PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the Hangar 9 Xtra Easy Photo Op?

xray328
08-08-2006, 12:41 AM
I picked one of these up today to try my hand at AP. Anyone try one of these? It was under $15 and is setup for a Kodak Max camera, although I'm sure just about any camera would work.

Kosh
08-08-2006, 08:05 PM
xray, I tried to find a pic of the mount your talking but didnt see anything.
Any chance you could take a few photos and post them here for the rest of us? I was thinking it might make a nice mount for people that dont want to build there own. Thanks

aviatordave
08-08-2006, 08:45 PM
I think this is it

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN1327

I never saw it before, looks pretty neat

Kosh
08-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Thanks Dave, This mount looks pretty solid and easy to mod to fit most anything plus it can do a 360 if mounted on the underside of a plane. Makes me think I have to head to the big hardware store and see if I can tinker some parts together for another mount.
I hate it when you guys give me these ideas and I have to act on it right away. :p :D :p

aviatordave
08-08-2006, 09:09 PM
ya I know....my gears are spinning also. Have more planes and 1 mount, easier to attach and simple....versatile....

I get most of my stuff from the metal scrap bins here at work...I might have to go dumpster diving (thats what the co-workers call me when I have an idea!)

Dave

xray328
08-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Yep, that it. You almost can't beat it for $14.99. I saw it on the shelf and figured what the heck. I really wanted to try AP, but just never had the time to fab a mount.

I like the fact the it has a little shelf for the servo to sit on. I just zip tied my servo to it.

My wife wouldn't let me strap on our digital camera so I went out and got a $10 35mm.

Heres the way I did it. But obviously theres endless possibilites. And FYI, its very solid. I also like the fact that it was good quality foam on it to reduce the vibrations.

aviatordave
08-09-2006, 03:36 AM
Thats pretty neat. You will have to scan some photos in when you get them.

Dave

onrecess
08-11-2006, 12:26 AM
I had one of these (and probably still do) I bought for my Extra Easy when I first learned to fly. It worked great. I bought a really cheap 35 mm motor drive camera (the lightest one Walgreens had). Flew by myself taking pictures, took great shots of the field...
It was neat showing myself flying the plane with a picture taken from the plane. I was running nitro, but the vibration didn't seem to hurt most of the pictures.

xray328
08-11-2006, 01:05 AM
Do you get blurring since the planes obviously moving?

sierra-gold
08-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Most blurring comes from motor vibration which can be eliminated by shutting down the throttle and taking photos while gliding. A well balanced prop also helps.

If you can control the camera to take "fast" setting photos the motion blur is not a problem. Nikon point-and-shoots have a Sports Mode that can be used to avoid motion blur. Other cameras may have a similar setting.

SG