PDA

View Full Version : lesson for everyone

loker
07-22-2006, 02:26 PM
if anyone here does AP with a video monitor, don't be stupid like me and let your plane out of visual range just cause you can fly through your monitor. I looked away from my plane for about 30 seconds while I was looking through the monitor, and when I looked up, the plane was gone, I looked back at my monitor, and she's still flying, straingt and true, but I have no idea where it's going, the ground from up there is so big, and I couldn't find where I was through the monitor, and as the plane got out of range, I watched as she came close to the ground, then she went out of video monitor range, and then I never saw her again, 700 bucks down the drain. just posting so hopefully nobody has to make the same mistake I did.

aviatordave
07-22-2006, 02:58 PM
man..that sucks

Are you going to do a search for it? Did you have your name on it?

rahtware
07-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Great reminder!

That happened to me once... in a full-sized plane! A friend took me up and was letting me control the plane. He told me to line up with the airport, "What airport" I said! I had no idea where it was until he took over and set up for landing. Man that strip looked small, almost like it had shrunk to about 10% the size of what it was when we took off!

To quote the sargent on the old show NYPD Blue... "Be careful out there!"

rahtware
07-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Oh, I forgot to ask, at what angle did you have the camera set? Were you able to see the horizon? Or was it pointing straight down? Did try flying a search pattern?

loker
07-22-2006, 08:00 PM
nope, no name, too much to area to search, couldn't see it from the air anyway, I couldn't see myself. thanx for the suggestions.

Kosh
07-23-2006, 08:08 AM
Never hurts to put something on Craiglist with a reward offered, I mean its worth a shot and costs nothing to try right? Maybe some missing photo pics at a few stores around the area. You know how they have lost kids on the milk cartons, Replace that with lost AP planes are there just as important. :eek: :D

I have a hard enough time just flying sometimes without the cool toys you have onboard (Big hurken plane killing trees everwhere here) to distract me but I feel for ya. The loss of a AP plane is kinda like getting your car totaled but without hostpital stay :eek:

Best of luck getting it back or on your next version :)

Ribcracker
07-24-2006, 02:35 AM
You might try making up a flyer like I did once. I put them in mail boxes (a postal no no) and attached them to trees and stop signs (another no no). A few days later a guy called to say it was in a tree in his front yard...a mile and a half away!
I'm glad it didn't go through his window.

LOST REMOTE CONTROL AIRPLANE IF FOUND PLEASE CALL BUD
248 628 9446

ForestCam
07-24-2006, 02:50 AM
This is like closing the gate after the cows get out of the pasture but I wonder if something like this gould have helped track and locate the plane.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=GPT-700&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_ite=total

aviatordave
07-24-2006, 04:15 AM
Thanks for not letting me need my glasses!

Ribcracker
07-24-2006, 01:51 PM
I didn't do that on purpose. I must have pushed a bad button or something. I still don't understand computers!

aviatordave
07-24-2006, 03:21 PM
I know...I was just kiddin ya

ForestCam
07-24-2006, 06:25 PM
This is like closing the gate after the cows get out of the pasture but I wonder if something like this gould have helped track and locate the plane.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=GPT-700&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_ite=total

Hmmmm.....

