PDA

View Full Version : Us Against Them?

Bill G
07-23-2006, 05:49 PM
From Don:

"We really don't need this to turn into another us against them sort of thread so I'm going to close it like the other ones. One of the Admins or Marc can open it back up and over rule my decision of course."

You could not be more correct, Don. In my case, I noticed that a number of "us's" joined in, in issues between me, and another staff. Threads were moved, and negative responses rained in. I can recall the basic specifics, if called on it. Wouldn't like to, since I would hope that it would be the last time something turns into a number of "us's" against 1 guy here, when it should have been 1 staff dealing with 1 individual.

In his case, I see both sides. He spent a lot of loot on bad batts, and wanted to get the word out. I think that correcting him on his TP comments as sort of "trolling" probably just got him fueled more, against the product. The users will tell people is they think they are "thread crashing" and the ranter will get the point, probably better than if staff keeps informing them of it.

Don Sims
07-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Naaa the issue was another thread about that member being given a vacation for a while. We already had some of those threads.

There are a lot of bad product threads out there and folks post their opinions a lot, just not the same thing the same way over and over and over in the same thread.

easytiger
07-23-2006, 10:18 PM
I did not see the fracas....
But I want to chime in with something to echo what Don Sims is saying...at least what I THINK he's saying...

One of the HORRIBLE things about RCgoofs is the CONTINUOUS flaming of certain vendors and people by the SAME people over and over again.
Look how Northeast Sailplanes turned out. How many times did they need to have the SAME group of guys flame them? EVERY time someone mentioned NSP? Is that right? Look how it ended up. Very poorly.
World Hobbies is another example. You can't mention them without this same handful of guys coming in and flaming. Endlessly. Pointlessly. It's ugly. It's awful. It's wrong.

I don't have a real solution, but I think maybe you need to limit exactly how many flames one poster can give one vendor or person. The THIRD time someone says such-and-such is the Antichrist, well, I think we get the point.

People really ENJOY the flaming. For sure. And people enjoy WATCHING the flaming. Just like they always slow down to see a car wreck. But it's not really "protecting" the consumer, or "warning" them, it's really just trying to "get back" at some vendor they think has slighted them.

What to do? I dunno. But I think it needs saying. RCgoofs does it ALL WRONG on that account, I don't beleive one word I read in their vendor, or, as they really are, VENDOR FLAMING, forums, and I really hated to see some of those guys cross over to THIS vendor forum, just to spew the same garbage.
Head this problem off at the pass before it gets out of hand. You have to wonder at someone who registers for this site just to flame a vendor. That's not much of a "contribution".

BBird
07-24-2006, 02:40 AM
I don't know how to curb the practice but I shure wish someone had flamed the people that took my money and delivered junk (if at all) over the years. Maybe a limit is the correct way but for the life of me, I don't know how to administer that.

Bill G
07-24-2006, 03:24 AM
World Hobbies is another example. You can't mention them without this same handful of guys coming in and flaming. Endlessly. Pointlessly. It's ugly. It's awful. It's wrong.

Your points were well taken.
As for World Hobbies, I've never dealt with them, but Anthony at WH dug his own hole from China almost to here, with some of his responses.:eek:
That's an isolated case, however, when someone want to earn an image from the vendor responses like he gave.

easytiger
07-24-2006, 03:56 AM
There is another side to the World Hobbies versus Taekwondo story, but I don't want to get involved...I am truly afraid of people like Taekwondo, who will spend such an inordinate amount of time flaming someone. No thanks!

I don't make excuses for Anthony Hand, I don't know the guy, and there is nothing in it for me, but I think, JUST like in the case of Sal DeFrancisco, there reaches a point where the flamee(is that a word? Flamee, as opposed to flamer) becomes just so frustrated at the flamers, that they run out of patience. It's no longer about remedying some deal gone awry, he could give them double their money back, a luxury yacht, and I backrub, and the flamers will STILL continue. It becomes a game. Been there, done that. People become quite obsessive about it, if they have nothing better to do, there are people who spend an INCREDIBLE amount of time looking for any possible way to screw somebody over on the internet, and I would guess Hand reached the breaking point long ago, it was not a winnable battle after a certain point. Nothing he did or said would fix the situation. You have to experience it to really understand it.
Of course, he could have fixed the situation earlier on, but he let it go past the point of no return. Or maybe it never WAS fixable. Dunno.

All I can say is I think someone needs to keep an eye on this kind of situation, I don't know if you can exactly build a rule about it, but I know what Rcgroups does is way uncool.

vax6335
07-24-2006, 10:27 PM
All I can say is I think someone needs to keep an eye on this kind of situation, I don't know if you can exactly build a rule about it, but I know what Rcgroups does is way uncool.

Yeah, let someone start endlessly flaming Great Planes on RCG and see how long they last.

easytiger
07-25-2006, 04:00 AM
You said a mouthfull! Same for GWS!

At least I can respect that...if someone just SAYS "shut up, that company is a major sponsor", I can live with that!