PDA

View Full Version : Future AP Contests

Kosh
07-23-2006, 07:26 AM
Heres were your input and ideas come into play, I would really like to see monthly AP contests on this site get going and think we can pull this off. I know everything starts off slow and takes time to build so please help make this something we all look forward to each month. Nothing is set in stone as far as rules and dates go for this so now is the time to add your comments to help make this a better forum. I see no problem with the current contest rules other than we just don't have them enough so lets try and change that here. I propose we run the contests from the 1st of the month to the 25th and vote on the photos till the end of each month.
Contest themes should try to include something most have real access to like say, Water, Sunsets, Churches, Trees, Small Towns, Parks ... well you get the idea here. I know I'm just one guy and have no more say than you do on this so lets hear it. Please take a few to add your thoughts and ideas to this worthwhile project to make the AP forum a better place for all.

Thanks, Kosh

(All in favor just say :) )

Rugar
07-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Looks good so far. The only thing I see that I feel should be changed, is the contests should run from the 1st to the 21st. My feelings on this is that some WattFlyer members may only log on here once a week. By letting the contest run for three weeks and then having a full week to vote may give more members a chance to cast their votes and be involved.

How do you guys feel about allowing the Moderators and Admins. being able to enter the Photo Contests? I have a Nikon 7900 that I bought just for AP that's never been in the air. I also have a NIP Magpie AP that's still sealed in the plastic. When the contests were first started at WattFlyer I was told that Mods could not enter, so I never got serious about putting my plane together. Then we were told if the members agreed to it that we could enter. A Poll was supposed to be posted to let the members decide, but I'm not sure if one ever was. Since it is the members that vote and decide the outcome of the contests, do you think we should be able to enter also?
I'm going to start a Poll in a new thread for everyone to vote on it.
Here is a link to the Poll. Please click on it and cast your vote.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8727

Kosh
07-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Works for me, What he said. 1st to the 21st. Its the whole point of the thread to adjust this to best suite the site. Can we also look into getting the voting part of this into the email update at that time? Forget about the other poll that shows up there currently and replace it with a vote now kinda thing? I'm sure it would help this section out and bring some real interest.

Grasshopper
07-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Well, not sure my vote counts yet since I don't have an AP plane. I'm waiting for my new Magpie AP, camera and power system to show up any day now. I'm about to go nuts waiting on it.

I would be interested in the monthly contest. I really enjoy looking at other people's pictures and have certainly gained a lot of knowledge from the AP threads already. One thing that would be nice to have added is what settings thier cameras were on if possible. I know some cameras don't record settings such as exposure, shutter speed and ISO or film speed settings, but it would be interesting for me. Maybe not a requirement, but a "Nice to have".

Regarding the Mods and Admin being able to participate, I don't see why not. I don't think they have any advantage or edge over the others because of their affiliation to the site. They have most certainly been helpful, friendly and fair in all my dealings with them.

I would love to see interest grow in this subject.

Thanks,

Tom

aviatordave
07-24-2006, 04:25 AM
Hey Tom,
Your vote def. counts!

Kosh, all I can say is ":) "

I agree, we need to keep this alive even though it may be a little slow to start, but with enough persistance it should do fine. Rugar has a good idea on the start/stop dates.

What we need to do is make sure we stay away from the 'DRAMA' of the other forum......

Keep things laxed, make it easy for all to join, and keep WATTFLYER behind it.

Dave

Kosh
07-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Its a done deal 1st to 21st but still open to ideas on contest rules and other parts. As of today I'm one of the moderators for the AP Forum so I will do my very best to make sure we have monthly contests here. Please feel free to message me if you have a problem here that I can help with.
We could really use some more contest topics that everyone can join in. I mean think of topics that almost any place would have like say a school. While it may not be exciting it gives all the opportunity to enter. You get the idea so add away here please and we will use this as a sounding board. This is your forum so lets makes it fun for all here. :)

Thanks, Kosh

Grasshopper
07-28-2006, 11:37 PM
How about Patriotic? Like flags, war memorials and such. I've thought about flags and that can be challenging because the only way you'll get a picture of them in their full glory means it's gonna be windy out.

Kosh
07-28-2006, 11:52 PM
That sounds very workable and fun, Every country has flags that I'm sure most have access to for AP.
Nice work Grasshopper !!!

adhoc
07-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Some ideas...

* Self Portrait -- yourself, from your plane. Admittedly will often be a small human figure standing in a big field somewhere. :) Can be bigger and more identifiable if you do a close flyby, but please, nobody hit themselves (or anyone else) trying to do this!

* What's this? -- A mystery contest, where it isn't immediately obvious what we're looking at. Inspired (sort of) by a picture in the galleries of a plane, and the poster said something like "What's unusual about the background?"

* Other planes -- I don't even know if this could work; how hard is it to get one plane from another? A variation could be something like aerial combat: "Got ya!"

* Search and Rescue -- I actually tried this a month or so ago, when some unfortunate kid lost his brand-new RC plane (which he had received for working hard in school) in the neighborhood; I tried to do some passes around the likely area, capturing video and then scanning it, sometimes frame-by-frame, hoping to find the lost plane. Never found it, but would have been cool... Okay, probably too obscure for a contest...

* Sun -- I've always loved sunrises and sunsets. Of course including suitably beautiful, striking, or stark landscape just enhances the effect... Variation: Moon!

