PDA

View Full Version : No Flyin Goin on Here!

Grasshopper
07-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Well, between the temperature of 100 degrees, humidity and a heat index of 108, there ain't no flying goin on here. I've tried to work on some stuff in the shop but it's just too hot. My wife's an angel but she can only take so much of all my stuff spread out on the table and kitchen counter. Gotta mow the yard too and that isn't looking like it's going to happen today. It's so tall now that all I can see of our two Golden Retreivers is their ears sticking up. OK, it's not quite that bad but is really needs mowed. Guess I'll go out early in the morning. Man, that cuts into the only descent flying time I've got now. It was 97 degrees at 9:30 this morning.

Can't wait for fall!

firemanbill
07-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Well Tom don't feel bad. It's been just about that hot here with unbearable humidity.

About the only good place to be right now is in the pool. My wife has a freind that has a really nice inground pool. It needed some work so I volunteered my valuable time to go work on it for her. Funny thing is everything that needed doing required me to be in the pool to do it:rolleyes: :D

No flying today, but on the other hand I've stayed cool.

Guess it could be worse though, Our next ddor neighbors had their A/C go out on them today:(

I'll be working on some of my stuff here soon as my garage has A/C in it so I can go out there just about anytime!

Don Sims
07-15-2006, 11:37 PM
West TN was so hot we headed to Northern IN for the weekend. The heat followed us though! My dad and I were flying his full scale 182 this afternoon and it was in the 80's at altitude. Beer cooled us down after the flight though!

Grasshopper
07-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Beer is always a good coolant. It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Don Sims
07-16-2006, 02:09 AM
LOL GH! We were over your way a few weekends ago. Took the Valk to Springfield, MO and really enjoyed the trip!

skiman762
07-16-2006, 02:15 AM
Beer is always a good coolant. It's not just for breakfast anymore!
Yup
The one I had for breakfast wasn't bad so I had one more for dessert:D
it 9:15pm and 90 in the shade:eek:

Grasshopper
07-16-2006, 02:23 AM
LOL GH! We were over your way a few weekends ago. Took the Valk to Springfield, MO and really enjoyed the trip!

Yep, you were about 60 miles east of me.

aircruiser
07-17-2006, 10:36 PM
We were going to head out to South Dakota last weekend, but we went to Rochester instead. It was 96 there and turned out to be 116 where we were going. Ouch!

Grasshopper
07-17-2006, 11:12 PM
I've been home from work today. I peek out in the garage occasionally just to make sure my planes haven't melted and run down the walls. It's 102 degrees here now (in the shade).

COME ON FALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crash Test Dummy
07-18-2006, 01:19 AM
I wanted to maiden my new V-Diamond today . There is an RC Club just a few miles away from my office. However there was 15 MPH winds gusting to 26 MPH, not the best conditions for a maiden. Today the weather.com site said it was only 92 but the feels like tempature was 109!!!! Then the AC in our building shut down about an hour ago. Lucky for us that our business managers hubby was near by and has a HVAC business. He came by and had us cool'd off even before it started to get swampy. Tomorrow it only going to be in the mid to upper 80's. I should be able to get my maiden tomorrow AM before it heats up too much.

CTD

firemanbill
07-18-2006, 02:42 AM
Well I'm a glutton for punishment then.. Me and skiman both right Ed?

Drove down to NC to do some flying Yesterday with Ed and it was what about 90. Pretty stiff breeze as well so it made it feel like we had hairdryers blowing on us!

Had a blast though. Got to see Ed's highly modifed stick fly and got some pretty good aerial of his field there as well from my ss. As soon as I get it edited I'll post some of it.

Then had a great home cooked meal at his place when we were done and made a nice drive back to 'ol Virginny.

