PDA

View Full Version : Video 101 (Lets Make a Movie)

Kosh
07-19-2006, 05:51 AM
Part 1

So this topic comes up all the time and I hope to cover some of the basics about it here with your help. This is by no means a complete guide as I learn something every time I make a video. If you know of any tricks, programs or other insights that might be useful please fill us all in here.

Formats:

There are 4 main formats the majority of digital camera use and it all depends on what format you have as to how it might be converted to a movie. For right now lets stick with the .MOV format as its pretty common. This needs to be converted to work with "Windows Movie Maker" or other program but its not a big deal as it can be done for free with "Windows Media Encoder" http://www.soft32.com/download_980.html

Once the encoder is installed open the program and select "Convert a File"
Next browse your folder that holds video, Its not showing yet and you have to click from the bottom screen from files of types and hit "All Files".
Now it shows up and you you can hit next. It will just convert the file to the same folder and you don't lose the original. The next screen should just be "File download" and hit next.
We are now to Encoding Options were you can change the video and audio. The default is high definition and thats fine but uses much more space than needed on the net and hard drive. For video I use the 2Mbps VBR with good results and CD Quality if I plan to keep the sound track. If you don't plan on using original sound opt for voice quality instead and save some space. Hit next after you choice and you can put any info about your project in there. Thats all there is to the convert part, Hit Finish and let it do its thing. Now this may take some time depending on how big the file is and how fast a computer you have so don't plan much once its running as its very close to 100% CPU load.

"Windows Movie Maker"

Ok so we have our video converted and are ready for the fun part now. If you have windows XP you have movie maker already but there are a few updates for that you might want to check for first. Movie Maker should be started after a reboot with as few programs running in the background as possible as its a CPU hog when rendering the final movie cut.
Open MM and hit tools at the top, Then titles and credits and hit "title at the beginning" fill in as needed and hit done. You will see the file on the storyboard or timeline at the bottom "1st photo". This title can be dragged to make it the size you want but 5 seconds is enough most times. Now drag your video to the center section and let it go, Still with me I hope? Drag the video again straight down next to the title and let it go.
Your video is now on the storyboard and can be edited in short time. Play the video till you get to a part you don't want and hit pause. You can go frame by frame to find just the right spot and hit the cut button just under the blue video screen. Now play it again till you find a good spot and hit cut again. You can just right click on the bad part and delete the whole segment. Keep working this process till you reach the end then hit the play button and see what you have so far.
Add or remove video till your happy with the playback then add the ending credits if wanted. Now is were the storyboard/ timeline button comes into play, Click it to show timeline. Our goal here is to use the "Video Transitions and Video Effects" to best suite the video or your tastes. Use the drop down menu on top and try a few, Its just a simple drag a drop on the timeline between the segments of video. Were getting there but not done just yet. Part II coming up.

Kosh
07-19-2006, 06:48 AM
Part II

Soundtrack:

There are some choices to make about the sound. If your video is not too cut up and you want to use the sound you have already you still might pick up a few tips here. Drag and drop your music to the center just like you did for the video. At this point you can mix both soundtracks, Have just music and even add voice overs. Switch back to storyboard and drag the music to the lowest line on storyboard. At the point you let go is were the music will start on the movie and don't worry if your song is too long.
Go to the end of the song and put cursor right on soundtrack and drag it from right to left and remove any extra there.
Now I know this sounds like lots effort but its really not that hard once you try it. Play your video again and make sure its just the way you want it before you go any farther.

Onto saving the movie, Top left of screen hit file, then "save movie file". The photos below show the steps in order with the movie setting screen being the last. I like to use "Video for local playback (2.1 Mbps)" for broadband and "Video for broadband (340Kbps)" for dial up. Experiment and see what works best here. You can make lots of different versions by just changing the saved name slightly. Hitting next starts the video rendering and the heavy CPU load so let the program do its thing now. Hopefully in around 10 minutes or so its completed and you can try your first movie now. If your not happy go back and make the needed changes at this time and try again. Like I said this is by no means a complete guide but should be just enough to get you going on your first project.
Ok guys feel free to add where I screwed up, shortcuts and programs.

Hope that helps a few, Kosh

Kosh
07-19-2006, 06:52 AM
By now some of you are scratching there heads wondering what the heck I'm talking about. Just follow the pics and try it yourself or ask here if you need some more help. My fingers are shot for the night so good luck ... lol

Grasshopper
07-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Very timely Kosh!

Thanks.

kc10boom
07-24-2006, 03:52 PM
This is some excellant advise, thank you for posting it. I used all your advise except, I could not get the Windows media encoder to decode quicktime. I searched and found another that works great. Thanks again

Kosh
07-25-2006, 06:08 AM
I could not get the Windows media encoder to decode quicktime. I searched and found another that works great.

