PDA

View Full Version : electric to gas

Dan365
07-17-2006, 01:26 AM
I have a new Walkera 37 electric helicopter and i now want to convert it to gas powered but is it possible? or would the engine,gas tank and extra servos be to complicated or expensive?
thank you to anyone who can help me
Dan

Mike Parsons
07-17-2006, 02:32 AM
Dan,
Hopefully someone has an answer for you, but you will probably get a faster response from a primary gas forum like RCU.

-Mike

Bill G
07-17-2006, 05:14 AM
I have a new Walkera 37 electric helicopter and i now want to convert it to gas powered but is it possible? or would the engine,gas tank and extra servos be to complicated or expensive?
thank you to anyone who can help me
Dan
W W Y W T D T?:eek:

Dan365
07-17-2006, 06:09 AM
umm so is that a no

Jeff Boyd 2
07-17-2006, 10:24 AM
Dan, as Bill G said . . "Why Would You Want To Do That"??? However, no reason why it couldn't be done. The glow motor will be harder on the mechanics (more vibration and EP is "softer" on drive systems) so I would expect you would need to beef up the frame, and maintenance is likely to be higher . .

I think the Walkera 37 would use something like an O.S. .10 or .15 engine . . I don't think they make a Heli engine in this size so use one designed for cars (they are common in this size). You will cook a normal airplane engine in a Heli, and the car engines have a heatsink head to aid cooling . .

Good luck . . it would be a tough and frustrating project I think . .

PS. if you want to convert a small electric Heli to gas . . this would be the one to do it with . . nice robust, light weight CNC metal construction . . http://www.totalerc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=1

jeholliday
02-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Dan365, as Bill G stated, "WHY"? Why not find someone who would trade you a IC version for your electric. I have been around the guys flying IC and electric. But, as stated also there is a lot of vibration from an IC engine. In all of them you get vibration from the rotors and the drive system, but, nothing like it would be with IC. My opinion from a devout FOX man. DOC Holliday

ragbag
02-17-2007, 07:36 AM
umm so is that a no

Plain words, not that is not a no, you are just in the wrong forum to ask such a question.

RCG would be the place to go:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php

They are into it and would be a big help. Used to hang out there till I went all electric.:)

.................................................. ...................