PDA

View Full Version : MagpieAP prop/engine questions

JediFlyer
07-24-2006, 12:31 AM
I am getting ready to plop down the cash for a MAP and I dont have all the green Id like to have for it. I am looking at the stock 400 motor the GWS EPS400C...but I think they also suggest a brushless stock motor but I dont see it...is it the Feigao 308422S?? What one would you go with and what size prop would I need to get? This will be stock built carrying up a Nikon 7900...OH if its the GWS...what one A, C, E or G?

Grasshopper
07-24-2006, 12:42 AM
Hi JediFlyer,

I'm also getting ready to build the Magpie AP. I'm paitently waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Here's what I ordered for mine from rcepower.com. If you PM Paul, he'll make you a good deal and he ships extremely fast. It's probably a little more motor than needed but I would rather fly at half throttle and have some extra if needed.

1. ea. 2908-10 motor
1. ea. TP30A Gen 2 ESC
3. ea. SG90 Servos
2. ea. Servo extension 12"

I'll probably start with an APC 10x7E or 10x8. I haven't narrowed down the battery yet.

Keep us posted with your build.

Tom

aviatordave
07-24-2006, 04:19 AM
Good advice Tom!

I'll be interested when you get yours in the air too.

both of you guys keep us posted, please.

Dave

Grasshopper
07-28-2006, 05:23 AM
Well my Magpie AP arrived today. I anxiously opened the box and was surprised. It looks like a buch of cut up styrofoam cooler parts and a bag of hardware. All in all it looks pretty good. I'm going to use a new Polyester spun fabric and Minwax Polycrylic to cover it. It looks fairly simple to assemble but I do have the first question. Where does the battery go? Best I can tell is that it hangs under the wing to one side of the fuse. Is this right? seems like it would throw it off balance.

Secondly, I was thinking of doing a build thread on it but wasn't sure if it would be helpful or not. I've not done a build thread before.

Kosh
07-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Mine balances with the 3 cell 2100 on top of the nose. Build it however you want it and use battery to make the C/G correct for your set up.
Do the build thread please, Theres lots of interest in this area and some cool ideas to make the plane better. Dave has some great simple things to make this a very versatile plane without spending a fortune. First hint, Get bigger tires, wheels for it. Think 2 1/2" as on the smallish size unless you land on pavement all the time.
Your turn, Lets see the build and hear what the latest thinking is.:D

Rugar
07-28-2006, 11:22 AM
I started on mine two nights ago with lots of pictures. I too am going to do a build thread. I was hoping the new WattFlyer update would be in place by the weekend before I started the thread so I don't have to re-size the photos.

Grasshopper
07-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I started on mine two nights ago with lots of pictures. I too am going to do a build thread. I was hoping the new WattFlyer update would be in place by the weekend before I started the thread so I don't have to re-size the photos.

I would love to read your build thread on it.

aviatordave
07-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Yes guys, it always is nice to see how others do things....even though I have been in the hobby for 20 years, I still do things that are bassackwards...lol you can learn from anybody.

As for the battery placement, like Kosh says, see where your CG ends up and put the battery where it needs to be to accomodate the CG. I ended mounting my camera at CG and believe it or not, my battery is at the CG mark as well. My plane came out at 34 oz with a Kokam 15c 2000 mah lipo.

If it hangs on the side of the fuse, you wont notice it when you fly, if anything a little drag on the airframe helps slow it down a little for better shooting.

keep us posted

Dave