil2
05-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Bil2:: Try dremel'in out the slot a-bit and lower'in the throw's on the servo horns, You can drill a lower hole on the horn if need be. Mine's a might more tame now, your bub, scoooper

Thanks! I'll give it a try - maybe. I bought it, and maybe the horns are already in...?

stevecooper
05-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Bil2:: did I miss something? " horns already in"your bub,stevecooper

Bil2
05-05-2007, 12:47 AM
Yeah, I bought it semi-built. Wonder if the guy followed the directions? I've just looked at it, but haven't really examined it yet. Got a great deal, this with the motor, and a Seagull 300 with the eflite 480, and a polycharger4 and a bunch of batts, rx's, 3 name brand escs, etc for not too much - all new and in a big box. Building something else right now, no time....

Spoonwasher
05-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Hello Bil2..aileron setting was in the stock second-middle hole on both servo & aileron,this gave me about 3/4in travel,thought this was okay but needs way less.moving rod to lowest travel holes, now have 3/8..which should be good but we'll try it.I may also switch recievers so I can program in the aileron travel,expo & use DR sw. I have 2 comp radio's ,just need a new reciever for this plane I guess. I just tried to get away with using a current no frills futaba I had not being used.I dont really think the plane needs all that mixing/programming to fly it as it's not complicated, it's just a nicer flyier if you use the extras.
Bil2,the plane doesn't do too bad a job in light winds,but remember it is a light balsa electric,8 / 10 mi/hr are capable.The other thing I noticed was the tail skid in the grass gave some issues tring to get off longer grass...I'm going to add a small wheel to the rudder like the scale version to help the taxi'ing at our grass /lumpy field(we haven't rolled it yet this year).After ground looping in the grass ,twice on my maiden, I strightened her out, hit full throttle and we had lift off in 3 ft.not too scale but effective.the rimfires extra power will get you out of trouble in these situations..lol..Don

Spoonwasher
05-05-2007, 12:39 PM
proposed Se5 tail wheel

Spoonwasher
05-08-2007, 04:44 AM
well got the plane out with 50% less throw...tail wheel added.Not sure but had more trouble ground looping than before but had some wind that didn't help, hit the ground with the prop on a nose over and darned if the motor didn't come loose.Lost one those motor mount srews and didn't have a spare at the field. Headind to my LHS for some spares so have to let you know how the reduced throws go Bil2.Good weather predicted with 5km wind max so should be able to try the reduced throws out and let you know
Don

K CLOSE
05-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi all,
Just a quick note. I finally got to maiden my SE5A yesterday, after having finshed the build in December. Thanks to reading this thread for a heads up on her bad habits it went off with out a hitch. Set the transmitter on low rates, with expo. set in, it flew like it was on rails and floated in for a landing. Just wish the D-VIII had gone as well:roll: .

Bil2
05-08-2007, 05:17 PM
well got the plane out with 50% less throw...tail wheel added.Not sure but had more trouble ground looping than before but had some wind that didn't help, hit the ground with the prop on a nose over and darned if the motor didn't come loose.Lost one those motor mount srews and didn't have a spare at the field. Headind to my LHS for some spares so have to let you know how the reduced throws go Bil2.Good weather predicted with 5km wind max so should be able to try the reduced throws out and let you know
Don

Thanks, Don
Bil

Biplane Murphy
05-28-2007, 02:33 AM
I have been flying the SE5A and the FokkerDVII since the day they were available. Excellent planes. I put E-flite 480 outrunners and tp 2100 3s batts in both. Running 12-6 apc slowfire props. Extreme power!!!!! Jump off the ground with authority. All control surfaces have been set to the physically maximum. I really enjoy hucking these bipes around like 3-d planes (makes the older guys at the club laugh and comment on how non scale my flying is). I made aluminum mounts that look just like the other guys, what a coincidence...ha ha ... Had to cut firewall to fit the 480's and they barely fit. Also modified the batt compartment on SE5A ( cut slot in floor /roof and installed batt at an angle through the front fuse to fit it in). The fokker batt compartment fit my 2100 batt perfectly, but had to remove a little wood on the hatch. I fly at a very rough grass field surrounded by redwoods, pines, firs, alders, mountains etc.... our club field takes a brave pilot and a strong plane. These two little bipes have been flown innumerable times through fall, winter, and spring. Still fly great after lots of repairs(Crosswind cartwheels the usual culprit). Hope you guys like yours as much as I enjoy mine....Chris

gutsandglory
05-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I've also flown both the DVII and the SE5A and IMHO, the SE5A blows the Fokker away. I've got the 950kv in the allied plane and the 1250kv in the German plane so you'd think the Fokker would fly with more authority but that has not been my experience. The SE5A is real smooth and real lively and yet ,very tame.

The MacDaddy
05-29-2007, 01:08 PM
Hey guys,

I flew my SE for the first time this past weekend, what a cream puff!! After a hard day of 3D, this puppy settles you back down with swwwweeet loops and rolls.... and the slow fly by's had everybody watching after the field cleared of the 30%ers.

I think the Fokker will be at the field shortly to chase me.... better pratice.

Mac

RacerPaul
05-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Hi Stevecooper...

Love that pic with the young man posing behind the SE5 while holding the AirHogs Bipe!

Great Pic!

Paul

Biplane Murphy
05-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi guys... I'm not sure which one I like better, (Fokker or SE5A) but I do know that the SE5A is superior in landings..... less of the scale nose-over pilot killing landings on our scale crater (gopher hole) infested club grass field!!!! Glad to see this thread come to life.... What gear are you using... what throws... CG etc.... Chris

The MacDaddy
05-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Biplane Murph,

buy a mower! My SE likes about 1/4 throttle just before the wheels touch, cut power, wheels touch, 1 second pause, then full up and a little power, it should stop in about 34.22 inches, give or take.

Mac

Bil2
05-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Dang! Thought we were the only ones with gophers. :D
Bil
From the West Coast of the East Coast......

