PDA

View Full Version : It's a great time to get into RC Planes!

Stevephoon
08-29-2005, 04:41 AM
Just a few observations.

This summer my son and I bought our first RC Plane. A Firebird Commander from Hobbyzone. I could never wait for my son to finish flying, so we also bought an Aerobird. Now we dog fight and have a blast! It's been an enjoyable summer and I did not expect to spend so much time with my 12 year old son. (I'm not cool anymore, so anytime we do something together it's great! ;))

I grew up flying, building, designing line control 049 planes. I could not afford the real RC planes. I only dreamed about them. Now, I can't believe what you can buy. Complete RTF planes start at about $100. The price of good quality RC equipment is falling and electric technology/batteries/motors is getting better too. Electrics is definitely the best way to go when starting out. Safer and no noise. We can fly at parks and school yards, when no one else is there.

I'd just like to say thanks to all of the designers and companies working on RC electric planes. I just can't believe what you can buy today as compared to 20 to 25 years ago.

Steve (But my son now calls me Crash)

debhicks
08-29-2005, 05:00 AM
Well it is stories like yours that encourage parents to get out and do things with their kids instead of letting them vegitate in front of a video game.

It is a good thing you are doing in such a messed up time. Keep interacting and it will be what he remembers most. But your memories will be priceless. It certainly warms my heart, alot.

EpoweredRc
08-29-2005, 05:22 AM
Just a few observations.

This summer my son and I bought our first RC Plane. A Firebird Commander from Hobbyzone. I could never wait for my son to finish flying, so we also bought an Aerobird. Now we dog fight and have a blast! It's been an enjoyable summer and I did not expect to spend so much time with my 12 year old son. (I'm not cool anymore, so anytime we do something together it's great! ;))

I grew up flying, building, designing line control 049 planes. I could not afford the real RC planes. I only dreamed about them. Now, I can't believe what you can buy. Complete RTF planes start at about $100. The price of good quality RC equipment is falling and electric technology/batteries/motors is getting better too. Electrics is definitely the best way to go when starting out. Safer and no noise. We can fly at parks and school yards, when no one else is there.

I'd just like to say thanks to all of the designers and companies working on RC electric planes. I just can't believe what you can buy today as compared to 20 to 25 years ago.

Steve (But my son now calls me Crash)

What a touching story,:) Welcome to the site,and yes it is a great time to get into the hobby I'm glad you and your son have had so much fun. keep flying.:D

RATA
08-29-2005, 06:44 AM
This summer my son and I bought our first RC Plane.

That’s fantastic. I am glad to hear that there are still parents out there who still seem to value quality time with their children.

I to share and fly RC planes with my two boys 9 and 14. My 14 year old is moving in to a more aerobatic model while my 9 years old fly’s his own Piper Cub.

I get just as much satisfaction watching there jaws wiggle from side to side while they fly, as I do myself.

Tailspin Ken
08-29-2005, 08:15 AM
;) And it will only get better!

Ken

titan74
08-29-2005, 12:38 PM
I already have 3 planes now. Can't wait for my son to come over for his vacation.

Welcome to the site "crash"

nova801428
09-10-2005, 10:07 PM
the "aerobird' will be useless after a crash because none of the electronis are good only the battery. not recommended plane, you will learn more if you buy a slowstick-$35 2 servos-$25 esc,receiver,crystal,lipo battery-$65 futaba 7cap (7model memory/digital)-$150 free shipping and handling-$5 off coupon
Total:$270
NOTHINGS CHEAP Go to ALLERC.COM

Twmaster
09-11-2005, 03:05 AM
Just a few observations.

It's been an enjoyable summer and I did not expect to spend so much time with my 12 year old son. (I'm not cool anymore, so anytime we do something together it's great! ;))

Hehe that's great! Enjoy the hobby, it just gets to be more and more fun as you roll along. Welcome aboard!

DoctorFive
09-28-2005, 03:47 AM
Great thread. My best flying buddy is my 26 year old son!

Also started with .049 control line planes in my youth. I agree, it's a great time to get into RC planes. Can't imagine what the future will bring us!