Bluetooth is a great short-range wireless technology for cell phones, laptops, PDAs, headsets, peripherals, and other devices. But it quickly runs out of steam when the range goes beyond 10 m. It's particularly troublesome with enhanced data rate (EDR) Bluetooth applications that use the full-bore 3-Mbit/s rate. SiGe Semiconductor's SE2425U power amplifier (PA) may have the solution (Fig. 1 (http://www.elecdesign.com/Files/29/12723/Figure_01.gif)).
The Bluetooth specifications include three classes of power amplification. Class 3 is standard 1 dBm. The SE2425U supports classes 1 and 2 with 20-dBm and 4-dBm power output, respectively. With class 1 power, a Bluetooth EDR device can reach up to 100 m, depending, of course, on the environment.
The three-stage amplifier is made with silicon-germanium (SiGe) biCMOS (Fig. 2 (http://www.elecdesign.com/Files/29/12723/Figure_02.gif)). It operates from a 3.3-V supply and delivers an output power of +25 dBm using the standard Bluetooth mode with
Gaussian frequency shift keying (GFSK) and a power of +19.5 dBm when operating with 9/4-DQPSK (differential quadrature phase-shift keying) or 8-DPSK ( differential phase-shift keying) as required for EDR. Operating current is 110 mA at the maximum EDR rate. The quiescent current is 29 mA.
The SE2425U also can reduce over-power consumption, boosting battery life. The EDR rate sends data faster, so the total transmit time for a packet is significantly reduced. This greatly lowers power consumption as well. And, the SE2425U can control the bias on the amplifier to optimize its operation to the Bluetooth mode.
In standard mode, the packet header and the payload both are transmitted using GFSK at 1 Mbit/s. In the EDR mode, the header is transmitted using GFSK so any nearby Bluetooth device, including non-EDR devices, can determine the mode from the header. The EDR packet payloads are then transmitted in 8-DPSK.
When transmitting in the standardrate GFSK mode (1 Mbit/s), the amplifier can operate fully saturated. This greatly improves efficiency (45%) and reduces power consumption. In the EDR mode, the bias is readjusted for more linear operation to accommodate the 8-DPSK modulation, with 22% efficiency. Bias is changed with the mode pin on the chip.
Finally, the SE2425U eliminates the need for most external components, especially those used for input and output impedance matching. The input and interstage matches are all on-chip. Most of the output matching components, including inductors, are on-chip. All you need is a couple of external capacitors to complete the match to the antenna.
The device comes in a 16-pin quad flat no-lead (QFN) package that measures 3 by 3 by 0.5 mm. With these dimensions, as well as its low power consumption, there's no longer any excuse to avoid including extra power in your Bluetooth application, extending its range and reliability. Available now, the SE2425U costs $0.95 in quantities of 10,000.
SiGe Semiconductor Inc.
www.sige.com (http://www.sige.com/)

...maybe this could be turned into a realtime aircraft tracking device.:cool:

miljnor
07-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Of course on the negative side of things: if you put a name on it then its easier to find you for property damage (hopefully no one got injured)

fly safe guys! :D

rahtware
07-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Of course on the negative side of things: if you put a name on it then its easier to find you for property damage (hopefully no one got injured)

fly safe guys! :D

An interesting point of view...

OTOH wouldn't you want to know (and have the right to know) who let their RC plane get out of control and hit little Billy on the head???

If we as a group want to keep our freedom to fly when and where we want, we as individuals and groups must take responsibility for our actions.

In my 25 years of flying RC I have seen a number of fields closed down due to the irresponsibility of a few bad pilots.

aviatordave
07-25-2006, 04:25 PM
You have a point Larry, a name is always good for equipment recovery (there are still some honest people out there) and of course responsibility to damage. A couple weeks ago my wife and I were driving down the highway with a group of other motorists (4 cars) when a kite flew across the road, looked like a little girl had lost her string. The people in front of us really over reacted to try to miss the kite which I'm sure just startled them as it came out of nowhere. So the chance is there that a stray plane or any flying object can make its way to an area it shouldnt be.

just some food for thought -

Dave

ForestCam
07-25-2006, 06:36 PM
I was talking to a buddy last night about this and even though it's too late now he had a heck of an idea, load up the video gear and drive around untill you get the signal back, the closer you got to the plane the stronger the signal would have been, unless like he also mentioned it landed in the drink.

Randy Due
07-25-2006, 07:37 PM
How are yall putting your names on your models? I've tried address labels printed on the PC before, but they don't stay attached for long. I thought about using a sharpy pen, but nobody would be able to rad my writing!:rolleyes: :D I'd be interested in hearing ideas. I need to mark my newest ones.

