PDA

View Full Version : Hyperion Chipmunk 70e

JoseLG
07-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Anyone have see the new 70 size Hyperion Chipmunk?.
http://www.allerc.com/chip70.htm

I think it would be a great plane with lots of grunt with the suggested powerplant.

JoseLG
07-21-2006, 09:39 AM
I couldn´t resist the tentation and ordered one with the full power set.
I`ll post my findings when received.
Good winds for all.
José L.G.

JoseLG
07-31-2006, 07:29 AM
I`ve just received the plane.

It is big.;)

I`ll weight the parts this afternoom and post tomorrow.

Good winds.
José L.G.

JoseLG
08-01-2006, 07:47 AM
As promised, here are the weights of my model:

Left wing...........................307 grams (10.83 oz)
right wing..........................281 grams (9.92 oz)
tail feathers.......................137 grams (4.83 oz)
fuse..................................395 grams (13.93 oz)
motor cowl..........................88 grams (3.10 oz)
Cabin (uncut).......................50 grams (1.76 oz)
wheel spats.........................48 grams (1.69 oz)
accesories (In bags)............200 grams (7.06 oz)

Total plane...............1506 grams (53.12 oz)

Motor................................355 grams (12.52 oz)
ESC...................................48 grams (1.69 oz)
Prop adaptor.......................25 grams (0.88 oz)
Front motor mount..............143 grams (5.05 oz)
Connectors..........................12 grams (0.42 oz)

Total accesories..........583 grams (20.56 oz)

Grand total...............2089 grams (73.68 oz)

Also you need a prop, spinner and batteries to add. Also I`ll need some weight to balance latterally the plane.

I´ll take some pics of the plane as work progress.

I´ll be out a week. Please be patient and post your own findings.

Good winds.
José L.G.

Nitro Blast
08-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Please let us know!

We just got the KATANA and are impressed.

JoseLG
09-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Here are some pics of the plane and building.

Sorry, but I have problems with the pics size :( . I`ll work on it the weekend and post (Try!) again.

JLG

JoseLG
09-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Well, here you can find a few pics of the wing panels.
In the second pic you can see the torque block of the landing gear.
In the third pic you (almost) can see the fiber-glass wing tip.
JLG

JoseLG
09-05-2006, 07:25 AM
More pics. You can see the lightweight desing, intended for electric. In the third pic you can see the foam turtle deck. Also you can see the servo tray and cockpit access.

JLG

JoseLG
09-05-2006, 07:37 AM
Hereare some pics of the cowl, cabin, spats and stab and fin-rudder, and the landing gear wires/wheels.
JLG

JoseLG
09-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Here you can see the accesories supplied in the kit box.

Pics 1 and 2 are the wood pieces. Pic 3 is the hardware and pic4 are the pusrods.
JLG

JoseLG
09-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Begins the building:
1 and 2, cut the covering in the servo bay and exit of the servo wires.
Glue the hinges in the slots (ailerons). Drill pilot holes for the servo and the landing wire straps. Mine was missing in the kit.
Previosly I`ve noted the difference in weight between the wings. When working in the ailerons I noted the difference in weight in the ailerons. So I drilled the aileron for reducing weight. In the begining I think on glue a picece of lead in the wing-tip, but as I mentioned earlier is fiberglass, so I opted for drilling the aileron.
Install some type of string for pulling the servo leads.
Next glue the two wings using the spar supplied.

JoseLG
09-06-2006, 08:33 AM
More pics.
1-Slot for the fin and stab. In the base you can see the slot for the fin-post.
2-Slot in the stab for the fin-post and tail-wheel wire.
3-Stab and fin glued with tail wheel wire.
4-Motor mount. The instruction don`t tell the distance from the firewall to prop back. I need to put back the front of the motor mount to ensure correct distance. Probably cutting the motor shaft or back-mounting the motor can help.
5-Rudder and elevator servos.
6-I made a support for the elevator pushrod. I put it in the middle of the fuse using the opening for air venting.
7-Gluing the pieces of ply that support the tip of the landing wire.
8-9-General view of the pilot in the cockpit area and cowl.

imodel
09-15-2006, 02:58 PM
JoseLG - any more progress on the Chippy? Would be great to know if you have flown it!

Cheers!

JoseLG
09-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi,
I have not any progrees in the plane. I`m waiting for the spinner and batteries.
I`ll post when I manage to work on the plane.
JLG

rcers
09-18-2006, 03:41 PM
What a fantastic looking plane! Great job and thanks for the pics!

Mike

electricpaps
05-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi JLG,

Looks like this thread has gone to sleep, what happened ?
The photos and text are really good, great job. You must have finished and been flying by now I guess? Where did you get the Pilot?