Biplane Murphy
05-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Well..... I wish it was the grass, however we regularly use our riding mower!! Its the infernal gophers and their confounded holes!!:blah:
On my slimers I have resorted to using up to 5" gopher crushing wheels, but my little electrics can't carry those into the air.::o Bil2 says he deals with gophers too, No winning with the little buggers. What gear are you guys running?????

Spoonwasher
05-30-2007, 01:07 PM
well no gophers but I'm having some landing gear issues. The SE5's plastic axle broke,bent the wheel.So added an aluminumn axle shaft,again yesterday bent a wheel.I love the williams wheels but having a few issues..think I'll try a straight music wire axle, it's a little tuffer,little heavier too but the plane flies well with oodles of spare power so it should handle the weight. Seems the longer grass at our field is grabbing the shaft and jamming the wheels giving me nose overs on landing. I too cut the battery bay larger for my 1350 3cell apoogee lipo battery.works okay.

Biplane Murphy
05-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Spoonwasher...I too have had landing gear issues. Broke the plastic axle as well.:mad: Replaced with a carbon fiber tube.;) Periodically pops free of the axle bolts, but a little thick CA and its back in action.
My matching Fokker DVII has Has way had way worse problems nosing over....bending axles...Ripping landing gear out...etc...:blah:
Had to ditch the wheel wing(became loose in its mounts) .:mad:
Ended up using a carbon fiber tube around the full length axle on it as well. Seems to be a lot stiffer and stronger. lots of luck;) ....Chris

stevecooper
05-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Spoonwasher::: I made my axle with a bamboo skewer an 4.mm heat shrink in two layers, strong & lite, your bub, stevecooper

Spoonwasher
05-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the tips guys..let you know what I decide to do..maybe angle iron and tig welded

Spoonwasher
06-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Hi Guys, still have the axle popping apart on some landings,I'm going to the supply store for some large heat shrink, 2 bucks for heat shrink, 35 bucks for fuel to get there... the things you dont have when you need them...priceless...

Biplane Murphy
06-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Wow....You must really live in the "sticks". I thought my little town was isolated!! We at least have three hardware stores and a small hobby shop for 7,000 people. Good luck on the landing gear.

Murph.........

Spoonwasher
06-23-2007, 01:32 PM
our hobby & larger stores that stock what you really need are in the bigger cities ,like toronto canada..about 1 1/2 hr drive on the freeway.Only one two hobby shops about an hours drive that are closer, so I order online a lot.We have small hardware stores , but they don't carry alot of variety in small stuff, so when I have to go to town, I take a list and make it worth while...I love where I live as it's very peacefull and beautifull landscape, little to no polution and you can fly planes all day long without bothering anybody....fishing is my other passion when I'm not building or flying...only work gets in the way...lol...

stevecooper
08-09-2007, 04:01 PM
New cowling for SEa5's for $3.50 ( and a batteries timer for FREE!!) Found this a familydollar store, It fits pur-fit-ly, ya'll's bub, stevecooper

Biplane Murphy
08-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Score!!!! Free cowl!!!!!That looks like it would work great.:)

FlyingMonkey
08-09-2007, 04:29 PM
you are all very sick people!!!

:D

FlyingMonkey
08-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Hey Steve, how close are you to Wakulla?

The GF and I were just there this weekend. And when I typed in your Shadesville town into the map thingy, it showed it as right next door to the spring...

stevecooper
08-09-2007, 06:08 PM
FlyingMonkey::Springs are right down the road, Shadeville has no Post Office so my mail add's, Crawfordville, I'll p,m, you my px,&add, so we can go fly'in next time, I got plenty of planes to fling poo with (an the cow field got plenty of poo!) Sorry we missed ya, [Postscript]After more test fitt'in The colw'in go'in on and the old one's gonna be the spare, think I'll go black on this one, your bub,stevecooper

FlyingMonkey
08-10-2007, 11:34 AM
now I have one more reason to want to fly with you steve....

I picked up a DR1 yesterday. Whole thing "ready" to fly for $130. The shop owner is a glow guy, but gave it a whirl. He had the top wing on wrong, and the ground effect wing was at the wrong angle. He didn't like the way it flew. (no wonder...) It has all the parts that GP calls for, rimfire motor a pheonix 25 esc, and hitech servos all around. I couldn't say no.

I took the wings off, and fixed them best I could. I need to install my own RX, he had one from a glow sized plane in it. No need for all that weight!

The battery is the electrifly bat, but I will set it aside for now, as that it doesn't have the balancer plug. He told me to stop by next week, he would GIVE me the charger... He really doesn't like electrics :D

Next time the girlfriend wants me to take her to Wakulla (to stay in the lodge, probably fall, so we can enjoy the fireplance.), you'll be needing to watch your six!

Spoonwasher
08-11-2007, 09:43 AM
hey Steve, Nice grab on the spare Cowl and Timer.I'll be searching the dollar stores for a spare.Been flying my SE5a for a bit but been trying to keep up with my glow Delta racer .Sloppy ,oily to say the least, but I never new a bunch of old gray haired men to have so much fun, with out going to jail...LOL..!

stevecooper
08-11-2007, 09:12 PM
FlyingMonkey::My Mom was a stunt-Db for Jane in the movies they made there (30's). Pretty place for sure! Bring-on the folker scurgh Steam-Boat Willy an his NA-NA (SEa5) Six cells (11.1V)Lipo's,25AmpESC, honk'in outie, are ready, Bottom's catapiller yellow so you'll see me div'in on ya!!your bub, stevecooper PS. Spoonwasher: I Hope you find one !

Biplane Murphy
08-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah Monkey man.....My GP SE5a has a 480 in it (turbo charged).....try to keep up!!!!:Q

FlyingMonkey
08-11-2007, 10:14 PM
that sounds scale...

Biplane Murphy
08-11-2007, 10:20 PM
that sounds scale...

