PDA

View Full Version : Server too busy

slipstick
08-10-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble getting into WF in the mornings UK time. I keep getting something like "Server too busy, try later". Usually it's worst from about 9:15 to 10:00 BST (8:15-9:00 UTC/GMT). It's only started recently and since there are very few people around on the forums I guess there are some automated jobs running, backups perhaps, as it's probably the middle of the night where you are ;).

I don't suppose much can be done, but I thought I'd mention it just in case :).

Steve

aviatordave
08-10-2006, 05:13 PM
I've gotten that message a few time here as well, a couple times during lunch - 12:00 pm CST. Usually I wait a couple min and I can get in.....seems to have started doing this after the update, but could just be coincidence.....surely this site doesnt have bandwidth problems.

admin
08-10-2006, 06:53 PM
yes I set a stop gap measure if the loads go to high to deliver that message rather than get into a run away process situation. this allows things to remain under control and get back to normal. backups at certain times or heavy search engine spidering can cause this or just hackers banging on the site.

I do have plans on expanding the platform and architecture for hosting wattflyer as it grows in the next month or two which will raise this ceiling MUCH higher. I may in fact be balancing it on an network of 30 servers!

Twmaster
08-11-2006, 06:17 AM
I do have plans on expanding the platform and architecture for hosting wattflyer as it grows in the next month or two which will raise this ceiling MUCH higher. I may in fact be balancing it on an network of 30 servers!

GEEK! :D

firemanbill
08-11-2006, 01:08 PM
GEEK! :D

good for us eh?!:D

Grasshopper
08-11-2006, 01:32 PM
I was aways told when I was younger to be nice to the Geeks because one day you'll be working for one.

firemanbill
08-11-2006, 01:35 PM
you got that right...:D

BBird
08-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Same here and at 5:30 AM (EST) on a Friday! I want to participate more but this is happening very frequently and I am tired of typing in posts with researched help and other comments that end up in "Server Too Busy". Frustrating as heck! I am probably going to go back to RCG until this is fixed.

rca
08-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Geek - that's what my wife tells everybody I do for a living since she can't figure out what it is I really do.

I've never had this issue at Wattflyer, but I did get it at RCG 5 times yesterday.

aviatordave
08-25-2006, 07:49 PM
but I did get it at RCG 5 times yesterday.

at least someone is getting it! :p

I had the problem there as well for about a half hour straight before I said heck with it.

frvrngn
08-25-2006, 07:50 PM
I get this quite a bit lately. It is VERY frustrating when you typed out a nice reply, post, etc and then it tells you "server busy". You hit back and its gone! I just got it during lunch yesterday and today...

Rugar
08-25-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm getting it here quite often too. Even at 1:00am :confused:.

firemanbill
08-25-2006, 08:17 PM
same here. Times vary...

rca
08-25-2006, 08:26 PM
I get this quite a bit lately. It is VERY frustrating when you typed out a nice reply, post, etc and then it tells you "server busy". You hit back and its gone! I just got it during lunch yesterday and today...

I try to remember Ctrl-A to highlight all and Ctrl-C to copy before I hit submit on a big post. Then I can just past it back in and not lose it all.

frvrngn
08-25-2006, 08:30 PM
I try to remember Ctrl-A to highlight all and Ctrl-C to copy before I hit submit on a big post. Then I can just past it back in and not lose it all.

I have just started doing that! I just have to remember to do it every time. At least I am a semi-quick typer. Its just a pain...

BlizzardBoy
08-25-2006, 09:51 PM

I don't seem to get that problem at all - the erased posts. Sure, I do have a problem with the server being busy, but I just hit back (my post is still there), and then continue again, and if that sitll doesn't work walk away for 5 min and come back.

The problem with going "back" is not one of mine. What web viewer do you use? Internet Explorer? It might be a web viewer issue. If you're having serious problems with this, or just want a change of flavour, you might want to try FireFox. It works the same as IE, except I prefer cause:

- In my opinion, it's a bit more pretty
- Has some features that I really like
- Easy to use, just like IE (almost nothing different on first appearance, but I think FF is a bit easier)
- Safer, higher security, and helps stop ad-ware/spyware downloads that are legal, but harmful for your computer.
- It's different

You can get it at:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Oh, I forgot to mention, it's completely free, so you don't have to worry about price! All the computers in our house use it, and no one, not even my parent (not going to tell you which one), who sometimes has trouble with a dvd player has trouble with FF.

Otherwise, I guess you can stick to the Ctrl-C (copy) and CTRL-D (paste) method.

Good Luck!

-- Zan

frvrngn
08-25-2006, 10:55 PM
I use Firefox and Opera. Unfortunately, most of my work needs to use IE. There are several sites I have to visit that do not like either Firefox or Opera. Both are secure govt sites, so that may be part of the issue. What ever it is, I am stuck with IE.