I've just purchased this model (sale price fom All e RC) for a motor set I already have available. I'd been looking around for something to replace the plane it was in before (and which stupidly came to a sad end as a lot of them do don't they) and this seems perfect. Heres the power set:
Motor : Hyperion Z4025-12
ESC: HP Titan PSB 80A cool bec 4A
Batt : Hyperion 20C 4000mAh 3S (I have 2 which can be connected in series)
Prop : I have an APC 14 x 8 from the previous plane.

I guess I'll be starting to build shortly.

I'd appreciate any comments, flying info and so on.

Happy flying
Paul

JoseLG
05-15-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi JLG,

Looks like this thread has gone to sleep, what happened ?
The photos and text are really good, great job. You must have finished and been flying by now I guess? Where did you get the Pilot?

I've just purchased this model (sale price fom All e RC) for a motor set I already have available. I'd been looking around for something to replace the plane it was in before (and which stupidly came to a sad end as a lot of them do don't they) and this seems perfect. Heres the power set:
Motor : Hyperion Z4025-12
ESC: HP Titan PSB 80A cool bec 4A
Batt : Hyperion 20C 4000mAh 3S (I have 2 which can be connected in series)
Prop : I have an APC 14 x 8 from the previous plane.

I guess I'll be starting to build shortly.

I'd appreciate any comments, flying info and so on.

Happy flying
Paul

Hi Paul.
I`ve been out of modeling for a few months now (personal issues).

Well, Er... I`ve not finished the plane, yet. I was planning finishing this weekend. Really not much to do, Put the decals and balancing. Really I don`t like very much the prop (APC sport 14x8), because weights a lot. Yesterday I ordered a series of Aeronaut "Power Prop" in that size for testing.
The pilot is a Williams Bros (1:5 scale) that I have from a previos project (a Piper J3). I bought two and used only one.

Thanks a lot for your comments. I`ll try to continue the work.
José L.G.
Spain

electricpaps
05-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the reply José,

I'll look into the prop issue, its a good point. It looks like we'll be completing our Chippies at around the same time. I'll let you know (and the other sleepy guys :silly: on this thread) how I get on.

Paul

Kjetil
05-25-2007, 10:42 AM
This is my nr 1 in my " must have list". Looking forward to read moore from you guys.

JoseLG
05-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I have been confirmed that the props have been shipped. I Think next week will be here.

I have changed the elevator pushrod with a carbon tube and a cross member in the tail end (Slot in fuse) and used a pair of individual pusrods.

At this moment I can`t continue building it because I have a motorbike crash.
Regards

electricpaps
06-08-2007, 07:45 AM
I maidened my chippy on saturday. The thing flies nicely right off the
board, just a tiny amount of aileron trim needed http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif . Landing was OK but it
just toppled over onto the prop as it came to a standstill. No damage.

I started with the APC 14x8 (lots of power) and then went to a 13x8 which is more than enough for test flights. Still takes off easily with just over 1/2 throttle.

2nd flight on Sunday. Tried a few loops and rolls, and stuff. The plane
really is stable and reassuring to fly. I couldn't get it to stall up in
the air, just a tiny dip of the left wing and its back in flight. My C of G
is at about 95mm and all up weight is 3295g. Inverted flight requires fair
amount of down elevator, I guess it will require less when I start to move
the C of G back?

This time the landing was less successful, chippy rubbed his nose hard in
the grass http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif . The wheel spats popped and turned and made some holes in the
wing oracover. After checking it turned out that I'd mounted the landing
gear wires inverted (left to right and right to left). The wheels where
only just a couple of mm in front of the C of G. I turned them around and the
wheels are now almost aligned with the leading edge. After that the next
two landings where fine, the tail sticking to the ground nicely. Now I've
got the landing gear right I'll epoxy the wires into the wing to avoid
play.

Here's a few photos. You can see my extra canopy fixing dowel and safety
pin. We'll see how it works with knife edge flight when I get to that. The pilot is from an old pair of shoulders from a crashed plane years ago, but I didn't have the head. My son now has one "headless" skate board Action Man.

I'm getting 10 to 15 min flights from my 2 x 3S1P 4000 mAh packs in series.
I can charge them at 2C using seperate balancers for each pack. I tried
this for the first time on Sunday and it seems to work OK. 2C charging to
95% capacity only takes 30 min. I waited for the lipos to cool down
beforehand though. During charging (7 amps max, not quite 2C) they never got more than slightly warm. Anyone else have any experience of this Hyperion 2C charging?

happy flying
Paul

bobf
06-25-2007, 02:03 AM
Would a 4s2p 4600 A123 pack that is 52mm x 52m x145mm fit in the Chipmunk 70e

electricpaps
06-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Would a 4s2p 4600 A123 pack that is 52mm x 52m x145mm fit in the Chipmunk 70e

Yes it would. 4S is quite low though, what motor and prop are you using?

