PDA

View Full Version : weight and e flight ascent

parkerflydelux
07-29-2006, 12:32 AM
ok the big brown glider del truck droped off my new "ASCENT" , question is ,the book of destructions tells me weight is a last resort .
but i seem to have to add alot of weight to the tail to level the plane ,is this normal ? so far all is stock from the factory .

any help ?
thanks

"sometimes it is better to sit and say nothing and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and leave no doubt"

Sky Sharkster
07-29-2006, 01:03 AM
Hi Parkflyerdelux, welcome to Wattflyer! Most of the Ascents I've seen come out pretty close to the recommended C.G., what battery are you running? Most of the flyers here are using 2 cell LiPo's but I think the weight works out with the smaller NiMHs also. I know it's a small battery compartment, only a certain size and shape will fit.
If you supply us with the battery size maybe we can make some suggestions.
Good Luck!
Ron

parkerflydelux
07-29-2006, 01:26 AM
the battery is a ni cad 2/3a * 8 cell , the one e flight told me to buy .

thanks for the help "SKY"

Sky Sharkster
07-29-2006, 03:16 AM
OK, if the battery is the recommended size we're limiting things down! I'll throw out a couple of questions, some will be dumb, but bear with me;
Is the battery as far back as you can get it?
Are the servos, ESC and RX in the suggested location? (See, I warned you some of these would seem dumb but I'm trying to cover all the bases!)
How far off is the C.G.?
How much weight does it take to get the C.G. to the recommended point?
If the first two answers are "Yes" then 3 and 4 are what we have left.
The only thing worse than adding weight to an airplane is trying to fly with a center of gravity that's off. That's not the same as saying that occasionally the manufacturer will print a C.G. that's not the best location. That does happen. Also, after flying the plane it's perfectly normal to "fiddle" with the C.G. (usually by moving the battery) to see if it flys better. This is part of "Trimming" or adjusting the plane to your flying style, weather conditions, etc. But for now, the suggested location is all we have so let's work with that.
Put some weight as far back on the boom (under the stab/rudder is ideal, just tape it on for now) until the model balances correctly. If that amount of weight added is in the 1/4 to 1/2 ounce range, you won't hurt the overall performance too much. Chances are you won't even notice it. Once you start getting up near (or, !!! over) an ounce on a speed 400-sized plane you're starting to talk about a noticable decline in performance. This will be 1/15th to one 1/20th of the overall weight.
Let me know how much weight it takes, and if it seems like too much we will try to work out some other solution.
Good Luck!
Ron

parkerflydelux
07-29-2006, 04:33 PM
ok now my stupid question , on a "prather" weight stick .what is the weight of one of the scored mark on the bar ? i have two and a half of the pre scored weights .
and yes all servos etc are per plan .
and the C.G. is about and inch off to the nose without weight.

Sky Sharkster
07-30-2006, 01:17 PM
I don't kow the weight increments of the "Prather" weights, there's another brand that comes in 1 oz. pieces and each piece has 4 lines on it, 1/4 oz per line. Does the package give the total weight? If not, do you have access to a small scale, maybe a drugstore or Post Office? If it turns out to be 2-1/2 quarter oz pieces (5/8th oz) you will be OK, just epoxy them on and go flying!
Ron