PDA

View Full Version : Just Plane Scary !!!

Kosh
07-28-2006, 08:27 AM
So I got out today to shoot some moutain stuff for the contest and normaly I would never post any video that didnt meet my standards but that was so scary I thought what the heck. :D
Now this is in a mountian pass were the winds come ripping through every afternoon and I screwed up and had it set to video so strap in for one scary hairy ride. :eek:

Winds are 18 mph on takeoff gusting to 26 so be warned its NOT smooth.

Please right click on the link and "save target as"

Dial Up 2.42MB: http://www.cascadeap.com/LK1.wmv

Hi Speed 30.6MB: http://www.cascadeap.com/LK.wmv

nova801428
07-28-2006, 08:52 AM
yea, thats way too windy for me.

aviatordave
07-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Neat !

That was pretty cool, also it shows that the magpie can be flown in wind.....serious wind!

With all that water I would have been scared too. I'd say your spotter looked overjoyed when you got it down in one piece.

thanks for sharing - Dave

Crash Test Dummy
07-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Nice video Kosh!! Thanks for posting it. That lake looked awesome, is that a AMA field? Nice lake, got any thing with floats?

CTD

Warden
07-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Jeez, I wish I'd a taken a dramamine!

Rugar
07-28-2006, 06:02 PM
It looks like both You, and the Plane handled it just fine. ;)

Kosh
07-28-2006, 07:55 PM
My spotter Dan (shoots my videos also) didn't think it to wise to fly there with the wind and was pretty skeptical about having usable footage. He was just as relieved as me to see the plane land in one piece. :D
On landing I had to keep the prop spinning to so the plane wouldn't get blown away and thats why why Dan is running for it. :eek:
AMA field? Sure why not ... lol :p
At present I have nothing with floats but I'm sure that will change soon enough. The only reason I even posted the video is to show that the Magpie will handle some real wind. Landings are another whole different matter and your on your own there. :o

adhoc
07-29-2006, 04:33 AM
I just watched it for the first time with sound, and I love the music... what is it?

Kosh
07-29-2006, 05:11 AM
The song is from the (Cartoon) Robotech soundtrack "Roy Fokkers Theme" and was used because it was the right size ... lol
What can I say, Always been a Robotech fan and liked the background music so its used in a few other videos on my site.

nakelp86
07-29-2006, 10:28 PM
hate to burst your bubble,
but in 15 knotts open water is white capping and the trees look pretty steady here.
It could be less that 10 knotts.
Nut I know Mpie can handle pretty easy bit over 15 knots.
Tried to take pictures of my fellows windsurfers once and in order for the board to get on a "plane" (skim the water and go fast) you need at least 10++ knotts. None of the pictures came out due to a bumpy flight and tricky aiming.
Mpie survived thou.

aviatordave
07-30-2006, 01:25 AM
Air speed can vary between mountain passes especially at 4k ft unlike at sea level where its wide open. Talk to some S&R folks who fly helicopters out west, they have a few good stories to share.

Dave (bubble still not burst :p ) :) :) :)

Kosh
07-30-2006, 01:53 AM
In the video you see a motor home, The guy inside was a pilot and had a weather station. I only used what he told me for wind speed and have no way to confirm that. He was telling me it was way too windy for my plane and I shouldn't fly it, You know how that works and only makes me want to try it more. :p

timocharis
07-30-2006, 03:42 AM
Seemed fine to me. Was it windy? We've got flyers around here who could make a much more exciting video just trying to fly straight and level on a calm day...

Dave

sierra-gold
08-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Great video! The MP handled the wind fine... and the pilot. :)

I'm sure it is mentioned in some other thread, but what camera are you using?

Thanks,

SG

Kosh
08-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks Sierra, The camera is a Nikon 3700 with a servo on top to trigger the shutter.

Ira
08-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Hey All, Kosh and I live in the same neck of the woods and let me tell ya the winds here can be a bear. I'm actualy on a island a bit north of Kosh and winds can be blowing 3-25mph varying constantly with lots of turbulance and come from all four points of the compass ALL WITHIN 5 MINUTES!!!! With all those trees and hills and being in a mountian pass this can only be even worse and I think that was quite a piece of flying! Ira

sierra-gold
08-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Thanks Sierra, The camera is a Nikon 3700 with a servo on top to trigger the shutter.

That's what I used to use... I foolishly sold it a couple of months ago with my MP AP as a package deal.

But I just got a "factory demo" 7900 off of Ebay that has a 1 year Nikon Warranty. I hope it is as represented.

Most people seem to be pleased with the 7900.

SG

Kosh
08-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Thanks Ira but the plane is the real star here for standing up to how should I put this, the less than ideal conditions it I try and fly it in ... lol :o

SG, The stuff I have seen on the 7900 makes it a fine choice for AP and a "factory demo" or "factory refurbished" camera goes for about half price most times so what a bargain. Cant wait to start seeing some more of your fine photos posted on here. :D