PDA

View Full Version : 2 crashes caused by a forgotten radio

jb48
08-04-2006, 01:25 PM
I belong to a small RC flying club (8 members total) and most of the time I fly at our field alone or with only another member. Yesterday afternoon, I went flying there and we were 5 members at the field. One member use channel 15 and channel 20 (he has many planes and 2 TX). I fly channel 15 also on my only one TX and 2 planes.
My friend (we are all friends in this club) was flying a Telemaster on channel 15. I prepared my Superstar ES and my Easy Star while he was resuming his flight. His Telemaster was back at the pit since at least five minutes and asked everyone if channel 15 was free. Got an affirmative answer. I hand launched my Superstar as usual, it climbed to about 15 feet and suddenly nose dived full power in the grass. Extensive damage happened when the power pack went thru the firewall and jammed under the motor. We all checked what happened, tested connections, servos, rx, trims, everything except one.
Mystery crash not solved, I took my faithful Easy Star, checked it, and hand launched it. Same thing at the same height! Front fuselage 90% broken at about wing`s leading edge position. Damn it. We checked everything again and found nothing. I was then thinking that my radio tx had a problem (Optic 6). I removed the crystal module et put it in tight. Then, I remembered my friend`s channel 15 tx. I asked him to check if it was off. His tx was standing by his Telemaster, 3 bright lights illuminating his JR Quattro! Culprit found! I glued back the Easy Star fuselage and made a beautiful 20 minutes flight.
Can I tell you that I swear to double check any other channel 15 tx before flying. To worsen aggravation, we have a flying board with all channels and clothespins...that nobody use! A big lesson there.

Crash Test Dummy
08-04-2006, 03:30 PM
We have about 60 members at my club. I have only found 1 other guy on the same Freq that I run and he is almost never there. Sorry to hear about your crash. The nice thing about foam is you can fix on the spot.

CTD

EpoweredRc
08-04-2006, 05:11 PM
well it should have been going crazy before you ever launched it.
Sorry to hear, you have to check people I know I do, i do double and triple checks when im at the club feild.

jb48
08-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Foamiesrfun: his radio was about 100 feet from nine and on the ground. My planes were on the ground and my radio in my hands, standing up. I noticed nothing unusual till the planes launched...but it was too late!

dmmalish
08-05-2006, 02:01 PM
use this and don't go up if some one is on your freq.

Hobbico 72MHz Radio Frequency Checker (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJUP2&P=M)

EpoweredRc
08-05-2006, 05:48 PM
use this and don't go up if some one is on your freq.

Hobbico 72MHz Radio Frequency Checker (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJUP2&P=M)

Thats a great device, every club should buy one and leave it on the board, then you would be 100% sure.

Okay I understand, your plane worked fine cause you would closer to it but once launched his radio was closer. makes sense. sorry for your luck