PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in motors

Plane_freak
08-31-2005, 05:52 AM
I have been using electric motors for a while noe. I have never flown gas nor glo. What is the best way to break in a motor?
Do brushless motors need to be broken in?

Geoff_Gino
08-31-2005, 06:27 AM
Hi

Brushless motors don't need to be broken in. Hang on tight you're not going to believe this!! Brushed motors get broken in under water. Normally immerse the motor in a container of water and run it for the time specified by the manufacturer.

Geoff

Plane_freak
08-31-2005, 06:42 AM
Do I submerge it completely under water or just up to the magnets?

Geoff_Gino
08-31-2005, 07:04 AM
Hi again

Really not sure. Pure water (distilled) does not conduct electricity and tap water generally doesn't either. Never did break in a brushed myself, read the instructions and then fitted a brushless. The object though is to seat the brushes on the commutator and get rid of the carbon that results from the first run.

Try a PM to Mike one of the moderators or ReformedNitroAddict, they have done the break in, also did see a thread where someone who did the break in on motor that had problems and sent it back for a replacement. It's in the forum somewhere.

Geoff

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
08-31-2005, 12:06 PM
At one time I heard that you need to sink the brush motor in water after connecting it to a "D" cell and let it run out, but I never saw anything confirming that process, so I never did it.

What I did get from other sources is to connect 2 "D" cells to the motor so that you get around 3 volts, and just let it run out until the batteries are dead. (Nothing about sinking it in water)

Heidelberg Germany Flyer

Unbalanced prop
08-31-2005, 03:45 PM
When I had brushed motors, I broke them in using water something like this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201081&highlight=water+breakin+

It seemed to work OK, but I nver checked out how much longer a broken in one ran. Motors broken in with water did seem to have less sparking around the brushes and I always got good performance a long life from them. Just be sure and oil the bushings or bearings when you are done.

Doug

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
08-31-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the link on using water during the breakin.

Interesting reading... I think I'll try it.

Heidelburg Germany Flyer

ron_van_sommeren
08-31-2005, 09:51 PM
@Heidelberg etc.etc
www.rclineforum.de ??