So moral of the stroy here is A. you can fly a slow stick in the wind, and a lot of it too, and B. you really can fly in the heat, and a lot of it too!!!

firemanbill
07-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Here is a snapshot from the slow stick at altitude. This is a still taken from the movie so clarity isn't that great. It sure was up there though!:eek:

booger
07-18-2006, 04:15 AM
we hit 107 today i haven't flew in 3 days it's killing me

Grasshopper
07-18-2006, 04:20 AM
Went out just before dark and flew three packs through my Cub with the LEDs on. It was dead calm and actually somewhat bearable after dark. Other than a couple of flights one early AM this weekend, I hadn't flown for 2 weeks. I told my wife tonight that I was having withdrawl symptoms and was going out at dark.

aircruiser
07-18-2006, 05:24 AM
Man, I haven't been flying my firebird commander 2 in a week! Thank you air hogs for the aero ace! If I didn't have that, I'd probably be going insane right now in a padded room.

booger
07-19-2006, 12:04 AM
well it only hit 103 today may fly this evening

crxmanpat
07-31-2006, 11:26 PM
OK, I know I'm late to the party, but you guys are all a bunch of lightweights! Here's what we had weekend before last:

Friday 7/21 - 118* (new record high)
Saturday 7/22 - 114* (new record high)
Sunday 7/23 - 112* (new record high)

Yes, I live in Arizona. Yes, I know it's a dry heat. But I flew Sat & Sun down in a "bowl" that was getting regular waterings, so it was humid too. Let's just say I get out at 6am and am done by 8am. When it's that hot out, a breeze feels like a blast furnace. You don't sweat, so there's no relief with moving air.

This past weekend was not so bad. Rain moved in this past week and cooled everything off (if 95* can be considered cool!). Only problem was, we then had 60-80% humidity all weekend. Still it did not deter me from flying. I even got to maiden my GWS DC-3 yesterday.

But you can tell it takes a toll on the equipment. Flights are now shorter so as not to tax the motors or batteries too much. My GWS Tiger Moth went in last weekend. Everything just stopped and I had no radio response at all. Just had to watch it spiral in. A little epoxy here and there and she's back to flying condition. And everything still works, so I think I just overheated the ESC and it shut down.

Grasshopper
07-31-2006, 11:31 PM
OK, I know I'm late to the party, but you guys are all a bunch of lightweights! Here's what we had weekend before last:

Friday 7/21 - 118* (new record high)
Saturday 7/22 - 114* (new record high)
Sunday 7/23 - 112* (new record high)

Yes, I live in Arizona. Yes, I know it's a dry heat. But I flew Sat & Sun down in a "bowl" that was getting regular waterings, so it was humid too. Let's just say I get out at 6am and am done by 8am. When it's that hot out, a breeze feels like a blast furnace. You don't sweat, so there's no relief with moving air.

This past weekend was not so bad. Rain moved in this past week and cooled everything off (if 95* can be considered cool!). Only problem was, we then had 60-80% humidity all weekend. Still it did not deter me from flying. I even got to maiden my GWS DC-3 yesterday.

But you can tell it takes a toll on the equipment. Flights are now shorter so as not to tax the motors or batteries too much. My GWS Tiger Moth went in last weekend. Everything just stopped and I had no radio response at all. Just had to watch it spiral in. A little epoxy here and there and she's back to flying condition. And everything still works, so I think I just overheated the ESC and it shut down.

OK, I hear people say that all the time "Yeah, but it's a dry heat". Doesn't matter, 118 degrees is still hot, dry or not!

firemanbill
08-01-2006, 03:30 AM
OK, I hear people say that all the time "Yeah, but it's a dry heat". Doesn't matter, 118 degrees is still hot, dry or not!

Yup, hot is hot, "Insert war story here" When I went to Saudi Arabia for Gulf War I we got off the plane in Dahran at 3 am and it was 118 on the ramp. I vaguley remember mumbling about it being cold at night in the desert and one of the ground crew gave me that look and sai it is cold!:eek: It got up to 132 that next day!

We saw a guy burst into flames!:eek: but they were dry flames:D ok I'm kidding about that part...

adhoc
08-01-2006, 05:29 AM
Okay, you all are making me feel bad for thinking it was hot here, where it got into the 90s on and off over the last few weeks. But hey, for the northwest, that's hot. And here's the kicker: they generally don't have A/C in the houses out here!! I'm new to the area, and when I realized this, I was like "WHAT?!?" :eek: Definitely a bad time to move, but we did...

