PDA

View Full Version : My wife is awesome! Happy B-day to me!

crxmanpat
08-06-2006, 12:02 AM
OK, so yesterday (8/4) was my 40th birthday. Of course, my wife has things up her sleeve for the big event. First, my mom flew in from Orlando on Thursday. I had no clue. Then yesterday, my dad who lives in Tampa walked through the door of our house. Again, no clue.

And to top it all off, we all load into the car this morning to "go get my birthday present". Well, we head off down I-10 towards Tucson. About 60 miles later I'm blindfolded. We get off the interstate, and drive about 10 miles and stop. Still blindfolded, I am led out of the car and up to a building. Turns out we were in Eloy, AZ at Skydive Arizona! Yeehaw, I've always wanted to go skydiving!

So I get signed up for a tandem jump, and of course we have to get the full video and digital still picture package. So, attached are some of the 79 pics taken during my jump this morning. Links to video will be posted once my webmaster gets back from California in a few weeks.

And the weather couldn't have been any nicer! Beautiful blue sky and not too warm. We climbed into a Twin Otter and took to the sky to 13500'. We go out and freefall about 60 seconds to 5500' and pull the cord. Got about 4 minutes under the canopy until touchdown. Man what a ride! I was stoked!

Don Sims
08-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Congrats and happy Birthday Pat! Looks like a blast, I have know idea why someone would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane! ;)

firemanbill
08-06-2006, 12:16 AM
What a RUSH! I bet it was awesome. Happy Bday!

crxmanpat
08-06-2006, 12:25 AM
Thanks Don and Bill. It was great fun!

adhoc
08-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Wow, what an awesome birthday gift! Maybe someday I'll get a hot air ballon ride (more my speed)... Congrats!!

Grasshopper
08-06-2006, 01:36 AM
Happy Birthday Pat! That's pretty neat. My wife did the same thing for me on my 40th. Although it wasn't a total suprise and I wasn't blind folded. She told me the night before. It was a rush though.

ForestCam
08-06-2006, 01:43 AM
Gee and all I got for my 40th was my P-38 :D

Congrats!

firemanbill
08-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Tom, was it as much fun jumping out of a Jenny... or was it a stearman!:eek:

Just kidding of course:p

I got a NOS, (new old stock) roof rack for my beetle for my 40th. My 43rd, this year was the best though. Ultimate Bipe and a Spektrum!

crxmanpat
08-06-2006, 02:30 AM
Gee and all I got for my 40th was my P-38 :D

Congrats!
Hmmmm....Maybe I should send an email to Mr Lin. :p

EpoweredRc
08-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Happy birthday, but if my wife gave me that present Ild tell her shes jumping, No way Jose.....

Jason T
08-06-2006, 03:37 AM
Pat,

Congrats on the birthday! That looks awesome! :)

Jason

crxmanpat
08-06-2006, 03:48 AM
Actually, I kinda had an idea what it would be. It was really a toss-up between two things: skydiving, or a ride in an AT-6 Texan (the AZ Wing of the CAF is 6 miles from my house). I'm glad it was skydiving, it will probably be the only time I do it.

The ride in the AT-6 will be next year. ;)

Grasshopper
08-06-2006, 03:52 AM
I'm kind of like you Pat. I really enjoyed it but it's not something I want to do every weekend. The next thing we did was a hot air balloon ride. Totally Cool! I would definitely do that again.

crxmanpat
08-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Yeah, I pour way too much money into this addiction than to go out and buy $5K worth of equipment and pay $21 per jump. It's one of those "Things to do before I die" items. Right up there with hang gliding, ballon ride, scuba diving, etc.

The AT-6 ride is next on the list though. My dad did it too a few years ago, and they let him take the stick for a while. I'm hoping for the same thing as I have had private flight instruction before. I'd love to get up there and do some barrel rolls and loops!

NUTS
08-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Congrats Pat,
Those were some great pics. Once again, if the plane landed safely then why would you jump out:D Happy 40th.

Regards,
Nuts