So please fill us in on what worked for you and save others a little time hunting. I know there are a few computers Media Encoder just wont work on so please feel free list what programs you use here.

aviatordave
07-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Here is a question that has plagued me. (sort of video related)

When we download a video, why suggest 'right mouse click, save target as...'

At work I have a T3 connection, whether I right mouse click or just open the video from your page, its the same speed either way.....

Let me know when you get a chance

Dave

Rugar
07-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Great Tutorial Kosh!

I use a program called "Video Cleaner" to convert "mov" files (Quick-time) over to the "wmv" format. Then I use "Windows Movie Maker" to edit the video. There is a free trial version of Video Cleaner but it leaves a small water mark on your video and only lets you convert 2 mins worth of video at a time. I bought the full version for $29.95 and am very happy with the way it works.
http://www.riverpast.com/en/prod/videocleaner/index.php

Rugar
07-28-2006, 06:30 PM
Here is a question that has plagued me. (sort of video related)

When we download a video, why suggest 'right mouse click, save target as...'

At work I have a T3 connection, whether I right mouse click or just open the video from your page, its the same speed either way.....

Let me know when you get a chance

Dave

I'm no expert by any means, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The way I understand it is that some people have limited bandwidth on the sites where the video is hosted. If it is played directly from the site to many times in a certain time period, the hosting site may not let it be viewed any more until a certain amount of time is passed. Also some videos will not run as smooth as they do when you play them back directly off your hard drive.

Kosh
07-28-2006, 07:18 PM
Good call on the Video Cleaner and bandwidth Rugar, The main reason I do that is for the dailups and those that want to keep the videos. I know my site is fast enough to stream off of for those with faster connections but that doesnt mean you will get smooth playback every time. I think if I didnt put the "right click" there would be all kinds of questions about accessing the files. Playing the videos off the hard drive just seems like a sure thing to me as I'm unsure what would happen if say 20 people try and stream a video at the same time. Hope that clears a few things up.

aviatordave
10-29-2006, 02:13 PM
here is some more useful info about MS MovieMaker...I found this today -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/moviemaker/getstarted/default.mspx

very neat!

Dave

rahtware
10-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Darn, now I will have to clean up my videos or look the fool...:D

Thanks guys, and a big thanks to kosh! I have played with MM, but I now feel like I can produce much better clips... And I promise to not go overboard with the video effects!;)

rahtware
10-29-2006, 05:09 PM
You've created a monster!

Spent all morning playing with WMM!!

Here is a short (30sec) of a few titles and transtions I did. This is not the video, these T&Ts were cut out of the movie and stuck together just to show some of my progress.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1352393015

As of now, 9:09 AM, MySpace videos is offline, please try later.

Kosh
11-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Well done, Once you really try the basics its fairly easy to add whats needed. Movie Maker is a little finicky sometimes so hit the save button after every step and you wont loose your work.

aviatordave
11-02-2006, 02:08 PM
I have Pinnacle Studio 10 as well as Movie maker on my PC. I find myself using moviemaker all the time because its so easy and gives good enough results for me. Besides doing Aerial videos, I also record family events, kids sports...etc. and post them on my website for my family thats spread around the country.

Dave

aviatordave
11-06-2006, 02:50 AM
Did some playing with moviemaker. Took this video today....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Kt3OxCVgc

I cant upload to my website, so youtube will have to work for now.

Kosh
11-06-2006, 03:09 AM
Loved it, You have it down now thats for sure. Was that a sign that jumped out in front you on landing.:eek:
The shadow on takeoff and climb is fantastic and looks great. Nice job all the way through Dave but next time bring your fearless dog to watch your backside. :)

aviatordave
11-06-2006, 03:59 AM
Ya, I just about hit the pole!...I was worried about the overhead wires more than anything....never give your guard up!

Dave

Check out the shadow next to the pole!

rahtware
11-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Great climb-rate! What do you have powering that bird???

aviatordave
11-06-2006, 01:14 PM
he he...no such thing as too much power!

The plane is a magpie AP, the motor is a Himax 2025-4200, its got a gearbox - 6.6:1 ratio so it turns a 12 x 8e APC prop. The beauty of a gearbox is lots of power at low amps...I only pull 17 amps at WOT. That takeoff in the video was at 2/3-3/4 throttle, I hardly ever use full throttle. I can get away with a lower 'C' battery that way...which means less weight and cheaper. Some dont like the gearbox's on motors because of slop, maint. gears wearing down, vibrations...etc - but I have had this combo for over a year and like it.