Happy flying,
Paul

bobf
06-25-2007, 08:12 PM
I will have to research that. I have standardized on the 4s 2300 packs and I can use two on this plane. I don't want different packs for each plane. I hope to find a motor that will provide the watts that I need on 4s.
Any suggestions?

Yes it would. 4S is quite low though, what motor and prop are you using?

Happy flying,
Paul

electricpaps
06-26-2007, 03:58 PM
I will have to research that. I have standardized on the 4s 2300 packs and I can use two on this plane. I don't want different packs for each plane. I hope to find a motor that will provide the watts that I need on 4s.
Any suggestions?
How many watts are you aiming for?
If you want about 1000 watts, which seems reasonable for this 'plane, you will be drawing about 75 amps at (4 x 3.3 = 13.2) volts.
So the motor, ESC and battery must all withstand 75 amps.

Your ESC will be 80A min,
Your lipos will be discharged at 75/(2 x 2.3) = 16C

A setup with 6S will draw only 50A
A 6S 4600 mAh battery will be discharged at 50/(2 x 2.3) = 11C

Basically, you may find the right motor, but current draw gets higher with voltage decrease. Most go for higher voltage and lower current.

Happy flying
Paul

jesse1919
10-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the great info. Few questions
1- is the tail gear steerable? or could I modify it easily?
2- how's the ground clearance for a 17" prop? Easy to bend new longer gear if I needed to?
3- I want to use an inrunner with an MEC superbox or monsterbox with the recommended motor mount HP-Z40-FRTMNT. Anybody tried this?

JoseLG
11-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi.
Yes, the tail wheel is stereable. It pass througth the fuse and links to the rudder with a bend at 90 degrees.
Yo can use a bigger prop, until 15", If you are going to use a bigger one, not necesary; you must change the landing gear wires.
Cheers.
Jose L.G.

jesse1919
11-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks- yes I saw a video and witnessed steerable gear. 15" prop huh. Well, that's good enough... so I'll need to "fix" the gear :D

Anybody try an inrunner/ gearbox? I'm thinking a Medusa 3670 (if they're available soon) and superbox.
Jesse

JoseLG
11-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Jesse.
No problem with an inrunner, only look for 800 wats or more. You must desing your own mounting system. (about 43 Amps on 5S lipo).;-)
José L.G.

Bill G
11-08-2008, 11:51 PM
I've been looking at the Hyperion planes at Allerc, and if I didn't have so many planes around here as it is, they are very tempting. The value is 100% or better than any of the balsa/ply ARFs from the major distributors. If I ever get an aerobat, it will be one of these.

Would be nice if they made a standard Chipmunk too. Had to build one for park flying myself, since there is none that I know of. Just had it out today.

jesse1919
11-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Hyperion makes a 10e version of the Chipmunk too. Not sure if you think that is "standard" or not.

jesse1919
10-19-2009, 05:24 AM
I almost have my Chipmunk together finally. :D I posted pics on Flickr.com. Search for jesse1919 or super chipmunk 70e. Made several mods. Limited time- details upon request.

TopSgt
02-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I have had my chipmunk for about two months now with only a few flights on it due to the weather here in new mexico. I am running a turnigy 35-48-1100 on 4s with a turnigy 80 amp esc and a 11x7 three blade mas prop.runs about 700 watts and auw is 4 1/2 lbs flys great stable yet very aerobatic. Slows great for landing evan at 5300 ft altitude. Baylor

pipiepz
04-08-2010, 05:22 AM
How many watts are you aiming for?
If you want about 1000 watts, which seems reasonable for this 'plane, you will be drawing about 75 amps at (4 x 3.3 = 13.2) volts.
So the motor, ESC and battery must all withstand 75 amps.

Your ESC will be 80A min,
Your lipos will be discharged at 75/(2 x 2.3) = 16C

A setup with 6S will draw only 50A
A 6S 4600 mAh battery will be discharged at 50/(2 x 2.3) = 11C

Basically, you may find the right motor, but current draw gets higher with voltage decrease. Most go for higher voltage and lower current.

Happy flying
Paul
------------------------------------------------------
As a newbie im trying to build this airplane as well, I have scorpion motor 4020-12 ( I know this is too big for this plane, but better than buy a new one). Could you advise me for how many cell should I attached? and prop size? FYI I like slow flying but have enough power as well.

Bill G
04-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Hyperion makes a 10e version of the Chipmunk too. Not sure if you think that is "standard" or not. It's pretty simple, and not a matter of what I think. There's the Art Scholl Super Chipmunk, and the Chipmunk. I tend to be a vintage purist. To each their own. Most of the models I've seen, other than the Dynaflite and HOB kit, are the Super Chipmunk version.