Jerry

Twmaster
09-28-2005, 04:03 AM
Can't imagine what the future will bring us!

Why of course the answer is More Planes!!!

:p

watt_the?!
09-28-2005, 04:25 AM
............... (I'm not cool anymore, so anytime we do something together it's great! ;))

(But my son now calls me Crash)

ahhh i know it all too well.... not being cool n such. the thing is, I AM COOL, and i am sure that you are cool too Steve...you and me are just riding it out eh?...just waiting to be cool again..

:D

watt_the?!
09-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Great thread. My best flying buddy is my 26 year old son!

Also started with .049 control line planes in my youth. I agree, it's a great time to get into RC planes. Can't imagine what the future will bring us!

Jerry

Doc- are you cool now then?

When was it that you became cool again?

pace_likethesalsa
09-28-2005, 05:15 AM
I kinda wish i had gotten the one with the xport so my dad could get one and we could battle... maybe the next one will be a slow-v or mustang for me and a firebird commander for him

fabricator
09-29-2005, 02:11 AM
I just got into electric RC in july, I bought a sky zap, it has two motors the only control is one of the motors speeds up when you turn, I since graduated to a yardstick which is a blast, anyway I fly in a field outback and one of my neighbors kids came over and was blown away by the whole thing, so I let him fly the sky zap, the kid was absolutely vibrating he was so excited, I ended up giving him the sky zap and taught him about charging the batteries and everything, the next night his dad came with him and now he is buying a yardstick and some of the other neighbor kids are showing up and flying the sky zap, I think I have created a monster, now alot of times when I get home from work there will be 3 or 4 kids waiting around wanting to fly.:eek:

pace_likethesalsa
09-29-2005, 02:33 AM
the "aerobird' will be useless after a crash because none of the electronis are good only the battery. not recommended plane, you will learn more if you buy a slowstick-$35 2 servos-$25 esc,receiver,crystal,lipo battery-$65 futaba 7cap (7model memory/digital)-$150 free shipping and handling-$5 off coupon
Total:$270
NOTHINGS CHEAP Go to ALLERC.COM

I find your post to be counterproductive and threadcrapping. I have a firebird, close cousin of the aerobird, and can vouch for it's ridiculous amount of crash proofing.

Also, instead of saying someone's first plane is crap, you can instead say welcome to the hobby, and recommend a next plane. Your attitude was a bit off.

Hate to look like a backseat mod here, but I have always prefered communities with a more amiable personality

fabricator
09-29-2005, 03:29 AM
I find your post to be counteractive and threadcrapping. I have a firebird, close cousin of the aerobird, and can vouch for it's ridiculous amount of crash proofing.

Also, instead of saying someone's first plane is crap, you can instead say welcome to the hobby, and recommend a next plane. Your attitude was a bit off.

Hate to look like a backseat mod here, but I have always prefered communities with a more amiable personality

+1:)

Twmaster
09-29-2005, 03:33 AM
I find your post to be counteractive and threadcrapping. I have a firebird, close cousin of the aerobird, and can vouch for it's ridiculous amount of crash proofing.

Agreed! Well said!

http://www.expediterworld.com/forums/images/smiles/clap_1.gif

blboise
10-01-2005, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by pace_likethesalsa

I entered this hobby because of the price of a "Commander", now have other planes but still fly the commander -- it's trained two other "newbie" pilots and is still going strong.

w1gom
10-01-2005, 11:05 PM
For me it is a great time to get BACK into RC and flying. Started in the late 50's and then other things came up..... So here we are with a new electric setup and looking forward to many fun hours of flying.

Tinlid
10-03-2005, 02:21 AM
Yes it is a great time my 2 grandsons crash them... pop replace's them and it's not about what model or what electrics are involved it's the companionship and the time spent together and the fun of it all remember we all had to crawl before we could walk and.....LONG LIVE THE COMMANDER!!!!!

Duster52
10-07-2005, 10:13 AM
I find your post to be counterproductive and threadcrapping. I have a firebird, close cousin of the aerobird, and can vouch for it's ridiculous amount of crash proofing.

I was about to jump in here, but, instead, THUMPS UP AND WELL SAID!!!!!