PDA

View Full Version : higher mAH Batteries

sailpwrd
08-29-2005, 02:59 AM
I am flying a slow stick with a GWS 8.4v 180 mAH battery, can I up the mAH to get longer fly time without hurting the equip?

titan74
08-29-2005, 02:16 PM
I think you can as long as you stay with 8.4v.. good luck.. by the way some batt pack with higher mah also increase in weight.

U2Steve
08-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Although kind of expensive( if you don't have a proper charger), a 2-cell 700-800 Li-Po pack will triple (or better!) your flight time with almost no weight penalty!

The Slow Stick can easily handle a 2-cell Kokam 1500mah pack. You may have to tweak the battery mount to keep the CG in place, but you'll get MUCH longer flights.

If you want to stick to nickel-based batteries, a 7- or 8-cell 720 NiMH pack will give a Slow Stick a good 10-15 minute flight- it's what I used before going to Li-Po's.

Steve

Dr Kiwi
08-29-2005, 08:34 PM
If you place the battery mount right at the CG, it doesn't matter what size pack you then use, 'cos it will ALWAYS be centered on the CG. A stock GWS 300/D geared, Slow stick can carry 7-cell 1050 KAN's without trouble.

Cheers, Phil

rahtware
08-30-2005, 06:49 PM
CG is the trick...

A Slow Stick can carry an amazing amount of weight. But, if it isn't ballanced properly it turns into a real dog that won't get off the ground... I fly mine with GWS 600s with no problem except that (in the stock setup) the battery wants to be slung where the landing gear is. I played around with the setup, but the only way I found to make it work was to extend the nose about 2".

U2Steve
08-30-2005, 09:10 PM
Larry-
If it's possible, sliding the wingmounts (and everything else in the way) back on the fuselage stick does the same thing, balance-wise. My "mistake" was getting everything balanced, then drilling holes and screwing all the plastic pieces to the aluminum. Nothing moves out of place now, whether I want it to or not! Now I have to keep the battery weight within narrow limits, because I'm limited as to where it can go. But Li-po packs have twice the run-time of metal-hydrides, at the same weight!