PDA

View Full Version : no more glue

parkerflydelux
08-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Hi guys
thanks for all the input ,but i may have to go to rc cars as i'm out of glue ,seems i have crashed six planes in three months ,do you think i need rc cars ,more glue,an rc sim or a seeing eye dog .i so do love the flight but this is starting to suck . i need to start something new weather it be a trainer or what .

any help ? thanks again all .
jimmy

Sky Sharkster
08-08-2006, 01:56 AM
Hi Jimmy, sorry to hear you're having bad luck with the flying, but you can do it! Here's a few suggestions, in no particular order;
Do you live within driving distance of a model flying site? If so, go there and ask about their training program (maybe call first and ask). Modelaircraft.org has a listing of all the AMA clubs in the US. Check them out. If it's not possible to train at a club, ask at local hobby shops who's flying locally and give'm a call. Chances are they'll help you trim out your planes, trim them for you or "Buddy" box (dual controls) your flight.
A sim will help a lot; It's possible to find a free one online, don't have the URL handy but it's here (Wattflyer) somewhere. A cheap 2 gimbel controller from Walmart will be enough to give you the feel of a TX.
I'm sure you were joking about your eyesight but when was the last time you had it checked? Even a small correction helps a lot. I'm 20/40 in one eye and couldn't fly a small model at any distance without my glasses.
Last, try a "Slow Stick". Sure it's dumb-looking and there's a zillion of them flying. Why? Because they practically fly themselves!
A big part of sucess is confidence and right now yours is low. Build it up! Get some quality stick time, sucessful take-offs and landings, do a loop or two, a touch-and-go.
Hope you don't give up, model flying should be FUN!
Ron

HoggZilla
08-08-2006, 05:25 AM
Jimmy, I can relate. I am on my 5th plane this year. But, I can tell you, there is light, BIG light coming.

I have two of them flying now and love it. Since I do all park flying, just down the road from my house, I chose not to pursue the club and professional help. I am sure that would have worked great. In fact, a freind of mine is doing just that and it is great for him.

Instead, I went the Simulator route and I have to say I love it. Not only did it teach me to control the plane but I really enjoy it. If it's windy, rainy, cold, hot, night or whenever, my pc is right there waiting for me to fly. For me, it is FUN. Almost as fun as flying at the park, almost.

Also I definately agree the Slow Stick is a GREAT choice.

Just my 2cents.

Oh, yeah, I have crashed over 1,000 times in the sim - probably a lot more. Tonight I took the F15 out for a spin, something I wont own anytime in the near future. It really makes a mess at 200+ when it contacts the ground. :D I have the RealFlight G3. I wish it logged my hours and kept up with number of crashes and estimated dollar value of wrecked and repaired planes. That would be pretty cool to know.

ragbag
08-08-2006, 07:16 AM
Hobby Lobby has brought the Wingo back.
I watch one fly the other day and could not beleive how slow and easy it was to fly.
Evan a cave man can do it, I know.

Ugly as sin, but then some of the patch jobs on the other craft i see doesn't make them a winner in a beauty contest.

Beauty isn't what we are looking for, it's selfconfidence.

Down side, there is always one. It is not a windy weather plane/ 4-5 mph, anything more might be a handfull for some.

.:)

ragbag
08-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Hobby Lobby has brought the Wingo back.
I watch one fly the other day and could not beleive how slow and easy it was to fly.
Evan a cave man can do it, I know.

Ugly as sin, but then some of the patch jobs on the other craft i see doesn't make them a winner in a beauty contest.

Beauty isn't what we are looking for, it's selfconfidence.

Down side, there is always one. It is not a windy weather plane/ 4-5 mph, anything more might be a handfull for some.

.:)NEW! Best flying RC trainer? - It's back -- and better than ever!

Plug-n-Fly Ready!
IMD5500 "Wingo USA" The Greatest R/C Parkflyer Airplane ..... $119.90
Introductory SPECIAL! ..... $ 99.90
IN STOCK

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hlwingo.htm

Jason T
08-08-2006, 11:52 AM
I agree with Ron. The best way to learn is with someone who is experienced with rc planes. Plus if you do live near a local club you can meet a lot of great people there with the same interest as you.:)

debhicks
08-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Oh well the Soarstar has been my staple. And it flys well in the wind. Teaches you a lot about flying in the wind. So have a ball. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. Got a 2100 mah lipo in it and never go above 1/4 throttle. Fly's 40 min if you are soaring and will fly continuous 30 min before the battery gets hot. Put the DX 6 in ours and just put a camera on it. It is a great platform for that too.

Warden
08-08-2006, 03:05 PM
AND the Soarstar flies great off of floats, too! It also handles the wind extremely well. I fly mine in anything short of a hurricane!:)

Really, the Soarstar is an excellent ship to learn on AND to have fun with if you're an experienced flyer.

Hobby Lobby is selling the Wingo again and it's supposed to be new and improved. The Soarstar was originally a Wingo clone with added improvements that made it a better flyer than the Wingo. If the new Wingo pulled a turn around and copied the Soarstar, then the Wingo should be a good plane as well.

Here's a shot of my Soarstar on floats.

parkerflydelux
08-10-2006, 12:11 AM
Hey Guys
thanks again for the help , now that i'm over my pitty party guess i'll keep trying ,maybe put my omie glider aside for a bit and get one of those "soarstar" planes ,as a mater of fact they do somewhat look like a ultralight plane that i did fly a few times many moons ago . and if i painted it camo and put a Ken doll in the pilots seat it may not look so silly.
and as a divorce "barbie" comes with all of ken's S**T .. she may have overlooked the ultralight <grin> ..
again thanks for all of you people being here.

Jimmy