And my contrtol throws are set as far as they will physically travel!!!

Flies very non-scale:)

FlyingMonkey
08-11-2007, 10:24 PM
I want SCALE!!!

with a little extra thrust to get me out of trouble.

Biplane Murphy
08-11-2007, 10:28 PM
I want SCALE!!!

with a little extra thrust to get me out of trouble.

Mine will climb vertical indefinately.....rolls are lightning fast...Snaps are incredible....this irritates the older guys at the field, but there not flyin' it!!!.......right?:) It'll even hover for a few seconds!!!;-)

FlyingMonkey
08-11-2007, 10:58 PM
you are such a bastid!!!

part of the beauty of flying at a club field, is watching others fly.

you are runing it by having a WWI Biplane, and flying it like a darn turbo prop Edge!

Biplane Murphy
08-11-2007, 11:42 PM
you are such a bastid!!!

part of the beauty of flying at a club field, is watching others fly.

you are runing it by having a WWI Biplane, and flying it like a darn turbo prop Edge!

Why Yes....I am!!!!:Q on all accounts.....:)

stevecooper
08-11-2007, 11:51 PM
FlyingMonkey:Those old pesty ailerons bout done me in a few times , I even put extensions on the wing-horn's to tame her a might, she'll hover AND climb-out almost strait-up, Got rid of that dumb rimfire crap moter-mounts, and put a real fire-wall in, What the heck were they think'in? Hang'in the moter out there like that! Canter levering off the fuse is about as dumb as it get's! Of course the whole GP.ARF was a piece of junk to begin with, cost twice again the price to make her right, and she's still got a tweak or two to go, I FLY SCALE!! OH YA!!ya'lls bub, stevecooper

gsk11740
08-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah Monkey man.....My GP SE5a has a 480 in it (turbo charged).....try to keep up!!!!:Q

::o

I'm speechless! A 480 in a Mini Pulse is one thing. A 480 in a Se5 is sacrilege!

Biplane Murphy
08-12-2007, 12:01 AM
FlyingMonkey:Those old pesty ailerons bout done me in a few times , I even put extensions on the wing-horn's to tame her a might, she'll hover AND climb-out almost strait-up, Got rid of that dumb rimfire crap moter-mounts, and put a real fire-wall in, What the heck were they think'in? Hang'in the moter out there like that! Canter levering off the fuse is about as dumb as it get's! Of course the whole GP.ARF was a piece of junk to begin with, cost twice again the price to make her right, and she's still got a tweak or two to go, I FLY SCALE!! OH YA!!ya'lls bub, stevecooper

Steve....I guess you wouldn't like the 3-D arms I used on the Aileron servos then....:<....I set my GP Fokker DVII up the same way......One of the older guys wanted to try it....He handed the Tx back within seconds.:Q

WWI Ace
08-12-2007, 12:05 AM
I'd rather have way too much power and back off the throttle to fly scale than to fly an underpowered plane when I'm in trouble!!! Sometimes it's kinda fun to ruin what everyones concept of WWI planes are. They aren't all slouches!!! Steve.

Biplane Murphy
08-12-2007, 12:09 AM
I'd rather have way too much power and back off the throttle to fly scale than to fly an underpowered plane when I'm in trouble!!! Sometimes it's kinda fun to ruin what everyones concept of WWI planes are. They aren't all slouches!!! Steve.

Exactly!!!!;-):Q:)

gsk11740
08-12-2007, 12:16 AM

Honestly, I agree with you. I have a Maxford Jenny with an E-Flite 450 that according to several people is "over-powered" (The 480 wouldn't fit :Q ). I have yet to fly it though. Hopefully soon.

I have had several "over-powered" planes and have found that throttle has gotten me out of quite a few jams.

stevecooper
08-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Biplane Murphy (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=15429): I never was a "natural" fly'er, The kids in my club MULLET MAURODERS out fly me after a year or less, Mild aero-bat's an plow'in around like a John-deere more my style, Think my next plane'll be GREEN,your bub, stevecooper

Biplane Murphy
08-12-2007, 12:22 AM
:)Hi Steve....Today I started as the official Club Instructor......6 training flights today......3 kids aged 11 13 and 55....hehehehe

You gotta love the look on there faces afterwards....pleased as can be!!!!:)

stevecooper
08-12-2007, 01:48 AM
Biplane Murphy::Don't it bring back a mess -o- memories, I'd about forgot how much FUN fly'in is till I started the club, The JOY in the faces of kids (6to60) the first time they get the hang of it, keep up the good work my bub,( guess a rep point isn't wanted , but you get one anyway) your bub, stevecooper PS I'm 55, how bout you help me learn to flip that SE5a of mine around like you do!!

Biplane Murphy
08-12-2007, 02:04 AM
Biplane Murphy::Don't it bring back a mess -o- memories, I'd about forgot how much FUN fly'in is till I started the club, The JOY in the faces of kids (6to60) the first time they get the hang of it, keep up the good work my bub,( guess a rep point isn't wanted , but you get one anyway) your bub, stevecooper PS I'm 55, how bout you help me learn to flip that SE5a of mine around like you do!!

Come on out to California....I'd be happy to help.:Q

1. Here's me holding the new trainer plane "Tiny"...
2. student and his Dad....
3. father and son students cleaning off the "slime" at the end.:)

stevecooper
08-12-2007, 03:23 AM
Heres a few gasers I used to fly, But I love dem E biplanes! I'm try'in to donate em or something, your bub, stevecooper

Biplane Murphy
08-12-2007, 03:28 AM
I love ALL bipes....I have 3 E-bipes...an e-tripe in progress....another E-bipe kit to build after that......Still love and fly iC aircraft though......
Here's a work in progress (106cc Gasser)....I call her "Tiny"....still need to put $1000 or so into it to finish her.

WWI Ace
08-12-2007, 03:46 AM
You guys are doing a great thing with those kids!!! I'm trying to get enough interest here to get our old flying club going again. Steve.