Even if our heat wave was wimpy compared to what y'all are seeing, I still noticed the effects on flying. Both my Easy Star and my Twin Star II were dogging it -- mostly slower climbs, and needing more power to stay up... I thought that maybe my new props were the problem, but now that we're back in the 70s (60s in the early morning), my planes are flying great...

crxmanpat
08-01-2006, 05:31 AM
OK, I hear people say that all the time "Yeah, but it's a dry heat". Doesn't matter, 118 degrees is still hot, dry or not! You got that right brother!

We saw a guy burst into flames!:eek: but they were dry flames:DWhat a sick sense of humor you have sir! (Sir, listen to me, and I turn 40 on Friday :p )

crxmanpat
08-01-2006, 05:46 AM
OK, quick Air Force story. June/July 1991, Nellis AFB, NV. We are on a TDY from our base in Germany for a Green Flag excercise (just like Red Flag, but for the electronic warriors). Days were 115*, but on the tarmac it was more like 145*. And I don't even want to talk about how hot it was inside the plane when it was sitting idle. They had to bring in portable blowers just to keep air moving inside the plane. And all that electronic gear we had on board did not like heat at all, so once the plane was running, the A/C was working overtime!

All this in a full nomex flight suit with full survival gear. Boy I sure miss those days!

adhoc
08-01-2006, 05:11 PM
OK, quick Air Force story. . . . Days were 115*, but on the tarmac it was more like 145*. . . . All this in a full nomex flight suit with full survival gear. Boy I sure miss those days!Yikes! I bet you were thinking about Shemya after that! ;)

My Air Force stations were pretty boring: Wright-Patt, the Pentagon, TDYs to Langley, Boston... no overseas at all, and not really much operational stuff... I missed out... :(

crxmanpat
08-02-2006, 04:27 AM
I spent 3.5 years total in Germany. Language school at Monterey, CA. EC-130H combat training in Tucson (it was cool having the A-10s there, they would do bombing and gun practice right over the base sometimes! Plus the Air Force boneyard is there). The most boring assignment was 6 months in San Angelo, TX. Nothing much there.

During my time in Germany, I traveled all over Europe. I even got to go to the Paris Airshow in 1987.

crxmanpat
08-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Got a few pics from inside the EC-130H I was on. Excuse the quality as these are prints. Back in 1991 we had no such thing as digital cameras. :p

aviatordave
12-04-2006, 03:39 AM
Just thought I would revive this thread...to think Grasshopper was talking about extreme heat...now he has snow...lol :p

Its cold out aint it!

Dave

Grasshopper
12-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I think I missed Fall somewhere in this.

gsk11740
12-04-2006, 01:10 PM
Same here. Fall just sort of blew right by. It's 29 deg outside with a bitter 25mph wind. No more flying til spring here!

aircruiser
12-04-2006, 10:30 PM
16 degrees here and a only a slight hint of snow.

Good news is the super cub is back together and ready to fly again!

firemanbill
12-04-2006, 10:32 PM
16 degrees here and a only a slight hint of snow.

Good news is the super cub is back together and ready to fly again!

16! that's like spring for you isn't it AC?!:eek: ;)

aircruiser
12-05-2006, 12:35 AM
lol...well, with all this global warming going on, it is beginning to become uncomfortably warm in winter and summer. :eek:

firemanbill
12-05-2006, 12:40 AM
TRUE, VERY TRUE!

We went sailing this past summer on a charter and the Captain, a very wise and entertaining man, talked about how when he was young the Chesapeake bay froze over every winter and even had pictures to prove it.

I never would have believed that as it doesn't get anywhere near that cold now... I can never remember seeing it frozen and I'm no spring chiken either!

aircruiser
12-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Yeah, this is crazy stuff.

I remember when it would snow on Halloween. :eek:

And we once had a snowstorm on Halloween too!!

Now it looks like we'll have a half green half white Chistmas. :(