PDA

View Full Version : Cmpro 3dPassion

TorqueKing
08-30-2005, 02:34 PM
At least a year ago i brought a Cmpro Passion 3D.
its taken me 8 months to finally get my act together to build it and have been thinkin...
All the servos and other electric gear are all ready set up inside it, but i still have to make a discission on how to power it.
Its a 61 sized aircraft and have picked out an engine to suit (a SuperTiger 61), but not long ago I was confronted with an idea, which was to put a brushless motor which the size would be equivelent, just to try something new.
but...i have no idea on wot brand, what size motor, wot sort of speedy i would need and most of all prices.
so i asked around and the only feedback i could get is, going electric for that size is very exspensive and would be a waste of time.
i would just like to know if it is worth giving it a try for something different.
If anyone can help me on this discission, or help me with some information it would be greatly appreciated

:rolleyes: ...trent

Matt Kirsch
08-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Australia... Yeah, it'll be expensive. Hobby stuff is reputed to be very expensive down under. Worth it? Heck yeah.

Electrics give you many options, and many of them are equally viable... Makes it tough, so sometimes you just have to pick a direction and go. Luckily, it's one of those things where if you do your homework and pick the right options, you couldn't go wrong if you tried.

If you're looking for sport plane performance, we can do it fairly easily. I'd run a 6S LiPoly pack like a Kokam 3200, with an AXi 4130/16 and 16x10 electric prop. That setup would draw about 50 Amps, so a good 50 Amp brushless ESC like a Jeti, Hacker, or Kontronik would be a good option.

Mike Parsons
08-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Whats the weight Trent?

Matt Kirsch
08-31-2005, 06:33 PM
BTW, weight is important, but if you stand back and look at the big picture, you will see that through the years, planes requiring a particular displacement engine fall into a particular narrow weight range. For example, typical .40-size glow planes weigh 5 to 6 pounds.

Okay... Forgot where I was going with that...

Anyway, the point of that statement was that just as a .61 glow is good for most ".60-size" planes, a particular electric power system is good for most ".60-size" planes.

TorqueKing
09-01-2005, 09:28 AM
oh ok, yeh since i was mentioned to about it, i have been non stop looking into it.
If i was going to go electric, as exspensive as it is, i would go the best lol.
i realise going this big is fairly important to have reliable gear.

uummm...I dont really know the weight of the 'Passion' it is at another members house as i dont have the room to build here.
but the weight of it (with everything but the motor), is amazingly light.
I will weigh it asap, and get back to you on that one.
It is full of lightening holes all over the plane, but what suprised me is they have not sacrifised strength.
I'll attatch a few pics just to give you an idea.

TorqueKing
09-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanx Matt, that sounds like a great set-up option.
'Axi' and 'Jeti' are very popular brands over here, but they aren't cheap.
Have u heard of The 'Li-poly' called 'Tanic Packs'?. they are new over here and was wondering if they are out over in the U.S.
But ive also heard of the 'Kokam Packs' many times before and sound reliable.
thanx....trent

HACKER_RULES
09-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi fellow Oz Eflyer,
I have a converted Corby Starlet that uses an AXI 4130/16, 80 amp MGM esc,15x12 APC pattern prop on 6S1P 4400 Polyquest cells for a current draw of 43 amps (6300 rpm on the ground). Model flys extreamly well and most of the time at half throttle, full power only being used for the verticle bits. AUP of the model is 3.4kg.

Cheers HR

TorqueKing
09-01-2005, 01:48 PM
lol..hello
well youd have to be happy with that outcome.
do u have any nitro models?...would u choose electric over glow fuel?
this is 1 hard descision to make ive got a Supertiger 61 able to put it in.
but im wanting to try something new lol
how long does ur Li-po last until u need to charge again?
lol sorry got many questions
...trent

HACKER_RULES
09-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Hi Trent,
I flew slimers for 27 years, but for the last 4 years nothing but sparkies and slope soarers ( would never go back ). With regard to how long will the Starlet fly on a single charge? Well, about 10 to 15 minutes depending on how much full throttle is used.

Cheers HR

TorqueKing
09-02-2005, 01:20 PM
hay, thats suprisingly good flight time.
Thats about eqiuvelant to a glow models flight.
Can i ask what sort of charger you use to top up your Li-Po?
Ive also done a bit of research and for a Axi 4130/16 and Jeti 50 amp speedy it came up to at least 500$ Ausy dollar.
now it comes to the descision lol...
...trent

Matt Kirsch
09-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Tanic packs have been around the USA for quite a while. They were the first with 10C cells as I recall. Good reputation. Good value, considering the cost of LiPoly.

HACKER_RULES
09-03-2005, 06:18 AM
Hi Trent,
the charger I use is a Schulze Chamaleon 6-330 d.

Cheers HR