Dave

stinkweed007
11-06-2006, 01:50 PM
but back to the subject... I have found the video software from Magix to be the most versitile and affordable software out there.. I have their MusicMaker and Movie software to cut, sync and convert all of my video stuff. www.magix.com (http://www.magix.com)

Mike Parsons
11-06-2006, 02:14 PM
A great forum for MM is http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ShowForumGroup.aspx?ForumGroupID=1

They have additional transitions and tricks to MM that have helped step up my videos.

Good thread guys!

aviatordave
11-09-2006, 06:17 PM
The new release of Internet Explorer 7 seems to cause Movie Maker to function improperly on some machines. So be aware of this if you upgrade to this. I'm not savy enough to explain why, but sometimes I wait awhile when something new shows up so they can work the bugs out.

just a little tidbit of info I thought I'd share......

Dave

rahtware
11-09-2006, 08:29 PM
IE???? Think Firefox and Thunderbird... Get rid of all the holes that Bill builds into his programs... IS should be called SC... Swiss Cheese!

aviatordave
11-09-2006, 08:46 PM
IE???? Think Firefox and Thunderbird... Get rid of all the holes that Bill builds into his programs... IS should be cald SC... Swiss Cheese!

Agreed! I use Firefox exclusively, much easier IMHO

TManiaci
01-21-2007, 01:11 AM
There is a nice thread on shootong good video, video formats, examples of vids, camera selection, editing... etc.

Check it HERE (http://www.teamflyingcirkus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269).

Geoff_Gino
02-08-2007, 05:56 AM
Hi Kosh

Here's the thing. My camera runs on Apple Quicktime and the files have a .mov extension.

I have tried a few different files of the same format but keep getting the same error "this is not a valid source file. One or more codecs are required"

Do you have a fix or perhaps know where I can find a codec for Apple Quicktime.
Thanks

Kosh
02-08-2007, 06:09 AM
Hi Geoff, Try the propgram called Super. You can read about it and find the link here. If that does'nt work for you please let me know.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14292

Geoff_Gino
02-08-2007, 06:43 AM
OK Kosh

Download is fine and I tried 2 .mov files, but Windows Movie Maker does not recognise the saved output file.

Geoff_Gino
02-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Kosh

Here is the error message:

The file C:\Program Files\eRightSoft\SUPER\OutPut\100_0160.mov.MOV is not a supported file type, and it cannot be imported into Windows Movie Maker.

Kosh
02-08-2007, 07:09 AM
So you havent tried windows media encoder?

Its the first link on this thread, To make that work when you select a .MOV you must hit view all files from the drop down menu.

Geoff_Gino
02-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Kosh

Tried that yesterday without success. I think I am getting the file extensions all screwed up.

Geoff_Gino
02-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Windows media keeps telling me the .mov is not a supported file.

Geoff_Gino
02-08-2007, 07:14 AM
The videos play on Quicktime version 6.4

Kosh
02-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Windows media will support it, Try again and follow the screen shots.

Geoff_Gino
02-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Doing all of that and in your last screen shot, when I hit next I get the error:

Kosh
02-08-2007, 07:45 AM
Just for the heck of it try changing the file name and see if that works. I'm really not sure what else is out there besides buying Quicktime and using it own converter.

Geoff_Gino
02-08-2007, 07:49 AM
No luck, but I am not going to through in the towel just yet.

Kosh
02-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Can you upload the file someplace so I can try and convert it?

Geoff_Gino
02-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Thanks Kosh

No need to do that, perseverance paid off and it worked.
Used the Super download and when I got the naming conventions and extensions correct, it imported with no problem.

Thanks for the assist.

Kosh
02-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Well glad something worked for you on this and only too happy to help. :)

aviatordave
07-16-2007, 05:09 AM
If any of you use You Tube, this may be interesting in keeping some quality and fighting compression.

http://www.squidoo.com/youtuberight/

Kosh
07-16-2007, 05:57 AM
Thanks for sharing that Dave, Its a great writeup with lots of useful info.:cool:

FlyingMonkey
07-26-2007, 09:50 PM
I have an Apple, but I want to edit my videos, what oh what can I do?

Kosh
07-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Other than seeing a Apple once I know nothing about them but found a few links to get you going. ;)

http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/

http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-3670_7-0.html

http://www.internetvideomag.com/ProductReviews/iMovie-Page_10001.htm

http://www.gizmos2go.com/product.php?productid=2000&MMCF_Nextag

FlyingMonkey
07-27-2007, 03:36 PM
searching for info?

now THERE'S a novel idea :D

I will check these out. I had been looking for .mov editors, and mjpeg editors, etc. You probably did better than I did though.