PDA

View Full Version : Need help on vehicle choices!

aircruiser
07-17-2006, 10:58 PM
I've been on the hunt for a good first vehicle for awhile now and have came down to a Jeep Wrangler. It is either that, a cherokee, a ram or a durango. If you all could, please help me decide if this is a good decision. A little background.

I'm a 15 year old who loves R/C. I love to go flying with my dad and little brother and love to drive my R/C trucks with my dad and little brother. I love to go offroad and have yet to get a job. I live in a suburb of Minneapolis, Minnesota and was born during a baby boom around here. Now jobs are really hard to come by. I have little to my name right now and started up my own business cleaning vehicles and watching and walking pets while their owners are gone. My vehicle cleaning business is going under since most people go to the new carwash. :( But my pet business is booming. Yeah, I'm 15 and work with pets. lol

But it does get good money and the customers seem to like that they get to choose the price. But I would use my jeep as a daily driver and on some road trips and minor offroading such as mud, dirt, etc. What do you think?

Oh yeah, here in Minnesota, 4WD is a must! :)

Thank you!

ForestCam
07-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Well I'd stay away from the Heeps simply because they have no frames (unibody construction), the Dodge's have frames and depending on the Ram (2500 - 3500) it may have a solid front axle.

I'm partial to Toyota's myself.

Here's my '86 with a solid axle swap, crossover steering, 33's and a Chevy 305 with a Turbo 350 transmission.
:D

aircruiser
07-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Mice rig! I'm a mopar man as you can tell. I like Fords and Chevys too. My dad had a cherokee and that was one of my favorite all time vehicles we had, besides our 04 ram we have now. It was the first vehicle I ever drove (when I was 6, on dad's lap) and it was pretty darn good off road too. I can't seem to find a toyota in my price range though, the best I seen for near $4,000 had 201,000 on it. Plus I'm more of an american automotive guy, just my opinion though.

Thanks!

-Grant

ForestCam
07-18-2006, 01:06 AM
I had an 85' 2WD (that I paid $400 for and drove for 4 years) that only had 72k on it before it broke in half from rust, I sold the engine to a guy for $300 and he put in a 4Runner with over 300k on it.

I run with some guys that buy Cherokees for next to nothing, beat the crap out of them in the woods then part them out for more then they have in to them.

aircruiser
07-18-2006, 01:17 AM
So you'd recomend a 4runner over a cherokee? What engine does your 86 have?

ForestCam
07-18-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm in the process of looking for a 4Runner for my wife right now, problem is the people that have them don't seem to want to part with 'em. I've seen 2002 loaded S-10 Blazers w/ under 100k going for under 5 grand but an 89 4Runner with 150k will set me back over 8! :eek:

My Toy has a Chevy 305 out of a '78 Malibu with 48k that I gave $50 for and the junk yard gave me $30 for the body! http://home.comcast.net/~forestcam2/laughing.gif

Believe it or not I've got over $4,000 invested in my truck.

TLyttle
07-18-2006, 02:34 AM
Look around yourself, kid, and see what is still working out there. I started with old flathead Fords, and the current parallel has to be toyota pigups. They are usually cheap, and if they make noise they will run. (Half a million k's on my last one) They are tough, they are reliable, and when you are finished with it as a truck, build another car on top of the chassis (pics to follow)!

ForestCam
07-18-2006, 03:03 AM
The thing to look out for with Toyotas is rotten frames especially since you're in the rust belt too. Being a box frame they tend to hold mud, dirt and moisture. Poke around on the frame with a screwdriver between the cab and the box, the spring perches and the rear shock mounts. If the seller takes offence to this just walk away. I've seen many a toytoa in the junk yard that has a perfect body but when you get under it you can rip chunks out of the frame with your bare hands.
When I bought my truck it was supposed to only have a quarter sized hole in the frame which ended up needing the entire frame plated, except the top, all the way from under the cab to the bumper brackets. Luckily I have a welder, a supply of 1/8" steel and access to a plasma torch.:D

firemanbill
07-18-2006, 03:40 AM
Yeah, I'm 15 and work with pets. lol

Thank you!

Aircruiser I commend you young man! There are not many young fellas as motivated as you to work to get things they want in life. And there isn't anything wrong with taking care of peoples four legged loved ones!

Can't help you much on a vehicle choice other than to say I have a 91 Ford F-150 4x4. I picked it up a couple of years ago for about 2 grand and it is one heck of a tough truck. I can go just about anywhere I want with it but it is not a rock crawler... lol. Plus I have a camper shell on the back and can carry my stuff about anywhere I want to. Just went to North Carloina and back with 4 of my birds and flew with Skiman and some other fellas yesterday.

aircruiser
07-18-2006, 05:18 AM
Thanks all!

That F-150 of yours is in nice shape for its age, 15 years, I feel old now saying that. lol

Most F-150s around here are basically a running chassis and rust holes galore. I was looking into a bronco, but decided against it. My father is strictly mopar, some Fords, like the ranger. I am also looking at a 1st gen durango too. My parents had an 02 with the 4.7 in it and it ran very smooth and always worked well. I think that's be a perfect truck for me.

I also forgot to include that I have a little brother whos best friend just moved to chaska and my parents would like me to drive him there once a week. I'm not complaining, just saying I'll need extra space in the cab. Probably at least 5 seats minimum.

Thanks all for the help! Oh yeah, and if you'd like to check out what my pet business is like, I just got a site up. www.freewebs.com/petsparadisemn (http://www.freewebs.com/petsparadisemn) incase any of you'd like to take a peak. Thanks again!

-Grant

vax6335
07-18-2006, 05:43 AM
Well I'd stay away from the Heeps simply because they have no frames (unibody construction), the Dodge's have frames and depending on the Ram (2500 - 3500) it may have a solid front axle.

I'm partial to Toyota's myself.

Here's my '86 with a solid axle swap, crossover steering, 33's and a Chevy 305 with a Turbo 350 transmission.
:D

Jeeps do have frames. I used to work on them when I worked for Chrysler. And I have a 98 Wrangler.