FlyingMonkey
08-12-2007, 03:50 AM
how big is your field bub?

maybe we could start a Hodge's South?

stevecooper
08-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Biplane Murphy (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=15429):Good lord!! what a plane, I'll stay under 48" for a while, Think'in albatross? or something that'll take the stuff I got lay'in around,your , stevecooper

Biplane Murphy
08-12-2007, 03:52 AM
You guys are doing a great thing with those kids!!! I'm trying to get enough interest here to get our old flying club going again. Steve.

Steve....Boy I hope you can......the social aspects of having flying buddies is great!!! Sharing building tips...Teaching Kids of all ages....and of course the heckling of anyone who has soloed!!!:Q

Biplane Murphy
08-12-2007, 03:53 AM
Biplane Murphy (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=15429):Good lord!! what a plane, I'll stay under 48" for a while, Think'in albatross? or something that'll take the stuff I got lay'in around,your , stevecooper

She's only 100" wingspan....about 28-29 lbs. when done...."Tiny":Q;-):)

Spoonwasher
08-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Well, I know some of you guys don't care for the Rim Fire set up, but it has proven to be ample power for my SE5.I first trimmed it in my basement ,hovering like my 3d flatouts.Defintly not a scale move but throttle management works well for me and I always have reserve incase we get a little surprize crosswinds.I cut the throw and the rates 50% and tamed down the ailerons for the GP SE5a and it flies much more scale like.Any way you look at it, any way you fly it, it's still havin' fun! Better than workin',,LoL..Don

Biplane Murphy
08-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Hi Don....The SE5a flies great slow and fast doesn't she.....I like to go nuts with her, but I'll also fly her as slow as possible......
Sometimes it's fun to point it into the breeze, back off throttle and "park" it in one spot.

Spoonwasher
08-13-2007, 07:41 AM
This post is for BiPlane Murphy...Just a suggestion, one that helped in our club, Race something. We picked the inexpensive GWS warbirds, kept them stock on 2 cells,and raced around 2 pylons on our field. This drew intrest for new members to join, learn to fly so they could go racing.These planes aren't very fast,but afordable for all and have been a great way to inspire interest at the club, for older club members too and this brought us the only new members in 2 yrs we've seen.We've even inspired interest from other clubs,our funflies have included some races and anyone can race as long as it's a GWS warbird.It has had a good effect on other clubs as they have started race nights with glowpowered LA .15 size planes.Most new members have come to our clubs drawn in by our racing.The public loves to come and watch and it's been a real source of inspiration for our younger members.One of the key ingredients for our sport to survive is to get our youth away from the TV &computer, get them outside and invovled.Good Luck Murph..
Don

Spoonwasher
08-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Hey Murph, we must have been online at the same time. By the time I'd finished typing and posting my last post, your reply popped up ..LoL..anyway, yes, I've has the pleasure of "parking" mine too.I even think it was going backwards one day in a stiff breeze.
Don

Biplane Murphy
08-13-2007, 08:50 AM
This post is for BiPlane Murphy...Just a suggestion, one that helped in our club, Race something. We picked the inexpensive GWS warbirds, kept them stock on 2 cells,and raced around 2 pylons on our field. This drew intrest for new members to join, learn to fly so they could go racing.These planes aren't very fast,but afordable for all and have been a great way to inspire interest at the club, for older club members too and this brought us the only new members in 2 yrs we've seen.We've even inspired interest from other clubs,our funflies have included some races and anyone can race as long as it's a GWS warbird.It has had a good effect on other clubs as they have started race nights with glowpowered LA .15 size planes.Most new members have come to our clubs drawn in by our racing.The public loves to come and watch and it's been a real source of inspiration for our younger members.One of the key ingredients for our sport to survive is to get our youth away from the TV &computer, get them outside and invovled.Good Luck Murph..
Don

Hi Don...I wish we could attract people like that, Our club is on the Timber companies land...Behind locked gates...the only visiters we get are ones we escort onto the property....Luckily the LHS owner is a member, and has steered people our way. our club was 14 members a year ago....26 members now.:)

Bil2
08-15-2007, 06:08 PM
New cowling for SEa5's for $3.50 ( and a batteries timer for FREE!!) Found this a familydollar store, It fits pur-fit-ly, ya'll's bub, stevecooper

Hey, Steve, you have an exact name for the dollar store? I went to a dollar store and they had what I thought was the same timer, from your pic. But when I got home the plastic cover was too short. And there was a giant hole in the middle for the turning timer handle, too.
I'd like to find the one you found, if its long enough and has a small hole.
Thanks,
Bil

Biplane Murphy
08-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Hey, Steve, you have an exact name for the dollar store? I went to a dollar store and they had what I thought was the same timer, from your pic. But when I got home the plastic cover was too short. And there was a giant hole in the middle for the turning timer handle, too.
I'd like to find the one you found, if its long enough and has a small hole.
Thanks,
Bil

Hi Bill....If you cant find the right timer....The replacement cowl from GP is about $5.00....I had to replace mine early on.

FlyingMonkey
08-15-2007, 06:23 PM
maybe you should buy one to sacrifice....

pour a mold into it, and cut it off. Then you can make your own.

stevecooper
08-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Bil2::It does have a BIG hole thats E-Z to work with, Split bamboo skewers is what I'd planned on to make a grill, but bout anything you may have around'll do, It is tight but not to tight to fit, I took some more pix for you out-side as I see now the others are hard to see on the stove, good luck on you cowl'in, your bub,stevecooper PS,,,,,,,Biplane Murphy, 5 buck's! (shipped?) either ways not bad! Oh Well, I got me a timer anyway!! thanks , your bub, stevecooper

FlyingMonkey
08-15-2007, 06:55 PM
ohhh, look at mr fancy pants...

a bamboo grill even....

I can't wait to learn to fly my tripe, you're so going down!!!