I havent tried WF with either Firefox or Opera yet. I really prefer the tabbed browsing available with both. I should just keep one of those open in the backround for the forums and leave IE up for work...

Grasshopper
08-25-2006, 11:08 PM
I normally use FireFox but for some reason it won't let me cut and paste in this forum. IE will. With IE, if I get "Server busy" I also loose what I was submitting. If I go "Back", I loose it.

rca
08-26-2006, 12:25 AM
I use Firefox pretty much exclusively and I lose the message I was typing if I get a server busy and hit the back button.

I'll give me you my highly trained, technical computer guy geek answer......man that's weird (scratches head).

:D:D:D

admin
08-26-2006, 04:15 AM
I'm going to up the limits quite a bit...should fix it

BlizzardBoy
08-26-2006, 06:15 AM

Tell me when it happens, and I'll tell you if it works!

-- Zan

aviatordave
08-26-2006, 07:44 AM
I wonder if it already happened, I have been in and out and have not been blocked. Of course it is Friday night and I am at home while everyone else is out......I need a life :rolleyes:

BlizzardBoy
08-26-2006, 04:21 PM
I wonder if it already happened, I have been in and out and have not been blocked. Of course it is Friday night and I am at home while everyone else is out......I need a life :rolleyes:

It doesn't happen everytime you try to post, you know:)! I was on yesterday (friday) and it told me it was busy, once.

PerlAddict
08-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Blizzard, what message editor are you using on the forums when you post - the basic, standard, or enhanced interface?

If you use the basic or standard interfaces, then your posts will remain if you hit the "Back" button. However, if you're using the snazz-o-fied "Enhanced" version, you'll lose everything in the post box if you go to another page after typing and then try to come back to the posting screen.

Just an FYI for folks having trouble ... might be worth giving up the enhanced editor for the standard one and losing a little functionality, but not losing posts when you hit a server snag or accidentally go back a page (which I sometimes do when I hit my 'backspace' key thinking my cursor is still in the typing box, which then sends me back one page in my browser instead, only to hit 'Foward' and have everything I've typed be gone).

One way to test it out is to type something in the post box, and then instead of hitting "Submit," just go to another webpage. Then hit your "Back" button and see if your post is still in the box. If you are using any version besides the "Enhanced" editor, it oughta still be there.

Hope that helps and clears things up a little!

Grasshopper
08-31-2006, 05:20 PM
Hey Perl,

How do you know if you're using the enhanced or standard. I know how to build a plane but computers are Black Magic to me.

PerlAddict
08-31-2006, 05:29 PM
Hehe. I just edited my post with a little message on how to test it, but the easiest way is to click the "User CP" link at the top of the forums, then select the "Edit Options" link on the page that comes up, and on the page THAT takes you to, scroll down and you'll see a "Message Editor Interface" section that you can switch between Basic, Standard, and Enhanced.

The enhanced version lets you do things like highlight a word and click "Ctrl + B" to bold it just like you would in Microsoft Word, and it keeps text formatting you copy and paste in from other sources. In the basic and standard versions, you have to use the buttons at the top of the post editing box to insert BBCode into your posts to get those same formatting effects.

Another example is copying a link. If you copy and paste a link in using the Enhanced editor, it will still be a link. If you do it with the other versions, it will only be the words and you'll have to use the button at the top of the posting screen to turn it back into a link again (though links starting with http or www should automatically turn into links again after you hit "Submit" and it posts).

BlizzardBoy
08-31-2006, 08:36 PM
I know this is getting a little off topic (the current posts) but I'm no longer having busy server problems, so if something was done, it has been fixed!

-- Zan

Rugar
09-01-2006, 01:24 AM

I know this is getting a little off topic (the current posts) but I'm no longer having busy server problems, so if something was done, it has been fixed!

-- Zan
Marc upped the limits last week and it seems to have fixed the problem. I haven't had the "Server Busy" page come up since.

firemanbill
09-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Marc upped the limits last week and it seems to have fixed the problem. I haven't had the "Server Busy" page come up since.

Me either, I agree, seems to be fixed!:D :D

Twmaster
09-01-2006, 02:16 AM
I got the sever busy page twice today and several times over the last three or four days.

firemanbill
09-01-2006, 02:17 AM
I got the sever busy page twice today and several times over the last three or four days.

Oh well, so much for my theory:( lol

Grasshopper
09-01-2006, 02:21 AM
I've had it a number of times this week. I couldn't get on at all last night.

jipp
09-01-2006, 03:53 AM
Yes, last night it was down. I thought i did something wrong at first. LOl guilty ? anyhow. working now. :D

chris.

BlizzardBoy
09-01-2006, 04:21 AM
Well then I guess I'm just lucky, eh?
-- Zan