Randy

Rugar
07-25-2006, 07:49 PM
How are yall putting your names on your models? I've tried address labels printed on the PC before, but they don't stay attached for long. I thought about using a sharpy pen, but nobody would be able to rad my writing!:rolleyes: :D I'd be interested in hearing ideas. I need to mark my newest ones.

Randy

I print out my name and AMA # and tape it to the bottom of my battery hatch.

Kosh
07-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Write or print out whatever on wing then shoot some Minwax Polycrylic over the top to seal it on. Its adds next to no weight, Is waterproof and is hard to get off.

Ribcracker
07-25-2006, 10:16 PM
A co-worker told me her husband (who flies gas planes) had a flyaway and they heard from the police several days later. Apparantly someone found it inside their house.
I said, "What? Did it go through their window?"
She said, "No. It went through their roof!"
Yikes!

miljnor
07-26-2006, 01:04 AM
OTOH wouldn't you want to know (and have the right to know) who let their RC plane get out of control and hit little Billy on the head???
not with a name tag... You shouldn't stop looking for a plane if it gets away from you. (unless of course it in an unpopulated area). A name tag is for the police to track you down and arrest you... You showing up in person to take responsibiliy is so much more noteworthy and comendable.....

and my comment as I typed it was out of line... It was in response to the thread starter and the fact that his response was so non-chalant. (not that he ment it that way) but if the plane was 700.00 dollars I am thinking big bang when it impacts the ground (or what ever it hit) He didn't seam to care to much about that in the post, so I wrote my inconsiderate comment.

personaly I wouldn't get any sleep until it was ascertained that no one was hurt.

Again I appologize for my ruddness and lack of consideration.

dmmalish
07-26-2006, 02:39 AM
where are you in michigan i also am in michigan maybe we could help you search for it

Randy Due
07-26-2006, 04:05 AM
Write or print out whatever on wing then shoot some Minwax Polycrylic over the top to seal it on. Its adds next to no weight, Is waterproof and is hard to get off.

Yeah, it's good stuff. The wing on my AP plane is fanfold, glassed with Minwax Polycrylic. Makes a nice skin with 3/4 cloth. I hadn't thought about using it over a name tag. Should work great!

rahtware
07-26-2006, 02:54 PM
not with a name tag... You shouldn't stop looking for a plane if it gets away from you. (unless of course it in an unpopulated area). A name tag is for the police to track you down and arrest you... You showing up in person to take responsibiliy is so much more noteworthy and comendable.....

and my comment as I typed it was out of line... It was in response to the thread starter and the fact that his response was so non-chalant. (not that he ment it that way) but if the plane was 700.00 dollars I am thinking big bang when it impacts the ground (or what ever it hit) He didn't seam to care to much about that in the post, so I wrote my inconsiderate comment.

personaly I wouldn't get any sleep until it was ascertained that no one was hurt.

Again I appologize for my ruddness and lack of consideration.
No problem and really no need to apologize. I think we are all in this hobby because we enjoy it, not to cause problems for, or harm to others. And, all of us, just like the kids playing baseball in the street, don’t expect the ball to go through the neighbor’s window... But we all know that glass is a baseball magnet!

I like your point about trying everything possible to recover your plane/make sure that no one was hurt. But by leaving your contact information off your plane (because the police might come to arrest you), you are leaving the door open to escape your responsibility for your actions. Jeez, now I’m starting to sound like my father!

Has anyone else read about the RC plane that flew across the Atlantic and landed in Ireland? It used GPS to find the landing field… I wonder how hard it would be to set up the same system in our high-flying planes so when the signal is lost they would return to where they were launched? Just a thought…

Side note: One of the fields I fly in is being shut down do to the noise(?) caused by the electric planes!!! I am of half a mind to bring out my un-muffled .60 powered fire breathing monster to let them hear what a noisy RC plane really sounds like!