Biplane Murphy
08-15-2007, 07:44 PM
ohhh, look at mr fancy pants...

a bamboo grill even....

I can't wait to learn to fly my tripe, you're so going down!!!

Watch your six Monkey.....:Q

FlyingMonkey
08-15-2007, 07:56 PM
gangin up on me, are ya?

remember, that DR1 can turn on a dive, and give back change...

Biplane Murphy
08-15-2007, 08:02 PM
gangin up on me, are ya?

You forget that my SE5a has a turbocharged 480 rotary outrunner installed...:Q
And control throws that scare the most seasoned of veteran flyers.:<

FlyingMonkey
08-15-2007, 08:09 PM
yeah, and I can kick it while it's still on the ground...

Bil2
08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks, Steve!

'Scuse me, lets Monk & Murph fight....:Q

FlyingMonkey
08-16-2007, 11:37 PM
no fight, I won, see? murph has run away...

Biplane Murphy
08-17-2007, 12:23 AM
no fight, I won, see? murph has run away...

Where's that pesky Monkey?

FlyingMonkey
08-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Where's that pesky Monkey?

look up....

Biplane Murphy
08-17-2007, 12:37 AM
look up....

Yikes!!!!.......:<

Biplane Murphy
08-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Hey Monkey....How's the Dr1 coming along?

FlyingMonkey
08-17-2007, 12:44 AM
well...

I fixed it, then broke it.

I pulled the screws out of the lower mounts. Easy fix, just need to do it.

I need to put a deans connector on the esc, he has regular electrical connecters on it.

I did get another freeby from the guy. He gave me a Triton Jr. As the commercials say... An 80 dollar value!

Biplane Murphy
08-17-2007, 12:59 AM
well...

I fixed it, then broke it.

I pulled the screws out of the lower mounts. Easy fix, just need to do it.

I need to put a deans connector on the esc, he has regular electrical connecters on it.

I did get another freeby from the guy. He gave me a Triton Jr. As the commercials say... An 80 dollar value!

Hey Fred....While you're fixing it make sure to beef up the Motor mount box....My buddies seperated in midair and blendered the cowl while leaving the plane....Deadstick tailheavy tripe is no fun.....And I came across a guy on RCG that had the same problem!!!:< Check my Dr1 recover thread if you want to see how I beefed mine up.

Nice SCORE on the Triton!!!!:)

FlyingMonkey
08-17-2007, 01:08 AM
yeah, seen that thread.

so, I got the tripe.

got the rimfire.

got the esc.

got the servos. (4)

got the battery.

got the receiver.

and got the charger, all for $130...

gfdengine204
08-17-2007, 02:17 AM
gangin up on me, are ya?

What kinda change do you get from a DIVE?

I always thought the saying was "turn on a dime"......but then, I could be wrong. I am once or twice a millenium, after all......:silly:

scalercflyer
09-20-2007, 02:00 AM
I saw one fly last weekend. Flew great!! Hmmmm..... I might have to get one! Martin BTW my AMA # is 18072!! beat that Boys!

Biplane Murphy
09-20-2007, 02:42 AM
I saw one fly last weekend. Flew great!! Hmmmm..... I might have to get one! Martin BTW my AMA # is 18072!! beat that Boys!

I have flown the heck out of mine for a year....LVC got me while doing a "J-hook" landing move.... Needs some repairs now....

I highly recommend the SE5a... and the FokkerDVII...:)

So Martin.....that is one early AMA#..... truly ancient...:Q

stevecooper
09-20-2007, 03:23 AM
scalercflyer:don't like dem backwards rimfire set-up's, hang''in that thing way out there can't be a good idea ( I did'nt even try it) theres a great big firewall to mount to plus chang'in outies is a snap, check her out real good for "monday morn'in built planes as I got one an could have scrached one up faster than fix'in the one I got! But fix her I did ,A lot of guys got good ones too so this is just a heads up for you, Ifly her all the time , She a real head-turn'er, your bub, stevecooper

Spoonwasher
09-20-2007, 10:58 AM
hello gang
i got my landing gear sorted out with a piece of carbon fiber tube, worked great. Took The little SE5 to our scale meet to show her off. Looked great but this dumb sh...t walked on the rear tail and cracked the fin, stabalizer,sub fin and broke my elevator in 2 pieces.This really irritated me as I'd asked this guy to step away from my planes on display and he kept stomping inward.Now I have to pull the covering off the fuse and repair it. It might just become a wall hanger as I don't think I cant get the matching covering.Very disapointing.This is one of the real drawbacks of ARF's...repairs...

FlyingMonkey
09-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Did he offer to pay for the damage, or anything?

Why didn't your fellow club members beat him with socks filled with lipos?

stevecooper
09-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Spoonwasher::What a bummer my bub!! Anything I can do? Let me know, your bub, stevecooper

Spoonwasher
09-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the concern,But not much I can do but fix . Good picks of your recover though.I'll have to chose something for mine when I get the time back in the shop.Too busy flying right now as the weather has been great and I decided to train a new guy to fly in our club.I do like the idea of lipo's in your socks...like 4000mah versions of 4 cell batteries
Don

scalercflyer
09-22-2007, 03:32 AM
Hey Spoon, I have an old slimer electric starter. Put in one of those nasty wool socks out'a do it. I think you will expend less energy with only one or 2 hits though (should do the job nicely). Or perhaps you should'a stepped on something of his that was important to him! :eek: Just a thought! :D martin

Spoonwasher
09-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Martin.I've thinking of building a larger SE5 this winter.I think though I'll order another GP SE5, there not too expensive and build quick. Besides I already have the motor & esc.
Don

scalercflyer
09-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Don, sounds like a capital idea. I have been thinking about one too. I just so happen to have a spare flight system looking for a home. I also have the speed control for her but not the motor. Shouldn't be a problem though. BTW, I have gone to all BERGS for the RX. Rock solid, very resonably priced and works without a glitch. Martin

