PDA

View Full Version : Lipol Disposal!?

daughtry50
08-31-2005, 03:18 PM
I have an older generation Thunder Power 3 cell 2100 pack. It holds a charge but doesn't deliver enough amps to be usefull. The voltage drops to much at anything above about 8amps. I haven't been able to give it away. How to I dispose of a working lipol pack?

Unbalanced prop
08-31-2005, 03:58 PM
I discharge mine to 3 volts per cell, cut off the connector (one wire at a time) and soak in strong salt water for a couple days and then throw in the trash.

Doug

Matt Kirsch
08-31-2005, 05:30 PM
The whole point of soaking in salt water is to discharge the pack, so really, discharging to 3.0 Volts per cell first is redundant.

Unbalanced prop
08-31-2005, 05:45 PM
The whole point of soaking in salt water is to discharge the pack, so really, discharging to 3.0 Volts per cell first is redundant.

Yeah I agree, but I have had packs soak for a week and not be fully discharged. If I start out at low voltage, it doesn'r seem to take as long in the salt soak to get them to zero volts. just my $.02

DEoug

daughtry50
08-31-2005, 06:20 PM
I've used the salt water method on packs that were already damaged (plumped up like a hot-dog weinie). The instructions I found at the time said to pierce the pack (once it was cool) and then place it in salt water for an hour or so. So, I shouldn't pierce the good pack, just cut the leads and soak?

Unbalanced prop
08-31-2005, 06:35 PM
I have read threads where people pierced a pack and went in too far and shorted it out causing venting with flames. This could cause some exciting activity if done inside. IMHO..........DO NOT pierce a cell. Soaking it will "safely" discharge it.

Doug

Mike Parsons
08-31-2005, 06:40 PM
Daughtry,
The instructions that read to pierce the pack should have followed "after discharging". Hopefully they did anyway. I have read to many instances where users have peirced a pack with energy still inside to only short out the plates and cause a much larger problem.
My rule of thumb is that if the pack is damaged (puffed etc) I will simply soak it for as long as it takes and take no further action. If the pack is not damaged and maybe drained to far for example, I will run it down slowly on a motor with no prop until it is barely running , pierce the packs outside cover with a non-conductive tool (wooden barbecue skewers work well) . I then will soak for 24 hours and dispose of in the trash.

By discharging as Doug described you are releasing the energy from the pack, by making a slit in the pouch or poking a small hole (after discharge!), you are allowing the salt water to neutralize the cells electrolyte. However, many have stated that once the cell is discharged the electrolyte is harmless so the puncture step has been abandend by some.

It is certainly acceptable to simply cut one lead at a time (tape one off or cut one much shorter than the other) and soak. It could take two weeks, but there is no harm in it.

-Mike

ragbag
08-31-2005, 11:43 PM
The following is copied fro the Polyquest site. It is their reomended way.
By George

Damaged cells or packs
In the event your cells or packs were involved in a crash.....
Totally inspect the cells, wire leads and connections for possible short circuit.
If there is any doubt completely cut all wires from the cells and pack.
If any cells are dented or deformed do not use the pack again ever.
Follow disposal notes below.

Disposal of cells or packs
Discharge all cells individually to recommended cut-off voltage of 3.0 volts per cell.
Caution!! Cells may be warm or hot as usual during this discharge process.
After cooling, puncture small hole in cells and immerse in salt water for several hours.
Apply tape over over terminals, put in a bag and dispose of in trash.

As like any standard chemicals you use or store around work or home,
Follow all safety directions to prevent accidents or damage to persons or property.
Safety must be your first priority when using Lithium Polymer cells or packs.
Educate yourself, Educate your friends
And implement safe handling and usage of all Polymer Batteries.

PolyQuest Lithium Polymer Batteries distributed by RC Lipos, Inc are approved only for the Radio-Control Market. Use in any other application is not permitted without prior approval. Charging, discharging, use for Electric Motors and Flying Models may cause serious personal injury or property damage. In purchasing/using PolyQuest Polymer Batteries, the buyer/user, agrees to accept all responsibilities of these risks and not to hold PolyQuest (manufacturer), its Distributors or Retailers (including all owners and employees) responsible for any accidents, injury to persons, or damage to property.

Since many Radio-Control applications exceed the manufacturer's recommended maximum discharge rates there is no warranty (expressed or implied) by the manufacturer, its Distributors and Retailers in respect to the Cycle Life, Capacity, Cell Characteristics or Storage of cells/packs used in the Radio-Control market.

debhicks
09-01-2005, 01:28 AM
Start them at .01 on ebay and sell as is. Just a thought.

Or not.

Mike Parsons
09-01-2005, 01:38 AM
Or not.
I like that one better ;)

ragbag
09-01-2005, 02:51 AM
I quit Ebay a month ago!!!
By George

ForestCam
09-02-2005, 11:49 PM
You could always just drop them in the battery recycle bin at Home Depot.;)

Blaze.45
09-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Lol, Yeah "drop" them in the bin nice and hard... then read in the paper the following morning about a massive fire in downtown. haha :p

ragbag
09-04-2005, 02:13 PM
The purpose of the salt? It is the conductor in the water.

We all know the pure water is an insulator don't we, it is the impurities in the water that are the conductor. Electricity does not run "in" a wire or water, it runs on the suface of the conductor.

At least that is what they taught me in basic electricity back in 1955.

The lipo's are soaked in salt water, which is the slow and final discharge.

After a lipo is discharged it is nothing more than a piece of trash, will not hurt the enviroment or any of the nicad, nmhd type of bugaboo's.

By George:rolleyes: