PDA

View Full Version : Once in a lifetime find

Grasshopper
08-11-2006, 04:10 AM
I am totally stoked!!!!!!

When I was younger I owned a 65 and a 66 Mustang (both hard tops). I loved those cars. Of course as children and family responsibilities came along, I reluctantly parted ways with them. For the past 2 years I have been watching and looking for a 65 or 66 Mustang convertable. Yesterday, one shows up from virtually nowhere.

Not to drag the story out, a very close friend of mine had gotten word from a family member that an older farmer had a 65 convertible for sale. I know what you're thinking, Oh, it's the old "been in a barn for the last 30 years and they only drove it to church when it was new" story.

Turns out it has been in a garage for the past 17 years and has not seen the light of day. I hurridly left work yesterday morning to go look at it with check in hand just in case and was shocked at what we saw. There, sitting in an old one car garage, was a 1965 convertible all orginal, numbers matching 289 automatic under a cloth cover. The total car is original and complete. There is no major rust anywhere, no dents, chrome is perfect (other than the bumpers need rechromed) and no rips in the interior. The power top is in excellent shape. It is dirty as heck after sitting for 17 years and the farmer said in the 31 years he's owned it, it has always been garaged. He just has no use for it any more. The tags on it are 1989. The last year it was driven.

Immediately after inspecting it, I wrote him a check for the full amount asked. No trying to get the price down on this on as it was a great deal!!! It's being picked up by a roll back flat bed tow truck and taken to my mechanic Monday to have all the fluids drained, flushed and re-lubed before we even try to turn it over. The previous owner assures me everything was in perfect working order when it was parked.

Man, what a deal. Unfortunately, or fortunately, this will take away from my RC time as it will need some serious cleaning and the slow process of restoration will begin. Another friend of mine was telling an aquaintence of his that is an old mustang enthusiast about it today. The guy called me this evening and offered me 2 1/2 times what I paid for it sight unseen and wanted to bring me a check tonight. I politely declined as this was something I've been looking for for a long time and will be a nice project for my son and I as he gets older.

I can't sleep anymore. OK, thanks for listening. I just had to tell someone. The pictures below are of it sitting in the garage where it's been the last 17 years with the cover removed.

firemanbill
08-11-2006, 04:13 AM
Holy Smokes Tom!:eek: I'd say you have hit the mother load!

Beautiful!

Grasshopper
08-11-2006, 04:18 AM
Holy Smokes Tom!:eek: I'd say you have hit the mother load!

Beautiful!

I think I did Bill. I forgot that there are some beautiful after market speakers you can see hanging from the dash on the passenger side. That will be the first thing to go. Fortunately, they didn't do the old dash cutting trick to put in an 8 track. It still has the original AM radio.

Crash Test Dummy
08-11-2006, 04:19 AM
WOW!! Dude your killing me!!!! My 1st car was a 1964.5 hard top coupe with the very rare 260 Cubic inch motor. Man do I miss that car. Mine was White on White.

Great find, enjoy it!!

CTD

Grasshopper
08-11-2006, 04:22 AM
WOW!! Dude your killing me!!!! My 1st car was a 1964.5 hard top coupe with the very rare 260 Cubic inch motor. Man do I miss that car. Mine was White on White.

Great find, enjoy it!!

CTD

Thanks CTD! I asked my wife Tuesday night what she thought about me buying a mustang. I told her what I was going to look at and she said "Take the camera and a check. If you want it, get it."

Man I love that woman!

vax6335
08-11-2006, 04:36 AM
Wow, nice. I'd hang onto that for a very long time.

Oh, and please DO drive it. Cars were built to be driven, not parked and left to rot. It's just too much fun.

thomdoe
08-11-2006, 04:37 AM
Grasshopper just got tears in my eyes !! Great find K

Grasshopper
08-11-2006, 04:46 AM
Thanks guys. Vax,believe you me it will be driven. Not everyday of course but I wasn't wanting one that I'm afraid to drive. I agree 100% that they are meant to be driven. My wifes brother is a car fanatic. Here's a picture of me in his little baby last Memorial Day. Man it's a blast to drive and No it's not a kit. It's an original.

vax6335
08-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Wow.....

I feel really inspired to finish the engine for my Bug.

Twmaster
08-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Tom, thou inhale with vigor. ;)

Now if I could find a nice '71 Chevelle SS.....

Grasshopper
08-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Glad I could get the spark ignited again. I remember my first engine overhaul. It was my first car, a 1970 dark blue beetle. I loved that little car. They were so easy to work on. Although the heater and defroster (or lack of) sucked on them.

Grasshopper
08-11-2006, 05:10 AM
Tom, thou inhale with vigor. ;)

Now if I could find a nice '71 Chevelle SS.....

This same friend of mine told me his brother-in-law just sold his 67 Camaro RS/SS this week. He had owned it since it was just a few years old. I was shocked he sold it. He said it sold for 15K. It was in great shape.

Don Sims
08-11-2006, 11:00 AM
WOW! What a find Tom! Congrats on getting the dream car again!

