PDA

View Full Version : Point & Shoot / Helmet Cam

rahtware
08-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi all Just got back from returning an Oregon Scientific Helmet Cam that I picked up to use in an existing glider.

I already have a Pure Digital Point & Shoot camcorder, which is an awkward shape to put in a plane, but takes very good videos... So good that I just couldn't live with the much poorer quality videos that the Helmet Cam produced.

Both CCs record at 640x480, but I can play back the P&S videos at about 4 times the size of the HCs videos, and with much less distortion! Also, the HCs software is hard to install, hard to use and looks like it was written in 1975... OTOH, the P&S software is actually firmware installed in the CCs memory. It automatically downloaded the first time I hook up the P&S to my computer (via a USB plug built into the camera).

At first the OSHC looked cheaper ($79 for the HC / $109 for the P&S), but by the time I added a $30 memory chip (to equal the 30min storage time built into the P&S) the price came out to be about the same.

I am so sold on the P&S, I designed a plane around it and a 380 sized (or BP-21 out-runner) motor... More on that later.

GallopingGhost
08-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Post some samples if you can so we can see the difference. You may be able to help someone out.

rahtware
08-02-2006, 11:40 PM
I'll try, I think I still have some test videos on the memory chip. Trouble is I have to find my card reader, I haven't seen it in a month or two...

ForestCam
08-03-2006, 12:13 AM
I noticed last week that they're selling the Pure Digital's at Home Depot now.

Are they limited to 20 minutes of video and can you watch more then just your last video like the CVS cams are?

rahtware
08-03-2006, 01:07 AM
Here are a couple of "captures", the first is from the Helmet Cam, the second is from the Point & Shoot.

I understand that that these aren't a fair compairson, but the first one is all I have left from the HC. I saw the same light and focus problems in the other shots I took with it. I understand that I might have bought a bad camera, but I just didn't like the software and camera setup enough to try another one.