PDA

View Full Version : Best Plane for AP

johnhay73
08-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Hi,

Way down the road, I would like to mount a decent digital camera onto a plane. The camera might weigh about 8 ounces. Is there a type of plane that would balance size/weight/power/strength for such a camera and its mounting system?

Does anyone here own or know of a proven model that would be stable and carry such a load? I would be willing to sacrifice in other areas, such as aerobatics.

Thanks,

John

bsoder
08-29-2005, 08:24 PM
oversized slowstick. There's a thread on RC Groups in the AP forum, search for slowstick XL.

A stock slowstick has a wingspan of 46.3" and area of 505 square inches - at a very rough estimate stock AUW is let's say 18 oz. That gives a wingloading of about 5.125 oz/sqft. In order to stay at about that same wl, but add 10 oz of camera + mount, you need to increase your wing area to about 790 square inches. To get that using an extended ss wing you need a span of about 72.5" - an additional 13" or so on a side. Easy enough to do, just cut and glue them appropriately. Should extend the fuse as well for balance. Go check out that thread, it's a good read.

Brian

johnhay73
08-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the tip. I read the thread and all the associated images. What an adaptable plane! The fuselage of the slowstick really lends itself well to mounting things, and easy adjustment of CG.

bsoder
08-29-2005, 09:55 PM
exactly. I just picked up a new(ebay) camera myself - it's right under 10oz with mount, so I know exactly what you're looking at. :) The slowstick is just such a neat design for this kind of stuff. I've actually used a section of slowstick fuselage in the zagi I just built - the motor requires one screw to be removed and it slides right out, the ESC is velcroed in place, etc. I like modular planes. :)

johnhay73
08-31-2005, 02:54 PM
It appears that mountain models (http://www.mountainmodels.com) makes a plane specifically for ariel photography, the Magpie AP. I can see that the predesigned camera mount might make it difficult to have the camera pointing forward, though. I am sure there are advantages and disadvantages to this plane over the Slowstick, but being a novice I will need to research it more.

rcam
08-31-2005, 03:51 PM
I have a Sig Seniorita that has been converted to electric that will make a great camera platform. I built a hatch that comes off easily with a spring type catch. I plane on getting a camera soon mounting it to a second hatch. The plane have great vertical as is and will probably not even notice an additional 10 ounces.

The plane and hatch can be seen at:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725

scroll down the page for pictures.

09-01-2005, 04:58 PM
I have the MagPie. The camera mount is a screw which goes through that bracket on the plane & into the tripod hole in the bottom of the camera. If you wanted to point the camera either forward or backward, all that you would have to do is loosen the screw, rotate the camera & retighten. It's just that easy.

Additionally, of course, it can be rotated to all sorts of angles including straight down.

The main advantage of the Magpie is it's ability to handle wind. Also I do believe that it's bigger, thereby allowing more weight and potentially more visibilty for high elevations.

All that & it's a ready-made AP plane. No modifications required.

Highly recommended!

Brad

RcOre
09-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Just ordered a MagPie AP Wed. After reading so many good things about it I have to try it. I've been using a slowstick for about a year now and am very happy with it other than the wind stability issues. I also like the fact that the camera is in the fuse and not hanging below the plane

rcam
09-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Just ordered a MagPie AP Wed. After reading so many good things about it I have to try it. I've been using a slowstick for about a year now and am very happy with it other than the wind stability issues. I also like the fact that the camera is in the fuse and not hanging below the plane

Where can one get a MagPie?

HoboDog
09-03-2005, 10:13 PM
You get Magpies at http://www.mountainmodels.com/ .
I just did the maiden on mine today. Awesome camera platform! :D Stable and carries weight too. Mine came in at 37.6 oz with a Nikon 3200 on board.
It has a Hacker A30-16M with a Thunder Power Pro Lite 2100 mAh 11.1 volt to get it up there. Cruises at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. Glides forever with no power.
I put a FMA co-pilot on it but don't have it dialed in yet. It oscillates so I turned it off from the transmitter.

mwhitman
09-04-2005, 09:51 AM
I currently fly a Slow Stick for aerial photography. Since I just got started flying in July, my setup is pretty basic but extremely functional. I'm using an Axi 2208/34 brushless motor with a 7.4 or 11.1V lipo (depending on how much power I think I need that day). The camera is a 2 megapixel digital camera that I got from compgeeks.com for about $35 (it's the same camera as the blip cam but without the RC modifications). If it's getting breezy, then I'll use a clipped slow stick wing (I think I shortened it to about 36" after cutting the edges off at the first "rib") instead of the stock wing. The added weight of a camera and an 11.1V lipo make the slow stick pretty stable but I think a Magpie AP from mountainmodels.com would be a better platform for a camera heavier than 8-10 oz.