Grasshopper
08-11-2006, 12:31 PM
WOW! What a find Tom! Congrats on getting the dream car again!

Thanks Don!

Honduras
08-11-2006, 02:40 PM
It looks like you found "my" Mustang. I bought it in "'66" while in the USN. Brougt back a lot of memories. Thanks, Jeff in Honduras

aviatordave
08-11-2006, 06:38 PM
nice car! (I hope this doesnt interfere with your magpie maiden LOL)

I've always had an eye for that car, maybe someday........

My Dad has always had a Chevy Corvair, still does - '66 2dr convertible with 40k original miles, he takes it to car shows. I have a hard time believing that the Corvair and the Mustang were rival cars......the Corvair is so much uglier! (Dont tell Dad that!)

Have fun with your new toy

Dave

Grasshopper
08-11-2006, 08:12 PM
Hey thanks Dave. The Magpie Maiden is on for Saturday morning weather permitting. Right now it looks like it should be perfect.

I've always actually like the Corvairs. I hope Mike Parsons isn't reading this but they're kind of like bulldogs in that they are so ugly they're cute. I actually like bulldogs too though.

Crash Test Dummy
08-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys. Vax,believe you me it will be driven. Not everyday of course but I wasn't wanting one that I'm afraid to drive. I agree 100% that they are meant to be driven. My wifes brother is a car fanatic. Here's a picture of me in his little baby last Memorial Day. Man it's a blast to drive and No it's not a kit. It's an original.
WOW!!

A real Cobra, that thing is worth it's weight in gold!! That is just too cool. My 64.5 Mustang had a cool auto trans, [I think it was only on early models] if you put it in the 3rd gear position it would start out from a dead stop in 2nd gear. It was for driving in snow and rain. I owned that car during the blizzard of 1979 and with snow tires it was like a little tank. Just put it in second gear and wisper on the throttle and she would push rite through the snow. Man do I miss that car, sniff,sniff. Check out your trans and see if it has that feature. On mine if you put the stick whare you would usually put it for second gear it would shift 1st 2nd 3rd like normal.

CTD

TLyttle
08-13-2006, 02:25 AM
We finally had to replace our '67 Rustang with an '80; now working on an '87 coupe 4-holer...

Worst experience in my life was to turn down a '64 1/2 ragtop with a 6 and a Dagenham 4-speed in it; only a small number built. Eight hundred bucks, but my wife-at-the-time nixed the deal. I should have kept the car and dumped her!

Grasshopper
08-13-2006, 02:47 AM
We finally had to replace our '67 Rustang with an '80; now working on an '87 coupe 4-holer...

Worst experience in my life was to turn down a '64 1/2 ragtop with a 6 and a Dagenham 4-speed in it; only a small number built. Eight hundred bucks, but my wife-at-the-time nixed the deal. I should have kept the car and dumped her!

Car probably would have been cheaper too.

TLyttle
08-14-2006, 02:13 AM
I'll say... once we went our separate ways, I was a far wealthier man, but the Stang was gone...(boohooo).

Time goes by, and you want to hire someone to kick the daylights out of your butt 3 times a week over the cars you let go by. I have owned Packards, a Standard14, a few Rustangs, a couple of Volvos (really miss those!!), and had the opportunity to buy many, many others: Continental Mk1s, Buick 8s, Chryslers, all the heavy Iron, passed up on an Aston Martin DB4 for $1200, Berkeleys, Humbers, oh, dear, bring on the buttkicker...

aircruiser
08-16-2006, 06:50 AM
HOLY SMOKES!

My dad has pics of a 65 he once had. Good deal!

Mostly around here they're completly restored or rusted to the chassis.

Nice find and a good project!

Me and my dad are currently trying to get his 77 arrow to run smooth.

Good luck with the pony! Have fun!

-Grant

Grasshopper
08-16-2006, 02:15 PM
HOLY SMOKES!

My dad has pics of a 65 he once had. Good deal!

Mostly around here they're completly restored or rusted to the chassis.

Nice find and a good project!

Me and my dad are currently trying to get his 77 arrow to run smooth.

Good luck with the pony! Have fun!

-Grant

Thanks Grant!

Grasshopper
11-12-2006, 02:37 AM
Thought I would post some pics of the Mustang since I've got it cleaned up. All I have done so far is give it a complete tune up and a lot of elbow grease. I did put new tires on it. For some reason they weren't very round after sitting flat for 17 years. She runs great. Now if Spring would hurry up and get here all will be good.

firemanbill
11-12-2006, 03:02 AM
Sweet Tom! I think it's a keeper:D

That is one of the all time classic cars looks right there!

aircruiser
11-12-2006, 03:20 AM
*drool*

that is one sweet stallion!!

