PDA

View Full Version : Slow stick camera mount, now with video!

firemanbill
07-30-2006, 04:52 AM
Ok So I;ve had this oregon Scientific camera for a few weeks now and have been trying to figure out the best way to mount it. I've been fumbling with velcro and various ways to get the right angle

So today I had the welder out working on a VW project and got to thinking... which at times can be dangerous.:o

Anyway here is what I came up with. I never thought the welder would be used to work on my R/C planes!:D

I welded a cross brace near the bottom of the main gear at the best angle to keep the prop out of the shot. The I put two pieces up to the fuse at a 45. Now I can lay the camera on that aund strap it down with the clip straps that came with the camera.

Now if it will ever cool off a bit and quit being so windy I'll get it back out.

aviatordave
07-30-2006, 05:00 AM
Thats pretty neat, I will look forward to see what results you get. I like watching videos and pics with the prop out of the way.

Dave

Grasshopper
07-30-2006, 05:04 AM
Looks good Bill. It looks like the Aerial Photography interest is growing around here!

Can't wait to see the pics.

firemanbill
07-30-2006, 05:07 AM
Thanks Guys! It didn't really take long to do it. It actually took longer to set the welder up than it did to do it!

I did kind of screwed it up since I forgot to turn the power back down from the steel I was welding on the bug before that!:eek: I kind of burned the gear in half... good thing I had a welder to fix it. lol

Anyway. I hope I can get it back out soon!

Kosh
07-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Thats so cool, My first thought was a welder on a SS? :eek: :D :eek: D'ooh
Turned out very nice and adds some real strength to the landing gear.
Cant wait to see it in action so work with the weather guy and get him pointed in the right direction. :)

firemanbill
07-30-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks kosh... That was my first thought too!:eek: But then I figured hey I'll probably do something no one else has tried for once! lol

I am going to have words with the weather man here very soon. Heat index forecast for the next three days here... 101, 112, 113!:eek: It was only 99 today...:(

ForestCam
07-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Old school would have been to wrap all your joints with thin coper wire, flux then solder them with a torch.
Even though I've got a 110v wirefeed I've never gotten good at welding stuff that small.

firemanbill
07-31-2006, 12:46 AM
Yeah I had thought about that but I figured what the heck.

All it took one or two quick zaps to made a super solid joint.

firemanbill
08-05-2006, 04:54 AM
Well the heat wave finally broke late this afternoon when the front rolled through. I have never been so happy to see wind and rain as I was today!

After it rolled through it really cooled off and the wind died so out I went. It was almost dark and still cloudy so I just flew out of the front of the house. pretty cool actually. first time I had done that except for with the Aero Ace or the Blade CX.

Anyway here is the video with the camera mounted to my new mount.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEA5Z47DSJI

aviatordave
08-05-2006, 05:01 AM
pretty neat, no prop in the picture and a good view facing forward. Your 'hood looks similiar to mine.

You got to like being able to take off and land from where you live, a nice asset to electrics.

Dave

firemanbill
08-05-2006, 05:05 AM
Yeah it is cool. You can't hear it at all from the ground. It sounds loud as heck in the video!

Hopefully tomorrow the sun will be shining and I can get some good clear video. I won't complain though if it's not. When the clouds and rain rolled through the temp dropped 20 degrees at our place. It was 100 when it started!:eek:

Kosh
08-05-2006, 05:37 AM
Nice work Bill, The camera angle is great and that mount looked rock solid. I think you have winning combo that you will have lots of fun with. Your cam doesn't add much drag so that lets you fly at alot more places then some of the other planes. Eagerly waiting for your next video !!!

Thanks, Kosh