PDA

View Full Version : The Tail of the Questionable Servo.

NUTS
07-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Well I spent about 18 to 20 hours putting this one together. It's the Tom Hunt designed "T3D". It was a great kit to build.
For some reason I used a couple of old GWS servos for the tail surfaces. The one for the elevator no problem, the one for the rudder acted a little funny when I tested it,"moved around a little when holding full right stick" but it quit, so against my better judgement I used it. BIG MISTAKE!
On the maiden everything went great, everything was hands off with no trimming. The T3D went were you pointed it every time. I was very impressed with Tom's design.
It happened at a fairly high ailtitude, I was seeing if I could do a knife edge loop and the rudder servo locked up at full right deflection. Nothing I did could stop it from happening. It took it around 8 to 10 seconds for it to spiral to it's death, I shut the motor down around 2 seconds before impact.

Enjoy the Pics.

Nuts

ForestCam
07-25-2006, 06:41 PM
You can rebuild it, you have the techology.

NUTS
07-25-2006, 06:48 PM
"Better, Stronger, Reliable Servos".:D

Thanks,
Nuts

firemanbill
07-25-2006, 07:19 PM
Just goes to show it can happen to all of us! Sorry for your loss...

Thanks for not making me feel so special!:p

I have long since learned not to try and skimp when it comes to servos. I planted my sons Mustang due a crappy Aileron servo. Locked up while banking left.

That was a nice looking bird too. I'm sure you can make it better than new in no time!