Grasshopper
11-12-2006, 03:23 AM
Thanks Bill and AC. My 4 year old son already calls it "His Mustang" we'll see about that in ....say...30 years?

nogassershere
11-12-2006, 04:06 AM
grasshopper I have a 65' california GT right here in the garage killed me CX a couple of weeks ago.it's in pcs as I am or should I say was restoring her then I got bit by the Heli bug haven't touched her in weeks I'll take some pics my wife wants me to sell her so I think it's time plus I have way to many hobbies now going to Ebay the stang maybe next week enjoy yours buddy there really cool good score

aircruiser
11-12-2006, 04:07 AM
lol, well, my dad has an old 77 arrow in the garage that we gotta fix soon (running really rich), taking the carburetor out, anyways, I used to do that when I was 7...I wanted that car so bad.

Maybe I just didn't read right, but what engine did you say it had?

289?

Grasshopper
11-12-2006, 04:08 AM
Yep, C Code 289.

aircruiser
11-12-2006, 04:15 AM
Whoops just re-read!

Matching numbers too?? WOW!! That's a great find!

My friend had a neighbor with a 289 in his 66 bronco. It was a great truck! But the 289 threw a rod and the 302 dropped in just right. Great find!

If you ever wanna sell to a fellow Ford addict...shoot me a pm! :D

Grasshopper
11-12-2006, 05:01 AM
Probably not going to be for sale anytime soon but I'll keep you in mind.

aircruiser
11-12-2006, 05:51 AM
Probably not going to be for sale anytime soon but I'll keep you in mind.

:)

I wouldn't expect you too.

Finding a car liek that, I would want it buried next to me when I died...

max2112
11-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Man that is one good looking Mustang!!

You must have had a lot of good karma built up to find that deal!!

I'll just sign this one...

"Jealous in Germany"!

J/K :D

gsk11740
11-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Nice car! I love reading threads like this. It's always nice to see another classic brought back to life. I had a '65 Mustang GT notchback that unfortuantely I let go of years ago. It had the "pony" interior, tach and clock on the steering column, the factory steel chrome wheels and everything. I still kick myself for selling it!

Then there was the '63 Chevy Impala SS 409, the '67 Camaro, the '70 Olds 442 W-30, The '66 Buick Riviera GS, and a few others that I had and like a damned fool sold.

Man, now I'm totally depressed! :(

Don Sims
11-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Awww gsk, don't get depressed, go out and fly for a bit! ;)

Tom, it's really coming along!

gsk11740
11-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Awww gsk, don't get depressed, go out and fly for a bit! ;)

Tom, it's really coming along!

I would if it wasn't raining with 30mph wind gusts. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

I was joking about getting depressed. I got over the "lost classics" a long time ago. I just have to be careful not to watch the Barrett-Jackson auto auctions on TV. That brings the pain back! ;)

Grasshopper
11-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys,

gsk, I know what you mean, I used to have 65 and 66 mustangs, 63 Nova and a 77 Corvette. Then came children. When this Mustang showed up, I couldn't pass it up. Now that the kids are mostly grown (one in college, one in Sr. High, one in Junior high and one in Pre-school) I thought I would have time for it. Man, I just realized I'm no where close to having the kids out. Since the oldest three are girls, I still have 3 weddings too.

Man, now I'm depressed and it's too windy to fly and too cold to get the convertible out.

gsk11740
11-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys,

gsk, I know what you mean, I used to have 65 and 66 mustangs, 63 Nova and a 77 Corvette. Then came children. When this Mustang showed up, I couldn't pass it up. Now that the kids are mostly grown (one in college, one in Sr. High, one in Junior high and one in Pre-school) I thought I would have time for it. Man, I just realized I'm no where close to having the kids out. Since the oldest three are girls, I still have 3 weddings too.

Man, now I'm depressed and it's too windy to fly and too cold to get the convertible out.

Due to an odd twist of fate, I ended up with the job of "Mr. Mom" a few years ago. Both my wife and I got laid off at the same time and she got a really good paying job before I did so we decided I would stay home and take care of our son. Sounds like the movie? I thought "Great! Lots of free time to do things!"

WRONG!!!

Of course it took me a little while to figure out I didn't have any free time but by then, I had a garage full of projects and toys. I still manage to "steal" a little time here and there (usually at the expense of some house chores that I hide away until I can get to them) to play with the R/C stuff but the really big projects like my VW Bus and my Mercedes are just sitting, waiting. I still find the occasional "deal" like the '63 Corvair I could have had for free but I have to turn them down. Oh well.

wingdragon
12-02-2006, 06:02 AM
How much did it cost and what where the miles? Im currently looking for something special like that all original. Maybe 80's bmw,jeeps,912 or a stang like that gesh good catch. That would go $20k on ebay

Grasshopper
12-02-2006, 03:19 PM
How much did it cost and what where the miles? Im currently looking for something special like that all original. Maybe 80's bmw,jeeps,912 or a stang like that gesh good catch. That would go $20k on ebay

That's the part that's so unreal. I paid $7,000 for it. I couldn't write the check and get it out of there fast enough. It has 106,000 miles on it.

aircruiser
12-02-2006, 06:07 PM
That looks better then some mustangs of that year that I have seen in showrooms!!

Looks like it just rolled off the production line!

Good work!