Spoonwasher
09-23-2007, 01:42 AM
Hello Martin
I've also starting using Berg's, eventually I'll swap all my recievers' out for these. I came across them flying indoors throughout the winter months, and that is one terrible enviroment for radio RF,bouncing off the ceiling steel and 2/3 guys close to you too.The berg's shined in this application and showed no glitching.SO i've started swapping out recievers.They are full Range recievers too, not just park fly range.
FUNNY YOU MENTION RECIEVERS AS i JUST GOT IN FROM SEARCHING FOR MY 2 METER GLIDER. I Found it 1 mile away from our field (by my GPS reading), 75 ft in a tree,in pieces of course but I lost communication to the glider when it hit some strong thermals, It contained a JR 9ch premium reciever, but I lost it just the same. I've been searching for it for 2 days and really had written it off. This morning was a last try. I went into the area where I thought it might be and started turning my radio on, moving my sticks trying to hear the servo's move. It's really quiet in the bush in the morning.I heard a very faint noise in dense bush, hit the throttle stick and I could hear the folding prop buzzing.I found a 6inx6in piece of wing tip on the forest floor so I kept hitting the throttle until I located the fuselage, hanging straight down, 75/100 ft in a tree, apoximately 1.5km from the club ,not an easy find.Some people said I'm a little stubborn....they just might be right...lol...I'm heading out in the morning with safety belt and tree spurs...I will get that fuselage and my electrics back!...I also found the other pieces of the wing while scaling the tree today.Wish me luck and here's hoping I don't break my neck or something else.
Don.....the lumberjack...lol

scalercflyer
09-23-2007, 03:58 AM
Ahh the things we do in this hobby... Martin

Spoonwasher
09-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Martin, that very thought occurred to me 65ft off the ground in that tree.Up there waving in the wind,thinking if I fell, somethings gonna break at the very least,then I was thinking ,would anybody find my body if I broke my neck?When I think of the concequences of falling from that tree, to the cost of what was dangling in the tree, I kinda starting wondering if leaving it there wasn't the better things to do. This morn I'm so darn stiff, I think rigor has set in...and I'm questioning my sanity ?
Don...the hurtin' lumberjack

scalercflyer
09-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Yes indeed Don! It sucks to get old. :mad: Why I myself have the mind of a 20 year old man and the body of a 56 year old. ;) Sounds exactly like something I would do and pay for later! :eek: I love this hobby don't you? Martin (the Mechanic) :D

Spoonwasher
09-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Well I am paying,and my body is definitly telling me I'm not 20 either, but I do love the hobby.My wife new I was a little disappointed so she came home last night and bought me an airplane. 10 bucks at walmart, but I love her dearly because her heart is in the right place and she knows mine. She thought she'd try and cheer me up. It was one of those "air Hogs" with spiderman Decals...Pumper up and let er fly. I took it out today so to try it( I had to try or she'd think I didn'y like it) and I'll be darned if the thing didn't go up about 300 ft and came down about a football field away.Now my mind is workin'(smell rubber maybe) and I'm looking at making a larger wing out of depron for it, looking for more duration...lol.....A couple of acutators, 90 mah baterry and micro reciever and we might just have something. I just gotta try it..lol...Curiosity is getting the better of me now....For ten bucks, you should try one, you'd be amazed how well that air motor works and why should the kids have all the fun anyway...
Take care and great flying to you all
Don

Twmaster
01-13-2008, 01:49 AM
But did you get the thing back??

I just bought one of these today. It's about halfway finished. Might get her done tonight.

Spoonwasher
01-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Yes did get the plane back.I built another one as the wing and rear stab were toast. The new plane worked well with an average flight of 35min.Max was 59min.
Don

Twmaster
01-13-2008, 05:04 PM
That's some fairly impressive duration there Don. Glad you got the remains of your other bird back.

I'm just about finished assembly of this one. It's got a few things about it I truly dislike. For example the control linkages that you heat shrink and CA together. Aroo? That just seems patently dangerous. Anybody had a problem with this not staying put??

stevecooper
01-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Twmaster::Never had any prob's with the linkage set-up an do alot of my scratch-builds that way, DO KEEP THE AILERONS THROWS DOWN!! I even went as far as to put extensions on my linkages to tame her a bit as the roll rates are insane, your bub, steve

Spoonwasher
01-14-2008, 04:18 AM
The GP version uses similar servo and aileron linkages using the shrink wrap and CA, and no problems as yet. just keep in mind that these aren't 15 lb- 3d pattern ships but light electrics so the servo rod links don't need to be super heavy .Ruff up the servo wire before you glue it, this will help bond the ca to the steel rod a little better, then shrink .
Also , i'm looking forward to breaking the 60min mark for a flight this year with my gliders, very do-able I believe and should be a great challege to stretch the thermals, but need the right day, and a stool to sit on,plus neck brace...LoL..:red:
Good luck with yoy SE5a.
Don

Biplane Murphy
01-14-2008, 04:25 AM
I threw away all the shrinkwrap nonsense and used metal micro pushrods and ez connectors....:)

stevecooper
01-14-2008, 04:36 AM
MurphyBub::thats the best way to go ! bub,steve

Biplane Murphy
01-14-2008, 04:55 AM
Yep...

Twmaster
01-14-2008, 04:59 AM
Gee who looks out of place in -that- photo??? :)

I think I'll be going the same route for the links Murph. I really dislike the way this goes from the factory.

Last dumb question before bed time...

Do the cabanes just stick into the fuse sides? No securement?

Biplane Murphy
01-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Gee who looks out of place in -that- photo??? :)

I think I'll be going the same route for the links Murph. I really dislike the way this goes from the factory.

Last dumb question before bed time...

Do the cabanes just stick into the fuse sides? No securement?

Yes....but when all the struts are in place it is really secure.

Twmaster
01-14-2008, 05:12 AM
Yes....but when all the struts are in place it is really secure.

<voice = Mr. Burns> Exxxcelent!

