PDA

View Full Version : Good News on Photo uploads!

aviatordave
08-04-2006, 06:32 PM
It looks like the new update will let us post photos without having to resize. It works with my 5 mp camera at full resolution....<it will not work on 3008 x 2000 dimension files and up - 7 megapixels or higher>

I know it was a pain to have to resize, hope this helps people post more!

here is my test (no subject matter)

2560x1920 pixels

2.5 meg ----> auto resized to 360 kb

ForestCam
08-04-2006, 06:52 PM
360k is still pretty big for dialup folks though. I usually try to keep mine under 50k.

admin
08-04-2006, 07:46 PM
that one is 360k because of the grassy detail. to be expected.

if some images are over 7MB let me know I could up the limit a bit more but right now I think it is at 5mb to 6mb per file

aviatordave
08-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Forest,

oh geez.......I keep forgetting about that.

Just curious, do you bother to open up the thumbnails since your on dial up?

ForestCam
08-04-2006, 10:07 PM
I've had cable for nearly 8 years but I still remember what it was like to have pitifuly slow dialup connection. :D

sierra-gold
08-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Forest,

oh geez.......I keep forgetting about that.

Just curious, do you bother to open up the thumbnails since your on dial up?

I just clicked on the thumbnail and the larger photo is very pixelated. Must be something "they" are doing in the load?

SG

sierra-gold
08-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Just downloaded your large photo and it was pixelated on my computer. I resized it from 1200x900 to 600x450 and it is much sharper.

I will attempt to upload my smaller file (95K) here and see what you think.

SG

*** It appears on my computer that whatever they are doing to handle large photos hurts the quality of the photo quite a bit. How does it look to anyone else? ***

Eric_N57105
08-13-2006, 10:57 PM
I just clicked on the thumbnail and the larger photo is very pixelated. Must be something "they" are doing in the load?

SG

I noticed that too. However, notice that the cursor changes to a + sign meaning you can enlarge the photo. When you do, the crud disappears and the photo is MUCH better.

This isn't going to make me real popular, but it doesn't make much sense to strive for the best photo images using AP, then have to reduce them below 360K for convenience of dial up users at the expense of broadband users.

If someone wants to help out the dial up users, it would be better to post a second low res photo for this purpose.

Eric
www.ke6us.com

simibill
08-13-2006, 11:05 PM
It appears on my computer that whatever they are doing to handle large photos hurts the quality of the photo quite a bit. How does it look to anyone else? ***

Looks great to me. As for dial up folk, I can't be very sympathetic as DSL can be had for less than $13/month. I do realize some folks can't get DSL due to their location.

sierra-gold
08-14-2006, 01:00 AM
You know this may have something to do with what resolution one runs their monitor at. I'm at age 62 finding I'm more comfortable with larger text and Icons, so I run my 19" monitor at a low resolution...800x600.

I'm going to increase it and see how the photo looks. Be right back.....

OK, I went up to 1280x800 and the original photo still is pixelated (the trees look like they have Xmas ornaments on them).

What resolution are some of you running your monitors at?

Interesting.

I always reduce my photos to 600 x 450 before uploading and usually set the JPEG quality for less than 100K in size, before I save.

SG

sierra-gold
08-14-2006, 01:14 AM
Looks great to me. As for dial up folk, I can't be very sympathetic as DSL can be had for less than $13/month. I do realize some folks can't get DSL due to their location.

Well as you mentioned, it's not all about money.

Until about 3 years ago my small town outside of Auburn in the Sierra foothills only had Dialup available. Cable Internet now runs $38 per month, but to me it's worth it. :)

Had I stayed in Moorpark I'd be saving all kinds of money I guess. I do miss flying gliders with the TOSS club. (Thousand Oaks)

SimiBill - you are saying that the orig. photo in post #1 looks the same as my smaller version in post #7?

SG

aviatordave
08-14-2006, 04:20 AM
ya, it is pixeled....I didnt really notice it too much after I did it. Maybe I should continue to just keep the size down.

Dave