PDA

View Full Version : Bad motor + wind = Kinked Slow Stick Fuselage

mpotter187
08-09-2006, 01:34 PM
I am still learning to fly but have had success in very light winds when the motor made full power. I then noticed that the plane lacked power and couldn't even do a ROG takeoff. I could still hand launch and it had enough power to stay up. That was until yesterday, I made sure my batteries where charged, and the motor/gearbox was turning smoothly without and binding or excess play. Then during my lunch break went down to a local park and tried to fly. I had to hand launch again and the 400 motor in the slow stick could barely keep the plane airborne. I tried to climb so I could bring it back before it crashed, too late the wind kicked up and I was fighting for control. I lost control and proceeded to nose dive right into the ground. The prop saver kept me from breaking the prop, but directed all the energy right into motor causing the aluminum fuselauge to kink from the motor being pushed into it. Oh well I won't be lacking power now, I just ordered a Brushless motor LiPo combo along with a one piece fuselage :D. Check out the pic the gears are green from the chunk of sod I took when it nosed in.

firemanbill
08-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Too bad... The bright side though is you will be extremely happy with the brushless setup. It'll act like a different plane. I have the 400 xt on mine and can rog in about 2 1/2 feet! less if it's into the wind!:D

ForestCam
08-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Good place to kink it too! Just cut behind the kink and move the mount back. I had mine do the same thing right between the battery holders and all I did was cut the kinked area out then use the joiner section (that's supposed to go in the tail) to put it back togeather.
:D

crxmanpat
08-09-2006, 10:23 PM
You can easily take 4-5" off the Slow Stick boom and still had a good plane. In fact, a friend of mine cut 4" off and moved his tail feathers forward on his combat Stick.

I have 2, and have already hacked off at least 2" from the nose of each.

Don Sims
08-10-2006, 01:23 AM
It should fly with authority and there might be something else wrong too. Is the writing on your prop facing forward? Also tell us about your battery and prop size.

mpotter187
08-10-2006, 03:15 AM
It should fly with authority and there might be something else wrong too. Is the writing on your prop facing forward? Also tell us about your battery and prop size.

The writing on the prop was out. It is a Slow stick with the 400 motor, a 10x6 prop (same size that came with it) and a GWS 7 cell 750 mah
NIMH battery. At first I was able to easily do a ROG takeoff but after I replaced a broken gearbox it never seemed the same. The gearbox would spin easily until it was hooked to the motor then it always seemed to be binding. The old 280 Great Planes Motor I had laying around and gearbox feels allot smoother and the prop would easily spin by hand, plus and I noticed the 400 motor would get hot even after a minute of flying. I am convinced something in the motor was out of alignment, I just wished I would've figured it out before killing the fuselage. Maybe I will pull the motor apart and figure it out.

Slowdoc
08-17-2006, 11:23 PM
Hi folks: My new SS with 300 motor just don't want to take off straight and wants to climb and stall imediately. Five in a row. Not sure if motor to weak or caint get CG right. It seems that everybody has different wing position and electronic arrangement. With 2s Lipo 7.4v 1700 mwh mounted under stick in front of wing manual calls for 135mm from tip of stick to front wing mount. Does anyone disagree with manual on this? Would I be better off to mount battery under wing? with 145mm arrangement? I just cain't get off and running. Went thru 4 gears, shaft, ousing, and props.

ForestCam
08-17-2006, 11:50 PM
You're tail heavy. Try moving the wing back a bit since you already have the battery ahead of the wing.

A simple rig that I use to check my CG is two 2 liter pop bottles (full), just put one under each wing and try to get the plane to balance with them 1/3 of the way back from the leading edge.

If you want more accuracy tape a couple of 1" long dowels (or pieces of a broken pencil) to the caps.

Slowdoc
08-18-2006, 04:17 AM
Great method of testing balance. Can back away to view from all angles and see what's not right. Thanks a $M. I see you like batteries on top of stick in front of wing. Since i just bought a GWS 2c-1300mwh I'll relocate it up on top of stick. I see you have already upgraded to BL with 3c Lipo. What size batt, prop and motor is working for you??

ForestCam
08-18-2006, 04:28 AM
1300 mAh and a 9x4.3

Slowdoc
08-18-2006, 05:06 AM
Which one of the tower pro motors are you using?

ForestCam
08-18-2006, 05:16 PM
400xt (picked it up on one of their $15 specials) and with this combo it'll almost do 3D :D

mpotter187
08-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Here is another trick I use to help balance my Slow Stick, don't permanently mount the electronics until your CG is setup. I usually use scotch or electrical tape to mount the ESC and receiver then once I have everything setup perfectly, then I mark their locations then mount them with servo tape. This allows you to move those around to help fine tune the balance.

I had my first completely successful flight ever yesterday with the Slow Stick, I replaced the fuselage I originally kinked and changed the power to a GWS BL003 Brushless motor and a 3 cell 1800 MAH Li PO. Made the plane fly allot better, now it climbs with authority at any angle and performs loops with ease. Not to mention I had a 10+ minute flight time and it still had power to spare.