Biplane Murphy
01-14-2008, 05:15 AM
HAHAHAHA.... just make sure the micro pushrods you select aren't too flexible, and it will be perfect..

I also had to very carefully drill out the hole in the horn for the ez connector....if i am remembering correctly.

barmonkey
01-14-2008, 06:13 AM
I used the micro EZ conectors on my Fokker DVII (actually most all my planes) they are quite wonderful. To enlarge the hole in the control horn, I use an Exacto knife...twisting it back and forth on both sides of the hole until it fits. This allows to remove no more material than necessary.

Biplane Murphy
01-14-2008, 06:17 AM
Yep.... I use the ez connectors as much as possible...I love those things!!!

I use a pinvise and drill bits for enlarging holes...

Spoonwasher
01-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Mike,...I also use the EZ connectors, makes set up and ajustments sooo much easier.I searched around in my zillions of small drill bits for just the right bit, then attached it to an exacto/hobby knife handle and only use it for the purpose of honing out those servo horns or for the connecters. It also doubles for the servo screws as a pilot hole when installing those small screws into the plywood rails , helping reduce splitting when putting the screws into plywood. Good luck with your build bud
Don

7car7
01-22-2008, 05:00 AM
Here's some pics of my SE5a. Haven't flown it yet, waiting for calmer winds. Now I just need to get a nice machine gun, and some flat spray to get rid of the shine!

I made a couple of mods, but nothing too serious. I put a wire in the skeg to get the rudder off the ground. Added wing wires, and painted my landing gear and struts to look like wood. I also rotated the aileron servo hatches because I didn't want to deal with using the servo reverse switches inside the battery compartment of my TX. I've got 2 other planes that I didn't feel like altering. While I was at it, I widened the slots on the servo hatches, so I could put the push rod as close as possible to the inside of the servo arm for reduced throws. (I'm not really sure how people set this thing up without a computer radio to match the recomended throws without doing this - or extending the aileron arms.)

Hope you like it!

stevecooper
01-22-2008, 05:27 AM
7car7 (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/member.php?u=18874)::, http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Slot'in the hatches is the way to go
I put extensions on the control horns too, now shes a tamer bird!!Like your land'in gear,,, your bub, steve

dmmalish
01-22-2008, 12:30 PM
very nice looking plane i like the wires and the landing gear nice additions

7car7
01-30-2008, 06:25 PM
I finally experienced the landing gear tube issue. Fell off a couple times.
Even with the thread on the landing gear. I think the thread may have stretched, (or maybe the knots got tighter). Seems to have settled now.

SO, what I did was cut 2 pieces about 1 inch long from my tube. Then I got a length of Carbon Fiber tubing (1/8), and inserted the tubes onto the wheel screw/axle. Then inserted the carbon tube into the clear plastic tubes. I made the length of the carbon tube so it pushes out the landing gear just slightly from stock (wider wheelbase), which also gives the wheels a bit of negative camber like this ----> /--------\. Seems lot's of planes have that, and hopefully it will keep the landing gear from getting bent on landings, because if you come in a bit tilting, the one wheel hitting will be perpendicular to the ground.
That's the theory anyway!;-)

I'll report back when I fly again, it's very windy here lately.

scalercflyer
02-01-2008, 02:55 AM
Here's a nice website for detailing your SE5a. Enjoy! Martin

http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Bri/RafSe5a/index.html

7car7
02-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Very nice site. I've been wanting to find some more pics that would show paint schemes, or personal artwork. Haven't seen much for thes planes.

7car7
02-10-2008, 06:39 AM
I found a cheap little tiny video camera on ebay, and I mounted it in the cockpit of my SE5a today. Thought I'd share the 1st vid. It won't win any awards, but it was fun. I've since made a couple different mounts, one just rearward of the landing gear, looking forward, and another looking straight down. Can't wait for the wind to slow down to try them! The mounts are made of Depron, and are velcro'd into/onto the plane.

Oh, the camera is only around 45 grams, very tiny. Cheap, and NO SOUND. I definately see an upgrade in the future.

Link to Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak8mnL-9Bj8)

7car7
05-08-2008, 05:05 PM
What props have you guys been using in the SE5?

Please check out my thread I just created about a prop I bought...

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=404587#post404587

stevecooper
05-08-2008, 05:31 PM
I've run 8/6-9/4.5's, 9/6, 10/3.5, 10/60, 11/3.5's, I seem to do best with my 9"'ers, Ten's-eleven's are tourge'ly , bub, steve

Twmaster
05-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Yo Bub Steve...

What motor do you have in your SE5a? I've got the E-Flite Park 400-920 (exact same motor as an AXi 2212/26) with three cells. Always liked 9x6SF props on a setup like that.

stevecooper
05-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Yo Bub Steve...

What motor do you have in your SE5a? I've got the E-Flite Park 400-920 (exact same motor as an AXi 2212/26) with three cells. Always liked 9x6SF props on a setup like that.
Mike:: she runs on a KMS3121 which I just spun the guts out of a her( dead-stick'in a lead-sled's no fun!!Pulled it off though)few days ago, (130-150Flights) I'm putt'in a 450-480 in her next, your bub, steve

7car7
07-14-2008, 07:01 PM
For those that have both the Fokker DR1, and the SE5a, what is the difference between the wheels? is one bigger than the other? I like these wheels, and was considering them for another build, but want to know the size of the DR1's.

Great Planes lists them as a different part number, but the Fokker DVII and the SE5 are listed as the same.

Oh, what about the pilot? Same?

On a different note, I finally broke a wheel bolt last night. I've bent it so much, that I knew it was going to go. It got really bent, and judging how easy it was to straighten, I knew the next landing would be the last. Not a big deal. I'll replace with a slightly larger size.

7car7
07-21-2008, 06:27 PM
/\/\/\ Anybody know?

Biplane Murphy
07-21-2008, 06:35 PM
/\/\/\ Anybody know?

