PDA

View Full Version : Suggested thread

Tailspin Ken
08-30-2005, 09:59 PM
Because there are so many new people entering the hobby, the question of which first plane to buy comes up very often. Would it be possible to make a permanent list of "first plane" "first aileron trainer" "first balsa build" as a reference for them?
Forum members could make posts in the column catorgories and this would remain as a permanent reference thread. The new flyer would be able to immediately read these posts instead of waiting for a reply on the forum or going through a forum search. After reading the suggestions, the new flyer could return to the forum and post specific questions about a given model.
If possible, the suggestion index could even be arranged by model "Slow Stick" recommendations, "Firebird" recommendations etc. And aircraft category "first electric" First aileron trainer" etc.
I think this would provide a useful format for theose new to the hobby as well as a platform for the experienced pilots to more efficiently impart their knowledge and promote the hobby.
Thanks,
Ken :)

Mike Parsons
09-02-2005, 01:57 AM
I am not sure if categories could be designated in a thread (Marc would have to answer that one), but a thread in the beginners forum with "suggestions for first time flyers" would be a great idea I think.

admin
09-02-2005, 04:40 AM
Not sure if there is a logical way to do this. Things change too and so do recommendations as models go in and out of favor so it might be too fluid over a period to try and skin the cat like that. not sure...??

Tailspin Ken
09-02-2005, 06:39 AM
Marc,
I am not trying to shamelessly promote my suggestion, but it seems there are several tried and true and "favorite" first planes. They fall into 3 classes 1.RTF 2.ARTF and 3. Build.
There are several planes that would fall under each category, and having experienced flyers write a couple lines on their favorites might be a great help to the first time flyer.
Of course,making a suggestion is one thing. Doing all the work to implement is a whole different story.
Ken

Geoff_Gino
09-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Hi Marc

On this subject - how about a tech page with notes on how to's and how not to. Something in the line of the flying techniques page at R/C warbirds on R/C Universe.

Question, has anyone used the chat room. Been n a cuple of times with no luck. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Geoff

John Seidelman
09-02-2005, 11:54 PM
You just have to sit and wait, someone will pop in. I have also been there several times and only chatted one time. Just stay a while longer and we will find you..

John Seidelman
09-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Is there any way to keep the chat window on top? So while we wait to chat we can still browse the site.

Mike Parsons
09-03-2005, 01:08 AM
I think the only way is if you resize the browsers to fit within your computer screen.