loker
07-26-2006, 07:13 PM
just so you all know, the plane was a slow stick, the seven hundred dollars was the video equipment. when I saw her going down, I cut the throttle, and gave her full up trim on the elevator, before I lost video signal, I could tell it was just gliding down, and I did look all over the place, believe me, that plane is gone. I had a good idea where it was too, I believe somebody just found it and kept it. and there's no way this slowstick went through a roof. and it weighed less than 20 ounces, not very dangerous with the throttle off and just slowly gliding down.

rahtware
07-27-2006, 03:13 AM
just so you all know, the plane was a slow stick, the seven hundred dollars was the video equipment. when I saw her going down, I cut the throttle, and gave her full up trim on the elevator, before I lost video signal, I could tell it was just gliding down, and I did look all over the place, believe me, that plane is gone. I had a good idea where it was too, I believe somebody just found it and kept it. and there's no way this slowstick went through a roof. and it weighed less than 20 ounces, not very dangerous with the throttle off and just slowly gliding down.
No need to feel guilty, you are the one out the $700...

You just happened to open one of the subjects that interest the RC community, freedom vs. responsibility. With the pressure that this society puts on the male of the species it is no wonder that so many of us just want to say fork it! I'll do what I want, when I want and everyone else can go jump! (Cleaned up for the forum)

As for Miljnor's apprehension of being arrested... This culture has become so lawsuit-happy that I can see some jerk with a broken windshield claiming that your Slow Stick caused it!

I, not you, am the one that must apologize for causing some of you to feel guilty about your attitude and actions.

miljnor
07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
As for Miljnor's apprehension of being arrested... This culture has become so lawsuit-happy that I can see some jerk with a broken windshield claiming that your Slow Stick caused it!

this is actually what was going thru my mind as I wrote the original post. I was worried that after loosing a 700.+ in plane doing damage to an empty vehical the owner would claim he was hurt and sue....

I wonder how long people will put up the the "sue everyone" mentality. Its so messed up!

aviatordave
08-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Loker,

nice stadium pic in the contest thread! did you get another plane after the lost one?

Dave

loker
08-03-2006, 02:22 AM
thanx, yes I got another slowstick, have it working again soon. somebody else said they would like to see that stadium when it's full of people. Football season is a couple weeks away, I'll be able to find out if I can get a shot of it full of people when I see if nobody allows me to fly. hehe.

Ridgetop
08-03-2006, 06:34 PM
loker
I made a rude comment on your picture for the contest, I assume you know that it was all in good fun.:) Sorry for your loss, I know the sick feeling you get when it happens.:( May you have many more good AP flights in the future.:)

Go Cougs!
Sorry, couldn't help myself.:)

ForestCam
08-03-2006, 07:00 PM
loker
I made a rude comment on your picture for the contest, I assume you know that it was all in good fun.:) Sorry for your loss, I know the sick feeling you get when it happens.:( May you have many more good AP flights in the future.:)

Go Cougs!
Sorry, couldn't help myself.:)
Was it as bad as, "How do you get a Michigan alumni off your front porch?" :D

Warden
08-03-2006, 07:33 PM
Heh, heh.... we could have some fun with this. I live about 30 minutes from Penn State's Beaver Stadium. Ain't no way I'm going to try to get a picture with the place full! About the only thing airborne that can legally fly over that place during game time is the Good Year Blimp! And that area is parked full of cars for miles! Trying to land a plane WITHOUT hitting a parked car would be a real trick. That being said, I will get a pic of the stadium.

The pic of the Michigan stadium with the 400ft crane. Are they adding MORE seats to that place or was it a scoreboard replacement or something like that? As I recall, Penn State had more seating capacity after our last expansion but then Michigan added more seats to again claim the "largest staduim" prize.

Go Nits!

loker
08-06-2006, 08:48 AM
ridgetop I know you were joking, none taken.
Warden: I guess you're right. It would be very stupid of me to fly over during a game. as far as the construction, I don't know what they're doing. doesn't look like more seats. besides, we don't need any more seats to be the biggest. :D

ForestCam
08-06-2006, 03:58 PM
From what I've heard, last year State added luxury boxes so now Michigan is doing it too.