I measured them....I have all 3 of the GP WW1 birds....they are the same size.

7car7
07-21-2008, 06:52 PM
I measured them....I have all 3 of the GP WW1 birds....they are the same size.

Ah, very good. Thanks! I wonder why the different numbers?

"in other news", I had a very bad ending to a great morning of flying my SE5 the other day. I was on the second battery, and was flying the snot out of it, and about 10 minutes in, I figured I'd better get it down. Well, not soon enough. I got the soft motor deal, I could actually hear it drop RPM's. I was only about 20-30 feet up, and heading straight for a goal post. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty if I tried to turn, because it would stall and crash hard. I was hoping it was going to just miss the goal post, but, of course not. Slammed right into it. Put a nice 1 inch deep dent in each wing, and bent up the landing gear pretty good when it came down. But no other damage.

I'll order some new wings, and eventually just repair these for a spare set.
I'm so bummed, I love this plane. This is my only crash with this plane. :sad:

Biplane Murphy
07-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Ah, very good. Thanks! I wonder why the different numbers?

"in other news", I had a very bad ending to a great morning of flying my SE5 the other day. I was on the second battery, and was flying the snot out of it, and about 10 minutes in, I figured I'd better get it down. Well, not soon enough. I got the soft motor deal, I could actually hear it drop RPM's. I was only about 20-30 feet up, and heading straight for a goal post. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty if I tried to turn, because it would stall and crash hard. I was hoping it was going to just miss the goal post, but, of course not. Slammed right into it. Put a nice 1 inch deep dent in each wing, and bent up the landing gear pretty good when it came down. But no other damage.

I'll order some new wings, and eventually just repair these for a spare set.
I'm so bummed, I love this plane. This is my only crash with this plane. :sad:

My SE5A is down from similar circumstances.....I was doing a U-turn a few feet off the ground......In knife edge orientation, and the hard cutoff nailed me......no time to react, and she went in ....Hillbilly gave me a set of wings, I just need to put them on, and set up the servos etc....I love that plane!

The only difference I can see in the wheels is the DR1 wheels are a darker red than the other 2.

7car7
07-21-2008, 08:10 PM
a few feet off the ground......In knife edge orientation

Wow, you're a better pilot than me!

After checking out the prices of new wings, $32 EACH, I think common sense says to just go get another complete plane. You just never know when the cowl will go, or the wheels, or the fuse even! For $20 more for the complete deal, well, that's a no brainer I'd say.

Biplane Murphy
07-21-2008, 08:30 PM
A whole plane is a good idea.....lots of spare parts!!

I was doing a u-turn extremely low.....not a straight knife edge pass a couple feet off the ground (I am not that good...LOL)

I do like to knife edge that plane though, I just do it up higher.:)

stevecooper
07-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Wow, you're a better pilot than me!

After checking out the prices of new wings, $32 EACH, I think common sense says to just go get another complete plane. You just never know when the cowl will go, or the wheels, or the fuse even! For $20 more for the complete deal, well, that's a no brainer I'd say.

7car7::easy to repair, And save 89$$ and change the color to something old guys can see!! bub, steve PS heres a knife-edge for you my bub!(see pixs)

7car7
07-21-2008, 10:50 PM
7car7::easy to repair, And save 89$$ and change the color to something old guys can see!! bub, steve PS heres a knife-edge for you my bub!(see pixs)

I certainly agree, it would be an easy fix, but man! I just am so spent for time these days. Middle of building my Albatros, young kids, work, (plus OT), car stuff and a tree house to end all tree houses that I've been building for 2 years now!

You have a very valid and enticing thought though, for sure.

stevecooper
07-21-2008, 10:58 PM
7car7:My House is paid off wife'ie's long gone ( still bub's though) Kids 36-40 year olds ,so time what I got the most of!! go get ya another, no shame in that my bub!! steve PS, smile'in helps get stuff fixed (see pixs )

degreen60
08-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Got my SE5a flying. One mod I did was to cut foam the size of the cowl from meat trays. Cut 2 of them then cut out the middle leaving only about 1/4 inch ring of foam. Make sure it is a tight fit in the cowl. Glue to front of fuselage, now the cowl can be pushed on and removed over the foam.

7car7
08-21-2008, 05:19 PM
I really like the blue on your plane, very cool look! Now ya just gotta paint your struts to look like wood!

btw, what do you think of it's flying characteristics?

degreen60
08-21-2008, 07:07 PM
I really like the blue on your plane, very cool look! Now ya just gotta paint your struts to look like wood!

btw, what do you think of it's flying characteristics?

I think I will use a brush and some acrylic brown to paint the struts. Maybe they will streak and look like wood grain. It seems an easy plane to fly but it is about all the plane I can handle until my flying skills get better flying a plane with A/E/R/M. I changed the motor from a 2410-9Y to a 2410-8Y and it seems take off better on hand launch. I am using a 10x8 prop and a 2s lipo.

7car7
08-21-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat, wouldn't wan't much hotter of a plane.
Interesting that you're using a 2cell and a MUCH steeper prop than the stock setup. I'd be curious to see what it feels like.

degreen60
08-21-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat, wouldn't wan't much hotter of a plane.
Interesting that you're using a 2cell and a MUCH steeper prop than the stock setup. I'd be curious to see what it feels like.

I have not had any luck flying with a low pitch prop. I have broken every low pitch prop I have had in a crash. I now fly all my planes with a high pitch prop. I think it helps when flying and the wind comes up.

scalercflyer
08-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Oh Baby Oh Baby does she look sweet! :):):cool: Very nice job! :cool: Keep up the good work. Martin

degreen60
08-22-2008, 04:33 AM
SE5A is back in the repair shop. It really flys nice. Now I just need to learn to land it. It came in a little high tonight and went over my head. There are trees behind me so I tried to turn and lost sight of the plane. It dived straight in from about 10 feet high. Not as much damage as last crash, mostly wing repair where it is held on.