* Traffic -- Sure, we tend to focus on the beautiful, wonderful stuff, but how about the occasional glimpse of some of the unfortunate and/or annoying sides of life. Traffic is top of my list, but I'm sure other stuff could be done, too: wildfires come to mind. Probably should avoid heavy weather phenomena like tornados and hurricanes... ;)

Those are some of my wacky ideas... enjoy!

rchawks
07-29-2006, 05:49 AM
I've been itching to get some shots from the new "mall" that was constructed on the northside of town. It should make for some beautiful shots. It would include the afore mentioned theme of traffic and people. The trick here is to keep the flyover to a minimum (just in case) and maybe use a forward facing shot from the end or very high up from the edge to include most or all of the mall. I think most towns have Walmarts or K-marts even, anything along this line. Another theme that may be noteworthy would be very difficult sites to launch from and land in. In my case I plan to strive to gain some shots from just such a place and would include some ground based photos to show the area flown from. The site wouldn't have to be from a hill or over water but could include taking off from a large backyard and clearing the treeline and maybe having to land at a nearby site. I woundn't want to encourage wreakless conduct or risk one's aircraft but many things could be done with challange and purpose in mind. My niece is wanting to have me do a flyover of her house and the only way of doing this is to use a nearby site and using walkies talkies (or cell phones) to relay when I'm over the target site. If you look at my entry (interestig mountains and hills) she lives two blocks behind the light brown cliff. It should be interesting to pull off. Just a few ideas.

Kosh
07-29-2006, 05:58 AM
Thanks Adhoc and rchawks, Some great ideas on your parts. Lets keep this rolling and see what else pops up on here.

adhoc
07-29-2006, 05:08 PM
A couple more...

* Holes -- This could include simple depressions, wells, caves, all the way up (um, or down) to canyons... The key is a look down into a shadowy hole from the sky in a way nobody else but AP could easily do...

* Boundaries/Edges/Contrasts -- Things like coastlines and treelines are obvious examples, but I'll bet there are some more subtle and interesting examples... These don't have to be hard-edged boundaries; you could have a gradual transition from one type of terrain to another...

adhoc
07-30-2006, 11:06 PM
* Self Portrait -- yourself, from your plane. Admittedly will often be a small human figure standing in a big field somewhere. :) Can be bigger and more identifiable if you do a close flyby, but please, nobody hit themselves (or anyone else) trying to do this!I see now that this has been done, although not as a contest... http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4075

Don E
08-02-2006, 04:43 PM
I would love to see a monthly contest. I’ve only entered a few of them (a while ago, in another forum) and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. I personally like themes that are a little vague. Not so obscure that you’re scratching you’re head for days trying to figure out what to shoot, just open to a little interpretation if you know what I’m saying. Like what adhoc said “ * Boundaries/Edges/Contrasts”. Another that brought in some fantastic pictures was “unusual architecture”. I guess the point is that the subject matter isn’t as important as just getting out and doing it.
I guess I said all of that to say this ":) "

When ( not if ) this becomes a success, would it become useful to archive the different themes so that new contestants can see what has already been done? (just the name, not the whole contest. Kind’a like a running list.)
My 2c
Don

ps. This weekend I will find a hill for this months contest.

Rugar
08-02-2006, 04:47 PM
I would love to see a monthly contest.
You will see one from here on out.

HoggZilla
08-04-2006, 02:12 AM
I love this idea of the AP Contest. I am very new to rc planes, about 3 months and just getting starting with photography. Thank you to anyone who can help me identify a good plane and camera setup for a beginner like me.

I did just get a slow stick, it's still in the box. Some of my friends use them for combat and talked me into joining them. I read that the slow stick might be great for AP???

I also have a DX6 radio. Is that going to have the range I need to do AP? I realise that question might be relative but I am hoping to hear what some of you are using.

Thanks Again,
Steve

EUT
08-04-2006, 03:13 AM
I love this idea of the AP Contest. I am very new to rc planes, about 3 months and just getting starting with photography. Thank you to anyone who can help me identify a good plane and camera setup for a beginner like me.

I did just get a slow stick, it's still in the box. Some of my friends use them for combat and talked me into joining them. I read that the slow stick might be great for AP???

I also have a DX6 radio. Is that going to have the range I need to do AP? I realise that question might be relative but I am hoping to hear what some of you are using.

Thanks Again,
Steve

The Slow Stick is a great AP plane, and the DX6 has more range than you can see your Slow Stick.

HoggZilla
08-04-2006, 04:05 AM
The Slow Stick is a great AP plane, and the DX6 has more range than you can see your Slow Stick.

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you have a camera recommendation?

Kosh
08-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you have a camera recommendation?

Like always I'm sorry to say it come down to price and how much you want to spend on it. There are quite a few options in the $150 to $200 range for good quality photos and videos from a digital. You can find much cheaper stuff that will do adequate pics and videos also but suffers a little in quality.
For photos think 3MP and above, Video should be 320x240 @ 30FPS or better. Make sure you get a memory card big enough todo what you want with it also. Compare some prices online at places like Best Buy, Circuitcity, Walmart .... to give you a better idea whats out there.
Theres also the problem of triggering the camera, Is there room on your choice of cam for a servo? Camera mounts can also be made to hold a servo and some can be triggered by IR.
Picking a camera is always harder than mounting one on a plane so read up a little before spending your hard earned cash.