Take a look at the attached pictures. My first attempt at AP was with a disposable Kodak one-time use camera (one shot per flight!) so you'll see that in the picture with the stock wing. Another picture shows the clipped wing. I made the camera mount from a Home Depot paint stick and some square hardwood (easy to make just use CA and a couple of tiny screws for added safety). The shim behind the camera in the picture was too steep so I used a thinner piece of balsa later on.

Mike

nakelp86
09-11-2005, 12:56 PM
It appears that mountain models (http://www.mountainmodels.com) makes a plane specifically for ariel photography, the Magpie AP. I can see that the predesigned camera mount might make it difficult to have the camera pointing forward, though. I am sure there are advantages and disadvantages to this plane over the Slowstick, but being a novice I will need to research it more.

Check RC groups search Magpie there are 4 parts on this excelent plane there.

johnhay73
09-18-2005, 09:12 PM
I have done a lot of reading on the Magpie threads. It truly has some devoted fans. I have placed my order with mountain models!

John

RcOre
09-20-2005, 07:04 AM
I just finished the plane tonight and will maiden tomorrow (weather permitting....looks good though). The build went real well for my second tape job :rolleyes: I'll post pics of the plane tomorrow. Now all I have to do is get my Nikon 5900 back from repair, it's been gone since July 19th for dirt in the lens <THANK YOU KITS CAMERA> and they expect another 3 to 5 weeks. On the bright side heres a few pics from flying yesterday.....NOT RC ap obviously :D Note the variometer in the first pic is at 2,913' Mmmmmm....good times, and no shutter servo required.

johnhay73
09-20-2005, 02:39 PM
Glad to hear it went well for you! Can you tell me if a single roll of tape from MM will cover an entire wing and fuse? Did you use the 3M Super77 or another product to get the tape to stick?

Also, what kind of vehicle where you in when you took those great photos?

nakelp86
09-20-2005, 05:10 PM
how do U guys post pictures here??

nakelp86
09-20-2005, 05:15 PM
ok I found it

RcOre
09-21-2005, 05:31 AM
Glad to hear it went well for you! Can you tell me if a single roll of tape from MM will cover an entire wing and fuse? Did you use the 3M Super77 or another product to get the tape to stick?

Also, what kind of vehicle where you in when you took those great photos? I did'nt buy my tape from MM but if they are the same but one roll should do the trick. I did use the 3M super77 and it worked well. I maidened today but was in more wind than I should have flown and I had the typical motor mount down thrust proplem. I taped my motor mount for the maiden just in case so I've already fixed and ready for another try tomorrow. Heres a few pics of the plane:D
Oh and I was paragliding this weekend, the conditions were less than ideal for soaring so I towed up a few times. That was in Seaside Oregon

johnhay73
09-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Nice looking Magpie! I am saving images of other's Magpies for ideas, and to get creative input from my SO. Your images are definately going on the list. Just by coincedence, I ordered the yellow, blue, and white tape. I think those colours go great togethor.

I really like the covered tail. I have not seen it done on a lot of Magpies and have heard people citing issues with making the tale heavier. I can't see that a few short strips of tape would make that much of a difference, though. I can't tell from the pictures if you covered the underside of the horizontal stabilizer/elevator.

I went through Oregon a while back. Never saw the coast though, (too busy visiting breweries in Portland :D) but will definately check it out next time. Looks amazing!

aironut
09-22-2005, 02:16 AM
I put my Blip camera on my old kyosho glider and took these pictures...
I just looked at the picture on this site ...it really looks bad. The picture I took is clear and sharp..

TaSaJaRa
09-25-2005, 05:42 PM
This is the plane I built to use for AP . I have a 5mp Pentax S5z on-board.
The design is based on a bigger slow stick and called the SSV2 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339060) designed by Joe Bennett.
I made a custom Blue Cor FFF wing (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4332372&postcount=9) with removable wing tips for easier transport.
I use a JustGoFly 450TH 3000kv (http://justgofly.com/tech_450TH.htm) geared on 3 cells.

Here is a video I made the other day if you want to take a look.

Aerial Video using a 5' wing span electric plane (http://static.rcgroups.com/gallery/data/500/46301SSV2_in_flight_Small.wmv)
And Yes that is myself at the end of the video. :D

The camera and mount I used for this video hangs under the wing, pictures are here:
My camera & mount (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4355111&postcount=4)

This is the other camera mount (http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173) I use on my SSV2

Later, Craig

shaun931
09-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Hey john im selling my pt40 Nitro airplane and it could easily carry a small digi cam like 8 ounces it has a large wingspan so it wont have trouble im selling it ready to fly for 400 with JR servo's and transmitter i live near vancouver so we wouldnt have to ship tell me if your interested thx shaun